Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2016 AFC Divisional Play-off GDT Steelers @ Chiefs
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Biggest Keys to Steelers Victory
Win Turnover Battle
33%
 33%  [ 6 ]
Ben throw for 300 yards
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Bell rush for 100 yards and have 50 yards receiving
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Defense come up big against Smith, Kelce, Ware and Hill
50%
 50%  [ 9 ]
Get the ball last and score
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 18

Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: 2016 AFC Divisional Play-off GDT Steelers @ Chiefs Reply with quote

Who & What: AFC Divisional Play-off Game

When: Sunday, January 15, 2016 @ 1:05 pm

Where: Arrowhead Stadium Kansas City, MO

History:

Meetings: 32

Steelers: 21 - 11 0-1 play-offs and Chiefs 11-21, 1 - 0 play-offs

Playoff History 1994 KC over Steelers 27-24

Last Meeting: 10/2/16 in Pittsburgh with a dominating 43-14 Steelers win

Big Ben threw for 300 yards and 5 TDs, LeVeon Bell added 144 yards rushing and 34 receiving, Brown caught 5 passes and scored 2 TDs.

The defense sacked Alex Smith 4 times, had 1 INT, and forced 2 fumbles and recovered 1 fumble. Steelers held a 36-0 lead going into forth quarter.

Analysis: Shoe is on the other foot this week. KC is looking to avenge bad loss to Steelers. Steelers will have to be prepared for an accurate Alex Smith, a dangerous Travis Kelce at TE, the versatile Tyrek Hill, a physical OL and the tough running of Stephan Ware. On defense KC is dangerous with a solid secondary, tough LB's and a very physical DL with Poe, Ford, Peters and Berry being stars on defense.

Steelers keys to Victory:

1. Win the turnover battle. Ben has been forcing some balls the last month and half and threw two picks against Miami. This could prove disastrous against KC at home.

2. Stop the run and avoid the big plays to Kelce and Hill. KC is a similar offense to Miami in that they can run and pass effectively. Keep them in third and long and don't let them convert.

3. Be patient on offense and pressure on defense. They are not going to let the Steelers burn them with big plays. Be patient and take what they give. This is a game that we want to dominate TOP and use short passes to Rogers, James, Bell, Ayers and Brown. Let Bell be Bell!

Babes:

the bell ringer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggest key ? Have more points then them when the game is over. Smile
3rivers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bell ringer wrote:

and to do so?

I would say be patient with the run, and eventually Bell should get going. I see Harrison having another great game, Fisher doesn't do well in this matchup.

Houston vs Gilbert should prove interesting as Gilbert neutralized Houston last time they played. Houston can change a game .

Hill, this scares me the most. We don't need ST mistakes so coaches and kickers take note please, CAPS are a must since for some reason there have been ST failures in recent weeks. Also, remember the ST fail last time these 2 played in the playoffs?

1. PUNT THE BALL OUT OF BOUNDS
2. KICK OFFS GO THRU THE ENDZONE, NOT IN PLAY OR OUT OF BOUNDS
3. IF HILL RUNS , HARRISON AND DUPREE MUST SET THE EDGE. DUPREE HAS TO , WE ALL KNOW HARRISON WILL Cool
the bell ringer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="3rivers"]
the bell ringer wrote:

and to do so?

I would say be patient with the run, and eventually Bell should get going. I see Harrison having another great game, Fisher doesn't do well in this matchup.

Houston vs Gilbert should prove interesting as Gilbert neutralized Houston last time they played. Houston can change a game .

Hill, this scares me the most. We don't need ST mistakes so coaches and kickers take note please, CAPS are a must since for some reason there have been ST failures in recent weeks. Also, remember the ST fail last time these 2 played in the playoffs?

1. PUNT THE BALL OUT OF BOUNDS
2. KICK OFFS GO THRU THE ENDZONE, NOT IN PLAY OR OUT OF BOUNDS
3. IF HILL RUNS , HARRISON AND DUPREE MUST SET THE EDGE. DUPREE HAS TO , WE ALL KNOW HARRISON WILL Cool
[/quote

If we get the ball first, one of the most important things we must do if we do not score...we have to move the ball to the 35 to 40 yard line at the least. That way we can Punt it either very deep, or as you stated...angle it out of bounds at the 20 of KC. Keep them on the longest field possible.

Other then that, this game will be a pure battle of O-Lines vs D-lines...theirs and ours both. On offense KC which does not have a big strike or long ball offense uses the very short yardage area with Smith's favorite TE, or and quick release slant plays. So God PLEASE Tomlin...play them up on the LOS...and bump their WR as they release. Sure, QB pressure is nice. But usually Smith and KC are not back there in the pocket long enough for pass rushers to get too.

I expect KC to have a constant spy on Bell, both on runs and passes. They have to try and take him out of the game early on, and force Ben to have to find his WR before the KC Pass rushers can get to him. But the KC players this year have not been getting a lot of Sacks, or pressures on the QB. Hali, Dee Ford and even Houston in the games he has played have been a non factor for the most part. Especially lately.

People wanna say that Justin Houston being back is huge for them...but actually it could be a disaster cause besides a speed rush...Houston brings nothing. He gets totally engulfed by the Tackle on runs, and his tackling is bad. If Bell goes his way it could be good news for us.

And even though KC is NOT a good defensively statistical team, and a poor run D team. They ARE a very good opportunistic team when it comes to takeaways So Ben has to ( Just like the first game )...to not try to squeeze in tight area passes, cause KC can pick them off. On those occasions.....either throw it away, or take a sack...and move on to the next play.

Weather if it is correct...Rain, sleet and such could be huge as it goes to the type of cutback runners that KC uses, Bell won't be as effected with his style. But all in all like all games...don't turn the ball over and create easy scores for either team. Run the ball efficiently to set-up the play action pass. And make sure you limit the amount of opportunities for the KC ST play ( T.Hill returns )...to hurt us.
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrific GDT Hitman.

Special teams worry me too. They have one of the best units in the league and the Steelers, uh, don't. Hill is absolutely electrifying.

Hopefully Green will be able to play.

Thanks to UniversalAuthor for the Sidney Crosby sig
3rivers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

history can't repeat itself. 3b's need to score TD's and enough just in case ST history repeats.
Chieferific

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smith has the fastest release time (avg. something like 1.8 seconds after the snap). The pressure won't be there often. So, it's imperative to negate the Run and press those Wrs. Obviously Kelce is the main target. I'm not sure what the game plan is here but perhaps Davis draws that responsibility throughout. Could be tough sledding for the Rookie. He certainly has the athletic ability to keep up with him but Kelce is a wily Veteran. It'll prolly be Zone coverage anyways. Crying or Very sad

warfelg wrote:
Quote:
why does KC have Houston (who is returning from a knee) cover AB on a crucial play? THAT makes no sense

They Butlered themselves. Laughing
Lambert44

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Special Teams scare me, agreed, punt the ball out of bounds!

Win the turnover battle

Defend one of KC's favorite plays, especially in the red zone,
fake stretch run right or left and bootleg out with option to throw or run.
ComebackKid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, win the turnover battle. Limit Kelce and Hill from gashing us with big plays and do not kick the ball to Hill at all in special teams.

One thing that concerns me is Coates. He was very effective for us against them last time but I don't know if he'll even see the field this game. Hopefully Green is back to provide that vertical threat for the offense. Regardless, offense has to be clicking to apply pressure on Smith and their offense to score points.

2016 AFC NORTH CHAMPIONS
JLambert58

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
Smith has the fastest release time (avg. something like 1.8 seconds after the snap). The pressure won't be there often. So, it's imperative to negate the Run and press those Wrs. Obviously Kelce is the main target. I'm not sure what the game plan is here but perhaps Davis draws that responsibility throughout. Could be tough sledding for the Rookie. He certainly has the athletic ability to keep up with him but Kelce is a wily Veteran. It'll prolly be Zone coverage anyways. Crying or Very sad

That's scary fast. DBs and LBs will have to keep a tight lid on coverage for as longs as possible to keep Smith out of that quick rhythm.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap. Touissant is in concussion protocol. Now who will return the kickoff to the 12 yard line?

warfelg

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
Crap. Touissant is in concussion protocol. Now who will return the kickoff to the 12 yard line?

Kinda explains the end of the last game.
JLambert58

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:

lol good one.

Justin Gilbert's college stats as a kick returner:

102 returns for 2681 yards, averaging 26.3 yards per return & 6 TDs

Can anyone tell me why he's not had a chance to do it for the Steelers?

Last edited by JLambert58 on Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
the bell ringer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I read a poll last year or the year before that said in a poll of NFL players..which is the worst field to play on when it is wet..and Arrowhead won it by a lot. They have the natural Kentucky Blue grass that looks great...but when wet, and with no drainage system there...the field becomes sh!t. And it calls for freezing rain/rain Sunday..around 95 % sure. And it is a All day rain, not just occasional rain.

That will effect Ty Hill and any ability he would have had on special teams. Gonna effect a lot of players on both sides.
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLambert58 wrote:
1BackInBlackFan wrote:

lol good one.

Justin Gilbert's college stats as a kick returner:

102 returns for 2681 yards, averaging 26.3 yards per return & 6 TDs

Can anyone tell me why he's not had a chance to do it for the Steelers?

Exactly. I never understood this either. Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 1 of 29

Jump to: