You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

4th Draft Season: LA Bull
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> GM Mock Drafts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Techbert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: 4th Draft Season: LA Bull Reply with quote

I am hoping for good feedback this year. All is welcome. Tough. Fawning. Doesn't matter. Just be honest.

I need to set my team record for 2016, to slot my draft position. Please see the nearby thread summary in "3rd Draft Season: LA Bull".

I set a floor of 4-12, and a ceiling of 8-8. I won't listen (much) to speculation outside that range. I think the team clearly won games 1,2, and 3, as well as the last game against a disinterested Dallas Cowboys.

My vote is 4-12. I think there was good enough depth early, but I could not keep up with injuries.

Now maybe you think I would have won something in Weeks 5 thru 16. Tell me if you do, and why.

Having a 12-game losing streak in the middle of the season is definitely a disappointment, but I can take it.

------------------------------------------

Some highlights. My offense was led by rookie Carson Wentz. I had a running back by committee with Isaiah Crowell, Kenneth Dixon, and Zach Zenner. My effective receivers were Allen Robinson, Willie Snead, and Travis Benjamin. My tight ends did not exist, but I was effective passing to running backs. I had weak offensive tackle play but was strong up the middle. I used effective fullback blocking.

My defense was decimated by injuries. It was effective at tackle but woeful at defensive end. My linebacking had its moments, and was almost enough. My cornerbacks were almost enough. My safeties were outnumbered.

The offense ranked 22nd out of 33 in ypg, finishing 7th in rushing and 20th in passing. The defense ranked 33rd out of 33 in yardage, tackles, sacks, and interceptions.

I had a good kicker on special teams, but not an NFL-grade punter or deep snapper. Gunners and returners were no problem.

Your turn.
jrry32

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say 6-10 seems like a pretty solid guess based on your roster. Wentz showed good and bad. You had solid HBs and a good WR corp. Your OTs stunk, but your interior was a quality unit. The defense had some holes along with some good players.

Ultimately, I'd say your defense was probably a below average unit. Your offense would rank right around average in my mind.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
I'd say 6-10 seems like a pretty solid guess based on your roster. Wentz showed good and bad. You had solid HBs and a good WR corp. Your OTs stunk, but your interior was a quality unit. The defense had some holes along with some good players.

Ultimately, I'd say your defense was probably a below average unit. Your offense would rank right around average in my mind.

I'd accept that. It is defensible based on what happened with the Eagles, whose schedule I mirrored. I could sneak a few wins in the middle there, but my losses would be really bad. The thing about defensive holes is they get exploited.

Housekeeping note. My picks would be...

4 wins 5th in all rounds
5 wins 6th in odd rounds and 7th in even rounds.
6 wins 8th in all rounds
7 wins 11th in rounds 1,4,7, 10th in rounds 2,5, and 12th in rounds 3,6
8 wins 16th in rounds 1,4,7, 15th in rounds 2,5, and 14th in rounds 3,6
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techbert wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

I'd accept that. It is defensible based on what happened with the Eagles, whose schedule I mirrored. I could sneak a few wins in the middle there, but my losses would be really bad. The thing about defensive holes is they get exploited.

Housekeeping note. My picks would be...

4 wins 5th in all rounds
5 wins 6th in odd rounds and 7th in even rounds.
6 wins 8th in all rounds
7 wins 11th in rounds 1,4,7, 10th in rounds 2,5, and 12th in rounds 3,6
8 wins 16th in rounds 1,4,7, 15th in rounds 2,5, and 14th in rounds 3,6

Yep, you definitely have some holes that would get exploited. The good thing is that in today's NFL, you can do more to help your OTs than the interior. Which is why I think your offense could overcome the issues there.(plus, I wonder what Robinson would look like on a different offense...the Rams offensive coaching staff and scheme were atrocious) That's why I think your offense could be middle of the pack.

Defense, it would have been tougher sledding. You have a solid group of DTs, but your DEs did not do much this year. There are good bad components to both the secondary and LB corp. You have good players spread out across your defenses, but all your units seem below average to me. That's why I think you'd get a below average result.

But you're definitely doing a nice job of building the team up. It's getting close.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:

Yep, you definitely have some holes that would get exploited. The good thing is that in today's NFL, you can do more to help your OTs than the interior. Which is why I think your offense could overcome the issues there.(plus, I wonder what Robinson would look like on a different offense...the Rams offensive coaching staff and scheme were atrocious) That's why I think your offense could be middle of the pack.

Defense, it would have been tougher sledding. You have a solid group of DTs, but your DEs did not do much this year. There are good bad components to both the secondary and LB corp. You have good players spread out across your defenses, but all your units seem below average to me. That's why I think you'd get a below average result.

But you're definitely doing a nice job of building the team up. It's getting close.

Thanks for the solid feedback. As you said in your thread, we see eye to eye. I want to talk about a couple of points, because I want to talk about them.

Flashback. Preseason. LDE (or linebacker who knows who cares) came in unblocked by the ROT. Wentz went down. Did not get up until the season started. A bad set of OT's can get a qb killed, particularly a rookie. In the above example, I think any qb gets injured, as he had zero chance. That play is burned into my memory.

On the Bull, I think GRob did not let people go straight in untouched. They beat him, but they had to go around him for the most. Same with TJ. He was innocent in Bridgewater going down. A lot of GRob's mistakes were in false starts and holds, and not in getting his QB killed. But they were both bad in the passing game, as were the other two tackles I used. So we ran a lot, playing to their strengths. We kept a fullback in on pass pro, big strong full-sized men. We had a lot of quick swings to tailbacks, to force the DE's and OLB's into a moment of hesitation. I think Wentz would have been safer on the Bull than he was in Philly.

GRob will have new coaching next year. I am guessing Sean Payton. Saints developed Terron Armstead, by the way, who was way off the rough chart. GRob will do it, or he won't. If he does not do it, neither the Rams nor the Bull will pick up his 5th year.

Defenses can look awful until all the holes are plugged, and then they can rocket up the league charts. I think if I get an impact player on defense (think Reuben Foster or Jamal Adams or of course Myles Garrett), along with some normal new player help and normal young player development, the whole defense could change. Offense, a competent tight end could have added 500 yards to my simulation without cannibalizing any other player. I also want another hoss at wr. Then I am above league average with just one player.

I did not count on Super Mario. He was a flyer. I did count on Trevathan, who was good but not great for a third of the year and was hurt. I was getting what I wanted from Branch and Brooks before they went down. Not sure Atlanta is the best place for Derrick Shelby, at least in showcasing what I want out of him, and he was injured early anyway. My goal was to reach .500, and I thought I had an outside shot, but once all the vets disappeared I had no chance. Injuries are part of football....
Techbert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final call for input. Two votes. One for 4, which may be too low, and one for 6, which may be too high. This is your chance.

If you don't like me, this is really your chance.
Techbert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bull 2016 record: 5-11.

Cumulative

2014 1-15 1-15
2015 3-13 4-28
2016 5-11 9-39
Techbert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumor out of Bull HQ is predicting a strong draft-day emphasis on TE, DE, and S, with one CB drafted.
Techbert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumors out of Bull HQ have the first round focus on the following players:

Myles Garrett de TAM
Solomon Thomas de Stan
Jamal Adams s LSU
Malik Hooker s OSU
OJ Howard te Ala
David Njoku te Mia
Corey Davis wr WMU
Reuben Foster lb Ala

(Future reports may edit this list, which is not in rank order. Public comments are encouraged.)

Last edited by Techbert on Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Techbert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and congratulations to Pro Bowler Leonard Williams DT NYJ. Should be the first of many.
Techbert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More props for fine Super Bowls by

Grady Jarrett dt (3 sacks)
DeVondre Campbell wlb
Techbert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bull finalize deal for te Julius Thomas in exchange for a late 2017 draft choice. ot Branden Albert in town taking a physical.

EDIT: Albert trade sortof official, in exchange for a late 2018 pick.
Techbert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draft order finalized.

(Round/overall pick)
1 6
2 40
3 72
4 117, 132
5 154
6 196
7 230

(Note: the pick that NE got from Sea was forfeited, but I did not cheat, so the NE forfeited pick is the one that would have been 137 instead of 132.)

230 is probably traded for te Julius Thomas.
Techbert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roster, including futures contracts:

(Years are years from school, not service years)

qb Brett Hundley GB 3
qb Bryce Petty NYJ 3
qb Carson Wentz Phi 2
rb Kenneth Dixon Bal 2
rb Josh Ferguson Ind 2
rb Daniel Lasco NO 2
rb Zach Zenner Det 3
fb Zach Laskey LAR 3
fb Roosevelt Nix Pit 3
fb Jay Prosch Hou 4
wr Kenny Bell Bal 3
wr Travis Benjamin LAC 6
wr Moritz Bohringer Min 2
wr Rannell Hall Cle 3
wr Josh Huff TB 4
wr Andy Jones Dal 2
wr Tre McBride Ten 3
wr Allen Robinson Jax 4
te Blake Annen Buf 4
te Ladarius Green Pit 6
te Wes Saxton Wash 3
(te Julius Thomas Mia 7)
(ot Branden Albert Jax 10)
ot TJ Clemmings Min 3
ot Greg Robinson LAR 4
og La'el Collins Dal 3
og Laurent Duvernay-tardif KC 4
og Quinton Spain Ten 3
c Jack Allen NO 2
c Jake Brendel Mia 2
c Greg Mancz Hou 3
c Marcus Martin SF 4
c-og Isaac Seumalo Phi 2

dt Carl Davis Bal 3
dt Grady Jarrett Atl 3
dt Anthony Johnson NYJ 4
dt Aziz Sh-ittu Phi 2
dt LT Walton Pit 3
dt Leonard Williams NYJ 3
dt Justin Zimmer NO 2
de Obum Gwacham NO 3
de Owa Odighizuwa NYG 3
de Derrick Shelby Atl 6
edge James Cowser Oak 2
lb Max Bullough Hou 3
lb Shilique Calhoun Oak 2
lb De'Vondre Campbell Atl 2
lb Anthony Chickillo Pit 3
lb Kyle Emanuel LAC 3
lb Ben Heeney Oak 3
lb Jeff Luc NYJ 2
lb Victor Ochi KC 2
lb Terrance Smith KC 2
lb Danny Trevathan Chi 6
lb Tony Washington Hou 3
cb Mackensie Alexander Min 2
cb Ron Brooks Phi 6
cb Aaron Colvin Jax 4
cb Phillip Gaines KC 4
cb Nick Marshall NYJ 3
cb Sean Smith Oak 9
s Adrian Amos Chi 3
s Brian Blechen Car 3
s Tyvon Branch Az 10
s Pierre Desir Sea 4
s Isaiah Johnson LAR 3
s Derron Smith Cin 3

k Chris Boswell Pit 3
ls Jeff Overbaugh Den 2

Free Agents
qb David Fales ERFA Chi 4
rb John Crockett ERFA GB 3
rb Isaiah Crowell RFA Cle 4
wr Willie Snead ERFA NO 4
ot James Hurst RFA Bal
lb Mike Hull ERFA Mia
lb Tyler Starr ERFA Atl

Unrestricted free agents:
de Mario Williams (waived)
te Ben Watson Bal (waived)
ot Andre Smith
Techbert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other news, Bull is finalizing a 41.25/5 contract with Laurent Duvernay-Tardif.

And placed a 2nd round tender on rb Isaiah Crowell Cle. $2.81mm.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> GM Mock Drafts All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: