Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steelers to tag Bell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stillersenat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Steelers to tag Bell Reply with quote

First move in an obvious long term deal:

Quote:
NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Sunday on NFL GameDay Morning that the Steelers will franchise tag Bell.

The tag should be more than $12 million for running backs this season. Franchising Bell will give the sides an opportunity to work out a long-term deal.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000771344/article/pittsburgh-steelers-to-use-franchise-tag-on-leveon-bell

GaTechRavens wrote:
Let's not be blinded by a flashy stat without taking a deep look at the context behind it.
3rivers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Steelers to tag Bell Reply with quote

stillersenat wrote:
First move in an obvious long term deal:

Quote:
NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Sunday on NFL GameDay Morning that the Steelers will franchise tag Bell.

The tag should be more than $12 million for running backs this season. Franchising Bell will give the sides an opportunity to work out a long-term deal.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000771344/article/pittsburgh-steelers-to-use-franchise-tag-on-leveon-bell

as this post season plays out, his value will go up . The question is, how many years will they sign him for and will it be incentive loaded , what will the guarantee s be etc. If they don't sign him, that is a FAIL IMO unless he demands more than 15M per.
jebrick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<sarc>
I am stunned!! I would have never guessed it could happen!!
</sarc>

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
3rivers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
<sarc>
I am stunned!! I would have never guessed it could happen!!
</sarc>

what type of deal are you expecting or would put together?

Consider how the lifespan of a RB is, I can't see them signing him for more than 5 years.
warfelg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 yeas $50mil with $15 mil guaranteed.
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:

He's gonna get more then that guaranteed...if the tag is about $12 mill, the AAV won't be that high...

I'd guess something like 5 year $50 mill with about $20-25 mill guaranteed.
Chieferific

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanFanecaFan wrote:
warfelg wrote:

He's gonna get more then that guaranteed...if the tag is about $12 mill, the AAV won't be that high...

Didn't he coyly say he wanted 15 million a year? I think 5 years for 60 may be the starting point. It may get ugly.

warfelg wrote:
Quote:
why does KC have Houston (who is returning from a knee) cover AB on a crucial play? THAT makes no sense

They Butlered themselves. Laughing
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like they'll just tag him until the wheels fall off; if he'll keep taking the tag.

Off the field issues and injuries at a "dime a dozen" position makes it very risky to give him a long-term deal.

I absolutely want them to. I was ecstatic when they drafted him, but some things are questionable when it comes to Bell.

If he straightens his act up and stays healthy - pay the man. If not, just tag him until he's not worth it anymore.
3rivers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
AlanFanecaFan wrote:
warfelg wrote:

Didn't he coyly say he wanted 15 million a year? I think 5 years for 60 may be the starting point. It may get ugly.

maybe Defense and passing game would be better, for keeping his deal within reach. What if he is the reason we winSB, and MVP of SB? That will only raise his vallue which is already at the top.

The only factors that lower his contract are the suspensions and injuries. If he was never suspended and never missed games, imagine what deals he would be offered. Shocked He would be able to go through offers daily from many teams.

He'll still lower the shoulder and dish out some punishment now and again too Smile He could go down as the best RB of this generation IMO.
3rivers

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:
I feel like they'll just tag him until the wheels fall off; if he'll keep taking the tag.

Off the field issues and injuries at a "dime a dozen" position makes it very risky to give him a long-term deal.

I absolutely want them to. I was ecstatic when they drafted him, but some things are questionable when it comes to Bell.

If he straightens his act up and stays healthy - pay the man. If not, just tag him until he's not worth it anymore.

Too bad if they take this route, but I can't blame them due to the history, but Bell is a special player andIMO they should try to sign him. They wasted so much over the years on players that weren't worth it, and now this is clearly a player "worth" the contract ( if he stays healthy and out of trouble )

With the possibility of him not being with the team in a near future, could they draft in RD2 for RB? If Dwill retires, what RB's are UFA that could be back ups, comparable in skill to Dwill?
jebrick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can only use the tag twice. The 2nd time it would cost them 16M guaranteed.

I think 5 years $55M with 15-18M signing bonus. Better than Peterson and McCoy.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: