Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Most surprising Patriots of 2017
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keysersoze3421

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Most surprising Patriots of 2017 Reply with quote

As a sister piece to the underwhelming Patriots thread, who were your most pleasant surprises?

Marcus Cannon, OT - I think he has to be the biggest surprise. Moving full time to tackle and having Scar back helped him earn second team All-Pro honors after allowing zero sacks on Tom Brady this season. He allowed 6 QB hits in 11 games after allowing 8 in the AFCG alone last year.

Eric Rowe, DB - The Pats acquired Rowe for pennies on the dollar given his draft position. He emerged as the corner opposite Malcolm Butler from the Seattle game onward (when healthy). Rowe's 56.9 passer rating against bested both Malcolm Butler's (76.3) and Logan Ryan's (75.4). His emergence as a boundary press corner allowed Logan Ryan to slide inside and provide a huge upgrade over Cyrus Jones and Justin Coleman.

Trey Flowers, DE - After logging only 4 snaps in 2015 and coming off a shoulder injury, most of us just hoped Flowers would be a valuable reserve player. His 7 sacks ended up leading the team, and he was, for much of the season, the clear best option to get after the QB.

animaltested wrote:
On a scale from Kitten to Hitler, being close minded about music, and only listening to one or two genres is about a Boss Tweed.
bluemushrooms

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James White

I'm pretty sure everyone expected him to pretty much get cut during preseason but, he's been fantastic this season and provides a much needed pass catching threat out of the backfield.
Also, his stats don't show it but, he's improved significantly as a runner out of the backfield. I'm not saying he's a serious ground threat just yet but, he showed enough improvement in his running technique and physicality that I still have hope for his ground game.

-Sig made by BenderRodriguez

2016 Adopt a Patriot: LeGarrette Blount
2015 Adopt a Patriot: James White

FirstDownFaulk wrote:
Chimdi is Love. Chekwa is Life.
Starless

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannon
Adopt-a-Patriot: DL #98 Trey Flowers
7 sacks ( since week 8 )
2.5 in the Super Bowl Cool
MoJo63

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with Cannon.

I think of few here saw flashes in Flowers and he panned out, White didn't surprise me at all his skills were obvious, he only down fall last year was he tended to go down on the first hit, that's improved some, Cannon was a bubble guy who could very easily been gone at the end of this season. He was a very pleasant and much needed surprise.

I'd like to Consider Mitchell his numbers don't jump out at you but he earned his stripes, early on coaches, players and fans took note of his blocking. TB12 warmed up to him and he's made some nice plays for rookie in this offense I think he at least deserves some consideration.
bluemushrooms

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoJo63 wrote:

I think of few here saw flashes in Flowers and he panned out, White didn't surprise me at all his skills were obvious, he only down fall last year was he tended to go down on the first hit, that's improved some, Cannon was a bubble guy who could very easily been gone at the end of this season. He was a very pleasant and much needed surprise.

I'd like to Consider Mitchell his numbers don't jump out at you but he earned his stripes, early on coaches, players and fans took note of his blocking. TB12 warmed up to him and he's made some nice plays for rookie in this offense I think he at least deserves some consideration.

To put White's catching in perspective...he has the second most receptions on the team with 60 catches. Only about 550 yards but, he caught a LOT of passes from Brady.

-Sig made by BenderRodriguez

2016 Adopt a Patriot: LeGarrette Blount
2015 Adopt a Patriot: James White

FirstDownFaulk wrote:
Chimdi is Love. Chekwa is Life.
MoJo63

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluemushrooms wrote:
MoJo63 wrote:

To put White's catching in perspective...he has the second most receptions on the team with 60 catches. Only about 550 yards but, he caught a LOT of passes from Brady.

I saw that second to Jules, and I think a lot of us here saw his potential last year.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

White had a nice year, but I don't know that I'd really say his output is surprising, given Lewis and Gronk being out for much of the year. I'd still hope for an upgrade going forward and I can't see him being worth re-signing given they let Woodhead and Vereen go for greener pastures. Perhaps Foster takes White's spot in 2018.

Cannon is clear cut #1 surprise, with Thuney and Mitchell being nice surprises too.
Yin-Yang

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following up Marcus Cannon is Blount, for me. I was not a fan whatsoever prior to this season, but he played well. His low showings are still there but I feel he wasn't the focal point in a lot of those games (Cleveland, Cincy, Denver). His high showings were surprising to me, for sure. He also played well along the goal line which, for someone as big as he is, he didn't do as consistently in the past.

biletnikoff wrote:
I can guarantee the Pats wont make it to the SB. Thats a lock. I will not be wrong. It doesnt matter whether its because of losses or Brady going down.It just wont happen.
dhunt2402

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering how little rookie receivers have done in the Brady/Belichick era, Mitchell's success ranks as a pretty huge surprise for me, and I was high on him in the draft.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yin-Yang wrote:
Following up Marcus Cannon is Blount, for me. I was not a fan whatsoever prior to this season, but he played well. His low showings are still there but I feel he wasn't the focal point in a lot of those games (Cleveland, Cincy, Denver). His high showings were surprising to me, for sure. He also played well along the goal line which, for someone as big as he is, he didn't do as consistently in the past.

Which games were "low showings"?
Yin-Yang

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Yin-Yang wrote:

The ones I mentioned above and also Seattle and NY, I'd say. He isn't always put in the best scenarios (obvious running situations) which partly explains his ranging YPC, but I feel these were not great performances for him.

biletnikoff wrote:
I can guarantee the Pats wont make it to the SB. Thats a lock. I will not be wrong. It doesnt matter whether its because of losses or Brady going down.It just wont happen.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yin-Yang wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Yin-Yang wrote:

The ones I mentioned above and also Seattle and NY, I'd say. He isn't always put in the best scenarios (obvious running situations) which partly explains his ranging YPC, but I feel these were not great performances for him.

If you think he had a low showing against Denver, I have to question how genuine you are being here.....
Yin-Yang

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Yin-Yang wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Yin-Yang wrote:

If you think he had a low showing against Denver, I have to question how genuine you are being here.....

What do you think he did vs Denver that constitutes not being a low showing?

EDIT: And I'm asking that genuinely. He showed solid fight with his TD run and didn't receive a ton of carries, but the ones he did receive went for pretty short yardage against a team that was supposed to be susceptible against the run (Lewis exploited it).

biletnikoff wrote:
dhunt2402

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also add Shaq Mason to this list. Definitely showed potential last year but very inconsistent, especially in pass protection. Whether you want to attribute to Scarnecchia or natural progression (a bit of both IMO), he's been downright dominant at times this season, completely took Suh out of the game last week.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No mention of Jimmy G? Not that he was a total unknown before this year but he showed he has franchise type potential. Up'd his asking price exponentially.

Mack on the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: