Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

A Mock I like for the Bears ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IotaNet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: A Mock I like for the Bears ... Reply with quote

I don't want to run afoul of the rules for linking to outside websites so I'll just paste the text here. I didn't create this mock but I ran across it on the interwebs and I like it a great deal. This makes sense to me for the team going forward. It assumes a couple of trades that seem reasonable so I didn't discount them out of hand.

Round 1, pick 3: Jonathan Allen, Defensive Line, Alabama
If Myles Garrett goes first to the Browns and the 49ers pass on Allen to avoid redundancy up front with their previous two first-round picks, the Bears should be ecstatic to have Allen fall into their lap. Quarterback is obviously going to be a consideration (for all three top teams) but the talent available doesnít match the value Allen would bring for Chicago. He is a big-time pass rusher who could line up as a 3-4 end or 4-3 defensive tackle to get after the quarterback from the edge or the inside. With tremendous size, he should be able to quickly develop into an excellent run defender as well.

Round 2, pick 36: Jourdan Lewis, Cornerback, Michigan
With a glut of tall, physical cornerbacks slated to be chosen in Round 1, arguably the best corner in college football should be available in Round 2. Lewis isnít quite as physically imposing as the guys from Florida and Ohio State or Marlon Humphrey, but he was a blanket for Michigan who was rarely beaten in coverage. He is a sure tackler, and his athleticism brings additional value covering slot receivers and in the return game.

Round 3, pick 67: Brad Kaaya, Quarterback, Miami (I admit that this is questionable -- will Kaaya fall this far?)
It was a disappointing season for Kaaya in 2016, as he came into the season fighting with Deshaun Watson for pole position to be the first quarterback taken. Watsonís stock has taken a bit of a hit, but Kaaya has completely left the picture. He picked up bad habits behind a weak offensive line in Miami and needs to rebuild his mechanics. On the other hand, he has physical tools necessary to make it worth a coaching staffís time to develop him, and he has been lauded for his coachability and football intelligence. John Fox may be on the hot seat, but Kaaya in Round 3 is much more his speed than reaching for a more volatile passer early.

Round 4, pick 109: Roderick Johnson, Offensive Tackle, Florida State
The Bears being desperate to find help along the offensive line was a recurring theme of the Jay Cutler era. While the additions of Kyle Long and Cody Whitehair have quieted those concerns, adding a tackle of Johnsonís pedigree could continue to strengthen that improving aspect of the roster. Johnson had struggled in pass protection for Florida State but proved to be a good run blocker on the left side for Dalvin Cook. He may ultimately end up as a swing tackle at the NFL level but could find a home in Chicago, especially as they build the interior of the line into a real strength.

Round 4, pick 115 (from BUF): Marcus Maye, Safety, Florida
One of the biggest needs for the Bears is adding a safety capable of playing near the line of scrimmage. Players like Jamal Adams could be in play at No. 3 and Budda Baker should be considered if he falls to the Bears in Round 2, but a deep class could give them a chance to grab a player like Maye in the middle rounds. Maye was protected in coverage among a loaded Florida secondary the past two seasons, when he could have been on the field with four first-round picks at times in 2015 (Vernon Hargreaves and Keanu Neal in the 2016 NFL Draft, potentially Jalen Tabor and Quincy Wilson this year). However, he was able to stand out and make big plays, both in coverage but also creeping up into the box.

Round 5, pick 148: Travin Dural, WR, LSU
Although the Bears could keep Alshon Jeffrey and finally get a healthy Kevin White back, the front office would be remiss to fail to add a receiver through the draft after some low moments from the position group in 2016. Dural presents a high-upside lottery ticket, with elite physical skills and little production to show for it. The senior suffered in an LSU offense that struggled mightily to throw the ball, and while he and his teammate Malachi Dupre dropped too many passes considering the few catchable passes thrown their way, both made some fantastic catches to bail out their quarterbacks as well. Without an answer at quarterback, those skills might prove useful for the Bears.

Round 6, pick 188: Traded to Texans for Khari Lee

Round 7, pick 223: Taylor McNamara, Tight End, USC
McNamara is a 6-foot-5, 250-pound pass catcher who came highly recruited to Oklahoma before transferring to USC. He became a Trojan to some fanfare but wasnít very productive during his career, needing his single catch as a Sooner to bring him to 25 for his career and failing to reach 200 yards as a collegiate player. He did turn five of those catches into touchdowns, including four out of his 12 catches in 2015. If he turns into a capable blocker, the Bears could use him as a second tight end with some upside as a red zone target as well.
topwop1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could dig this. Though I think Kaaya goes no later than the second.
gah112

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Lewis, but I'm not sure the Bears need both him and Callahan.

Overall I like it a lot.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaaya does less and less for me every time I watch him.

We need a safety at the too of the 2nd round worse than we need a CB.

Give me Webb or Mahomes over Kaaya.
bearsfan323

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually don't see Johnson or Maye falling that far but I do see Kaaya as being available in the 3rd or 4th.

I do like it though.0
pigsooie5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gah112 wrote:

Overall I like it a lot.

Jourdan Lewis is on a complete other level than Bryce Callahan. He has a chance of being the best pro CB in this draft class. If he was 6'1" 200lb he'd be a top 10 pick.

BEARS----BULLS----DODGERS----KINGS--
bearsfan323

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

He may be anticipating an influx of secondary help in FA, which IMO we all should be expecting.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just isn't realistic...rounds 3 and 4 won't happen.
IotaNet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bearsfan323 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

He may be anticipating an influx of secondary help in FA, which IMO we all should be expecting.
Dunno if I'm expecting it but hope springs eternal. We surely need it and we can't get it all from the draft.
gah112

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pigsooie5 wrote:
gah112 wrote:

Overall I like it a lot.

Jourdan Lewis is on a complete other level than Bryce Callahan. He has a chance of being the best pro CB in this draft class. If he was 6'1" 200lb he'd be a top 10 pick.

He's not 6'1" though and that is going to limit where he lines up in the NFL. He probably won't be able to handle full-time duty as an outside CB.

I'm a huge fan and think he compares to someone like Jason Verrett, but I'm not sure the Bears should pick him over some of the other CBs in this class who can play outside.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: