Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jets Offseason Overlook
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 50, 51, 52  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to venture a guess, we're going secondary with our 1st rounder no matter what.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnaby8787 wrote:
If I had to venture a guess, we're going secondary with our 1st rounder no matter what.

I think we have Adams at the top of our board. As much as I love Howard I saw a lot of due diligence on mid round TE's so unless something crazy happens we may pass on Howard for a mid round TE.

Props to Mack on the sig
GangGreen420

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockice_8 wrote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Fournette would be such a bad pick. Why are we going to waste his prime here over the next 3 years rebuilding and running him into the ground. Just such a massive waste of a pick for a rebuilding team. We can create an identity with the running game without using a premium pick on a RB.

Give me Sammy Perine later if you want to pound the rock and have an identity. He's a tough runner with better hands then Fournette.

I still want Howard the most but will be happy with either safety as well.

If he's a tier 1 RB (top 5) then he's worth it. We don't have to run him into the ground this year either. Next year when we have a rookie QB/whoever in place having a top RB to lean on will be huge and we can actually be competitive. How can we figure a RB isn't worth that pick and instead draft a TE? Looking back at first round TE lately were any of them really worth it? I think the last one drafted in the top 10 was Ebron and they certainly could of done better there. Yeah RBs have a shorter life but Fournette would have a greater impact on our offense than any other player in this draft.
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockice_8 wrote:
barnaby8787 wrote:

I think we have Adams at the top of our board. As much as I love Howard I saw a lot of due diligence on mid round TE's so unless something crazy happens we may pass on Howard for a mid round TE.
Agree 100%

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GangGreen420 wrote:
Rockice_8 wrote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Fournette would be such a bad pick. Why are we going to waste his prime here over the next 3 years rebuilding and running him into the ground. Just such a massive waste of a pick for a rebuilding team. We can create an identity with the running game without using a premium pick on a RB.

Give me Sammy Perine later if you want to pound the rock and have an identity. He's a tough runner with better hands then Fournette.

If he's a tier 1 RB (top 5) then he's worth it. We don't have to run him into the ground this year either. Next year when we have a rookie QB/whoever in place having a top RB to lean on will be huge and we can actually be competitive. How can we figure a RB isn't worth that pick and instead draft a TE? Looking back at first round TE lately were any of them really worth it? I think the last one drafted in the top 10 was Ebron and they certainly could of done better there. Yeah RBs have a shorter life but Fournette would have a greater impact on our offense than any other player in this draft.

Ok just because Ebron didn't work out doesn't mean Howard won't. Plus Ebron is actually starting to figure it out as TE's usually take a year or two to get settled in. In 2-3 years a good chunk of a RBs career is gone compared to a TE just entering theirs. That fits our rebuild way better.
There are a million reasons to not draft Fournette and go with Howard instead.

Fournette has durability issues from a heavy college workload, RBs have a much shorter shelf life, he isn't scheme versatile like Howard since there are questions about his hands and pass blocking, and finally the chance of finding a mid round gem is no higher then for the RB position.

I have Adams above Howard so I'm not all Howard or bust but 10 times out of 10 I'm taking Howard over Fournette.

Howard is a 3 down TE. If Fournette had hands like McCaffrey he'd be much higher on my list and worthy of a top 10 pick but I'm sorry no where in my approach to building a team does taking a faster version of Chris Ivory factor in to my plans.

You want to give a young QB a RB that's great I'm not against a good running game but I think a TE is just as good and based on everything I said above I'd go with the elite TE.

Fournette is made for CAR, they have an elite QB and are playoff bound. They are the team that should be taking Fournette. I can see JAC doing it too since they are desperate to win this season with all the money they spent. Still they should go another direction too. Unless you are CAR/DAL like last year and have the QB established and are playoff bound that is the only time a RB should be taken top 10 or it's a generational talent which Fournette is not due to his obvious weaknesses.

Props to Mack on the sig
jetskid007

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the reasons I wouldn't be shocked if the Jets selected Howard/Njoku in round 1:

1. When Chan Gailey resigned, there were many reports that Bowles wanted his new coordinator to feature the TE. He has since confirmed that vision.
2. We've also heard straight from Maccagnan's mouth that the Jets needed a pass catching TE. He labelled our biggest needs as QB (McCown), LT (Beachum), CB (Claiborne), EDGE, and TE. We haven't picked up the EDGE or the TE yet, and while I don't think they'll reach for one, it wouldn't surprise me if Howard/Njoku are top 15 players on their board.
3. The Jets have spent 8 consecutive 1st round picks on defense, which is an NFL record. In some respects a pick on offense is due.
4. If the Jets really are committed to Hackenberg; they know he works best with TEs. They need to add some juice to the position, and Howard/Njoku are rare talents.

Even if we don't draft a TE in round 1, expect it to happen sooner rather than later. It's a strong position and since the start of the offseason the Jets reportedly have viewed the position as a priority.
GangGreen420

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockice_8 wrote:
GangGreen420 wrote:
Rockice_8 wrote:

Ok just because Ebron didn't work out doesn't mean Howard won't. Plus Ebron is actually starting to figure it out as TE's usually take a year or two to get settled in. In 2-3 years a good chunk of a RBs career is gone compared to a TE just entering theirs. That fits our rebuild way better.

Fournette has durability issues from a heavy college workload, RBs have a much shorter shelf life, he isn't scheme versatile like Howard since there are questions about his hands and pass blocking, and finally the chance of finding a mid round gem is no higher then for the RB position.

I have Adams above Howard so I'm not all Howard or bust but 10 times out of 10 I'm taking Howard over Fournette.

Howard is a 3 down TE. If Fournette had hands like McCaffrey he'd be much higher on my list and worthy of a top 10 pick but I'm sorry no where in my approach to building a team does taking a faster version of Chris Ivory factor in to my plans.

You want to give a young QB a RB that's great I'm not against a good running game but I think a TE is just as good and based on everything I said above I'd go with the elite TE.

Fournette is made for CAR, they have an elite QB and are playoff bound. They are the team that should be taking Fournette. I can see JAC doing it too since they are desperate to win this season with all the money they spent. Still they should go another direction too. Unless you are CAR/DAL like last year and have the QB established and are playoff bound that is the only time a RB should be taken top 10 or it's a generational talent which Fournette is not due to his obvious weaknesses.

If this were an elite WR I would agree with you. But Howard is a TE. If 6 is too high for a RB the same certainly could be said for a TE. If we were picking in the middle of the first I'd take Njoku (or Howard). But not at 6

Has a tight end ever gone higher than 6 in NFL history? (I'm too lazy/busy to google) I know Vernon Davis and Kellen Winslow went 6 but I know both teams would re do that pick if they could. And I'm sorry but if we used the 6th pick on Howard and be turned out to be Ebron that's not a good pick.

Howard is not going to come to the Jets and look like Gronk/Reed with our QB/coaching situation. I'm taking the elite RB prospect (Fournette is just as elite a prospect as Howard) or the elite safety there. The board would have to fall a very certain way for me take him at 6.

I think if they were both on the board Mac would take Fournette.
barnaby8787

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GangGreen420 wrote:
Rockice_8 wrote:
GangGreen420 wrote:
Rockice_8 wrote:

If this were an elite WR I would agree with you. But Howard is a TE. If 6 is too high for a RB the same certainly could be said for a TE. If we were picking in the middle of the first I'd take Njoku (or Howard). But not at 6

Has a tight end ever gone higher than 6 in NFL history? (I'm too lazy/busy to google) I know Vernon Davis and Kellen Winslow went 6 but I know both teams would re do that pick if they could. And I'm sorry but if we used the 6th pick on Howard and be turned out to be Ebron that's not a good pick.

Howard is not going to come to the Jets and look like Gronk/Reed with our QB/coaching situation. I'm taking the elite RB prospect (Fournette is just as elite a prospect as Howard) or the elite safety there. The board would have to fall a very certain way for me take him at 6.

I think if they were both on the board Mac would take Fournette.
That's not necessarily true though. Look at what happened with Jordan Cameron in Cleveland. In the right scheme, a TE can thrive, no matter the QB.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Woody Johnson moving to London to be Ambassador of Britain, what are the chances he takes the Jets with him? How does the name London Jets sound? I know Roger Goodell would love it. Can you imagine watching the Jets 8 AM on a Sunday morning, in foggy rainy Wimberley Stadium, for some people on this board who live in Texas, they will be watching it 7 am.
Please don't take this seriously it is just a little humor to break the pressure of the up coming draft. But you never know.
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doumeyer wrote:
With Woody Johnson moving to London to be Ambassador of Britain, what are the chances he takes the Jets with him? How does the name London Jets sound? I know Roger Goodell would love it. Can you imagine watching the Jets 8 AM on a Sunday morning, in foggy rainy Wimberley Stadium, for some people on this board who live in Texas, they will be watching it 7 am.
Please don't take this seriously it is just a little humor to break the pressure of the up coming draft. But you never know.

If I'm totally honest I think the name change would bother me the most. I don't go to the home games really. I don't really like the stress of going to a game. Everything's so expensive and the at home experience is really nice. Not dealing with traffic and over priced food. Better replays and option for redzone.

I don't really care where the Jets play it would just hurt to lose the "New York" Jets.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doumeyer wrote:

Pretty sure if any team moves to London it will be Jacksonville.
doumeyer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdelaney89 wrote:
doumeyer wrote:

If I'm totally honest I think the name change would bother me the most. I don't go to the home games really. I don't really like the stress of going to a game. Everything's so expensive and the at home experience is really nice. Not dealing with traffic and over priced food. Better replays and option for redzone.

I don't really care where the Jets play it would just hurt to lose the "New York" Jets.

Funny you say that I feel the same except way about going to home games. For year I went all the time, now I hate the hassle.
Bianconero

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doumeyer wrote:
rdelaney89 wrote:
doumeyer wrote:

Funny you say that I feel the same except way about going to home games. For year I went all the time, now I hate the hassle.
Agreed and agreed

I really wish we got that Manhattan Stadium

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bianconero wrote:
doumeyer wrote:
rdelaney89 wrote:
doumeyer wrote:

Agreed and agreed

Oh man, pay $18 just to cross over, then parking, the tickets, food, etc. The NJ stadium is expensive, but NYC makes it a whole nother level. Just look at Knicks prices.

Plus, those home games would be flooded with tourists and away fans.
doumeyer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJerseypaint wrote:
Bianconero wrote:
doumeyer wrote:
rdelaney89 wrote:
doumeyer wrote:

Agreed and agreed

Oh man, pay $18 just to cross over, then parking, the tickets, food, etc. The NJ stadium is expensive, but NYC makes it a whole nother level. Just look at Knicks prices.

Plus, those home games would be flooded with tourists and away fans.

I live in Florida now, but my son in Jersey told how high the prices are just to cross the GW Bridge & Triborough, just to go to a MET game.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 51 of 52

Jump to: