Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Team Needs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike23md

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Team Needs Reply with quote

If this has been posted before I apologize, but I am trying to get a fan base opinion of the team needs.

Just the top 3 or 4.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, a complete DL player is our biggest need. Doesn't matter whether it's an end or tackle, just someone that can stop the run and put some pressure on QBs. The way our D is set up, I feel that we need to have a dominant DL to help our young playmakers at linebacker. They are not north-south linebackers at this time, so we need our DL to be putting in work at the point of attack.

1. DL
2. FS
3. TE
4. OG

Would be my top 4

devils1854

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.9T Pass Rusher
We have Beasley rushing from the LB spot, but we need a compliment to him. Player needs to be able to play with his hand in the dirt.

2.UT
Jonathan Babineaux is 35 years old, and we need someone that can take his place sooner or later. The player can be depth next year, but he has to be ready to start by 2018.

3.OG
Chris Chester is the weak link in our offensive line, and should be upgraded immediately. Levitre is descent at the LG spot, but he should be upgraded in a year or two as well.

4.FS
Ricardo Allen is a ok player, but he can be upgraded, and he would probably be best as a backup to both safety spots.

After that, its all minor needs. On offense, maybe a 3rd back would be nice. A 3rd TE being Hooper and Toilolo can be handy. More depth behind our two starting tackles is needed. On defense, we need depth behind our three young LB starters, and we could use a 5th corner behind Trufant, Collins, Poole, and Alford.

#JDI
CoachFunk7

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. DL- Someone to take the pressure off Vic and Grady. Preferably a DT as we have little to no depth aside from Shelby.
2. FS- We need a ballhawk. Win the turnover battle, win the game
3. G- Last piece to the OLine.
4. DL- One more lineman for DQ to mold. Whatever wasn't picked in the first round.

89 tackles; 3 sacks; 6 passes defensed
ljm falcons 21

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDL- ideally a player that can collapse the pocket from the inside with Grady but stout against the run. Somehow i feel we missed last years bumper crop of IDL by not drafting one, BUT very happy with how the draft panned out.

FS- Allen isnt an outstanding playmaker so would like someone like Malik Hooker or Marcus Maye.

OG- Chester is old, simple as, ive heard the team is high on schweitzer so i can see him getting a shot next year. But always good to add competition.

LB- loved deion jones pick and also devondre campbell, i think these are the only two LBs under contract after this season, i dont see us resigning all the LBs but maybe one of them comes back, unsure of who though, weatherspoon looked ok when he wasnt injured and he brings great leadership but how does he get injured so often.

Backup QB- Schaub is 35 who we may not resign but getting a younger QB is beneficial incase the worst happens.

Also devils1854, i would be interested to see how many times this year beasley has rushed from the LB spot and how many times he has rushed with his hand in the dirt. I know against Green bay he played spy a lot but i honestly cant remember him being stood up much, i might be wrong and i just cant remember due to heavy drinking and the stress of watching the falcons
FalconFan13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much a consensus of these 4 is what you are going to get my friend.

Free Safety - centerfield zone style

Edge Rusher - Someone to help Beasley get after the QB.

DT - We need a big nasty in the middle as i don't think we bring back most of our DT's. Maybe 1 of Hageman, Jackson, or Babs comes back or none? Grady Jarrett is probably the only legit one we have right now.

RG - Chris Chesters time has about run it's course at his age he has done well but it's time to get younger at RG and finish this O-line off for the next 5 or so years the rest of ryans Prime.

In the later rounds for depth and quality i would look at a

Power Running back like 225 or 230+ with some huge upside for goal line and short yardage situations.

Lb Depth would be nice to have to if we don't bring all the old vets back.
freeman+coleman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whichever player is going to make the most impact in the first round out of DE, DT and FS.

OG in rounds 3-4.

BPA 5-7
ljm falcons 21

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt want to put a new thread up so will add this in here.
Jackson is going to get cut in the offseason due to money but also due to this

''Jackson's 3.1 run-stop percentage ranks 73rd out of 75 defensive tackles. He had five stops on 160 run snaps.''

and this is about wheeler

''Wheeler's 2.8 tackle efficiency rating in the passing game ranks 33rd out of 34 qualified 4-3 outside linebackers. Wheeler has made six tackles while missing on five in pass defense.''

Unfortunately the worst graded player on the 53 man roster is Babs but i think we all know that he is done now so not going to post up his grade.
GSUeagles14

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ljm falcons 21 wrote:

''Jackson's 3.1 run-stop percentage ranks 73rd out of 75 defensive tackles. He had five stops on 160 run snaps.''

''Wheeler's 2.8 tackle efficiency rating in the passing game ranks 33rd out of 34 qualified 4-3 outside linebackers. Wheeler has made six tackles while missing on five in pass defense.''

Unfortunately the worst graded player on the 53 man roster is Babs but i think we all know that he is done now so not going to post up his grade.

could you please provide a link if youre going to post stats like that?
Jgoldiscool

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. DE | Someone who can stick his hand in the dirt and can free up pressure from Beasley.
2. DL | Someone to eventually pair up with Grady Jarrett in a year.
3. FS | I think getting a true cover safety would help out Neal a lot. Let Neal play more aggressive and closer to the LOS
4. G | Considering the offensive as a whole is playing great a 34 year old, ok guard def could use an upgrade.
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do tiers for needs based on the current guys under contract for 2017 and the likely easy re-signs (ERFA and RFA coming back):
QB Matt Ryan
RBs Devonta Freeman, Tevin Coleman, Terron Ward
WR Julio Jones, Mohamed Sanu, Justin Hardy, Taylor Gabriel (RFA), Devin Fuller, Nick Williams (ERFA), Anthony Dable
TE Austin Hooper, Joshua Perkins, D.J. Tialavea ERFA
OT Jake Matthews, Ryan Schraeder
OG Andy Levitre, Wes Schweitzer
C Alex Mack, Ben Garland ERFA
DL Ra'Shede Hageman, Grady Jarrett, Adrian Clayborn, Tyson Jackson, Derrick Shelby, Chris Mayes
EDGE Vic Beasley, Brooks Reed, Tyler Starr (ERFA)
LB Deion Jones, De'Vondre Campbell, Josh Keyes (ERFA)
CB Desmond Trufant, Robert Alford, Jalen Collins, Brian Poole, C.J. Goodwin, Deji Olatoye (ERFA), Akeem King (ERFA)
S Keanu Neal, Ricardo Allen (ERFA), Sharrod Neasman

K Matt Bryant
P Matt Bosher
LS Josh Harris

Tier 1 - Vital Needs for Starting Caliber Players
Right Guard: Chris Chester is 34 and has been bad at pass protection for a while. The Falcons will likely continue to play zone schemes and could go out and sign a guy like Kevin Zeitler or Ronald Leary to start at RG, but this could also be a first round guy like Dan Feeney or a 2nd round guy like Forrest Lamp.
Edge Defender: Someone who can play the LEO in base and RDE in nickel. A quick, strong pass rusher built in the mold of a Cliff Avril or a Khalil Mack would be ideal. However, someone built like a JPP or a John Abraham would be fine too.
Defensive Lineman: Someone who can play a base DE role of a 5/6T at SDE but then slide inside to the 3T in nickel situations the way Michael Bennett or Richard Seymour used to do would be perfect here.
Defensive Tackle: Someone who can play the 1T and the 3T in rotation. Babineaux will be retiring after this season and the Falcons could really use someone to replace him in rotation as a true DT. Johnathan Hankins in FA or a bigger body like Dontari Poe would be fun for this role.

Tier 2 - Potential Upgrades or Rotational Enhancements
Tight End: While Austin Hooper has been great this year, his best role might be as the No. 2 TE similar to what Aaron Hernandez played. Going out and getting a guy like O.J. Howard or even Jordan Leggett in the 1st or 2nd round would be a fine upgrade depending on the talent brought in through FA.
Strong-side Linebacker: Vic Beasley is a very talented pass rusher, but he hasn't been able to fully get the SLB position in the defense. That's OK. He's a better LEO anyway. The Falcons need to get a guy who can play SLB or even potentially upgrade Campbell at WLB. Someone like Zack Cunningham could be a dark horse for the 1st round pick.
Free Safety: Ricardo Allen has been a solid starting free safety, but he could be improved upon athletically. Unless the Falcons can get a potential generational prospect at the position, they may just be better off giving Allen a long-term deal.

Tier 3 - Depth Needs or potential unexpected retirement needs
Quarterback: Matt Ryan needs a good backup that can pick up the scheme well and perform admirably in a west-coast offense. Taking a guy in the late rounds makes sense.
Running Back: Freeman is a Pro Bowler and Coleman is a beast in his own right. Ward leaves something to be desired though and is regularly inactive. Ideally, the Falcons get a third RB who can also return kicks and punts and play ST like Antone Smith used to.
Offensive Tackle and Center: Jake Matthews, Alex Mack and Ryan Schraeder are some of the better starters in the NFL at their positions. However, bringing in someone who can provide solid depth behind them is always a good idea.
Linebacker: Outside of a potential starting strong-side linebacker, the Falcons do need to bring in depth behind Deion Jones and De'Vondre Campbell. Both saw injuries this year and may need to have some solid depth behind them that can be just as fast and physical.
Safety: Even if the Falcons do upgrade upon Ricardo Allen and use Allen as depth, having someone to compete with Sharrod Neasman or a potentially re-signed Kemal Ishmael is a great plan to work forward with.
Kicker: Matt Bryant is 41 years old. And he could potentially be the ideal retirement candidate to go out on top if the Falcons win the Super Bowl. If he does retire, kicker becomes a vital need.

Tier 4 - Not Needs At All. UDFAs only for camp filler needed
Wide Receiver: With Julio Jones, Mohamed Sanu, Justin Hardy, Taylor Gabriel, Devin Fuller, Nick Williams (ERFA), and Anthony Dable, there just isn't the need here for a draft pick at WR or even a signing at WR. Maybe re-sign Robinson, but that'd be it.
Cornerback: With Desmond Trufant, Robert Alford, Jalen Collins, Brian Poole, C.J. Goodwin, Deji Olatoye, and Akeem King all under contract, there's really not a need here outside of maybe a camp body.
Punter and Long Snapper: Bosher and Harris have those spots on lock-down

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey gsu eagles 14 it was on espn but it is an insider article and mine has run out now and im not renewing as im skint.
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ljm falcons 21 wrote:

I think it's obvious the Falcons are going to try and replace both guys this offseason. Have to wonder if HAgeman is the guy who replaces Jackson based on his play as of late.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your tier's Scar988. It's kinda funny that back in the days with Smith I'd feel like spending a first round pick on anything other our greatest need would be dumb. Seeing as how this regime finds talents in pretty much every round I have complete trust that they'll go into the draft with a good plan. If that means FS or TE in the first round I'm completely okay with that. Only thing I don't really want to see in the first three rounds is CB or WR.
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DutchFalcon wrote:
I agree with your tier's Scar988. It's kinda funny that back in the days with Smith I'd feel like spending a first round pick on anything other our greatest need would be dumb. Seeing as how this regime finds talents in pretty much every round I have complete trust that they'll go into the draft with a good plan. If that means FS or TE in the first round I'm completely okay with that. Only thing I don't really want to see in the first three rounds is CB or WR.
I don't think they go CB or WR at all unless the CB or WR can be a badass KR or potential FS convert (see adoree jackson as potential FS)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Atlanta Falcons All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: