Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chris Berman out at ESPN
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Thomas5737


Joined: 23 Dec 2009
Posts: 15328
Location: West Virginia Occupation: Browns LT
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yin-Yang wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
sdrawkcab321 wrote:
Was he really that bad? I don't watch pre game shows or his highlights. Use to love him though.


I think people found out that he liked listening to Nickelback so it was instant hate.

People have been hating on him for a long time. His original generation liked him (for the most part), he brought entertainment not just reading a script. It become cool to hate him and we all want to be cool.

We can find faults with all of us, so once you have a target on you it's hard to avoid the arrows.


The guy talked about traveling to Canada to attain the drugs that he was high on while filming. His sound effects have gone stale years ago. There are multiple instances of his disrespect to coworkers. A settlement was made. He brings virtually no insight or creativity to whatever segment he's apart of.

Yeah, the dude's a victim and we're all here to be "cool".


I never claimed he was a victim and I don't know all of his personal life story, I'm just talking about his job.

He is less annoying than the people always complaining about everything. You can not completely like something without always feeling the need to complain and whine like a large portion of society does today. You don't like Nickelback? So what. Berman? So what. You don't have to claim they are the worst ever, it makes you seem weird.

Okay, I'm done complaining and whining.
_________________
NudeTayne wrote:
ditchdigger wrote:
*Zayne
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrBurfict


Joined: 10 Jan 2016
Posts: 359
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yin-Yang wrote:
Thomas5737 wrote:
sdrawkcab321 wrote:
Was he really that bad? I don't watch pre game shows or his highlights. Use to love him though.


I think people found out that he liked listening to Nickelback so it was instant hate.

People have been hating on him for a long time. His original generation liked him (for the most part), he brought entertainment not just reading a script. It become cool to hate him and we all want to be cool.

We can find faults with all of us, so once you have a target on you it's hard to avoid the arrows.


The guy talked about traveling to Canada to attain the drugs that he was high on while filming. His sound effects have gone stale years ago. There are multiple instances of his disrespect to coworkers. A settlement was made. He brings virtually no insight or creativity to whatever segment he's apart of.

Yeah, the dude's a victim and we're all here to be "cool".


Came here to post this. My biggest beef is the videos/stories of his disrespectful attitude towards his co-workers. By many accounts, he is an awful person to work with.

As an on-screen personality, I admittedly loved him as a teenager, but after DECADES of the same schtick over and over again, one can't help but to roll their eyes after a while.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KingBishop


Joined: 29 Dec 2013
Posts: 8255
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it was great when Vilma got drafted and he tried to say it how Fred Flintstone says Wilma!!!!
_________________
Favorite Players in this Class:

David Njoku, Jourdan Lewis, Steven Taylor, Tedric Thompson, Marlon Mack, Brian Hill, OJ Howard, Jamal Adams, Malik Hooker, Marcus Williams, Eddie Jackson

Deforest Buckner is the best player in the 2016 draft class
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tom cody


Joined: 01 Sep 2007
Posts: 13427
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mind him at all, didn't know any of the stories beforehand of him not being good to his co-workers. That certainly lowers him in my eyes.
_________________
I bought one of those tapes to teach you Spanish in your sleep. During the night, the tape skipped. Now I can only stutter in Spanish.

Courtesy of an online joke search.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
MWil23


Joined: 25 Aug 2006
Posts: 6433
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder who's going to spoil the draft pick(s) 30 seconds early now.

"A lot of people think that the Browns are going to go with _______ here, but I've got a gut feeling that a trade is brewing. Let's go to the podium..."

*Commissioner announces the trade*

Berman makes some vague humble-brag comment pretending he doesn't have insider info and/or an earpiece..."WOW...that was just a hunch but let's see the details..."
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
m haynes


Joined: 29 Jan 2011
Posts: 1625
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berman is a legend. He is the original, that all have followed. He made sports fun and he was the driving force that made what ESPN is today.

Did he lose his fastball,was he a jerk to work with, unprepared, yes to all. However he is the man that shape what we now have in Sports casting the inspiration to all Sportscasters, that gave us the likes of GOAT Stuart Scott. Things he said you brought to the ball field with your friends, they are now etched in the fabric in today today sports.

Good luck Berman. Thank you for you contribution to my sports entertainment

A true legend. NAN NAN, NAN NAN (?) Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 11778
Location: MD
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:
HorizontoZenith wrote:
I don't really care for the 362 days of the year I don't watch ESPN, but I certainly care for the draft. There was nothing more obnoxious than him pretending to accurately guess what the pick was 32 times in a row when literally everybody knows he already knows who the pick is.


That stuff got old.

Berman was iconic for a time, IMO, early ESPN. When it was way more fun. But it grew tired fast and he just tried too hard.

I don't even know what ESPN's direction is anymore but there used to be a channel that streamed old SC's. Yes, old SC's and holy crap that was entertaining. Maybe I'm just nostalgic.


Personally, I think the product lost it's way somewhere around "Who's Now?"

Old SC was great. I realize everything is different now with internet, smart phones, etc., but I really miss old SC for the gym in the morning. It was perfect for 30 mins on the bike. Basically get the feel of how every game from the day before transpired. Now you're lucky if they spend anything close to 30% on highlights.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Yin-Yang


Joined: 31 Jan 2015
Posts: 1946
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas5737 wrote:
I never claimed he was a victim and I don't know all of his personal life story, I'm just talking about his job.

He is less annoying than the people always complaining about everything. You can not completely like something without always feeling the need to complain and whine like a large portion of society does today. You don't like Nickelback? So what. Berman? So what. You don't have to claim they are the worst ever, it makes you seem weird.

Okay, I'm done complaining and whining.


Odd, I don't see anyone calling him the worst ever. Me, or anyone else.

What do you expect to happen on a forum? People not post their opinions? It's an adult discussion, I don't think we need to enforce the "if you have nothing nice to say" rule.

If you find him victimized (hard to get that arrow off your back) or less annoying (opinions and all that) then that's fine, but it's pretty unintelligent to assume his criticism stems from senseless hate. He doesn't appear to be a good guy, his TV personality has run it's course, and people expressed that. No social injustice was committed here.
_________________


biletnikoff wrote:
I can guarantee the Pats wont make it to the SB. Thats a lock. I will not be wrong. It doesnt matter whether its because of losses or Brady going down.It just wont happen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PapaShogun


Joined: 20 Jan 2014
Posts: 1572
Location: Macau
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Berman and Tom Jackson on NFL Primetime in the late 80's and throughout the 90's was money.



It was must-see TV for me. I really miss those days. Along with Sportscenter when it was broadcast by guys like Rich Eisen, Larry Beil, Robin Roberts, Dan Patrick, Keith Olberman, and Stuwart Scott. It hasn't been the same since the early 2000's. Neil Everett is the only one left that I think is pretty good.
_________________

- Five Time Super Bowl Champion San Francisco 49ers -
1981*1984*1988*1989*1994*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Badger75


Joined: 08 Apr 2008
Posts: 8593
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
Praise all that is holy! Love the new ESPN crew of Wood, Moss, Hasselbeck and Dilfer but hated having to still listen to that tool Berman. Good riddance to be honest.


Bring the mustard. Berman is old school. Plenty of horseradish.... Wink
_________________
"I have to keep playing so people over 40 will have somebody to root for on Sunday afternoons." George Blanda who played until he was 46
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
m haynes


Joined: 29 Jan 2011
Posts: 1625
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PapaShogun wrote:
Chris Berman and Tom Jackson on NFL Primetime in the late 80's and throughout the 90's was money.



It was must-see TV for me. I really miss those days. Along with Sportscenter when it was broadcast by guys like Rich Eisen, Larry Beil, Robin Roberts, Dan Patrick, Keith Olberman, and Stuwart Scott. It hasn't been the same since the early 2000's. Neil Everett is the only one left that I think is pretty good.
100% Can't miss TV. If you missed it, you had nothing to add the next day with your buddies. " Did you hear Berman on Big Macs homer last night, Man that was great"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BStanRamFan


Joined: 10 Aug 2016
Posts: 270
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah if I had to watch anymore interviews with him and Joe Namath talking about how good Crazy Legs, Shoe-Less, white socks McGee was in the 1960's I was going to lose it.

ESPN in general has jumped the shark. SVP is the only tolerable one on that network. I like them for NBA, but give me Eisen, Warner, Faulk, Mooch over Hasselback, Dilfer, and Moss any day. Hell give me Fox sports over ESPN. All the castoff's from ESPN I liked more anyway (Broussard and Cowherd).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dubyajay


Joined: 23 Mar 2010
Posts: 2245
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlaqOptic wrote:
Berman was barely involved in ESPN's Football Coverage nowadays guys. He let the other 4 guys speak and then would speak with a logical tone when they finished making flashpoints. He then would do the Sunday Night "Blitz" coverage which was about 4 different 5 minute segments. For what it's worth he was the only guy worth watching on most networks - sans the CBS team - other than Eisen.


So literally, watch the only competition.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BLick12


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 31511
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dante9876 wrote:
BlaqOptic wrote:
Berman was barely involved in ESPN's Football Coverage nowadays guys. He let the other 4 guys speak and then would speak with a logical tone when they finished making flashpoints. He then would do the Sunday Night "Blitz" coverage which was about 4 different 5 minute segments. For what it's worth he was the only guy worth watching on most networks - sans the CBS team - other than Eisen.


Right. People are so over the top on guys who are older in the business. Its like you either have to retire or die while still on top or you going to get bash cause you dont do it good no more after 40 years in the biz. He didnt speak that much now anyway. Just was the familiar face on shows. Fact is only one other dude even compares to him doing highlights back in the day and that was George Michael on NBC. These two dudes brought entertainment to sports highlights and updates.


People still loved Verne Lundquist.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
goldfishwars


Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Posts: 11936
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/thanks-for-the-memories-chris-berman-1790506253

Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group