Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dallas offseason
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
I think a more realistic trade partner would be Denver, since they are projected to add two more 3rd round compensatory picks. Maybe their 3rd and a future 4th that can escalate depending on performance and team success.

I would tell Denver good luck with Siemian if they offered that.

Just have a hard time seeing a first round pick for Romo. He hasn't really played since 2014, he's 37, and he is a huge injury risk. In fact, realistically, I think its more likely Romo gets released outright than traded, but that's a topic for another time. I think a pair of mid-round picks (with upside for that 4th to escalate) is a fair price for a bridge-the-gap QB for Paxton Lynch.

^El Ramster

Adopt a Cowboy - Tyrone Crawford - 28 Tackles | 8 TFL | 4.5 Sacks | 22 Hurries

Cicero wrote:
You're the Tony Romo we never deserved.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: To NYFDB

It is for Cleveland.

Denver and Houston have reason to believe that Romo makes them immediate contenders. Buffalo has reason to believe Romo makes them a playoff team. Miami, Minnesota, Cincinnati, Arizona, or KC may decide that their current QBs have peaked and their team needs a boost over the top.

If any three of those teams seriously believe that, there's going to be a bidding war and the Cowboys win big. There's simply no one out there who brings the immediate upside that Romo does. No one even close.

The good news for Romo is that he's worth far more to a contender than he is to a rebuilder like the Browns.

Last edited by Dirk Gently on Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:
I think a more realistic trade partner would be Denver, since they are projected to add two more 3rd round compensatory picks. Maybe their 3rd and a future 4th that can escalate depending on performance and team success.

I would tell Denver good luck with Siemian if they offered that.

Just have a hard time seeing a first round pick for Romo. He hasn't really played since 2014, he's 37, and he is a huge injury risk. In fact, realistically, I think its more likely Romo gets released outright than traded, but that's a topic for another time. I think a pair of mid-round picks (with upside for that 4th to escalate) is a fair price for a bridge-the-gap QB for Paxton Lynch.

And I think giving up a pair of mid round picks (as in not taking them) is more than worth the insurance against being Minnesota, Denver, Houston, Oakland or Miami next year.
eagles suck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Rams would love to pull and get a QB like Romo. I think he can help Goff in many ways. I also think they would go as far as giving up their 2nd rd pick for him.

RECEPTION-69 YARDS-673 TD'S-3
TD-ES-JJ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What has more value a 3rd round pick or $14mil in cap space next season? That's the question that has to be answered when deciding whether to trade, keep or release Tony.

IMO if we can't get a 1st or 2nd rd pick for Tony the best move for the team and Tony might just be releasing him as a June 1st cut, to sign with whomever he wants.
resilient

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TD-ES-JJ wrote:
What has more value a 3rd round pick or $14mil in cap space next season? That's the question that has to be answered when deciding whether to trade, keep or release Tony.

IMO if we can't get a 1st or 2nd rd pick for Tony the best move for the team and Tony might just be releasing him as a June 1st cut, to sign with whomever he wants.

since Dallas is on FIRE with their drafting (the GOAT draft 2016) I prefer the draft picks.
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:

It is for Cleveland.

Denver and Houston have reason to believe that Romo makes them immediate contenders. Buffalo has reason to believe Romo makes them a playoff team. Miami, Minnesota, Cincinnati, Arizona, or KC may decide that their current QBs have peaked and their team needs a boost over the top.

If any three of those teams seriously believe that, there's going to be a bidding war and the Cowboys win big. There's simply no one out there who brings the immediate upside that Romo does. No one even close.

The good news for Romo is that he's worth far more to a contender than he is to a rebuilder like the Browns.

Still, just no way. Not for a 37 year old with chronic injuries, who hasn't played since 2014, and has 2 career playoff wins. I agree that Romo gives these teams a chance to contend, but he doesn't make them Super Bowl locks. Far from it. You are going to need a bidding war to get a 1st for him, much less 3 premium picks.

If these teams are willing to give those picks up for a QB, they'll call of New England and offer that for Jimmy G.

I'll take a 2018 first round pick after the draft and call it a major win.
ware94

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:

It is for Cleveland.

Still, just no way. Not for a 37 year old with chronic injuries, who hasn't played since 2014, and has 2 career playoff wins. I agree that Romo gives these teams a chance to contend, but he doesn't make them Super Bowl locks. Far from it. You are going to need a bidding war to get a 1st for him, much less 3 premium picks.

If these teams are willing to give those picks up for a QB, they'll call of New England and offer that for Jimmy G.

I never thought about that. That's a very good point!
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're thinking contenders, I think the trading options for Romo are far more limited than what's being thrown around. Think you can cross Arizona, Minnesota, and Houston off the list.

Quote:
Cowboys exec on Romo: "There were seasons where, without him, we'd have been the Cleveland Browns and won two games."
HDsportsfan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ware94 wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:

It is for Cleveland.

How can you even compare Jimmy G to Romo tho? Confused

------------------------------------------------------
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
If you're thinking contenders, I think the trading options for Romo are far more limited than what's being thrown around. Think you can cross Arizona, Minnesota, and Houston off the list.

Why? Houston in particular seems to be the one most likely to want Romo.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirk Gently wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:

Palmer carries $28m in dead money. Minnesota isn't going to trade for Romo after trading a 1st and 4th for Bradford are they? I don't think so. Houston really going to walk away from Osweiler after one season and eat $25m? Can't see that happening either.

Quote:
Cowboys exec on Romo: "There were seasons where, without him, we'd have been the Cleveland Browns and won two games."
Tony7188

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw an analysis about Romo's trade value on a blogging site, which took into account different factors. I think a fair trade would be this:

Dallas receives:
+ 2017 2nd round pick
+ 2018 3rd round pick (conditional - pick becomes a 2nd if Denver makes it to Championship game, a 1st if Denver makes it to the Super Bowl)

Denver receives:
+ Tony Romo

NoFlyZone wrote:
Byron Jones is terrible. I'm sorry.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:
WizardHawk wrote:

Palmer carries $28m in dead money. Minnesota isn't going to trade for Romo after trading a 1st and 4th for Bradford are they? I don't think so. Houston really going to walk away from Osweiler after one season and eat $25m? Can't see that happening either.

Arizona has a TON of cap room and could eat Palmer in one gulp, and would net a cap savings Jun 1. I don't see them as likely suitors, but there's nothing preventing them from doing it.

Your assessment of Minnesota's problem is accurate-- they don't have enough pick value left to be trading away high value ones.

Deandre Hopkins is a top 10 receiver. He had 952 yds and 4 TD this year.

Osweiler had one game over 7 yards per attempt all year. He had five games with less than 5 ypa. He had two games with a passer rating of 90 or better and none with 100 or better. He had 7 with less than 70. If they stick with him their GM should be executed.

Oh, and Romo has 7 seasons with as many or more TD as Osweiler has thrown in his career... bearing in mind that Osweiler has always thrown to guys like Hopkins and Thomas.
Dirk Gently

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HDsportsfan wrote:
ware94 wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Dirk Gently wrote:

It is for Cleveland.

How can you even compare Jimmy G to Romo tho? Confused

Hey, Garoppolo has a career passer rating of 106.2, so clearly he's better than Romo... and unlike Romo he can go two games without getting hurt... oh, wait

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: