Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

This Ain't Vikings Talk II - MN Sports Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
rpmwr19


Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 35760
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're correct GW

@JoeCStrib
Source: P.J. Fleck to hire Western Michigan's Kirk Ciarrocca as #Gophers offensive coordinator.
_________________

2017 Aggregate Draft Board
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gopherwrestler


Joined: 20 Jan 2014
Posts: 5571
Location: 'Sota
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
You're correct GW

@JoeCStrib
Source: P.J. Fleck to hire Western Michigan's Kirk Ciarrocca as #Gophers offensive coordinator.


I read somewhere they had a really "tight bond" and I can't find the story back.

He will bring a fairly balance spread offense.

2016:
41.6 ppg (9th)
Rushing: 643 attempts, 3194 yards, 36 TD's, 252.4 yards/game (24th)
Passing: 263 Rec, 3533 yards, 33 TD's, 228.9 yards/game (49th)
_________________

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Moderator
Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 13150
Location: Marshall
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at this list of longest-tenured major Minnesota coaches (four major pro sports, plus Gophers football and basketball):

Richard Pitino, 34 (hired April 3, 2013)
Mike Zimmer, 60 (hired January 15, 2014)
Paul Molitor, 60 (hired November 4, 2014)
Tom Thibodeau, 58 (hired April 20, 2016)
Bruce Boudreau, 62 (hired May 7, 2016)
PJ Fleck, 36 (hired January 6, 2017)

First of all, it's crazy that Pitino has been in town the longest. Second, quite a contrast between the pro teams hiring old guys and the university going young with these two hires.

(post inspired by Jim Souhan column)
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heimdallr


Moderator
Joined: 24 Jan 2014
Posts: 10499
Location: Himinbjörg
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget Adrian Heath, 55
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Moderator
Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 13150
Location: Marshall
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heimdallr wrote:
Don't forget Adrian Heath, 55

read inside the parentheses in the first line
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heimdallr


Moderator
Joined: 24 Jan 2014
Posts: 10499
Location: Himinbjörg
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
Heimdallr wrote:
Don't forget Adrian Heath, 55

read inside the parentheses in the first line

MLS averages higher attendance than both the NBA and NHL.

MN United will have much higher attendance than the Wolves now that they are in MLS. Probably more marketing, and definitely more fan support too.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
disaacs


Joined: 13 Dec 2005
Posts: 28530
Location: Brownbackistan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heimdallr wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Heimdallr wrote:
Don't forget Adrian Heath, 55

read inside the parentheses in the first line

MLS averages higher attendance than both the NBA and NHL.

MN United will have much higher attendance than the Wolves now that they are in MLS. Probably more marketing, and definitely more fan support too.


I would be extremely surprised to see that happen. Even here in KC, without either a NBA or NHL team, they still draw no more than a NBA or NHL team...and Minnesota isn't even as good a soccer market as KC is.
_________________


Thx to Lil Uno!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Heimdallr


Moderator
Joined: 24 Jan 2014
Posts: 10499
Location: Himinbjörg
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Heimdallr wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Heimdallr wrote:
Don't forget Adrian Heath, 55

read inside the parentheses in the first line

MLS averages higher attendance than both the NBA and NHL.

MN United will have much higher attendance than the Wolves now that they are in MLS. Probably more marketing, and definitely more fan support too.


I would be extremely surprised to see that happen. Even here in KC, without either a NBA or NHL team, they still draw no more than a NBA or NHL team...and Minnesota isn't even as good a soccer market as KC is.

The average attendance for the Wolves has been ~14,500 for the last 3 seasons. In their best seasons sometimes they average close to 18,000 but most of the time they are in the 15,000-16,000 range.

The Wild have a max capacity of 18,000 so that is where they top out. I assume their average attendance is pretty close to that.

United have over 11,000 season tickets sold so far and a capacity of about 27,000 at TCF. Once the new stadium is built it will have a capacity of roughly 22,000 and should sell out almost every game. Even in previous years when they were playing up in Blaine in a Div-2 league they were drawing about 9,000 per game. The ownership group for United includes Bill McGuire (billionaire), the Pohlad family (Twins), Glen Taylor (Wolves) and Glen Nelson (Wild). Lots of heavy hitters who know how to sell a team.

MLS is easily the fastest growing top-level league in the world, and given the waning interest in basketball and baseball in the US, and the global appeal of soccer, don't be surprised if MLS is one of the dominant US sports within the next decade. Even more so in Minnesota where soccer is huge with the younger generations and at the youth level.

The first couple of years might be a bit slower because they are an expansion team and playing at TCF, but once they are established and playing at their new stadium right between Minneapolis and St. Paul they are going to be big draw.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
disaacs


Joined: 13 Dec 2005
Posts: 28530
Location: Brownbackistan
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be interesting to watch and see if that happens. I'm certainly a skeptic, since I've seen soccer fail there twice before.

You are right that the younger generation has a different outlook than what I was raised on...and there's absolutely nothing that will ever get me to have more than a passing interest, because to me, it's extremely boring to watch (I never minded playing it though), even to the level of a baseball game nowadays.

I will likely attend a game here in KC when the United comes just for the fancy of it, but that's probably the only time I will.
_________________


Thx to Lil Uno!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
TENINCH


Joined: 29 Apr 2014
Posts: 6562
Location: ATL
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
It'll be interesting to watch and see if that happens. I'm certainly a skeptic, since I've seen soccer fail there twice before.

You are right that the younger generation has a different outlook than what I was raised on...and there's absolutely nothing that will ever get me to have more than a passing interest, because to me, it's extremely boring to watch (I never minded playing it though), even to the level of a baseball game nowadays.

I will likely attend a game here in KC when the United comes just for the fancy of it, but that's probably the only time I will.


When I was growing up in Minnesota I couldn't have explained a single thing about soccer. Kids just didn't play it. When I moved to Florida during junior high I was blown away that the school I went to actually had a soccer team.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gopherwrestler


Joined: 20 Jan 2014
Posts: 5571
Location: 'Sota
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeChristensen ‏@JoeCStrib

#Gophers source confirms that Western Michigan's Matt Simon, Brian Callahan and Rob Wenger are joining P.J. Fleck's staff at Minnesota.


Matt Simon - WR Coach at WMU
Brian Callahan - OL Coach at WMU
Rob Wenger - Special Teams Coordinator WMU

Assume Simon and Wenger stay at the same positions. Callahan was named 2016 OL Coach Of The Year by Football Scoop. Our offensive line should improve with him and Warinner.

Rumor: NIU DBs Coach Melvin Rice and MN LB Coach Mike Sherels will both sign at their current positions also.



Current Coaching Staff

HC: P.J. Fleck
OC: Kirk Ciarrocca
WR: Matt Simon
OL: Ed Warinner
OL/TE: Brian Callahan
DC: Robb Smith
ST: Rob Wenger

Recruiting Coordinator: Gerrit Chernoff
_________________

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heimdallr


Moderator
Joined: 24 Jan 2014
Posts: 10499
Location: Himinbjörg
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone was thinking of going to a United game, here is the home schedule:

12-Mar - Sunday - 4:00 - Atlanta United
1-Apr - Saturday - 7:00 - Real Salt Lake
23-Apr - Sunday - 5:00 - Colorado Rapids
29-Apr - Saturday - 7:00 - San Jose Earthquakes
7-May - Sunday - 12:30 - Sporting Kansas City
21-May - Sunday - 4:00 - LA Galaxy
27-May - Saturday - 7:00 - Orlando City
21-Jun - Wednesday - 7:00 - Portland Timbers
24-Jun - Saturday - TBD - Vancouver Whitecaps
4-Jul - Tuesday - 6:00 - Columbus Crew
19-Jul - Wednesday - 7:00 - Houston Dynamo
22-Jul - Saturday - 3:00 - New York Red Bulls
29-Jul - Saturday - 7:00 - D.C. United
5-Aug - Saturday - 7:00 - Seattle Sounders
9-Sep - Saturday - 7:00 - Philadelphia Union
23-Sep - Saturday - 7:00 - FC Dallas
7-Oct - Saturday - 7:00 - Sporting Kansas City
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Gnat


Moderator
Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 39231
Location: Minneapolis
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I saw that they had released the schedule. I'll have to plan a time to make it to a game.

Also, the Wild were 8.5 seconds away from having a 7-0 shutout. I'll take 7-1 against a good team, even with that team on the tail end of a back to back. The Canadians did save their better goal tender to face us and clearly it did not go well.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
The Gnat


Moderator
Joined: 23 Feb 2005
Posts: 39231
Location: Minneapolis
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MLS Superdraft is happening today. MNUFC has the first overall pick as an expansion team (and because they had the second pick in the expansion draft). There is likely a forward from Duke who will be picked first. Or if not him, likely a forward from UCLA.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heimdallr


Moderator
Joined: 24 Jan 2014
Posts: 10499
Location: Himinbjörg
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnat wrote:
MLS Superdraft is happening today. MNUFC has the first overall pick as an expansion team (and because they had the second pick in the expansion draft). There is likely a forward from Duke who will be picked first. Or if not him, likely a forward from UCLA.

It'll be pretty shocking if we don't take Jeremy Ebobisse.

I'm just hoping we also are able to trade up and get Jackson Yueill (from MN)
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 4 of 41

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group