Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 AFC Wildcard GDT: Oakland Raiders vs Houston Texans
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Brock is the all time leader in playoff win % in Texans history

^S/o to El Ramster for the amazing sig
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
JJoe has been burned on almost every catch in the 4th quarter

Dude - you can keep barking up this tree with JJoe and you will continue to be wrong. Easily the Texans best player in secondary this season as he has been the past 6. Is given the toughest assignment every week and was absolutely robbed of a Pro Bowl nod. Bouye has been great, but in RAC's defense JJoe does all the heavy lifting. Scramble play wasn't pretty, but the ball was clearly uncatchable 6 yards short of player. Others were just WR's making solid catches vs. solid coverage & clear marching orders to just keep everything in front of him and milk the clock.

Recovering Texans Season Ticket Holder
jch1911

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

Dude - you can keep barking up this tree with JJoe and you will continue to be wrong. Easily the Texans best player in secondary this season as he has been the past 6. Is given the toughest assignment every week and was absolutely robbed of a Pro Bowl nod. Bouye has been great, but in RAC's defense JJoe does all the heavy lifting. Scramble play wasn't pretty, but the ball was clearly uncatchable 6 yards short of player. Others were just WR's making solid catches vs. solid coverage & clear marching orders to just keep everything in front of him and milk the clock.

TY!!! I don't know where this JJoe dislike comes from... EVERYBODY outside of Houston know that man is a true #1 corner.
BayRaider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good game guys. Think this would of been a different game with Carr but you guys beat us fair and square today. Your defense is legit. If you guys get a legit QB next season, could be my Super Bowl pick. Hope you give the Pats a game next week and don't make it easy for them.
Jaytrajik

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

TY!!! I don't know where this JJoe dislike comes from... EVERYBODY outside of Houston know that man is a true #1 corner.

He has regressed a bit since his injury, you can't deny that
Speed_Wrench

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the win, needless to say it will become exponentially harder next week.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else notice that Cushing is down to safety size these days? Appears he may have finally figured out that the juice wasn't the answer anymore and he's gotten a few steps back in those gimpy knees by dropping weight. Clearly the dude has been diminished by both self inflicted and cheap shot inflicted damage, but I gotta give the guy some props for stepping up and making it thru this entire season and providing some exceptional on field leadership. Dude is still the captain of this defense that has played at an exceptional level despite missing huge components in Watt, Simon, & Kevin Johnson and ever present mediocrity at safety. I'd still take Vrabel in a cage match vs. any of our LBs and suspect somebody is going to grab him up for a promotion soon.

jch1911

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaytrajik wrote:
jch1911 wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

He has regressed a bit since his injury, you can't deny that

I chalk that about to age more than injury. That being said... he still draws the #1 assignment and does a pretty darn good job each weak (that he plays). As I said before, his floor is still better IMHO than KJax's ceiling as a CB... now if we move KJax to safety Think
BayRaider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJo is not your guys best corner anymore. He hasn't been elite since 2014.

AJ Bouye is elite. Might just be the 5th best CB in the NFL behind Talib, Harris, Butler, and Peterson.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best game the Texans have played since OT Win in Indy in Week 6. Total team effort with all 3 phases contributing for a change. Each phase had some ugly moments (running into kicker/muffed punt, hyperconservative playcalling in 3rd & way too many unproductive Lamar Miller runs into piles, too loose prevent coverage) but overall, we actually played like a playoff caliber team today. That's saying ALOT since we haven't actually played like a playoff caliber team since the bye week, so gotta give O'Brien some huge props for getting this team prepared and executing a pretty mistake proof game. Gotta give Ossy props for efficient mistake free performance and delivering 2 Tds and some solid conversions and even delivering some darts to Nuk. Not going to oversell it as it's a bit like beating the AJ McCarron Bengals with TJ Yates a few years ago, but we are also a team that got destroyed 27-0 by the Jacoby Brissett led Pats this year, so this still counts as progress.

BTW - I don't care about the Punt Return TD which was a product of an obvious penalty, Tyler Ervin CANNOT be on our field next week after fumbling 2 more times (honestly, it was stupid having him out there after he just ran 50 yards). Send Mumphrey back there with orders to just fair catch everything & if we need an explosive play let Fuller do something to contribute since he's an afterthought in the offense. You can't let a kick/punt returner kill you with quick change plays (Jacoby Jones vs. Ravens anyone) especially when you are playing ball control offense.

Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayRaider wrote:
JJo is not your guys best corner anymore. He hasn't been elite since 2014.

AJ Bouye is elite. Might just be the 5th best CB in the NFL behind Talib, Harris, Butler, and Peterson.

Funny coming from a Raider fan since Bouye was terrible the last time we played you (you remember that absurdly scripted WWE result the NFL handed the Raiders in Mexico, right?). He got a garbage int but also missed several tackles badly, 1 PI called, another missed, gave up multiple first downs, and was spared from an even worse day by multiple drops after being beaten. Raiders are one of the few teams we played all season with 2 legit threats like Crabtree & Cooper & that's what it looks like when Joseph isn't covering the primary threat. Only teams that threw on us were teams featuring two top WRs like Sanders/Thomas & Nelson/Cobb.

Don't get me wrong as I love me some Bouye (particularly because he is NOT Kareem Jackson), but the love for him nationally is fueled by next gen stats that ignore that he was a #4 CB playing behind JJoe, Kareem & Kevin Johnson half of the season which does wonders for how many yards you give up. Those same next gen stats & idiots like KC Joyner once proclaimed Fred "The Faller" Bennett to be a future Pro Bowler based upon him not giving up yards in zone while Dunta Robinson was the only guy actually covering man to man in our defense. Kareem Jackson has been massively overrated by those same next gen stats because of the work JJoe did taking on the real threats (and the fact they STILL refuse to adjust their systems to account for penalty yards given up). Bouye has a bright future and may receive the biggest pay raise in history going from UDFA salary to #1 CB salary, but Joseph is and remains the heart and soul of this secondary & has been habitually underrated because ints aren't his strength probably because he hasn't gotten help from a safety in 6 seasons.

The true horror of Rick Smith setting fire to our cap flexibility with horrible decisions like Osweiler & Allen is that it could cost us the ability to resign the best UDFA find he's made since Arian Foster (which would be impressive if he didn't wizz away rounds 2-7 every year).

BayRaider

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing i'm gonna reply to out of that is our last game being "scripted". No. DeAndre was confirmed out of bounds, clear as day, in many videos in the internet. Half his foot clearly on the chalk with chalk flying up. The 4th and Inches was also confirmed short from several angles.

The 3rd and 1 was probably a first down but was really really close. Bill O Brien should of challenged that play and not the 4th down play. Scripted? Please.. we beat you guys fair and square that game. Just like you beat us fair and square this game.
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We dont give our CBs an assignment, they play sides, and they picked on JJoe tonight in the 4th quarter. Hes not our number 1 CB anymore.

on another note, we have reached the final week of the season, at least thats what im going to tell myself all week, because we all know we have about a 10% chance of beating the Pats on the road.

Its crazy to think that no Texans fan has ever seen their team play beyond this coming week.

^S/o to El Ramster for the amazing sig
amazingandre

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
We dont give our CBs an assignment, they play sides, and they picked on JJoe tonight in the 4th quarter. Hes not our number 1 CB anymore.

on another note, we have reached the final week of the season, at least thats what im going to tell myself all week, because we all know we have about a 10% chance of beating the Pats on the road.

Its crazy to think that no Texans fan has ever seen their team play beyond this coming week.

Thank you, JJO is always on the left side of the defense. He doesn't shadows anyone. He is an ok CB still, but not worth his salary, at this point I would consider a move to S for him with Johnson, Bouye and Jackson playing the corners. Nelson Jr has shown flashes this season, with more reps.

Brock played ok. I still think they need to allow him to throw it more. I feel like I am watching a coach call plays for Connor Cook each week, rather than a QB with a full season under his belt.

Lamar Miller is just so blah. The dude has speed, but goes down so easily.
jch1911

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am reading this page (below) right, but this does appear to show JJoe playing both sides of the field (although it is from 2015).

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Football-101-Joseph%E2%80%99s-2015-success/13626c85-8f54-4872-b2af-32698511fd8a

The analysis is a little Homerish (since it is from Texans website), but on point for this year AND last year.

You do realize he is the 23rd highest paid CB in the NFL - even KJax makes more $$$.

I think I am a bit biased because I played corner - obviously not at the NFL level. I know it is a thankless position most of the time. In a team sport, you are out there "alone" on many plays. So you are exposed a great deal to the spotlight. But IMHO I think Texans' fans have been spoiled by the quality of JJo's play over the years.

Football Outsiders ranking of Houston Pass Defense since 2011 (duh I know there are multiple parts to the secondary...)
2011: 7th
2012: 4th
2013: 24th (added Swagg-boi to secondary Shocked)
2014: 6th
2015: 7th
2016: 5th

Oh yeah before JJo.. 2010: 32nd (KJax drafted) Shocked// 2009: 18th // 2008: 25th // 2007: 29th // 2006: 31st // 2005: 30th // 2004: 21st // 2003: 29th //2002: 19th

Anyway, I am glad he is here. Don't want to see him go (or Bouye for that matter). Glad we won today. I know we ran the ball OFTEN, but did you know OL gave up no QB hits or sacks today??? Shocked

Hoping it's KC next week, but optimistic even if it is Patriots next week. GO TEXANS!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: