You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jets Offseason Overlook
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 86, 87, 88  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:
I understand the importance of pass rushing, but I've always felt that it's been a but over blown on here. Last season was just a down year with poor position coaches. 2014-15 , our sack totals were just as good as the Panthers & Seahawks who made the superbowl those years. I think the numbers will get better. Mo is fired up , Leo is getting better, we still have Richardson who will be playing for a bigger contract, and we get to see what Greene & his olbs can do. Jenkins looked pretty good when he got out there.

No one really knows how well Maye, Adams, Claiborne, and Burris could play together this season.
Name the last team to win an SB with a guy who was top 5 in the league in sacks. It's way overblown.

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:
I understand the importance of pass rushing, but I've always felt that it's been a but over blown on here. Last season was just a down year with poor position coaches. 2014-15 , our sack totals were just as good as the Panthers & Seahawks who made the superbowl those years. I think the numbers will get better. Mo is fired up , Leo is getting better, we still have Richardson who will be playing for a bigger contract, and we get to see what Greene & his olbs can do. Jenkins looked pretty good when he got out there.

No one really knows how well Maye, Adams, Claiborne, and Burris could play together this season.
Name the last team to win an SB with a guy who was top 5 in the league in sacks. It's way overblown.

Last year Beasley was first and at least was in the super bowl. The year before Miller and Short were tied for 8th but it was Miller's post season sacks that were a major reason Denver won. Denver led the league in sacks that year and needed them because of their terrible offense.

The actual sacks by the pass rusher don't matter as much as disturbing the QB either by hurrying their throw (and all QBs are less efficient when under pressure) or by forcing the QB to move up into another defensive lineman.
Right now we get very little pressure applied by our edge. It didn't matter much when we had Revis and Cromartie playing at a high level but when you don't have a shutdown corner, it makes it harder to put pressure on the QB by blitzing. Most accurate QBs can eat up a defense if they have time. A good edge rusher, forcing a QB into a hurried pass, helps the secondary.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A well balanced pass rush works just as well. Don't need a von miller when if the team is getting the same total amount as their team. It also makes it harder for offenses to plan because most of the pressure isn't coming from one person. So it works in both ways. I think we have the players, they just have to get back on track. It's going to be interesting to see what Kacy dial up.

I'm not just being hopeful, but it's just odd for us to go from 44,39, then to 27 sacks. All of the guys are still young enough to bounce back or improve. Last season was probably an example of poor play calling. We'll see. I'm really excited to see what Jordan Jenkins will do this year.

JETS . HEAT . ATLANTA UNITED FC . UCLA/GEORGIA STATE .
Bobby816

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:
A well balanced pass rush works just as well. Don't need a von miller when if the team is getting the same total amount as their team. It also makes it harder for offenses to plan because most of the pressure isn't coming from one person. So it works in both ways. I think we have the players, they just have to get back on track. It's going to be interesting to see what Kacy dial up.

I'm not just being hopeful, but it's just odd for us to go from 44,39, then to 27 sacks. All of the guys are still young enough to bounce back or improve. Last season was probably an example of poor play calling. We'll see. I'm really excited to see what Jordan Jenkins will do this year.

We don't have an elite pass rush. But every unit plays off of each other. You're correct in that we don't need a 15+ sack guy to say you have a great pass rush. Having a bunch of guys at 5-10 is fine. But we have generated sacks in the past bc of an above average secondary and an elite dline. Our dline should still be great and our safeties going forward should be great. We will have to see what we have at CB, it's still a question mark. But if we can keep this dline intact and get above average play from our CBs our pass rush will be better.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:

We don't have an elite pass rush. But every unit plays off of each other. You're correct in that we don't need a 15+ sack guy to say you have a great pass rush. Having a bunch of guys at 5-10 is fine. But we have generated sacks in the past bc of an above average secondary and an elite dline. Our dline should still be great and our safeties going forward should be great. We will have to see what we have at CB, it's still a question mark. But if we can keep this dline intact and get above average play from our CBs our pass rush will be better.

I agree 100%. After what Claiborne did to my fantasy WR's all last season, I know he can play. just hope he stays healthy. The battle between Burris, Roberts, and Williams will be interesting. They all have flashed at some point. Williams graded as a 70 on PFF and had 6ints one year and he's still 26. But there's no telling what will happen, but I expect improvement.

rickyt31

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll admit, my biggest concern is the ILB situation. Father time is breathing down Harris' neck, and Lee struggled last season. I really hope we find someone or sign Hodges. So if Lee continues, we can start Hodges & Harris. If Lee improves & Harris drops, Lee & Hodges. We play a lot of passing teams this year, Harris will need to come off the field a lot.

Bianconero

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just so excited about Adams

He is going to elevate everyone's game

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bianconero wrote:

I hope so, Ronnie Lott, Troy Polamalu, Larry Wilson, Ed Reed, Emlen Tunnel, Willie Wood, Eric Berry, are all players who elevate their teams. But safeties like these guys, come alone every 10 years. Lets hope we got a super star safety, that could join this group.
Mr.O

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shout out to Cro for kid #14

Props El Ramster on the sig
Bobby816

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bianconero wrote:

I see more of a Sean Taylor comparison for Adams than I do a Berry.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.O wrote:
shout out to Cro for kid #14

7 on 7 drills without needing extended family haha
Bobby816

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something to note... Lozo has lost 10lbs to try and add more speed around the edge.
ekill08x

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
Something to note... Lozo has lost 10lbs to try and add more speed around the edge.

LOL great so he is basically just giving up on being able to do anything else. Not impressed with him at all hes a liability in any other assignment out there. Can't play the run what so ever and always seems to get close and never get sacks. Has to show us something this year to even stay on this team in 2018.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:

LOL great so he is basically just giving up on being able to do anything else. Not impressed with him at all hes a liability in any other assignment out there. Can't play the run what so ever and always seems to get close and never get sacks. Has to show us something this year to even stay on this team in 2018.

Agreed, same could be said for a lot of other players. I'm okay with him not getting sacks if he can get constant pressure.

IMO 10 pressures > 1 or 2 sacks. I'd have to imagine he'll only be playing in pass rush situations anyway, we should have more of those with the beefed up secondary.
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:

You do realize that he was in the mid 260s last year he said which puts him in the mid 250s now. How is he giving up on doing everything else lol. Hes not down to 230 or something. Our edge setting OLB is the same weight basically. Sounds like he was trying to beef up to play more DL last year and hes back to his ideal playing weight actually.

Props to Mack on the sig

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 86, 87, 88  Next
Page 62 of 88

Jump to: