Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Defensive Coordinator Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike23md

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Defensive Coordinator Thread Reply with quote

Joe Barry was fired. That has been the best news out of Ashburn in a while.

The search is on.

The list of coordinators mentioned so far is not long but distinguished:

Steve Wilks, CB Coach, Carolina
Mike Nolan, NFL Radio Analyst
Gus Bradley, Unemployed
Greg Manusky, LB Coach, Washington
Rex Ryan, Unemployed
Gregg Williams, Rams Defensive Coordinator - Hired by Browns
Paul Guenther, Bengals Defensive Coordinator (Not allowed to talk to him)

Personally, I want a guy that has been in the league and is up and coming or at least understands how the league works presently. That would eliminate Mike Nolan.

Williams was hired by the Browns.

Bradley is the word on favorite in the clubhouse.

Don't want Rex Ryan, EVER.

We were not granted permission to talk to Paul Geunther. Frankly his defense has not been that great the last few seasons, but it is the 4-3.

Steve Wilks, I like Carolina and their defense, and I would hope that because he is secondary, that he could bring the swagger back to the secondary on the lines of Seattle.

Wade Phillips is not on this list, but I know there are a lot of rumblings about him. He did so well with Denver's defense, but frankly, I would like to see an up and comer that wants to make a name for himself.

(I am silently rooting for Bradley, beacuse he does run the 4-3 and we are currently more set for the 4-3 than the 3-4.)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like bradley because he has ties to scott and jay. also if jay bombs for some reason the gus is promoteable to HC, i would prefer for that not to happen. i think its insane the skins are chasing Wade Phillips.
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this in the other thread you started, but Doc Walker just said that Mike Pettine was at Redskins park to interview. I'd like that signing. I think he's a good motivator and a no nonsense coach.

‪Redskins announce 1st interview for defensive coordinator position is Mike Pettine

http://fw.to/IEKRwBM‬

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG

Last edited by turtle28 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marcus21

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
I posted this in the other thread you started, but Doc Walker just said that Mike Pettine was at Redskins park to interview. I'd like that signing. I think he's a good motivator and a no nonsense coach.

The biggest mistake of Mike Pettine's life was taking the Brown's head coaching job! i think he would be the top of my list!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:

I want to stay away from Gus Bradley. Don't think much of him as anymore than another guy who excelled under Pete Carroll with elite talent (similar to Dan Quinn).

Mike Pettine is intriguing as he not only has a good track record of coaching D, but he specially has 3-4D exp.
Dashing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Pettine my first choice he's way younger than wade Phillips and has been an proven D.C. Not just for his time at the jets but also been part of the races D at one point when it was really good .

Easily could see him being the guy he turned the bills D top ten in 2013 as well.
mike23md

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:

Yeah, there was a lot of discussion about the DC so I moved it to another thread.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

The biggest mistake of Mike Pettine's life was taking the Brown's head coaching job! i think he would be the top of my list!

I actually like Mike Pettine, BUT he does run the 3-4, and would probably advocate for a NT, a true NT.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

This is a very good candidate!!! Would definitely not mind this signing as he has alittle more fire then the other guys!!! Wouldn't mind him or Bradley. I'm just not a wade fan because the age! Romeo would be great but I don't see a reason or logical reason for him to leave Huston for us

Thanks Mike23md for the sig!!!
Adopt a Redskin D Jax!!
Dashing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

I actually like Mike Pettine, BUT he does run the 3-4, and would probably advocate for a NT, a true NT.
apperntly he runs hybrid for the 3-4 too was the D.C. For jets in 2009-2012 which was a pretty good D
Doc Draper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripsean21 wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

This is a very good candidate!!! Would definitely not mind this signing as he has alittle more fire then the other guys!!! Wouldn't mind him or Bradley. I'm just not a wade fan because the age! Romeo would be great but I don't see a reason or logical reason for him to leave Huston for us

Good candidate pool, so much better than the Barry bottom of the barrel approach

Lets see how it plays out. And age is just a number Bro's. Us older guys are "ain't as good I once was, but as good once, as I ever was!"Toby Keith Smile
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definitely be on board with Pettine. He's a very good coach that got dealt a bad hand in Cleveland.
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus21 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

It's not his fault he was overruled and they drafted Manziel, I'm sure he was never on board with drafting Manziel. If they don't draft Manziel, he's probably still their coach today.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashing wrote:
mike23md wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

apperntly he runs hybrid for the 3-4 too was the D.C. For jets in 2009-2012 which was a pretty good D
Yeah, he is a Rex Ryan protege. He goes all the way back to the Balt days and Red implemented the 3-4 under/hybrid scheme when Rex was their def coord. It's the same scheme that is our base scheme right now.

I don't know if that's good or bad because our guys cousins run the scheme. Of course that was mostly because they got confused on coverages, I have to believe Pettine is a better teacher than Barry and he would simply coverages, not complicate, them if our young guys didn't understand them.

ripsean21

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Draper wrote:
ripsean21 wrote:
Marcus21 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Good candidate pool, so much better than the Barry bottom of the barrel approach

Lets see how it plays out. And age is just a number Bro's. Us older guys are "ain't as good I once was, but as good once, as I ever was!"Toby Keith Smile

lol I'm not against his age other then I'd like to get and keep a continuity on this staff and not continue to have turnover for things other then winning! I'd like to keep McVay one or 2 more seasons so Kirk can hopefully grow into something special but we will see

Thanks Mike23md for the sig!!!
Adopt a Redskin D Jax!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18

Jump to: