You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

5 Ups 5 Downs Wild Card edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
warfelg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about an up of Tomlin not going for 2-Pts after 2-Pts chasing the lost XPT that Boz missed.
3rivers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
I might catch heat for this but...If Ben is seriously hampered next week, or he simply does not play due to this, I would honestly want Tomlin fired.

I defend Tomlin, but my biggest knock on him has always been HE DOESNT F'KING LEARN!!!! How in the hell can you justify leaving our most important players in there that late with a 3 score lead? Idiot.

AS I JUST READ THIS HERE, I AM F'ING YELLING AT THE COMPUTER AND READY TO DRIVE DOWN THERE AND DEMAND AN EXPLANATION !

WTF WERE YOU THINKING KEEPING HIM IN THERE! THAT IS THE HC IS IT NOT? I WAS JUST CUTTING TOMLIN SOME SLACK AFTER THIS WIN AND THE
N I READ THIS

IT WAS A 4 POSSESION GAME IIRC, 4 NOT 3 !!!! HORRIBLE IF THIS COSTS US.

LETS NOT FORGET HOW HE HAD AB IN THERE FOR A PR TOO WHEN WE WERE WAY AHEAD WTF IS THIS?

Last edited by 3rivers on Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
3rivers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
Here's my devils argument to the Ben in a boot:

What if backups came in, and suddenly it goes from 30-12 to 30-19. Then maybe Landry fumbles and they score again and it's 30-21 or 30-24. Ya'll would be roasting Tomlin for NOT sticking with the starters.

I'm not saying I'm happy with them being in there, but with the way people were mad we didn't score more, could you imagine what the talk would be if the Fins scored 2 times with a Landry-Williams-Trussant-Coates-Hamilton offensive group out there?

I can honestly 100% say we wouldn't hear the end about how Tomlin tried to throw the game away by playing backups.

valid points, but when is the last time a team rebounded on the road from 4 possession deficit when they couldn't run the ball (avg 2.1 ypc) and they have a back up qb . Then consider the team is missing their starting CB and are a tropical team playing in the cold.

Our QB needs to be pulled when we are up that much with 1 quarter to go. If we lose, then the D gets the blame, but how would we not score at all?

Any link to the play that caused the injury? I saw Gilbert get shaken up, never knew Ben though
3rivers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/8/14207168/ben-roethlisberger-ankle-injury-dolphins-vs-steelers

2nd to last play, nice one tomlin. Blowout and the D is controlling the game, they can't run the ball. Applause
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:
http://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/8/14207168/ben-roethlisberger-ankle-injury-dolphins-vs-steelers

2nd to last play, nice one tomlin. Blowout and the D is controlling the game, they can't run the ball. Applause

Pittsburgh media and others are slamming Tomlin as well they should. His propensity to keep starters playing when the game is well in hand for either team is really mind boggling.

Thanks to UniversalAuthor for the Sidney Crosby sig
3rivers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
3rivers wrote:

Pittsburgh media and others are slamming Tomlin as well they should. His propensity to keep starters playing when the game is well in hand for either team is really mind boggling.

DON'T THE ASSISTANT COACHES TELL HIM TO GET REAL AND STOP PLAYING THE STARS ?

WTF WAS HE THINKING? AND THEN HE HAD AB ON THE LAST PUNT RETURN? DID HE ALSO HAVE BELL AND HARRISON ON ST FOR THAT ONE WHILE HE WAS AT IT?

I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS , ESPECIALLY AFTER HIM RESTING THE PLAYERS LAST WEEK. WHAT IS HIS REASON?
warfelg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
3rivers wrote:

Anyone else notice through the entire press conference while being asked about the injury Ben was grinning?

Like, I find that telling that he was like....I dunno....basically brushing it off like it's nothing.
warfelg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Things I find interesting Reply with quote

I find it interesting that this defensive resurgence started against the Browns, a bad offense, and people brushed it off as so. But now Harrison and Dupree are getting it done against good lines too.

Watching the run blocking I find it interesting that this group isn't a blow you off the line like Dallas is. Their a line that doesn't zone block, but rather blocks in a way where they stretch the defenders horizontally, get to the next level. Bell is really good at waiting and seeing what hole this opens up for him.

Ben had a "low" passing yards game, but it's one of those that you don't knock.

McCullers had a decent game.

Shazier and Dupree are the new Timmons and Woodley.
3rivers

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Things I find interesting Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
I find it interesting that this defensive resurgence started against the Browns, a bad offense, and people brushed it off as so. But now Harrison and Dupree are getting it done against good lines too.

Watching the run blocking I find it interesting that this group isn't a blow you off the line like Dallas is. Their a line that doesn't zone block, but rather blocks in a way where they stretch the defenders horizontally, get to the next level. Bell is really good at waiting and seeing what hole this opens up for him.

Ben had a "low" passing yards game, but it's one of those that you don't knock.

McCullers had a decent game.

Shazier and Dupree are the new Timmons and Woodley.

Not so fast about the LB's but they have differences to me. Shazier has even more speed than Timmons, but not sure if he is as good a blitzes as timmons was. Woodley was better then Bud, but if Bud keeps improving that is always going to help

If the above is true for the rest of the playoffs as it did in 2008, then I am willing to eat crow, serve me up .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBQP_pnpFPU

Woodley was dominant, that shouldn't be forgotten.

Deebo, time freezes for him, so lets just say he is still capable and almost like 2011 which is still quite capable isn't it. I expect him to dominate next week.

If you are referring to them as the replacements we needed, I agree 100% because jj and moats weren't the answer at OLB in this scheme.

Bud brought the pain today didn't he, good effort. At 270Lbs and flying around there is kinetic impact that opponents are learning about Very Happy Nobody hits like Deebo used to (2010 era) but the nfl won't allow that anymore anyways.

Agree bout DMC, he has his moments in a rotation , appears faster than his rookie year.

Tuitt was a force out there as was Hargrave. This D is hitting stride , and as long as mitchell doesn't KO our own players, they could keep getting better if the rush is there and the run D is good - it changes everything IMO

I am toopissed off to do the 5up 5 down, Ben getting hurt because of tomlin ruined this for me.
JLambert58

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great win! Anytime you get a win in the playoffs, it is a great win.

UP
1 Bell - what can you say? Superlatives all around
2 AB - Again, boring, but those 2 receptions basically won the game for us
(2a - Nice to see Ayers contribute for a second straight game)
3 Jesse James - great block on AB TD and heads up play on MIA botched INT that went for a catch & tackle on Ben's INT
4 OL - Great blocks and creating space for Bell including some really outstanding second level blocking. DDC, Gilbert were big, AV big block downfield on Bell's almost TD and kept Ben relatively clean
5 Defense
Cockrell - made a great play in the endzone to prevent the 2 pt. conv - 8 tackles
Dupree - played fast and was very disruptive. 6 tackles, .5 sack, 2 QB hits Should have had an addition sack if he wasn't held. Monster hit on Moore that was *almost* a clean hit
Timmons - had 14 tackles and sealed the game away with 2 consecutive sacks
Tuitt was tremendous coming off of injury - fumble recovery, would have had a sack but Moore got past the LOS, big 3rd dn stop
Harrison - 1.5 sacks, FF, 10 tackles, 2 QB hits and generally disruptive all game
Shazier - INT, 6 tackles, PD and 2 QB hits - was all over the field
Mitchell sack & FF
HM - LT Walton with a fumble recovery

HELD AJAYI to 33 yds. Got 3 TOs & 5 sacks. Tremendous showing!

DOWN
1 Dropped passes - AB had 2, DHB had 1
2 Mitchell nearly knocking Cockrell out of the game. - If there is one area where we are paper thin, it is CB - Imagine if Ross had been out for next week
3 ST fake punt, missed xp, crappy returns - not good
4 Playing the 3 Bs until the very end - C'mon man! (Ben got hurt)
5 Gay looked a step slow on a couple plays - father time is coming
6 Ridiculous pass play late in the game/ Ben's ridiculous INT/not getting rid of the ball before Suh took a nap on his ankle

We're on to KC! Time to hit the ice tub!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not as mad about Ben not coming out as I am about the rest. Does Brady come out half way thru the 4th with a big lead? Did Russell Wilso. Come out Saturday with 4 minutes left? Not that common to pull a QB.

But we have a very capable backup RB we hardly ever use and other guys that can fair catch a punt plus other receivers used all the time that can take plays for AB.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
I'm not as mad about Ben not coming out as I am about the rest. Does Brady come out half way thru the 4th with a big lead? Did Russell Wilso. Come out Saturday with 4 minutes left? Not that common to pull a QB.

But we have a very capable backup RB we hardly ever use and other guys that can fair catch a punt plus other receivers used all the time that can take plays for AB.

Does Brady or Wilson get injured like Ben does? No.

But forget about taking him out....they shouldnt have been throwing the ball at all that late. after the half, they let their foot off the gas....but then they decided to throw it with 4 minutes left @nd up by 24.

Idiotic coaching from both Tomlin and Haley.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:

Agreed with all of this.

I've read people saying it should have been Landry, Trussaint, Coats, and Hamilton all 4th quarter since we were up 30-12. Could you imagine the reaction today if they did that and we had 2 quick 3-and-outs and Miami scored? Oh got Tomlin would be roasted for taking his foot off the gas pedal.

It's unreal how "no win" of a coach Tomlin is.
warfelg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cousin said she saw Ben this morning.

No boot.
No limp.
Asked if he was ok, he said "All good."

Sounds like the boot was more precautionary than necessary last night.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
Agreed with all of this.

I've read people saying it should have been Landry, Trussaint, Coats, and Hamilton all 4th quarter since we were up 30-12. Could you imagine the reaction today if they did that and we had 2 quick 3-and-outs and Miami scored? Oh got Tomlin would be roasted for taking his foot off the gas pedal.

It's unreal how "no win" of a coach Tomlin is.

I defend Tomlin from alot of stuff and agree with that sentiment most of the time, but you gotta be smarter about the situation.

We were up 30 - 6 more than half of the 4th quarter, and even when it hit 30-12, there was only 6 minutes left and they shouldve just leaned on the run since it was clear they werent trying to score anymore. 3 score game....we have the ball with 6 minutes left......clearly just trying to run out the clock and we have a QB who gets injured pretty easily.

Its a no brainer. We went 3 and out on the last few series anyway.....so why not just let Landry hand it off? Our defense was playing well enough that there wasnt really ANY chance of them scoring 3 more times. When Ben threw the INT (and got injured) there was 4:34 left on the clock. If we run it there, it goes down below 4 minutes and we can pin them deep with a punt.

I just dont see any defense for the decision to keep Ben and Brown in that late. We werent facing some type of explosive offense. If we were facing the Patriots or something, that would be different. We were facing a Matt Moore led Dolphins team who had trouble scoring all game, and wouldve only had 4 minutes left to drive AT LEAST 75 yards, and even if they scored a TD, would still need 1 or 2 more onsides kicks, and a ton of luck.

I feel like the boot was more for either precaution (maybe his ankle was just slightly hurting) or show (we know Ben), so it may not be a big deal. However, I still think it was stupid a) not to put Ben in there while up 3 scores late in the 4th, b) not to give DWill some more touches and give LeVeon more rest and c) having Brown returning punts in the 4th quarter while up 24 points.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: