Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 RB Thread v2.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiefer wrote:
CalhounLambeau wrote:
VanS wrote:
Why is there little to no talk about James Conner?

Why do people always have to pose the question of why one prospect out of a group of hundreds of prospects isn't being discussed at any given moment.
hed likely be a top RB prospect if he didn't get cancer.

At the end of the day regardless of cancer he is a 4.65 runner at 233 pounds, has a torn MCL in his history, runs upright and takes tons of body blows. He would probably be considered in the 3rd round without cancer. Right now he's considered in the 4th/5th round around the league.
DraftHobbyist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:
Chiefer wrote:
CalhounLambeau wrote:
VanS wrote:

Why do people always have to pose the question of why one prospect out of a group of hundreds of prospects isn't being discussed at any given moment.

At the end of the day regardless of cancer he is a 4.65 runner at 233 pounds, has a torn MCL in his history, runs upright and takes tons of body blows. He would probably be considered in the 3rd round without cancer. Right now he's considered in the 4th/5th round around the league.

Which teams have him in the 4th/5th?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:
VanS wrote:

Because when you have hundreds of prospects some get lost in the mix. If there were only 10 prospects each one would be talked about extensively and nobody would ask.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeithVikings28 wrote:
What do you guys think of Matt Breida from Georgia Southern?
Undersized but he's a really good athlete. He really fell off this year though. Injury issues. His pro day numbers are pretty damn good though: 4.39 40, 6.85 3 cone, 11-2 broad, 42 vert, 23 bench at 5092 195.
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DraftHobbyist wrote:
CalhounLambeau wrote:
VanS wrote:

Because when you have hundreds of prospects some get lost in the mix.

Every mainstream draft prospect has been discussed here over and over. Nobody has gotten lost. We talk about players in intervals. Coming into this forum and complaining, "why is nobody talking about this guy"...you're picking a small moment in time when there are hundreds of players to be discussed. Anyone can search James Conner on the main forum search and see he's been discussed over and over again over multiple years. People on Twitter are always Tweeting "Why is nobody talking about X"...That person is in there own bubble and don't see a fraction of what's being discussed. Just searching a players name will show tons of mentions of a player and back-and-forth discussions. Everyone is being discussed. You're just not seeing it all. Asking why a guy isn't being discussed is just a dumb question. Just talk about a guy you want to talk about.
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DraftHobbyist wrote:
CalhounLambeau wrote:
Chiefer wrote:
CalhounLambeau wrote:
VanS wrote:

I don't know. But according to Nolan Nawrocki that's the consensus on Conner he's gotten from his NFL sources.
CWood21

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanS wrote:

There's really nothing interesting about him. He's a bigger back with some speed questions. Add in his health issues and he's a Day 3 prospect at best.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
BleedTheClock

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Conner, but I don't think he's a feature back. He's a great complement to a starting speed back. He can provide you with those rugged interior yards and eat goal line carries with no problems whatsoever. I also think he's an underrated pass catcher and pass blocker. He has 3rd down potential. I'd like to see him paired with Christian McCaffrey. Get McCaffrey in the 1st & Conner in the 4th-5th. Boom, your running game is now juiced to the titz. Philadelphia and Indianapolis are the teams I could see doubling up on RB's this year.

Also, I don't think Perine is getting enough pub. He's going to be very good. Went back and evaluated Perine and Mixon this week. The balance that Perine has is unreal. Runs with great power and grit...rarely are defenders able to "stop hit" him. He has great RB intangibles (churns his body in piles and gets those hidden yards). Good pass blocker. Meh pass catcher, but he doesn't have terrible hands. I wouldn't be shocked to see him go in the 2nd round. He's another guy in a long line of players that were overrated, people caught on to the overratedness, and pushed him into underrated territory.

I like Perine better than Mixon regardless of character. People point to Mixon's size and assume he runs with power. He's Mr. Twinkletoes. He does have solid speed and great agility, but I don't see explosive power from him. He bounces too frequently, stops behind the LOS, and does not understand how to find the "hidden yards" that Perine consistently eats up. If everything is blocked perfectly, Mixon is a better player. With murky blocking and small creases available (NFL), Perine is the better player.

Mixon will be a good player on 3rd downs. He has the chance to be one of the league's premier RB's out of the backfield, but I don't think he has true RB potential. I hate how indecisive he is. He shys away from contact. I know he's not similar athletically, but he reminds me a little bit of Beanie Wells in terms of running STYLE. Should be smacking dudes between the tackles, but wants to bounce everything and hit homeruns every carry. Combine this with the fact that he tried to punch a woman's jaw into outer space & you have a damn near undraftable player. I wouldn't draft him if I were a GM. I really don't see how anyone could select him after the Ray Rice thing.
MSURacerDT55

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BleedTheClock wrote:
I love Conner, but I don't think he's a feature back. He's a great complement to a starting speed back. He can provide you with those rugged interior yards and eat goal line carries with no problems whatsoever. I also think he's an underrated pass catcher and pass blocker. He has 3rd down potential. I'd like to see him paired with Christian McCaffrey. Get McCaffrey in the 1st & Conner in the 4th-5th. Boom, your running game is now juiced to the titz. Philadelphia and Indianapolis are the teams I could see doubling up on RB's this year.

