Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Defensive Coordinator Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
HTTRG3Dynasty


Joined: 03 Apr 2012
Posts: 9349
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this from Keim's recent article:

Quote:
This is one of the ways he likes to build a defense, related from an informative story in Sports Illustrated about him:

"One of the rules we had was you never wanted to be limited by your least intelligent player," Pettine says. "You have to do it that way because if you have a guy that can be elite but he can't be cluttered, like when we got Kris Jenkins in New York for a limited amount of time -- when we had him, we didn't want him thinking. We would build it like, 'Hey, line up here and go, and we'll make it right around you.' We'll give the thinking to the guys around you. We've put some of the heavy-lifting thinking on a fewer number of players."

One thing that also jumped out from that story: The idea that he doesn't just teach the plays of the defense, but the actual concepts of the scheme. It allows players to change roles from game to game, but if they understand the rules of the defense it shouldn't lead to confusion. Of course, it works better with increased talent. But what the Redskins need to do is find someone who can coax more from the talent available.


http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/29673/redskins-interview-mike-pettine-for-defensive-coordinators-job
_________________
~In McCloughan I trust.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 79085
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@granthpaulsen
Quote:
‪‪Jason La Canfora on #Redskins' DC search: "Gus is their guy. They're going to make that effort." Says Bradley is still their top priority.

_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
naptownskinsfan


Joined: 04 Sep 2016
Posts: 158
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pettine is my top choice- learning from great minds with the Ravens, studying under Rex Ryan who is a 3-4 guru, I don't think you could ask us for a better DC, especially if you don't want the boisterious Ryan himself. I am also in favor of interviewing Steve Wilks because of his familiarity with Josh Norman and his experience as a secondary coach, but Pettine tops my list. Not a Bradley fan, and he's way down the list of folks I would consider. However, I think it's going to be a bidding war for Bradley.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FosterTheSkins


Joined: 19 Oct 2012
Posts: 693
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://m.redskins.com/news/article-1/Redskins-Interview-Mike-Pettine-For-Defensive-Coordinator-/dfa77452-dfa8-4d12-9135-05ba2b37b26c
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 79085
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
I like this from Keim's recent article:

Quote:
This is one of the ways he likes to build a defense, related from an informative story in Sports Illustrated about him:

"One of the rules we had was you never wanted to be limited by your least intelligent player," Pettine says. "You have to do it that way because if you have a guy that can be elite but he can't be cluttered, like when we got Kris Jenkins in New York for a limited amount of time -- when we had him, we didn't want him thinking. We would build it like, 'Hey, line up here and go, and we'll make it right around you.' We'll give the thinking to the guys around you. We've put some of the heavy-lifting thinking on a fewer number of players."

One thing that also jumped out from that story: The idea that he doesn't just teach the plays of the defense, but the actual concepts of the scheme. It allows players to change roles from game to game, but if they understand the rules of the defense it shouldn't lead to confusion. Of course, it works better with increased talent. But what the Redskins need to do is find someone who can coax more from the talent available.


http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/29673/redskins-interview-mike-pettine-for-defensive-coordinators-job
Good stuff. Besides the lack of talent and the inability to control the inmates, I think Barry's greatest issue was he was trying too many things - same with Haz - and our players blew assignments and were thinking too much, not just playing out there. We needed to simplify our defense, just run press man or just run cover 3 but Barry never just ran one coverage, he mixed it up and our players were thinking too much, weren't attacking, were a step too late in coverage and made mistakes because of it.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MikeT14


Joined: 02 Jan 2006
Posts: 9677
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone mention Pettine before yesterday?
_________________

- mike23md

D.C. Sports: Hope is fine, but believing is where we screw up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ripsean21


Joined: 20 Mar 2009
Posts: 3511
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeT14 wrote:
Did anyone mention Pettine before yesterday?


I personally thought he had a job and never even thought he was a option
_________________

Thanks Mike23md for the sig!!!
Adopt a Redskin D Jax!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 79085
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cooley said that in 2009 Pettine's defense was #1 in yards allowed and 3rd down defense. Pettine's defense was the main reason the Mark Sanchez led Jets went to the AFCCG along with their running game.

He also said that even though he was in Cleveland as well, Pettine's defenses have never been worse than 15th overall in all major defensive categories.

You know, if we don't get or don't want to hire Wade Phillips, mike Pettine might be my 1 seed over Gus Bradley.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 79085
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeT14 wrote:
Did anyone mention Pettine before yesterday?
No, which is a good thing in my eyes because they obviously had their eye on him but there were no leaks out of the building that they were!!

Maybe these beat reporters "unnamed sources" are just filtering them crap and the beat reporters honestly don't really have much solid info.

If that's the case, I'll be elated. I want this organization to be more NE, Pitt, Den and GB and less Redskins of the last 18 years!
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MikeT14


Joined: 02 Jan 2006
Posts: 9677
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unnamed sources is the worst thing about twitter.
_________________

- mike23md

D.C. Sports: Hope is fine, but believing is where we screw up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 79085
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeT14 wrote:
Unnamed sources is the worst thing about twitter.
Not only Twitter, it's the worst thing about reporting period. Espn, Fox, NBC, CSN and every reporter in the world no matter their niche have made a living off of "unnamed sources" or "a source speaking to me on the basis of anonymity" as their "so called source" has been the downfall of reporting for over 30 years.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
naptownskinsfan


Joined: 04 Sep 2016
Posts: 158
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get the Gus Bradley love at all. The Jaguars defense wasn't anything special with him down there, they did essentially what we did. Not only that, but the segment of Redskins fans who don't want any "crony" hire couldn't get closer to that hire than Bradley- not only did he work with both Allen and Gruden in TB, but also with McCloughan in Seattle.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FosterTheSkins


Joined: 19 Oct 2012
Posts: 693
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naptownskinsfan wrote:
I don't get the Gus Bradley love at all. The Jaguars defense wasn't anything special with him down there, they did essentially what we did. Not only that, but the segment of Redskins fans who don't want any "crony" hire couldn't get closer to that hire than Bradley- not only did he work with both Allen and Gruden in TB, but also with McCloughan in Seattle.


The Jaguars defense finished at sixth overall this year. That is considerably better than The Redskins who petered out at twenty-eight, in the bottom four.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2016&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HTTRG3Dynasty


Joined: 03 Apr 2012
Posts: 9349
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FosterTheSkins wrote:
naptownskinsfan wrote:
I don't get the Gus Bradley love at all. The Jaguars defense wasn't anything special with him down there, they did essentially what we did. Not only that, but the segment of Redskins fans who don't want any "crony" hire couldn't get closer to that hire than Bradley- not only did he work with both Allen and Gruden in TB, but also with McCloughan in Seattle.


The Jaguars defense finished at sixth overall this year. That is considerably better than The Redskins who petered out at twenty-eight, in the bottom four.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2016&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1


That's just yards per game against though, which doesn't tell you all that much. The Jags ranked 13th in weighted DVOA and 25th in points per game against.

I do think it's unfair to judge what he will do as a coordinator based on what he did as a head coach though. Otherwise, Wade Phillips would be considered a bad hire too. Same with Pettine.
_________________
~In McCloughan I trust.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 79085
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
FosterTheSkins wrote:
naptownskinsfan wrote:
I don't get the Gus Bradley love at all. The Jaguars defense wasn't anything special with him down there, they did essentially what we did. Not only that, but the segment of Redskins fans who don't want any "crony" hire couldn't get closer to that hire than Bradley- not only did he work with both Allen and Gruden in TB, but also with McCloughan in Seattle.


The Jaguars defense finished at sixth overall this year. That is considerably better than The Redskins who petered out at twenty-eight, in the bottom four.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2016&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1


That's just yards per game against though, which doesn't tell you all that much. The Jags ranked 13th in weighted DVOA and 25th in points per game against.

I do think it's unfair to judge what he will do as a coordinator based on what he did as a head coach though. Otherwise, Wade Phillips would be considered a bad hire too. Same with Pettine.
Points per game don't necessarily tell you how good a defense is or isn't. Special teams can give up big plays or even Tds. Offenses can be inept, have turnovers that give opposing teams fumble recoveries for Tds or in Jax case int returns for Tds. "Bortles service" threw some horrible ints this year and that led to the Jax defense being put in some horrible spots.

Our defense had to deal with this to, Cousins threw a pick 6 or was it 2, and had a few other bad ints on our half of the field that put our d in bad spots and we had a few bad fumbles.
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 2 of 16

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group