Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chandler Jones will be franchised
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CardsNCats

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Chandler Jones will be franchised Reply with quote

http://blog.azcardinals.com/2017/01/02/franchise-tagging-chandler-jones/
No Calais deal now for sure.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not for sure will be franchised. He will be franchised if a deal isn't made in time. Big difference because his actual contract will likely be less than the franchise amount is. Regardless though it will be incredibly difficult to re-sign Calais

#JDI
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping it's non-exclusive and a team wants to give up picks.

mike23md
Jlash

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:

You'd rather a pick than Jones?

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jlash wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:

Compensation for a non-exclusive tag is pickS, plural.
Jlash

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
Jlash wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:

So that's a yes? You'd have have pick(s) than Jones?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jlash wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
Jlash wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:

So that's a yes? You'd have have pick(s) than Jones?

2 first round picks, as mandated? In a heartbeat.
Cards_FTW

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering the Cardinals only had to give a late 2nd and a first round bust for Chandler Jones I find it hard to imagine a team is willing to part with 2 first round picks for him, on top of a monster contract. Its not like Chandler Jones came in here and got 20+ sacks, he was essentially the same player he was in New England. Sure, he influenced protection to improve our sack totals elsewhere as well, but I also think many Cardinals progressed this season as well as players(Golden, Mauro, Okafor, etc).

A long term contract would probably help our short-term cap situation but that's a risky investment. Have to think Olivier Vernon's deal last year is the comparable, 5/85 with 50+M guaranteed.
Jlash

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cards_FTW wrote:
Considering the Cardinals only had to give a late 2nd and a first round bust for Chandler Jones I find it hard to imagine a team is willing to part with 2 first round picks for him, on top of a monster contract. Its not like Chandler Jones came in here and got 20+ sacks, he was essentially the same player he was in New England. Sure, he influenced protection to improve our sack totals elsewhere as well, but I also think many Cardinals progressed this season as well as players(Golden, Mauro, Okafor, etc).

A long term contract would probably help our short-term cap situation but that's a risky investment. Have to think Olivier Vernon's deal last year is the comparable, 5/85 with 50+M guaranteed.

Yea, I'm sure Markus Golden wouldn't mind if he stuck around.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jlash wrote:
Cards_FTW wrote:

He probably wouldn't mind a CB opposite Patrick Peterson who could freeze QBs for an additional .5-1.5 seconds either but that's neither here nor there.
Jlash

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
Jlash wrote:
Cards_FTW wrote:

He probably wouldn't mind a CB opposite Patrick Peterson who could freeze QBs for an additional .5-1.5 seconds either but that's neither here nor there.

Another CB wouldn't stop opposing offenses from paying him extra attention without another good pass rusher opposite him.

And lucky for you guys, there's lots of good CB's in this draft! You should be all set.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jlash wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
Jlash wrote:
Cards_FTW wrote:

Another CB wouldn't stop opposing offenses from paying him extra attention without another good pass rusher opposite him.

And lucky for you guys, there's lots of good CB's in this draft! You should be all set.

Doesn't matter if he's chipped or doubled or not, if the QB makes a read to an open WR, in this league, that ball is out before the 3rd step forward.

Unluckily for us, we have a laundry list of needs outside of the vacuum of the defensive back end. That's why you take the picks and you laugh all the way to May.
CardsNCats

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we could get 2 1sts, adios!!
Jlash

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stchamp98 wrote:
Jlash wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
Jlash wrote:
Cards_FTW wrote:

Doesn't matter if he's chipped or doubled or not, if the QB makes a read to an open WR, in this league, that ball is out before the 3rd step forward.

Unluckily for us, we have a laundry list of needs outside of the vacuum of the defensive back end. That's why you take the picks and you laugh all the way to May.

Well nobody is giving you two 1st's for him, we both know that. If your pick rolled around in the first and you went another direction, like ILB or offensive line or wherever you guys would prefer to go, there's still CB options in the 2nd round. Benefits of having a fairly deep class.

A guy like Tre White or Des King has a good shot at being there in the 2nd.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jlash wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
Jlash wrote:
stchamp98 wrote:
Jlash wrote:
Cards_FTW wrote:

Well nobody is giving you two 1st's for him, we both know that. If your pick rolled around in the first and you went another direction, like ILB or offensive line or wherever you guys would prefer to go, there's still CB options in the 2nd round. Benefits of having a fairly deep class.

A guy like Tre White or Des King has a good shot at being there in the 2nd.

This conversation started on a comment made by Dez regarding another organization attempting to sign a player (Chandler Jones) on a non-exclusive franchise tag, as has been hinted by HC Bruce Arians. The mandated compensation for a player with this designation is two first round NFL Draft selections. Hence the correction from pick to pickS.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: