You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Which free agents should we keep?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iowa Birdgang

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Which free agents should we keep? Reply with quote

Here are all our free agents from overthecap.com. Who shpuld we keep and should should go? We have 40.25 million cap space.

Calais Campbell
Evan Mathis
Jermaine Gresham
Chandler Jones
Frostee Rucker
DJ Swearinger
Jaron Brown
Tony Jefferson
Chris Johnson
Kevin Minter
Mike Jenkin
AQ Shipley
Jeremy Ross
Taylor Boggs
Sio Moore
Alex Okafor
Earl Watford
Darren Fells
Josh Mauro
Brian Dixon
Stepfan Taylor
Andre Ellington
Marcus Cooper
Zac Dysert
Chandler Catanzaro
Olsen Pierre
John Wetzel
Gabe Martin
CardsNCats

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Which free agents should we keep? Reply with quote

Iowa Birdgang wrote:
Here are all our free agents from overthecap.com. Who shpuld we keep and should should go? We have 40.25 million cap space.

Calais Campbell-KEEP
Evan MathiS-He retired
Jermaine Gresham-Keep
Chandler Jones -KEEP
Frostee Rucker-I want to keep him but he will go
DJ Swearinger-KEEP
Jaron Brown-KEEP
Tony Jefferson-KEEP
Chris Johnson-He can go
Kevin Minter-Kee9
Mike Jenkins-Go
AQ Shipley-We can keep i guess
Jeremy Ross-Keep
Taylor Boggs-Keep
Sio Moore-Keep
Alex Okafor-Keep
Earl Watford-He can go
Darren Fells-I like him, keep
Josh Mauro-Keep
Brian Dixon-Go
Stepfan Taylor-Keep
Andre Ellington-Keep i guess
Marcus Cooper-Keep
Zac Dysert-Keep
Chandler Catanzaro-GO
Olsen Pierre-Keep
John Wetzel-Keep
Gabe Martin-Keep
Iowa Birdgang

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can't keep Jefferson and Swearinger, only 1.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iowa Birdgang wrote:

Also extremely doubtful that we keep both Chandler Jones and Calais Campbell. And we have already said that we are bringing back Chandler regardless. I am afraid that we have probably see the last of Calais in a Cardinals uniform

#JDI
Cards_FTW

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Which free agents should we keep? Reply with quote

Iowa Birdgang wrote:

Calais Campbell - Unlikely we can fit him in. Hometown discount would have to be significant.
Evan Mathis - Retired
Jermaine Gresham - Sacrificed to return last year, probably won't do it again. Clearly the best TE on our roster, but not saying much. Comes down to $$/term and what we can do elsewhere.
Chandler Jones - Franchised or LTC. Going to be a large hit.
Frostee Rucker - At his age wanting to return means hes probably back. Don't think he'd have a large market though he's a quality player.
DJ Swearinger - After Calais/Jones this is the next guy I'd talk to. Try to get something done before free agency. Can play either safety role in our defense, hits bring energy.
Jaron Brown - Already extended. Interesting to see how he comes back after ACL.
Tony Jefferson - Probably can't fit him in. May be bitter after last year's RFA tender. Now he's a UFA and money talks. At his age he's looking at a big payday IMO.
Chris Johnson - No issue giving him another year, no issue if he wants something else.
Kevin Minter - Nothing I fear more than paying him a significant amount. Fine in his role but easily replaceable. Depends on the $$ for me, if its significant he's got to go. Less important than Gresham.
Mike Jenkins - Probably has limited options, if he's back a roster spot would be far from a guarantee.
AQ Shipley - If he's cheap I think its an easy re-sign. Need an experienced center on the roster, regardless if Boehm is starting.
Jeremy Ross - Don't care, dime-a-dozen player.
Taylor Boggs - See above.
Sio Moore - Unless there's a role on defense for him he's not worth keeping given his history. Could use him on sub-packages at LB, but Buc is getting his job back and Moore can't replace Minter.
Alex Okafor - Think he wants a change of scenery. Looked good this year, I had written him off.
Earl Watford - I'd imagine we want to look at other RGs and Watford wants to see what the market says. Could come full circle, but ideally we find someone better.
Darren Fells - RFA, lowest tender we can is fine. Depth TE who's easily replaceable, should not be our #1 if Gresham leaves but might end up it by default.
Josh Mauro - RFA, nice depth player.
Brian Dixon - Who? Don't care.
Stepfan Taylor - Good ST and reliable in what he can do in the backfield(catch, block, not fumble). Doesn't get touches, might want to see if he can get elsewhere.
Andre Ellington - Needs a change of scenery.
Marcus Cooper - Depends on $$. Can play alot of different roles in the secondary but he's not necessarily good at them.
Zac Dysert - RFA, camp body at worst.
Chandler Catanzaro - RFA, maybe competition is needed but I think he is the favorite.
Olsen Pierre - RFA, kept on the roster all year, hopefully for a reason since he never played a snap.
John Wetzel - RFA, 4 position depth on the OL is valuable for his $$.
Gabe Martin - RFA, camp body at worst.

3 potential cuts for notably more cap-space would be Bethel, Branch, and Washington. Need some DBs signed before we consider releasing Bethel/Branch though.

Think that defense is going to look much different, there's alot of significant contributors hitting free agency, and it was one of the better units in the league.
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckyNumber11 wrote:
Iowa Birdgang wrote:

Also extremely doubtful that we keep both Chandler Jones and Calais Campbell. And we have already said that we are bringing back Chandler regardless. I am afraid that we have probably see the last of Calais in a Cardinals uniform

There's a lot of moving parts I'm still trying to work through personally but unless someone takes a massive discount to stick around, what I know for certain is that it's not possible for us to keep all 4 of the aforementioned players. At least one if not two of them would need to come in WELL (And I mean WELL!!!) under market value for that to even be a remote possibility.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
LuckyNumber11 wrote:
Iowa Birdgang wrote:

There's a lot of moving parts I'm still trying to work through personally but unless someone takes a massive discount to stick around, what I know for certain is that it's not possible for us to keep all 4 of the aforementioned players. At least one if not two of them would need to come in WELL (And I mean WELL!!!) under market value for that to even be a remote possibility.

This is why I'm looking forward to doing the mock that I am currently signed up for. I wanna see if it's even possible for us to retain the majority of them.

And honestly Tony Jefferson is the last of the 4 that I think should be brought back, which is insane after the year he just had

#JDI
stchamp98

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LuckyNumber11 wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
LuckyNumber11 wrote:
Iowa Birdgang wrote:

This is why I'm looking forward to doing the mock that I am currently signed up for. I wanna see if it's even possible for us to retain the majority of them.

And honestly Tony Jefferson is the last of the 4 that I think should be brought back, which is insane after the year he just had

It's not possible by any logical means.

I go back and forth but I LOVED DJ Swearinger as a prospect, so my bias is evident.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
LuckyNumber11 wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
LuckyNumber11 wrote:
Iowa Birdgang wrote:

It's not possible by any logical means.

I go back and forth but I LOVED DJ Swearinger as a prospect, so my bias is evident.

The thing about it is, I remember loving Swearinger too, but I also remember being pissed when we didn't draft Tony Jefferson in like the 6th round and being very excited about when we picked him up as a UDFA. So these were both prospects that I liked a lot.

I just think that Jefferson's role in the defense was not as important as Swearinger's. Swearinger played the tough guy in coverage role, whereas Jefferson played a dollar backer role, which I hope that Bucanon bounces back in. Granted both players were vital to the defense's success last year so we take a hit no matter which one we lose.

I also think that Swearinger's dollar figure may be a tad bit lower than Jefferson's as well. That plays a part in my thinking as well

#JDI
stchamp98

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Round Three

Selection: Dayario Jamal Swearinger, Safety University of South Carolina

Explanation: My favorite player in the 2013 draft class. I love the kid, plain and simple. Easily described in two words: FOOTBALL PLAYER. If he was 6’1”, 210 and ran in the high 4.4s/low 4.5s he’d be a top 10 NFL Draft pick but he’s not and he (Reportedly) doesn’t. The South Carolina team site lists him at 6’0” but there are whispers he’ll be closer to 5’10” and most analysts predict his 40 time in the high 4.5s/low 4.6s. Guess who doesn’t care? This guy. What is it Ray Horton said, big guys who can run and small guys who can hit? DJ Swearinger is the poster child for small guys who can hit. Arguably the most physical defensive back in the country will highlight reel hits left and right but unlike a lot of guys who hit hard, Swearinger can actually tackle. Phenomenal tackler, truly top notch. Legitimate playmaker that’s constantly around the football. Made over 30 college starts in the powerhouse Southeastern Conference, including double digit starts at both free and strong safety, and felt right at home. Lead the team in special teams tackles as a freshman. Safety’s a serious problem here. Kerry Rhodes and Adrian Wilson will both be 31+ years of age when the 2013 season begins. Kerry will be an unrestricted free agent after that season and Adrian appears to be slowly being phased out of the defense. How much longer he’ll last is anyone’s guess. Rashad Johnson and James Sanders are nothing but spot snap players and both are unrestricted free agents this offseason. Justin Bethel seems to be transitioning more towards cornerback than safety. There are serious issues at this position for this franchise but more than anything, Swearinger is simply everything I want in a player besides the measurables, which are the reason he falls to this spot. If he runs in the 4.6s, a lot of analysts think he’ll still be on the board in the 4th or 5th rounds but I don’t believe it. The kid’s simply too good when the pads are on. If he gets to this spot due to the concerns that the combine will likely bring up, I don’t even hesitate. I RUN to the podium to turn in the card that says “DJ Swearinger”

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=506659

That's what I thought of DJ 3+ years ago. I'm not impartial on this debate, I'll leave it to those who are.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God I forgot about Kerry Rhodes. He was honestly such a good player. I'll never understand how he just disappeared

#JDI
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If/when Calais is let go we just keep a hold of Rucker and we need to get the most from Josh Mauro.

I've long held a lot of respect for our defensive line rotation, but IMO Calais was always the cog that held it all together.

We still have bodies there. Peters, Gunter, Mauro, Nkemdiche we just need to get them playing well.

Sidenote: the drafting of Nkemdiche also points to a long term AZ trend of preparing for the future a year early, so a player has a year in the system before needing to start.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
Sidenote: the drafting of Nkemdiche also points to a long term AZ trend of preparing for the future a year early, so a player has a year in the system before needing to start.

This is two years in a row we have done this as well. Not really sure that we will do it this year. Doesn't look like we will lose much come 2018. But maybe we go LB because of Deone Bucanon. That player would likely play this year though with Jefferson and Minter potentially both leaving. (In other words) Reuben Foster is likely in play at 13

#JDI
CardsNCats

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad we kept Mauro. Now for the rest of them.
Cardsfan1121

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its possible we resign Jones, Campbell, Jefferson, Gresham and Swearinger. I believe Calais just wants a fair deal (not break the bank), same for gresham. These are honestly the only 5 guys i want back (possibly Minter). Everyone else on this FA list is replacable.

I dont expect Rucker, C. Johnson, Ellington, Shipley, Minter back in az

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: