You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jets Offseason Overlook
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 86, 87, 88  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rickyt31

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:
Out of all the QBs, Tyrod makes the most sense.

I just don't see an elite QB with him, and will require elite money if cut.

No one is going to give him elite money. Elite money is around the 100m area now. He's not a elite QB but he's good enough. There is almost no difference between him and Alex Smith. Smith is a Smart decision maker that gives his team a chance or won't blow the game. We need that. He would give a better chance to compete now , make other potential FA's more comfortable about our QB situation knowing we won't just be throwing random people out there, and give us time to develop or find our franchise QB.

All the other QBs either haven't been on the field at all or only have a year or two left in the tank.

I'm talking elite per year money. If Osweiller got 17mill a year, Tyrod will require atleast that.

I consider elite 20m+ a year. I would pay that on a short term deal. We're either going to have to pay up or go blind on a QB. I'd rather get a QB I know that can hold the position down for a 2-3 years . If we can land a good QB who can out perform him, we're in great position. Build around Taylor and when we draft the QB, the team could be ready for him similar to what the Steelers did with Ben his rookie year with Maddox.

Pay that for him and plug in a kill switch in his contract at some point so we're not stuck if we were to find someone else.

JETS . HEAT . ATLANTA UNITED FC . UCLA/GEORGIA STATE .
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:

No one is going to give him elite money. Elite money is around the 100m area now. He's not a elite QB but he's good enough. There is almost no difference between him and Alex Smith. Smith is a Smart decision maker that gives his team a chance or won't blow the game. We need that. He would give a better chance to compete now , make other potential FA's more comfortable about our QB situation knowing we won't just be throwing random people out there, and give us time to develop or find our franchise QB.

All the other QBs either haven't been on the field at all or only have a year or two left in the tank.

I'm talking elite per year money. If Osweiller got 17mill a year, Tyrod will require atleast that.

I consider elite 20m+ a year. I would pay that on a short term deal. We're either going to have to pay up or go blind on a QB. I'd rather get a QB I know that can hold the position down for a 2-3 years . If we can land a good QB who can out perform him, we're in great position. Build around Taylor and when we draft the QB, the team could be ready for him similar to what the Steelers did with Ben his rookie year with Maddox.

Pay that for him and plug in a kill switch in his contract at some point so we're not stuck if we were to find someone else.

I think Tyrod will get close to $20M a year, that's just what QB's are going to go for on the open market. Since we don't really need to pay any young players I'd be down for a 5 year deal the is actually a 3 year deal when said and done. That will give us time to continue to build the team. If we can front load that deal then it's even better.
K-Ro 25

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdelaney89 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:

I think Tyrod will get close to $20M a year, that's just what QB's are going to go for on the open market. Since we don't really need to pay any young players I'd be down for a 5 year deal the is actually a 3 year deal when said and done. That will give us time to continue to build the team. If we can front load that deal then it's even better.

Alex Smith got 68 over 4. I can see us giving Tyrod a near identical contract with most of the guaranteed money in the first two years.
doumeyer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To tell you the truth all these moves are way over my head, I think this would be so much easier if we had a bonafide QB on the roster. Last year the Giants were a disaster, but in the off season they did a fantastic job in the draft & FA market and have a bright future. With this so called weak draft & poor FA market this year, it is going to be tough to do what the Giants did in the off season last year. My big worry is still the Jets QB situation.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doumeyer wrote:
To tell you the truth all these moves are way over my head, I think this would be so much easier if we had a bonafide QB on the roster. Last year the Giants were a disaster, but in the off season they did a fantastic job in the draft & FA market and have a bright future. With this so called weak draft & poor FA market this year, it is going to be tough to do what the Giants did in the off season last year. My big worry is still the Jets QB situation.

You build up the areas around the team and stay the course on trying to draft a franchise QB. Get a LT, secondary, edge rusher, ILB in FA and trade. Then draft talent in the draft. If we have good pieces around a young QB it helps groom them (Dak). So that's the start. The issue I have is that I don't think the FO is ok with doing that and then putting a young guy in like Hack and take some bad games for him to grow. Opportunity is all some guys need. Dak would be in the same situation as Hack this year if the FO didn't opt to play him. They bypassed Sanchez on the depth chart to start dak and he had a great rookie year. This organization expects to win now every year and isn't ok with sticking to the plan of playing Hack even if it means there's bad times. Philly stuck with Wentz when he struggled. LA with Goff. We need to put Hack in and let him figure it out. If nothing else that answers the question that he's not the answer if he's throwing 3 ints every week, but build up around the wb
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
doumeyer wrote:

You build up the areas around the team and stay the course on trying to draft a franchise QB. Get a LT, secondary, edge rusher, ILB in FA and trade. Then draft talent in the draft. If we have good pieces around a young QB it helps groom them (Dak). So that's the start. The issue I have is that I don't think the FO is ok with doing that and then putting a young guy in like Hack and take some bad games for him to grow. Opportunity is all some guys need. Dak would be in the same situation as Hack this year if the FO didn't opt to play him. They bypassed Sanchez on the depth chart to start dak and he had a great rookie year. This organization expects to win now every year and isn't ok with sticking to the plan of playing Hack even if it means there's bad times. Philly stuck with Wentz when he struggled. LA with Goff. We need to put Hack in and let him figure it out. If nothing else that answers the question that he's not the answer if he's throwing 3 ints every week, but build up around the wb

I don't think this management is against playing a young QB at all. They wouldn't have drafted 2 the last 2 years if that were the case. They want to try and groom a QB before throwing him into the fire, considering this is a totally different approach than we've ever taken I'm fully invested in being patient.
doumeyer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdelaney89 wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:
doumeyer wrote:

I don't think this management is against playing a young QB at all. They wouldn't have drafted 2 the last 2 years if that were the case. They want to try and groom a QB before throwing him into the fire, considering this is a totally different approach than we've ever taken I'm fully invested in being patient.

Very true, we have never been in this situation before, and I go back to day one with the Jets. Our defensive is not as bad as people think. But we must rebuild the O line for the young QB's, that is our most important goal.
ISurvivedKotite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an excellent write up/offseason primer.

I don't mind seeing what you have from Hack next year but you MUST bring in another able body to compete with him and Petty, especially since your having him start from scratch with a new OC this offseason. I think the qb who the team chooses to bring in will depend on the oc and the system they install. If they don't believe that Hackenberg can be a franchise qb than Im all for bring in Taylor or Glennon
ISurvivedKotite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and lets not forget its east as fans to say "let hack play next year and rebuild" but the reality for macc/bowles is that if they don't win or at least show marked improvement next year than they are probably out of a job. So I would expect a patchwork plan this offseason with a vet qb next year for that very reason.

It either is going to work and buy them another year or we will see a new regime with probably another qb taken in the first round in 2018. You rarely see rebuilds with 1 regime in todays nfl
rickyt31

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISurvivedKotite wrote:
and lets not forget its east as fans to say "let hack play next year and rebuild" but the reality for macc/bowles is that if they don't win or at least show marked improvement next year than they are probably out of a job. So I would expect a patchwork plan this offseason with a vet qb next year for that very reason.

It either is going to work and buy them another year or we will see a new regime with probably another qb taken in the first round in 2018. You rarely see rebuilds with 1 regime in todays nfl

Agreed. I think just a few releases and trades will be made to free up space, but nothing crazy. If we hire the right OC , I think it will work. We're not far on offense.

JETS . HEAT . ATLANTA UNITED FC . UCLA/GEORGIA STATE .
K-Ro 25

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:
ISurvivedKotite wrote:

Agreed. I think just a few releases and trades will be made to free up space, but nothing crazy. If we hire the right OC , I think it will work. We're not far on offense.

0.0% chance Hack/Petty fight for the job next year. Both the GM and HC are on the hot seat and are trying to fight next year.
Bianconero

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish we could get Jimmy G

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bianconero wrote:
I wish we could get Jimmy G
I wish we could get a QB who could take us to a playoff game.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd call Minnesota and see what they'd ask for Bridgewater. I'd give up a 2nd for him.
glenearl18

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
I'd call Minnesota and see what they'd ask for Bridgewater. I'd give up a 2nd for him.

0 chance they do that unless the injury is career ending, in which case we won't do that. Teddy's overrated as hell but still worthy of a mid 1st.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 86, 87, 88  Next
Page 2 of 88

Jump to: