You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jets Offseason Overlook
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 86, 87, 88  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobby816

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming Hodges left without a deal. Smh.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
I'm assuming Hodges left without a deal. Smh.

I think about 2 of our Free agents left at one point with out deals and eventually signed. I can't look to deep into that yet. I really hope we sign him. I haven't given up on Lee yet, but Hodges makes too much sense to me.

JETS . HEAT . ATLANTA UNITED FC . UCLA/GEORGIA STATE .
Rich51

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hodges would be a great pickup imo. I checked PFF and PF Ref. He played 2 snaps in his rookie year about 47% in 2014 with a PFF grade of 82.7. He had an off year per PFF in 2015 but it might be attributable to being traded mid year. Last year with over 50% of snaps he was at 82.4. In 5 games last year he totaled only 34 snaps so it might have been due to injury otherwise he'd be up in the 70-80% range in the other 11 games. He would have been my 3rd choice, after Brown and Minter at the beginning of free agency so I would love to sign him now. I believe he would add more to the defense than Harris. After signing our rookies, Harris might have to be cut to make room for Hodges since we only have 8m left this year and that might be eaten up by Adams(5- 6m) and May (2m)
rickyt31

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking at how the Steelers, Ravens, Seahawks, and 49ers built their teams before improving their QB situation when they were winning. Good defense and rushing the ball.

I don't think we're far from that formula. Continue to stick with it until we find the QB that can get the job done.

Bobby816

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:
I've been looking at how the Steelers, Ravens, Seahawks, and 49ers built their teams before improving their QB situation when they were winning. Good defense and rushing the ball.

I don't think we're far from that formula. Continue to stick with it until we find the QB that can get the job done.

And who do we have to rush the ball?!?!
ekill08x

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:

AND its not like our defense is going to be substantially better either! It wont be as bad but we still lack corners, an imposing ILB and a true pass rusher

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:

Our O-line was riddled with injury last year and we gave Forte most of the touches. YOu know where we finished? Tied for 12th in YPC.

With a more stable O-line this year (you even said so yourself), more touches for Powell/McGuire both of which are better runners at this point in their careers than probably Forte, and hopefully more stable QB play could potentially give us a top 10 YPC rush attack which is plenty good.

You didn't need to draft Fournette or Cook to have a good rush attack this year, which I know you were hinting at.

The Browns had the #2 YPC attack last year with an undrafted RB in Crowell. GB was top 10 with a converted WR.

Steady QB play and stability up front is what we need not an elite RB. LA was 2nd to last with Gurley because they had no line and horrible QB play.

Props to Mack on the sig
Abe56

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:

Powell was playing awesome at the end of last year
rickyt31

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relax people, I'm not basing that off of this up coming season. I'm looking over the next two years. The offseason isn't over anyway. Our run defense is good enough, LB's are young enough to get better (besides Harris), Burris coming from a rookie year, Claiborne had a great season before injury. I think our defense can be pretty good sooner than later.

As it was mentioned, we were 12th in rushing. Now we have a new scheme, Shell with more experience, and a new LT. It could be better. Powell averaged 5.5yds per carry vs stacked boxes. It's not like we have no one back there. Go look at the rushing attack of those teams besides the seahawks and compare them to ours from last season. The years before their QBs came in. Compare their WRs stats as well. Especially the Steelers.

Mr.O

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone think we could be interested in Jeremy Hill? Seems like he could be on the block with them taking Mixon and having Bernard there already.

Props El Ramster on the sig
rickyt31

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.O wrote:
Anyone think we could be interested in Jeremy Hill? Seems like he could be on the block with them taking Mixon and having Bernard there already.

I thought about that during the draft. Him for Pryor type of deal. I wouldn't mind pending on how well McGuire looks as a RB. We just tried out 2 RBs, so I know Macc is looking at a another RB.

jetskid007

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless what happens this year, next offseason is going to be an interesting one for the offense.

From a talent standpoint, our defense stacks up well with the rest around the league. We could use another corner, but we don't necessarily need another corner. We can use another EDGE rusher, but we may not need them depending on how Jenkins/Mauldin/Donahue develop (regardless of need, that position will always be a priority with Maccagnan's drafting philosophy). We can use a LB to be Harris' successor, but if Lee can take steps forward towards being a complete LB the need for a MLB diminishes. We're set along the DL and went from having one of the weakest talent at safety to one of the best in the league.

We can't say the same things for the offensive side of the ball from a talent prospective. Unlike many defensive positions, we don't have the kind of young talent that have already shown some upside other than Shell and the WRs. We don't know what we have in our young guys at many key positions, namely at QB, RB, and TE, and it remains to be seen whether Beachum and Johnson are long-term or short-term answers on the OL. It would be naive to think everything goes swimmingly, but if we can say that we may have an answer at QB 8 months from now, this season will have been a success.
Rich51

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
Regardless what happens this year, next offseason is going to be an interesting one for the offense.

From a talent standpoint, our defense stacks up well with the rest around the league. We could use another corner, but we don't necessarily need another corner. We can use another EDGE rusher, but we may not need them depending on how Jenkins/Mauldin/Donahue develop (regardless of need, that position will always be a priority with Maccagnan's drafting philosophy). We can use a LB to be Harris' successor, but if Lee can take steps forward towards being a complete LB the need for a MLB diminishes. We're set along the DL and went from having one of the weakest talent at safety to one of the best in the league.

We can't say the same things for the offensive side of the ball from a talent prospective. Unlike many defensive positions, we don't have the kind of young talent that have already shown some upside other than Shell and the WRs. We don't know what we have in our young guys at many key positions, namely at QB, RB, and TE, and it remains to be seen whether Beachum and Johnson are long-term or short-term answers on the OL. It would be naive to think everything goes swimmingly, but if we can say that we may have an answer at QB 8 months from now, this season will have been a success.

I don't share your optimism about the defense. Our CBs in 2018 will be Skrine, who will save us 6m by cutting, Burris and a bunch of 6th and 7th round draft picks.

We don't have a pure pass rusher on the team. I hope Greene can mold somebody, but until that happens it's a weakness.

At ILB Harris will probably be gone and all we have are some undrafted guys to replace his 899 snaps in 15 games. Lee will take some of them but when healthy he was already playing about 80% of the snaps. Hopefully someone steps up but we can't count on it. Maybe we plan on using Pryor or Maye to play next to Lee.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:

I think this season we will learn what we need in terms of offense. Defense like you said has the building blocks in place and they should grow, at the very least we will be far more competitive than last season. For offense, if Hack can be that answer we've been looking for then all that draft capital we've talked about trading to get the number 1 pick could get used towards OL/TE/PR.

I'm just excited to watch everyone compete this year. I wish each team did a Hard knocks style show for training camp because I feel like you really get a better feel for the team that appears on it.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the importance of pass rushing, but I've always felt that it's been a but over blown on here. Last season was just a down year with poor position coaches. 2014-15 , our sack totals were just as good as the Panthers & Seahawks who made the superbowl those years. I think the numbers will get better. Mo is fired up , Leo is getting better, we still have Richardson who will be playing for a bigger contract, and we get to see what Greene & his olbs can do. Jenkins looked pretty good when he got out there.

No one really knows how well Maye, Adams, Claiborne, and Burris could play together this season.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 86, 87, 88  Next
Page 61 of 88

Jump to: