Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Our OL Actually Top 10 in Run Blocking?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Is Our OL Actually Top 10 in Run Blocking? Reply with quote

According to Football Outsiders we are. For the 2016 season, we are 3rd in pass protection and 6th in run blocking.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Also, according to TeamRankings, we're 7th in team yards per rush attempt. Yet, we're only 25th in rushing play percentage. So maybe the lack of bulk rushing stats had us underrating our run blocking and running back prowess, and overrating the rest of the leagues'?

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/rushing-play-pct

We certainly didn't seem like a top 6 run blocking unit on film, but I think we're a lot better than most fans think. Currently, I think we're definitely a top 5 pass blocking unit though. Upgrade LG, and I think our OL is a top 3 unit next year.

Food for thought.
MKnight82

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we run so little that we catch teams off guard when we do, which increases our yards per carry. If we tried to be a run heavy team I don't think that average would hold up.

Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
I think we run so little that we catch teams off guard when we do, which increases our yards per carry. If we tried to be a run heavy team I don't think that average would hold up.

Maybe, but I'm not so sure. If you look at the other teams who have a low rushing play percentage, they either have a terrible rushing YPA like Minnesota, NYG, LAR, Detroit, Baltimore, San Diego etc. or they are teams that are considered legitimately good at running the football, with very good RBs, like Arizona, Chicago, and New Orleans.

Cleveland and GB prove your point when it comes to YPC, but they are both far down the list when it comes to Football Outsider's Adjusted Line Yards.

We're close to Arizona, Chicago, and NO on all the lists.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/rushing-play-pct
https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/yards-per-rush-attempt
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol
MKnight82

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I guess my biggest complaint with this assessment is that when we really want to run the ball it doesn't seem like we can.

HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
Yeah, I guess my biggest complaint with this assessment is that when we really want to run the ball it doesn't seem like we can.

Yea, true. But we might be looking at it with bias because we're so used to seeing teams convert must-have running plays against us at about a 90% success rate Laughing
Doc Draper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starters evaluation on run blocking
Scherff A
Nscheke A
Long B
Lauvao C
Williams C
Moses C
TE D

Doesn't seem like a top OL. Fat Rob saved them like Morris used to and getting Kort out of there changed from the RB getting blown up 3 yards in backfield

Are there statistics on things like 3rdand 1 or 2 and 4th and 1 run success? That's how I judge a OL- when everybody knows you are running, you blow them off the ball and get 3-4 yards
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall we are a good run blocking OL but when we face good interior D lines we get overpowered at the POA and fail. We also have unbalanced play calling. When we face lesser DL's we stick with the run more and win games like we did during our 4 game - and nearly 5 game win streak in mid season.

Bottomline is our interior OL got manhandled vs Az, Car & the NYG's.

We need to cut Lauvao and sign or draft an upgrade or hope that Nsekhe or Kouandijo can be an upgrade at LG, I think they could be. We also could re-sign Sullivan and make him our starting C and move Long back to LG. Let's not forget that when Sully started at C he arguably was an immediate upgrade over Long and then Long would be an upgrade over Lauvao at LG.

So, I think we were good against the run, but we needed to and need to run more in the future so we are more balanced on offense and that helps Kirk and the defense also.

I also think we had some of our best running performances against average or worse DLs. When we faced good of great front 7's, our OL struggled to run block a lot all year. Our starting RBs remained inconsistent all year, yes, both of them. Some of that was their own doing they were sometimes hesitant, missed some holes and left a lot of yards on the field. Maybe Mack Brown should be our starting RB because he seems to see a hole, hit that hold and explode through it for a long run or TDs. We do need to get better at the interior OL also and our OTs can be better also at run blocking.

Hopefully we can accomplish this by just replacing Lauvao but we do need upgrades in all the areas I mentioned and we need our current players to be more consistent and better against the best competition.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Draper wrote:
Starters evaluation on run blocking
Scherff A
Nscheke A
Long B
Lauvao C
Williams C
Moses C
TE D

Doesn't seem like a top OL. Fat Rob saved them like Morris used to and getting Kort out of there changed from the RB getting blown up 3 yards in backfield

Are there statistics on things like 3rdand 1 or 2 and 4th and 1 run success? That's how I judge a OL- when everybody knows you are running, you blow them off the ball and get 3-4 yards

I'm sure there are, but I'm too lazy to research it Laughing

But judging based on short yardage situations puts teams that run zone-based blocking schemes at a disadvantage compared to power based schemes, so I don't really think that can be the sole determining factor.
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Overall we are a good run blocking OL but when we face good interior D lines we get overpowered at the POA and fail. We also have unbalanced play calling. When we face lesser DL's we stick with the run more and win games like we did during our 4 game - and nearly 5 game win streak in mid season.

Bottomline is our interior OL got manhandled vs Az, Car & the NYG's.

We need to cut Lauvao and sign or draft an upgrade or hope that Nsekhe or Kouandijo can be an upgrade at LG, I think they could be. We also could re-sign Sullivan and make him our starting C and move Long back to LG. Let's not forget that when Sully started at C he arguably was an immediate upgrade over Long and then Long would be an upgrade over Lauvao at LG.

So, I think we were good against the run, but we needed to and need to run more in the future so we are more balanced on offense and that helps Kirk and the defense also.

I also think we had some of our best running performances against average or worse DLs. When we faced good of great front 7's, our OL struggled to run block a lot all year. Our starting RBs remained inconsistent all year, yes, both of them. Some of that was their own doing they were sometimes hesitant, missed some holes and left a lot of yards on the field. Maybe Mack Brown should be our starting RB because he seems to see a hole, hit that hold and explode through it for a long run or TDs. We do need to get better at the interior OL also and our OTs can be better also at run blocking.

Hopefully we can accomplish this by just replacing Lauvao but we do need upgrades in all the areas I mentioned and we need our current players to be more consistent and better against the best competition.

That's all true Turtle, but I think we as fans are too harsh on our own guys. Every OL struggles against good to great front 7's. Even Dallas. Look at how much they struggled against the Giants front 7. Lucky for them, they didn't have to go against Carolina or Arizona this year. When you look around the league, most other teams run more than us, and generate more yards, so it looks like our team is average or below average in the running game. In reality, if we stick with the run, I think we would be much better. We would also put less of an onus on Cousins.
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Draper wrote:

Sadly, I think this is where our OL sucked the most - all of them & our TEs. Which caused our RBs to be hesitant the last two years at the LOS.

No doubt that our interior OL being poor in short yardage and 2nd & medium cost this team points and ultimately games this season. It also put more pressure on Cousins & the passing game alone to carry the team to the playoffs which just isn't a recipient for sustained success.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're the 7th best OL in the league according to PFF.
Doc Draper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:

whats our defense line ranking? =pooh stink
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
And that's even with Lauvao starting @ Lg - obviously a weak link. We can upgrade LG with in house options, FA or the draft rather easily I think.

We have to find a Logan Paulsen type TE also, anyone notice our running game hasn't been the same since he and DY were sent packing?

We really need a blocking TE in the worst way. We should have kept 4 TEs this past year and should next year also with one of them being primarily a blocker who at most gets you like 25 recs in a year.

And no, Carrier isn't that dude, he's a converted WR and the only TE he blocks better than on this current roster is Jordan's agreed who IMO could just kcor to WR full time and just forget the whole TE thing. That makes our WR group stronger and then we can start Davis at TE and draft a 260 pound TE who can block and catch.

turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Draper wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:

Don't worry, the minute we hire a new DC we'll automatically be top 10... happened last time didn't it? Oh no, no wait, it didn't...

MKnight82

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:

Don't worry, the minute we hire a new DC we'll automatically be top 10... happened last time didn't it? Oh no, no wait, it didn't...
Whines about every thread being about Cousins in one thread, then whines about our pathetically awful ex DC in a thread about Olineman. #Turtlelogic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: