Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Mock offseason

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericsvibe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: 2017 Mock offseason Reply with quote

So here we can post what we would do this offseason. We can then go back and compare to see who got the closest. You don't have to post exact salary cap figures, we all know that teams will make the money work when they have to.

First, I would only resign the following free agents.

Stills and Sims. That's it. Let the rest walk.

On offense, I would focus on improving the line, and bringing in competition for Tannehill. I have no problems saying that if Tannehill elects to forego surgery and play with a partially torn ACL and a brace next season, it is going to end in a disaster. He can't play without being able to scramble. If he is smart about his long term future, he should have surgery now, so that he can be the injured reserve designated to return player next season. That gives him a shot to reclaim his job mid year if the team struggles. As soon as he is released, I would sign Tyrod Taylor. The front office can make it work. Let Tyrod and Moore compete for the starting job, if Tannehill doesn't have the surgery, it will be a 3 horse race. I think that Tyrod will win the job. With Bushrod gone, Urbick gets penciled in at RG until the draft.

On defense, I would allow Misi to compete for his old job, and replace Jenkins with Hewitt until the draft. Fede moves as the starting DE with Branch leaving. I let Earl Mitchell go as well. The secondary stays the same, Maxwell and Howard starting, Lippett as the #3, McCain in the slot. Quddus and Jones at safety.

I don't sign any big name free agents, just some young players for depth, and build through the draft.

My mock draft.

Round 1, Foster would be a dream pick, but I don't think he falls this far. With him gone, my target would be LB Zach Cunningham. At 6-4 and 230 lbs, he is fast, has great instincts, and is a force in the running game. He could start day 1 at MLB, and allow Kiko to move to WLB, with Misi back at SLB. Hewitt and Hull could continue to be reserves and special teamers.

Round 2, Here I am targeting pass rush players. Talent is needed at DE, and versatile defenders are a premium in today's NFL. There are 3 players that I would target here, all are great pass rushers, and all play lights out. These are versatile weapons that can be lined up in multiple positions to wreak havoc on opposing QB's.

Jordan Willis, DE/OLB. At 6-5 and 250 lbs, he was a force this season. He showed his pass rush ability with 11.5 sacks, his run defense with 17.5 tackles for a loss, and his coverage ability with 3 pass deflections, he also had 3 forced fumbles. He did it all in college.

T.J. Watt, another DE/OLB tweener. At 6-5 and 243 lbs, he is very similar to Willis. Watt's older brother JJ is already an NFL standout. Watt is a very good pass rusher with 11.5 sacks, great in run support with 15.5 tackles for a loss, good in coverage with four pass deflections, and caused 2 forced fumbles.

Carroll Phillips, another DE-OLB tweener at 6-3 240 lbs. He isn't a good at run defending at the other two, but he is more talented in pass rushing. He had 9 sacks, 20 tackles for a loss, and one force fumble. He isn't as stout at the point, but his speed and quickness allow him to get to the ball carrier quickly. He has the best first step of the three, but is seen as a one trick poney by some scouts.

The rest of the draft, I would target depth at G/C, and LB/DE.

Players I like.

Pat Elfein, G/C. Perfect size for the ZBS at 6-3 300 lbs.

Jon Toth, G/C. A bit tall at 6-5 310 lbs, but he moves well and can get to the second level.

Kyle Fuller, G/C. Also a bit tall at 6-5 and 315 lbs. He looked better as a junior, but still had a good senior year.

Daeshon Hall, DE. At 6-6 and 260 lbs, Hall has been a very good pass rusher during his career. His problem has been consistency, and he sometimes disappears for entire games. If he can play up to his potential, he can be a disruptive pass rusher, and can hold his own against the run.

Keionta Davis, DE. At 6-4 270 lbs, Davis has been an excellent pass rusher in college. Many scouts believe that if he can get down to 260 lbs, he could be more explosive. He has been very consistent.

Ejuan Price, DE. At 6-1 255 lbs, scouts think that Price might not be able to play DE in the NFL. He is a speed demon off the edge, and can hold his own in the run game. This has hurt his draft stock, but he could wind up being a steal in the middle rounds.

Steven Taylor, LB. At 6-1 225 lbs, Taylor is a monster in the middle of the field. He has the speed to cover, and isn't afraid of laying the wood. If Taylor weighed 245 lbs, he would be drafted in the second round. He finished with 72 tackles, 11 for a loss, 8.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles. He is also a very good blitzer.

Haason Reddick, LB. At 6-1 230 lbs, he is another speedy LB that flies all over the field. He had 59 tackles with 21.5 tackles for a loss, 9.5 sacks, three forced fumbles to finish his career. Has the speed to cover RB's and TE's, isn't afraid to lay the wood in run support.
green4gulf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what you have done here. I can get onboard with those personnel decisions, no problem.

I'll take a slightly different approach and post mine soon.
green4gulf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I've come up with.

Free Agency: re-sign TE Dion Sims, sign OG TJ Lang, sign DE Charles Johnson

Extensions: LB Kiko Alonso, WR Jarvis Landry

Priority cuts: DE Dion Jordan, DE Mario Williams

Draft

1: OLB Jarred Davis, UF, athletic enough to get into deep zone coverage, strong at play diagnosis and recognition as well as thumping the ball carrier

2: DE Solomon Thomas, Stanford, projects better as a 3-4 DE IMO but appears capable of playing in a 4-3. Very good at penetrating and disrupting......stout at the point of attack. Drops due to a very strong DE class.

3: Currently no third round pick

4: TE Jake Butt, Michigan, big and extremely productive but falls in the draft due to bowl game ACL injury

5: OLB Jalen Reeves Maybin, TN, a little on the light side at around 230lbs, but has been very productive in college playing in the heavy hitting SEC. Flashes with speed and athleticism.

6: OG Nico Siragusa San Diego State, has the size to play RT, but needs work on technique......capable backup at OG and OT with some refinement.

7: Safety Justin Harvey Clemons Louisville, has appeared to overcome his character concerns earlier in his college career but drops to late rounds because of them regardless. At 6'5" 230 lbs and 4.5-4.6 projected speed he is a rare Safety prospect that can cover the tall lean TEs and stack in the box for the run. Has the size and athleticism to be the Gronk stopper lol.

Let me know what you think. I'm open to criticism.
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could definitely live with that.

Nacho Simulation Football League
Daryl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We dont have a third or fourth currently. I thin we will get them both back via compensatory picks.
green4gulf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daryl wrote:
We dont have a third or fourth currently. I thin we will get them both back via compensatory picks.

I didn't realize we were without a 4th. I knew about our lack of a 3rd but ouch.

I hope we get the compensatory picks. I'm trying to think of what players left us last year that could help us land some compensatory picks. Rishard Matthews and perhaps the DE that left for Atlanta, but those might offset with the gain of Mario Williams and Andre Branch.
Daryl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah we traded a third and fourth to move up and select Carroo. We Lost

O.V
D.Shelby
L.Miller
B.Grimes
R.Matthews

As far as I can remember.
Kaiowas05

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green4gulf wrote:
Daryl wrote:

I didn't realize we were without a 4th. I knew about our lack of a 3rd but ouch.

I hope we get the compensatory picks. I'm trying to think of what players left us last year that could help us land some compensatory picks. Rishard Matthews and perhaps the DE that left for Atlanta, but those might offset with the gain of Mario Williams and Andre Branch.

those guys (Williams and Branch) were cut, not FAs. They dont work in to the formula for compensation IIRC

edit, not sure on Branch now actually
Belfast Trojans #32 Shamrock Bowl winner '12, '13, '14 and '15
EFAF Atlantic Cup Winner 2013 and 2015
Stars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green4gulf wrote:
Daryl wrote:

Vernon counts for this year, no?
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stars wrote:
green4gulf wrote:
Daryl wrote:

Vernon counts for this year, no?

Yeah we should have a third for sure from Vernon.

Nacho Simulation Football League
green4gulf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaiowas05 wrote:
green4gulf wrote:
Daryl wrote:

those guys (Williams and Branch) were cut, not FAs. They dont work in to the formula for compensation IIRC

edit, not sure on Branch now actually

Good call.

According to overthecap.com we should receive compensatory picks for Vernon (3rd) and Miller (5th).

http://overthecap.com/compensatory-draft-picks-cancellation-chart/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: