Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jacksonville to hire Doug Marrone as Head Coach :0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Buzz wrote:
I agree, but gotta remember Wash dates back to the Monte Kiffin days prior to that whole LEO/OTTO BS.
This isn't making me feel better. Kiffen's defensive schemes haven't yielded a good defense in almost a decade.

Live life like you're down 3-1
.Buzz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
.Buzz wrote:
I agree, but gotta remember Wash dates back to the Monte Kiffin days prior to that whole LEO/OTTO BS.
This isn't making me feel better. Kiffen's defensive schemes haven't yielded a good defense in almost a decade.

Fair enough, just saying Wash has experience in more than just the Seattle defense, so I wouldn't assume he runs anything like what Gus did.

El Ramster on the sig
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Buzz wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
TheRealMcCoy wrote:
Quote:
Albert Breer @AlbertBreer
Jacksonville defensive coaches were told previously that they'd be retained if Doug Marrone were to get the job.

I thought the defense played fairly well this season. Offense is what needs fixing the most...

That's not inspiring. I'd feel better about this if I were a Jags fan if Marrone brought in a new staff.

The HC isn't the only guy to blame when a team goes 14-48 or something like that during his tenure.

Well, we have to wait and see but from the sounds of it there's a good chance the DC runs his own defense and not Gus's. We also fired the OC from that poor regime in Olsen, as Hackett just used his playbook after he got fired.

So we have a new HC, OC (technically), and could see changes on defense pending on how things go (maybe not the actual guy running the defense, but it's obvious Gus made the DC here run what he wanted by who he hired).

I also would prefer a brand new staff, but just saying...

Marrone did a nice job of hiring defensive staffs during his time in Buffalo. That would be the let down to me. I feel like this is the time to make some changes. You don't have to get rid of everything but at least shake it up some.

iPwn wrote:
.Buzz wrote:

Rod Marinelli is a Kiffin disciple.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonder who they hire jan 2019.

will be interesting to see
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
He's not running the Tampa 2 though, as far as I can remember.

Wash has no history of defensive play calling or building a play book. All he came up learning was the Tampa 2 and the terrible version of the 4-3 Under. Could be work outside that box and be good? Sure. But this staff is sure full of a lot of guys we have to say "maybe they'll be different" and "it wasn't all their fault" while just being retreads from the staff that just put the worst product in NFL history on the field for 4 years.

There's gotta be more changes than shuffling the chairs on a sinking ship and hoping they all balance things.

PapaShogun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KKKKKKKKKKHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

- Five Time Super Bowl Champion San Francisco 49ers -
1981*1984*1988*1989*1994*
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
jrry32 wrote:
He's not running the Tampa 2 though, as far as I can remember.

Wash has no history of defensive play calling or building a play book. All he came up learning was the Tampa 2 and the terrible version of the 4-3 Under. Could be work outside that box and be good? Sure. But this staff is sure full of a lot of guys we have to say "maybe they'll be different" and "it wasn't all their fault" while just being retreads from the staff that just put the worst product in NFL history on the field for 4 years.

There's gotta be more changes than shuffling the chairs on a sinking ship and hoping they all balance things.

He runs his own take on it (after all, Marinelli came up under Kiffin and Lovie Smith). It's quite a bit different. Then again, Lovie was running his Tampa-2 scheme very differently during his later years in Chicago.

But I agree. Keeping the staff in place seems like a poor decision right now. Gus Bradley, by himself, did not make the team that bad.(even though he was a terrible HC)

P.S. The 2008 to 2011 Rams have you beat for the worst product in NFL history on the field over 4 years. Somebody else may have them beat. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to be in the minority, but I like Marrone as a coaching hire. Moreso than Mike Smith. I mean, he didn't have a ton of talent those years in Buffalo, and he did pretty well. He misread the market after that last season and it backfired harshly on him. The optics on that are poor.

He's not a sexy choice, but I don't think he's a bad choice who will get less out of the talent they have. I don't know that he'll get a ton more out of them, but I think he'll do a competent job here. I mean, even if he runs off a couple of 8-8' or a 9-7 that's a significant improvement over where they have been.

A small stone may only make a small ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave.
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
I seem to be in the minority, but I like Marrone as a coaching hire. Moreso than Mike Smith. I mean, he didn't have a ton of talent those years in Buffalo, and he did pretty well. He misread the market after that last season and it backfired harshly on him. The optics on that are poor.

He's not a sexy choice, but I don't think he's a bad choice who will get less out of the talent they have. I don't know that he'll get a ton more out of them, but I think he'll do a competent job here. I mean, even if he runs off a couple of 8-8' or a 9-7 that's a significant improvement over where they have been.

Yea, I see him as a safe choice. At least you know he isn't completely incapable of being a NFL HC.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
P.S. The 2008 to 2011 Rams have you beat for the worst product in NFL history on the field over 4 years. Somebody else may have them beat. Wink
Should have specified it being a single regime's entire time together.

Bert Bell is the only coach to have a team for 4 years and do worse than Gus and his staff. But somehow everyone in a high role but Gus and Olson are gonna keep their job or get promoted. Pure stupidity.

BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Buzz wrote:
Sounds like most high ups in the NFL think very, very highly of Marrone based on all these reports from insiders saying their sources love the hire.

Pretty much every coaching hire everywhere comes packaged with those glowing quotes from random people around the league. Hard to read much into those; hell, even Greg Schiano had Bill Belichek going to bat for him.

Marrone will do better than Bradley because how the hell couldn't he, but it sort of feels like the Jaguars are swinging wildly from one overcorrection to another.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
.Buzz wrote:
Sounds like most high ups in the NFL think very, very highly of Marrone based on all these reports from insiders saying their sources love the hire.

Pretty much every coaching hire everywhere comes packaged with those glowing quotes from random people around the league. Hard to read much into those; hell, even Greg Schiano had Bill Belichek going to bat for him.

Marrone will do better than Bradley because how the hell couldn't he, but it sort of feels like the Jaguars are swinging wildly from one overcorrection to another.

That is very true, but Marrone has been around a while and does seem to do well when given a lot of control where he's went (NO, Cuse, BUF). Schiano was quite the unknown. But point taken.

I think Marrone fits the bill of what the Jaguars need/want at HC. Offensive mind - check. Hard nosed/discipline is big for him - check. Prior HC exp. - check. Will most definitely change the culture/be a complete 180 at the HC position from the last guy who was here - check.

Not exciting, not flashy, but I think it's a solid hire with a guy that could be a pretty damn solid HC. A lot of his qualities as far as his personality goes (not exactly a people person, seems to overdo it at times) reminds me of Coughlin. Doesn't surprise me he was on board with him as the guy.

El Ramster on the sig
Speedyg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that the narrative has somehow changed to everything is Gus fault. The offense struggles and it's Gus fault for not being more involved there (he wasn't). People hate the scheme and they blame Gus even though he allowed Wash to run whatever he wanted.

nearly direct quote from Gus "I wanted Wash to run his defense, not mine".

Gus was not a micro manager. He let his staff do their jobs. If Wash wanted to play Myles more, he could have. If he wanted to bench Fowler and play his guy Yannick, he had the power to do so. Wash chose to run this defense.

Olson, Hack, and Doug are all involved in that offense. A unit that was most responsible for this seasons failure.

A leader is only as good as his staff. If your staff doesn't speak up to change what is wrong then they are equally responsible for the failures. it would be one thing if Gus ran a dictatorship.

But of all his faults, that isn't one of them. in fact id say he's quite the opposite.
Tugboat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
cddolphin wrote:
iPwn wrote:
Loser franchise ran by a bunch of idiots who don't know the first thing about football

harsh brah

mellow out your vibe
100% true. They can't think more than one step ahead without falling over themselves.

This just cements them as having no idea what they're doing. They had the worst team in NFL history over a 4 year period and waited until 2 weeks before the season ended to try out the guy they would eventually hire to lead the team. There's no forethought in the process, no nothing.

If you think Marrone is worthy of being the head coach, maybe fire the man with the worst head coach record in NFL history and actually take the time to see what he can do. But nah, we'll ride out 14 games of the same [inappropriate/removed] that led the being the laughing stock of the NFL for r years and then turn to Marrone for two meaningless games so we can go in almost completely blind to what he offers. Great planning, as always from this idiot franchise.

Absolutely this.

It's not even necessarily about Marrone being a good/bad choice in a vacuum. It's about the fact that they had this guy waiting in the wings the ENTIRE SEASON. At any time, they could have fired Gus out of a cannon into the sun and take a bona fide look at what Doug Marrone was going to be as the Head Coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars Football Team. Instead, they wait until the very end waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay past Gus Bradley's expiry date and well beyond the point where he was a clear dead man walking. They take a look at Marrone in two completely fluff end of season games and decide that he's going to be the guy?

They're essentially going in to this new hire completely blind...when there was absolutely zero reason to do so. And that's without even digging into the fact that Marrone was around all year for what was indisputably a complete and utter circus of a season. Just embarrassing all around, and he was part of that (including the O-Line he was in charge of, which was complete and total trash)...with the very team that just promoted him.

It's just so bad. And so Jaguars.
TMNinjaBortles

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, so Tom Coughlin is rumored to basically be the GM power wise, and he vouched for Doug.
Guess we'll see where this goes. As long as we're always the 31st best team I suppose. Rolling Eyes

Jacksonville Jaguars 2017 Record Prediction: 5-11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: