Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2016 after season draft grades

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rgossett07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: 2016 after season draft grades Reply with quote

Now that our attention will be on the 2017 Draft (one of my favorite times of every year), I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone's perception of last years picks looks like.

1. Tunsil - A+ - played dominant all season long. Looked better than Albert at times. He is going to be a franchise tackle for the next 10-12 years.

2. Howard C - Health issues. When he played, showed some promise, especially coming up and helping with the run. If he stays healthy, he could end changing his grade next season.

3a. Drake - A - I was critical of this pick last season. Really felt like the Phins should have addressed the D with this pick. What a contributor on Special teams and 3rd down. The young trio of Ajayi-Drake-Williams is going to be dangerous for the next few years.

3b. Caroo - D - Phins gave up ALOT for this guy. Was basically a non factor all season with the 1 TD. When you're 5-11 the season before and you trade 2 4th Rd picks for a guy, he better be a starter. A lot of my grade is based on what the Phins gave up for him. I still think he was drafted with the intent he would take over for Stills after this season. Hopefully this time next years we are talking about how Caroo put up 70/700/8. TBD

6a Grant - D - I'm sure I will be harder on this pick/guy than most. I loved the concept of "why" they made this pick. But 4 fumbles and all you do is return kicks is completely unacceptable. He was a non factor in all other aspect of the offense.

6b. Lucas - C - on a team that saw Maxwell, Jones and Howard miss significant time, this guy only saw the field for 5 games recording 2 tackles. Not what I would expect, but he is a 6th round pick. I just would have imagined with all the injuries the Phins had in the secondary, this guy would have gotten a chance. Guess not.

7a - Doughty - D - waste of a pick. I understand it's just a 7th round pick but you can go out and sign plenty of undrafted FA QB's for camp. Why not take a flyer on a small school LB or CB here and hope you strike gold?

7b - Duarte - C - incomplete. The fact they put him on the 53-man late in the season means they saw enough in him to keep him around. Highly productive in college. He could be that Impact TE everyone on this forum wants.

Overall grade - B-

Tunsil, Howard and Drake are all going to be a big part of the Dolphins future. Which is what you want to be saying after their first year.

They love Caroo which gives the Dolphins some leverage in the Stills negotiations. They have a plan B.

Gase should make Grant carry a football everywhere for the next 7 months. I hope he can cut those fumbles cause he is electric. But if he can't, he will be gone real fast.
ericsvibe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caroo has been in the doghouse all season. The beat reporters have made statements that Caroo is a lazy participant in practice. He drags his butt and doesn't put forth the effort the coaching staff wants to see. Because of this, they limited his game time. Both Armando and Omar have stated that Caroo may get replaced this offseason. Gase is really big on effort, he would rather have a guy that gives 110% even if he has holes in his game, than an elite player with a poor attitude and poor practice habits.

That brings me to Grant. Grant has some problems, he needs to learn to double up on the ball before contact, that will limit his fumbles. He has a great attitude, the guy would run head first into a wall if asked to. Because of his willingness to learn, and great effort he has stayed a KR/PR. I think that Grant will be the replacement to Stills. With an accurate QB, Grant can be deadly on deep routes as there are very few CB's that can keep up with him. He ran a 4.2 on his pro-day, and had a blazing 3 cone. He needs to be away from the LB's.

Lucas is limited as a CB. Omar said that during training camp, every single WR on the field was eating Lucas alive in their breaks. He doesn't have good change of direction abilities. This has also hurt him in special teams. If you are a backup defender, you better be able to play special teams, and he can't. I don't think he makes it through next years training camp.
Rgossett07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericsvibe wrote:
Caroo has been in the doghouse all season. The beat reporters have made statements that Caroo is a lazy participant in practice. He drags his butt and doesn't put forth the effort the coaching staff wants to see. Because of this, they limited his game time. Both Armando and Omar have stated that Caroo may get replaced this offseason. Gase is really big on effort, he would rather have a guy that gives 110% even if he has holes in his game, than an elite player with a poor attitude and poor practice habits.

That brings me to Grant. Grant has some problems, he needs to learn to double up on the ball before contact, that will limit his fumbles. He has a great attitude, the guy would run head first into a wall if asked to. Because of his willingness to learn, and great effort he has stayed a KR/PR. I think that Grant will be the replacement to Stills. With an accurate QB, Grant can be deadly on deep routes as there are very few CB's that can keep up with him. He ran a 4.2 on his pro-day, and had a blazing 3 cone. He needs to be away from the LB's.

Lucas is limited as a CB. Omar said that during training camp, every single WR on the field was eating Lucas alive in their breaks. He doesn't have good change of direction abilities. This has also hurt him in special teams. If you are a backup defender, you better be able to play special teams, and he can't. I don't think he makes it through next years training camp.

Didn't know that about Caroo. That makes giving up all those picks even worse!

Grant needs packages out of the backfield to be effective. He is way to small to be an outside WR. I see him more of a Darren Spriles type player. Try and get him lined up against a LB or SS. If Caroo is that bad they may pay a little extra for Stills.
ericsvibe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rgossett07 wrote:
ericsvibe wrote:

Didn't know that about Caroo. That makes giving up all those picks even worse!

Grant needs packages out of the backfield to be effective. He is way to small to be an outside WR. I see him more of a Darren Spriles type player. Try and get him lined up against a LB or SS. If Caroo is that bad they may pay a little extra for Stills.

I'm not going to knock the drafting of Caroo because they didn't know this about him when they drafted him. They just saw his tape, and he is a physically gifted WR that runs angry. But Gase is very clear about what he expects, and he wants player to earn their playing time. If a player can't get it done in practice, Gase will not let him play. He is very clear about that. The perfect example is him benching Ajayi the first game. Ajayi was moping around the facility, throwing a tantrum about being #2. Gase didn't let it go, and Ajayi learned a lesson from it.

Guys, go back a couple of years ago and look at the tape when Danny Woodhead was on the Patriots. That is how we should use Grant. He killed it in 4 and 5 WR sets against zone coverage. He did have a short career, but guys like Grant and Woodhead know this going in, they just want to play as long as their body holds up.
hrubes20

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was unaware of this about Caroo as well. Maybe I'm not remembering things correctly, but it did seem like he was getting a few more snaps at the end of the year, though. Possibly a small indication that he was putting forth a bit more effort in practice.

But how nice is it to have a coach like this? Get rid of that sense of entitlement.

Big thanks to Big_Palooka on the sig!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: