Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Draft Thread Pt. 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
G08


Joined: 28 Feb 2011
Posts: 5795
Location: Chicago, IL
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, is Derek Barnett a legit option at #3?

McPhee has been hurt, and after the 2017 season ends we can cut him for $1 million cap hit and $7.075 million in cap relief.

Young has been banged up, and after the 2017 season ends we can cut him for a $900k cap hit and $4.5 million in cap relief.

A future OLB corps of Floyd/Barnett could be nasty.
_________________
topwop1 wrote:
My point is you can find a franchise guy like [Derek] Carr in every draft

jrry32 wrote:
apples

When the defense allows 20 pts or fewer, the Cutler-led Bears are 36-7
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TankWilliams


Joined: 11 Dec 2007
Posts: 16502
Location: Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
That's sick pig, but I don't know if I see McPhee being moved to 5T, and I don't know if we can drop that much coin on CB in FA.


Yeah McPhee's injury problems started from when Baltimore asked him to put on more weight and play 5T in 2012. If anything, I'd like McPhee to cut some weight, not be forced to put more on and change positions.

Apart from that, though, I like it. No problem with having McPhee, Young, Floyd, and Garrett all at OLB.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TankWilliams


Joined: 11 Dec 2007
Posts: 16502
Location: Chicago
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
Guys, is Derek Barnett a legit option at #3?

McPhee has been hurt, and after the 2017 season ends we can cut him for $1 million cap hit and $7.075 million in cap relief.

Young has been banged up, and after the 2017 season ends we can cut him for a $900k cap hit and $4.5 million in cap relief.

A future OLB corps of Floyd/Barnett could be nasty.


No, only OLB I take at 3 is Garrett. Otherwise I'm looking at Watson/Trubisky/Hooker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gah112


Joined: 30 Jan 2015
Posts: 516
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
Guys, is Derek Barnett a legit option at #3?

McPhee has been hurt, and after the 2017 season ends we can cut him for $1 million cap hit and $7.075 million in cap relief.

Young has been banged up, and after the 2017 season ends we can cut him for a $900k cap hit and $4.5 million in cap relief.

A future OLB corps of Floyd/Barnett could be nasty.


If Garrett and Allen are both off the board, we're looking at the chance to either take a QB or trade down to some team that really wants the top QB.

Otherwise, I'm picking both Garrett and Allen before Barnett.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
G08


Joined: 28 Feb 2011
Posts: 5795
Location: Chicago, IL
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gah112 wrote:
G08 wrote:
Guys, is Derek Barnett a legit option at #3?

McPhee has been hurt, and after the 2017 season ends we can cut him for $1 million cap hit and $7.075 million in cap relief.

Young has been banged up, and after the 2017 season ends we can cut him for a $900k cap hit and $4.5 million in cap relief.

A future OLB corps of Floyd/Barnett could be nasty.


If Garrett and Allen are both off the board, we're looking at the chance to either take a QB or trade down to some team that really wants the top QB.

Otherwise, I'm picking both Garrett and Allen before Barnett.


In my scenario, I'm assuming Garrett and Trubisky are gone.
_________________
topwop1 wrote:
My point is you can find a franchise guy like [Derek] Carr in every draft

jrry32 wrote:
apples

When the defense allows 20 pts or fewer, the Cutler-led Bears are 36-7
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Epyon


Joined: 02 Jan 2013
Posts: 220
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
For those of you that are deeper in your draft evals than I am:

Can you give me your 3 ideal scenarios where you draft a QB in round 1, round 2, and round 3?

For example, Watson/Tankersley/Butt

(Jonathan) Allen/Mahomes/Butt

Hooker/Tankersley/Kaaya

etc


Most ideal scenario using current CBS rankings (which I think are wrong):

1.Hooker-FS 2.Engram -WR/T 3.Mahomes-QB

I don't think Mahomes is even there in the 2nd, however so that's a pipe dream (and if he fell to the third, I'd be -very- concerned about there being something major wrong... like personality or health wise)


I'm just going to write this like a draft board:

QB options by round:

Round 1. Mahomes on trade up to back half of first > Mahomes on Trade down from #3 > Mahomes @ #3 > Watson on trade down > Watson @ 3

Round 2. Mahomes falls* > Watson falls > Webb kills it in the Senior Bowl > Kizer falls > Webb on trade down > Panic pick Webb because 4 QBs went in the first round

Round 3. Webb does ok in the Senior Bowl and we take a shot > long shot on Josh Allen > Pace grabs Kaaya because he feels like he gets fired if we don't make at least 1 QB pick

Non QB options by round:

Round 1. Malik Hooker-FS > Leonard Fournette-RB > Jonathan Allen-5t (I need to watch his Nat Championship tape a few times and figure out where he went during that game and/or why) > Foster-ILB (If Trevethan isn't recovering) > Barnett-OLB (with great combine) > Solomon Thomas-5t (a big sleeper who could shoot to the top 5)> Jamal Adams-SS

Round 2. Jabrill Peppers falls-SS > Evan Engram-WR/TE > Njoku-TE > Tankersly-CB > Adoree Jackson-(I'll find him a position somewhere)> Christian McCaffrey-RB/WR/KR > Budda Baker-FS

Round 3. Jake Butt-TE > Taylor Moton-OT > Dalvin Tomlinson-NT/5t >Rasul Douglas-CB > Forrest Lamp-OL (he's this year's Whitehair, but I can't take him if he isn't playing OT) ┐Tanoh Kpassagnon-5t/maybe even OLB? (This guy's stock could literally be anywhere... need to see his Senior Bowl and Combine)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sugashane


Joined: 06 Jan 2013
Posts: 2923
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
Guys, is Derek Barnett a legit option at #3?

McPhee has been hurt, and after the 2017 season ends we can cut him for $1 million cap hit and $7.075 million in cap relief.

Young has been banged up, and after the 2017 season ends we can cut him for a $900k cap hit and $4.5 million in cap relief.

A future OLB corps of Floyd/Barnett could be nasty.


I think we would do better to trade back a few spots and take him or Thomas, wrk I completely forgot about earlier. Both would be great additions, but I think 3 is still pretty rich for either.

Still if that was the pick, I wouldn't be upset at all.
_________________
2013 Kyle Long Rookie of the Year Award

Adopt a Bear - Kyle Long (Two Season Streak)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Epyon


Joined: 02 Jan 2013
Posts: 220
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
G08 wrote:
Guys, is Derek Barnett a legit option at #3?

McPhee has been hurt, and after the 2017 season ends we can cut him for $1 million cap hit and $7.075 million in cap relief.

Young has been banged up, and after the 2017 season ends we can cut him for a $900k cap hit and $4.5 million in cap relief.

A future OLB corps of Floyd/Barnett could be nasty.


I think we would do better to trade back a few spots and take him or Thomas, wrk I completely forgot about earlier. Both would be great additions, but I think 3 is still pretty rich for either.

Still if that was the pick, I wouldn't be upset at all.


Thomas and Barnett both could come down to combine imo.... If Thomas ends up with a great combine (which the Stanford coach is making noise that he'll do exactly that) , I'd have to at least consider him next to Allen.... or if Barnett posts elite SPARQ numbers, I'd absolutely consider him @ #3 overall.

That being said, I don't honestly think there's really a wrong non QB answer for us right now... Allen, Thomas, Hooker, Adams, Barnett are all studs that would upgrade us.... And Fournette and Foster are both studs as well, just likely not positions of big need... The only way we could really screw it up imo is if we went Kizer or Trubisky, or reached on one of the corners (which I think there's a ton of really good corners, just no hands down great ones worth a top 10)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gah112


Joined: 30 Jan 2015
Posts: 516
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for Barnett the combine will be more about answering questions than putting on a show. He's not a great athlete, but he needs to prove he's good enough to play at the NFL level.

I'll be especially interested in his 3 cone. Bending the edge is probably his best physical trait.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZBearsFan


Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 12887
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
gah112 wrote:
G08 wrote:
Guys, is Derek Barnett a legit option at #3?

McPhee has been hurt, and after the 2017 season ends we can cut him for $1 million cap hit and $7.075 million in cap relief.

Young has been banged up, and after the 2017 season ends we can cut him for a $900k cap hit and $4.5 million in cap relief.

A future OLB corps of Floyd/Barnett could be nasty.


If Garrett and Allen are both off the board, we're looking at the chance to either take a QB or trade down to some team that really wants the top QB.

Otherwise, I'm picking both Garrett and Allen before Barnett.


In my scenario, I'm assuming Garrett and Trubisky are gone.

Re: pass rushers I think everyone has just assumed that Lamarr Houston is gone but I don't know that it's a foregone conclusion. He's not super expensive next year at $7M and realistically he's our 4th OLB. As far as financial investment in the position for 2017 between he, Floyd, Young and McPhee we are at $23M combined cap hit for 4 guys all of whom can produce off the edge. Assuming he's expected back by TC and I suspect he will be then it's at least plausible they keep him on what is now basically a year-to-year deal vs. venturing into FA or investing highly in the draft in the position. It's one of the few positions where we actually have quality depth and it's not as though we need the cap room.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
topwop1


Joined: 08 Jan 2008
Posts: 7373
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
G08 wrote:
gah112 wrote:
G08 wrote:
Guys, is Derek Barnett a legit option at #3?

McPhee has been hurt, and after the 2017 season ends we can cut him for $1 million cap hit and $7.075 million in cap relief.

Young has been banged up, and after the 2017 season ends we can cut him for a $900k cap hit and $4.5 million in cap relief.

A future OLB corps of Floyd/Barnett could be nasty.


If Garrett and Allen are both off the board, we're looking at the chance to either take a QB or trade down to some team that really wants the top QB.

Otherwise, I'm picking both Garrett and Allen before Barnett.


In my scenario, I'm assuming Garrett and Trubisky are gone.

Re: pass rushers I think everyone has just assumed that Lamarr Houston is gone but I don't know that it's a foregone conclusion. He's not super expensive next year at $7M and realistically he's our 4th OLB. As far as financial investment in the position for 2017 between he, Floyd, Young and McPhee we are at $23M combined cap hit for 4 guys all of whom can produce off the edge. Assuming he's expected back by TC and I suspect he will be then it's at least plausible they keep him on what is now basically a year-to-year deal vs. venturing into FA or investing highly in the draft in the position. It's one of the few positions where we actually have quality depth and it's not as though we need the cap room.


I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Houston is gone. I think he still has value on this team. Only way I could see them moving on is if they get lucky and land Garrett at #3, otherwise who else do they have?

I don't think they are looking at Barnett.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Epyon


Joined: 02 Jan 2013
Posts: 220
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't remember where I read it, but there was a blurb somewhere about us going for Solomon Thomas....


and putting him at OLB

That was a bit unexpected... but I guess he is closer to McPhee in size than Jonathan Allen... I'd really need to watch more of his film, as I hadn't really considered that as a possibility at all...

FWIW, he was also apparently born in Chicago.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sugashane


Joined: 06 Jan 2013
Posts: 2923
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epyon wrote:
Can't remember where I read it, but there was a blurb somewhere about us going for Solomon Thomas....


and putting him at OLB

That was a bit unexpected... but I guess he is closer to McPhee in size than Jonathan Allen... I'd really need to watch more of his film, as I hadn't really considered that as a possibility at all...

FWIW, he was also apparently born in Chicago.


I wouldn't hesitate to put him there. He is powerful, has a really good first step (especially for his size) and while not even remotely close to Miller's athleticism I think will measure out better in the combine than Bosa. Being from Stanford I would imagine he is pretty intelligent, and he always seemed to be around the ball.

Dropping 7 while having: Thomas - McPhee - Hicks - Floyd would be pretty stout.
_________________
2013 Kyle Long Rookie of the Year Award

Adopt a Bear - Kyle Long (Two Season Streak)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nads786


Joined: 11 Sep 2005
Posts: 4554
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malik Hooker seems to be a really highly rated FS:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000775479/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2017-nfl-draft?campaign=tw-cf-sf51362710-sf51362710&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
G08


Joined: 28 Feb 2011
Posts: 5795
Location: Chicago, IL
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nads786 wrote:
Malik Hooker seems to be a really highly rated FS:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000775479/article/daniel-jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2017-nfl-draft?campaign=tw-cf-sf51362710-sf51362710&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral


I just can't justify taking a safety at #3 overall.
_________________
topwop1 wrote:
My point is you can find a franchise guy like [Derek] Carr in every draft

jrry32 wrote:
apples

When the defense allows 20 pts or fewer, the Cutler-led Bears are 36-7
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 16 of 18

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group