Also, I don't think Perine is getting enough pub. He's going to be very good. Went back and evaluated Perine and Mixon this week. The balance that Perine has is unreal. Runs with great power and grit...rarely are defenders able to "stop hit" him. He has great RB intangibles (churns his body in piles and gets those hidden yards). Good pass blocker. Meh pass catcher, but he doesn't have terrible hands. I wouldn't be shocked to see him go in the 2nd round. He's another guy in a long line of players that were overrated, people caught on to the overratedness, and pushed him into underrated territory.

I like Perine better than Mixon regardless of character. People point to Mixon's size and assume he runs with power. He's Mr. Twinkletoes. He does have solid speed and great agility, but I don't see explosive power from him. He bounces too frequently, stops behind the LOS, and does not understand how to find the "hidden yards" that Perine consistently eats up. If everything is blocked perfectly, Mixon is a better player. With murky blocking and small creases available (NFL), Perine is the better player.

Mixon will be a good player on 3rd downs. He has the chance to be one of the league's premier RB's out of the backfield, but I don't think he has true RB potential. I hate how indecisive he is. He shys away from contact. I know he's not similar athletically, but he reminds me a little bit of Beanie Wells in terms of running STYLE. Should be smacking dudes between the tackles, but wants to bounce everything and hit homeruns every carry. Combine this with the fact that he tried to punch a woman's jaw into outer space & you have a damn near undraftable player. I wouldn't draft him if I were a GM. I really don't see how anyone could select him after the Ray Rice thing.

Cant resist taking a shot at Mixon... Laughing
BleedTheClock

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSURacerDT55 wrote:
BleedTheClock wrote:

1. It's not a "shot" to point out something he did.

2. I know he's your boy & apparently it doesn't matter what he did to you, but it does to me and I'd suspect it will to NFL people. I guess I was raised to believe knocking a woman's head off makes you a POS.
Crickett

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DraftHobbyist wrote:
CalhounLambeau wrote:
Chiefer wrote:
CalhounLambeau wrote:
VanS wrote:

Honestly, I think he could be a very good fit for the Packers in the fourth as a replacement for Eddie Lacy.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BleedTheClock wrote:
MSURacerDT55 wrote:
BleedTheClock wrote:

1. It's not a "shot" to point out something he did.

2. I know he's your boy & apparently it doesn't matter what he did to you, but it does to me and I'd suspect it will to NFL people. I guess I was raised to believe knocking a woman's head off makes you a POS.

Honestly I don't see any difference between punching a man in the face or punching a woman in the face. Both are terrible, and show immaturity and the lack of restraint in tough situations. But he was 18, dumb, and under the influence. She also was provoking him. The punch is not justified by provocation, but this wasn't a "Ray Rice" incident of domestic abuse where a grown man punches his wife out cold in an elevator after an argument. This was a teen not knowing how to handle his temper and alcohol.

I'd hope this has humbled him and taught him how he needs to conduct himself. If not, you're totally right, he'd be undraftable. If he has learned how to be a man in the 3 years since that incident, then I think you give him strikes one and two and still draft him, but any repeat offense results in void of guarantees and a release from the team. Mixon's draft status is 99% tied to the interviews he's given to clubs.

Personally, I think what Tyreek Hill did was much worse, because that affects the life of a child, but once you have NFL success everybody seems to forget about what you did in your past. For better or worse.
VanS

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:
Chiefer wrote:
CalhounLambeau wrote:
VanS wrote:

A lot of great NFL RBs have run in the 4.6s at a similar weight.

40 speed is one of the last things I would judge a RB by. Vision, patience, and acceleration through the hole are way more important. Also the ability to make a guy miss or run him over at the second level.

If you go by his 2014 tape when he was fully healthy, I think James Conner has the potential to be an elite RB in the NFL. He showed vision, patience, and a surprising burst through the hole that year. He's also got the power to run over DBs at the second level. The guy also has tremendous intangibles in terms of leadership and work ethic.

I believe that as long as he's cancer-free, he can be a STAR in the NFL.

Last edited by VanS on Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
MWil23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conner is a 6'1 and 235 pound battering ram, old school downhill RB, that reminds me a lot of Marian Barber/TJ Duckett/Tyrone Wheatley/Eddie George.

In today's NFL, I don't see him lasting long (career wise) due to his running style, and he's not great out of the backfield.

He'll need 15-25 carries a game and you'll have to commit to him...and all this is best case scenario as a feature back.

I like him a lot in rounds 4-6 as a nice #2 and short yardage back with potential for more down the road.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
VanS wrote:

His 2014 tape is as good as any RB in this draft. https://youtu.be/a1BbJU9eTmE

I personally like him better than Leonard Fournette and Dalvin Cook. Now that he's finally healthy, I think we could see 2014 James Conner in the NFL. He could ultimately end up as the best RB from this LOADED class.

James, is that you?

No. But I'm a huge fan of his.

James Conner is probably my second favorite prospect in this class after Josh Dobbs. Both of them have very underrated tape and are tremendous character guys. I'm a guy who is big on intangibles, especially work ethic, leadership, and competitiveness. And these two guys would be at the very top of this draft class in terms of those attributes.

James Conner will surprise people in the NFL with how good he is.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 30 of 32

Jump to: