Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Draft strategy QB
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LFOX21

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Draft strategy QB Reply with quote

I want cousins back like the majority of you but if his contract is going to be detrimental to the team what would you guys think of franchising him this offseason if a deal can not be reached and draft a QB in the second rd

If Watson, kizor, or Kayya is there when we pick in the second would you guys be against it?

If cousins is franchised we could possibly be offered two first rounders. It kinda sounds like he doesn't even want to come back, if a team doesn't offer picks for him he can play out the season and after that have a competition with McCoy and our second round pick, I like that Kayya comes from a pro style offense, and Watson is a play maker
MikeT14

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, let's assume for the sake of the thread, we move on and do this...

I honestly don't know enough about QBs when watching them minus my own eye test, but I wouldn't do anything higher than a late 4th on Kaaya, and a 3rd on Kizer. I feel like Kizer, like Trubinsky, is a flash in the pan without a lot to show yet. Watson would be the only one I'd use my 2nd on, and even then I wouldn't love it.

There isn't really a QB I like early. Later? Maybe Mahomes.

Obviously I will be wrong about some of this, but I don't want to take the chance.

- mike23md

D.C. Sports: Hope is fine, but believing is where we screw up.
lavar703

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing "flash in the pan" about Trubisky. The Browns are dumb as hell if they don't pick him.
naptownskinsfan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2018 is going to be a much better year for QBs. If we have doubts about extending Cousins, then we should franchise him again, and continue to build the offense around the QB position while improving the defense. If Cousins proves not to be the answer, then you have someone we draft in the first round in 2018 and plug them in to play right away. Unless someone we like falls in the draft this year, I would not draft a QB this year.
A TRAIN 89

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redskins have 5 picks in the 1st 4 rounds. I would not be surprised if we take a QB with one of those 4th round picks.
MKnight82

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A TRAIN 89 wrote:
Redskins have 5 picks in the 1st 4 rounds. I would not be surprised if we take a QB with one of those 4th round picks.
A 4th round QB wouldn't shock me. Anything earlier than that would definitely be surprising.

Adopt-a-Redskin: Bashaud Breeland
MikeT14

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:
There's nothing "flash in the pan" about Trubisky. The Browns are dumb as hell if they don't pick him.

Well considering the three games I watched this year with him, I didn't see anything I loved. Including the hurricane game. Evans didn't have any issues.

- mike23md

D.C. Sports: Hope is fine, but believing is where we screw up.
MKnight82

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeT14 wrote:
lavar703 wrote:

Well considering the three games I watched this year with him, I didn't see anything I loved. Including the hurricane game. Evans didn't have any issues.
He shredded Virginia. But so did a lot of people.

Adopt-a-Redskin: Bashaud Breeland
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeT14 wrote:
Okay, let's assume for the sake of the thread, we move on and do this...

I honestly don't know enough about QBs when watching them minus my own eye test, but I wouldn't do anything higher than a late 4th on Kaaya, and a 3rd on Kizer. I feel like Kizer, like Trubinsky, is a flash in the pan without a lot to show yet. Watson would be the only one I'd use my 2nd on, and even then I wouldn't love it.

There isn't really a QB I like early. Later? Maybe Mahomes.

Obviously I will be wrong about some of this, but I don't want to take the chance.
Kizer has been a good to great qb for two years at ND. Trubinsky proved he should be a top 15 pick, Mahomes and Kaya will probably work their way to the late 1st to the 2nd round. These are Qbs, most important position int he field just like the Hackenberg's amongst others over the decades, some of them will get drafted higher than they should be because of the position they play.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Draft strategy QB Reply with quote

LFOX21 wrote:
I want cousins back like the majority of you but if his contract is going to be detrimental to the team what would you guys think of franchising him this offseason if a deal can not be reached and draft a QB in the second rd

If Watson, kizor, or Kayya is there when we pick in the second would you guys be against it?

If cousins is franchised we could possibly be offered two first rounders. It kinda sounds like he doesn't even want to come back, if a team doesn't offer picks for him he can play out the season and after that have a competition with McCoy and our second round pick, I like that Kayya comes from a pro style offense, and Watson is a play maker
Imo we won't take a qb this year unless we lose Cousins. I understand your thought process as well as Mknight's in another thread and DCRED's but the problem is we don't have a roster spot for a 4th qb. That's where the problem lies In this theory for this season. If Cousins is back - obviously he's the starter - McCoy is a reliable back up and they have Sudfeld developing with the Qb whisperer (Jay Gruden) as a young #3 second year qb.

Sure, we could cut Sudfeld or stash Sudfeld on the practice squad but I think it's highly unlikely that McCloughan and Gruden will want to give up on Sudfeld after just one year. As I said in another thread, Sudfeld has a lot of arm talent, I think more than even Cousins, and he has Ben Roethisberger type size. Sudfeld just needs to develop and learn an NFL offense. At Indiana he plays every year in a spread offense and didn't take many - if any - snaps under center.

Bottomline is we are going to give Sudfeld another year, and probably another 1 or 2 of development to maybe be our future #2 qb and maybe more if Cousins ever leaves. So, IMO until the day Cousins or McCoy are gone, I don't see us drafting a qb at all.

I know people disagree, but why take a player when you don't have a roster spot for them? Unless after one season they already think Sudfeld has no hope to develop into a reliable back up and I doubt they think that if Sudfeld already.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Doc Draper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see us getting a fourth QB for a number of reasons- you need 4 arms in offseason and training camp, anything can happen including injuries (we were very fortunate this year with injuries on offense at OL and QB) and a guy may either beat our Sudfield or be staffs on IR for development. My guy I am intrigued with is CJ Beathard. He had a really good sophomore and junior year and during his senior year played behind a sub-par OL with sub-par receivers. Perfect developmental guy to take a risk.
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:
Agreed, the same can be said of the browns when they passed on Wentz last draft. They look really stupid for passing on him now.

turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Draper wrote:
I see us getting a fourth QB for a number of reasons- you need 4 arms in offseason and training camp, anything can happen including injuries (we were very fortunate this year with injuries on offense at OL and QB) and a guy may either beat our Sudfield or be staffs on IR for development. My guy I am intrigued with is CJ Beathard. He had a really good sophomore and junior year and during his senior year played behind a sub-par OL with sub-par receivers. Perfect developmental guy to take a risk.
Camp arms just like camp legs for our kickers can be signed as free agents of udfa's. If those udfa QBs perform well they can take Sudfelds spot or be on our practice squad. There's no reason to draft a qb.

RSkinGM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
lavar703 wrote:
Agreed, the same can be said of the browns when they passed on Wentz last draft. They look really stupid for passing on him now.

Wentz..????????????? The Browns look stupid ????? Laughing Laughing Laughing
lavar703

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeT14 wrote:
lavar703 wrote:

Jerod threw for 75-yards against UNC.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: