You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How does 12 Teams Sound For A Playoff Assuming 4 Get Bye
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
UtahUtesFan


Joined: 19 Dec 2016
Posts: 16
Location: Utah
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 is perfect, it gets rid of this so called gap between the P5 and G5.

5 conference champions, 1 G5 conference champion, 2 highest ranked CFP wild card.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
seminoles1


Joined: 10 Jan 2005
Posts: 42289
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youngosu wrote:
seminoles1 wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:
I feel like 4 is perfectly fine, but wouldn't be upset with 8. Anything else is stupid. Byes in college are stupid. Watering down the field is stupid. With 8 though, you can't just make it the 5 conf champs get in IMO, say a 12-0 Florida State plays a 8-4 Virginia Tech and VT wins. VT doesn't deserve to be in the playoff. Should be the best team from each conference, highest ranked G5 team if there is one, and 2 or 3 at larges depending on if there's a G5 team or not.
Agreed somewhat. It needs to be the Power 5 Conference Champions...but they have to meet a certain standard. Maybe anything worse than 10-3 after CCG means your auto-disqualified and a 4th at-large team is taken.
So schedule easy game than? That's what you are suggesting.

Get 4 easy OOC wins to make sure you don't fail to meet the arbitrary 10-3 standard instead of challenging yourself knowing that you can lose to a quality opponent but still get back into by winning your conference. That is essentially what such a rule would encourage.

And honestly, how big of a problem is this? Might happen what once every 8-10 years at best?

If you change the rule/policy that prevents teams that are on probation from playing in conference title games it would be even rarer. When was the last time a team with 4 losses won its conference without the help of teams on probation?
I think 2011.

I just threw it out there quickly. Also stipulate you can't have more than 2 OOC games against non-Power 5 teams (or something similar to that) to keep schools from doing what you suggested.
_________________

To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift-Steve Prefontaine

The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Dr. Philly


Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 49010
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything more than 6 is too much.
_________________


simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies


#JDI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spartica4Real


Joined: 26 Jan 2013
Posts: 8791
Location: Louisiana
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the 12-0 team in the same conference as the 8-4 team has such an easier schedule. This is the dumbest conversation I've ever been a part of. Conference championship is not playoffs. It is post-season. Or do you not know the difference there either? Wouldn't surprise me. How about this? Undefeated Clemson beats Georgia Tech in the reg season. Clemson goes undefeated, GT 8-4 or 9-3, whatever. GT wins conf championship against a team that already beat them once.

And no I'm not trying to protect something that happens once a decade. Literally all I said was take the best team from each conference and gave ONE EXAMPLE of a situation that could occur. If the team that won the conf championship was already close with the team that lost then obviously they would go.
_________________

Saints
Astros
Pelicans

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
youngosu


Joined: 30 Dec 2016
Posts: 20
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
Yeah the 12-0 team in the same conference as the 8-4 team has such an easier schedule. This is the dumbest conversation I've ever been a part of. Conference championship is not playoffs. It is post-season. Or do you not know the difference there either? Wouldn't surprise me. How about this? Undefeated Clemson beats Georgia Tech in the reg season. Clemson goes undefeated, GT 8-4 or 9-3, whatever. GT wins conf championship against a team that already beat them once.

And no I'm not trying to protect something that happens once a decade. Literally all I said was take the best team from each conference and gave ONE EXAMPLE of a situation that could occur. If the team that won the conf championship was already close with the team that lost then obviously they would go.


I love how simply because you disagree with someone its the "dumbest conversation you've ever had"

Again, conference championships are playoffs. They are the very definition of a playoff game. Just because they aren't officially named "playoff games" doesn't mean they aren't playoff games. Every championship game is a playoff game.

Postseason vs. Playoff?

Seriously?

So I guess because the NFL officially calls its playoffs the postseason its not a playoff anymore right? Jesus....There is no difference.


As for a 12-0 team benefitting from their schedule despite being the in same conference, look at the SEC which plays 8 conference games. 6 of those games are within its division. Its quite possible that an 8-4 team from the SEC and a 12-0 team from the SEC could have as few as 4 common opponents so yes it is very possible that being in the opposite division can in fact result in a much easier schedule. But don't let math and facts get in the way of insulting me for disagreeing with you.

As to your question about GT vs. Clemson, GT should get the automatic bid because GT won the PLAYOFF game that the ACC uses to determine its champ. And yes it is in fact a PLAYOFF game.


Clemson can still get 1 of the at large bids. And if they were truly better they'll prove it.


And for the record, here is the definition of playoff:
-an additional game or period of play that decides the outcome of a tied contest.
-a series of contests played to determine the winner of a championship, as between the leading teams in different divisions or leagues.

And here is the definition of postseason:
-(of a sporting event) taking place after the end of the regular season.

So conference championships fit the very definition of playoff and postseason but definitely not just postseason. I know you think insulting me and claiming you are superior wins the argument but thats not really how it works. Nice try though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spartica4Real


Joined: 26 Jan 2013
Posts: 8791
Location: Louisiana
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'm done. No it is not the worst conversation I've had because you disagreed with me. People have disagreed with me before, you just have a really dumb illogical thought process on this, and you're so far into this thought process you think that I'm saying it's dumb just because we don't agree, no... it's dumb because it's dumb. So I'm done with the conversation.
_________________

Saints
Astros
Pelicans

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
youngosu


Joined: 30 Dec 2016
Posts: 20
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
Yeah I'm done. No it is not the worst conversation I've had because you disagreed with me. People have disagreed with me before, you just have a really dumb illogical thought process on this, and you're so far into this thought process you think that I'm saying it's dumb just because we don't agree, no... it's dumb because it's dumb. So I'm done with the conversation.


Yeah, its "dumb and illogical" to want conference championships to actually mean something.

Okay, whatever you say.


Makes far more sense to let Clemson (in your scenario above) sit their stars in the conference championship game since they'd be in the playoff anyway. Yep, that's some impressive logic you got there.

Because I'm curious:

Who was the best team in the Big Ten this year? I think it was Penn State.
Who was the best team in the Pac 12 this year? I think it was USC.

You probably have a different opinion which is why your "take the best team from each conference" idea is the illogical idea. That is a subjective opinion which is exactly what is wrong with college football, Ohio State had no business in the playoff this year, none, zilch, nada.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group