Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 AFC Wildcard GDT: Oakland Raiders vs Houston Texans
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Texansfan713


Joined: 24 Dec 2009
Posts: 42534
Location: Htowntakever
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: 2017 AFC Wildcard GDT: Oakland Raiders vs Houston Texans Reply with quote



Sat, January 7th, 2016
3:35 PM CT
ESPN
NRG Stadium

Osweiler/Savage vs Cook/McGloin?

EH


Raiders: 13
Texans: 20
_________________


Last edited by Texansfan713 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pastor Dillon


Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 15230
Location: Melbourne, Arkansas
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there wont be any LazerGate this time!!!

Am I the only one, and it pains me to say this, who feels like Brock gives us our best chance to win this game?
_________________

^S/o to El Ramster for the amazing sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
amazingandre


Joined: 16 Dec 2007
Posts: 14966
Location: Elkhorn, WI
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Brock is going to go rogue on the field this week if BoB continues to call crap plays. In his post game presser he calls out the coaching staff with their slow play calls and slow tempo.....it was subtle, but a clear line has been drawn in the sand
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BayRaider


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 4052
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck this week guys! Expecting the most sloppy game of the wildcard round and the winner get obliterated by the Patriots Laughing but at least one of us can say we won a playoff game!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texansfan713


Joined: 24 Dec 2009
Posts: 42534
Location: Htowntakever
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People actually defending O Brien in the NFL General board. Laughing
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PAtexansFAN99


Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 4780
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayRaider wrote:
Good luck this week guys! Expecting the most sloppy game of the wildcard round and the winner get obliterated by the Patriots Laughing but at least one of us can say we won a playoff game!


Maybe not.. GO DOPHINS! Laughing

But in all seriousness, if we beat you guys all I really hope is that we give the Pats a game. We've got a defense that could potentially give them a hard time. I want to be left with the taste of almost winning (at worst), so that next year when we get back Watt, Kevin Johnson, maaybe Derek Newton Pray , we'll be confident that we can take that game off them.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Pastor Dillon


Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 15230
Location: Melbourne, Arkansas
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brock is starting this week. Its the right call, Savage is in concussion protocol and there wasnt any reason to keep it up in the air. Let Brock gets the reps he needs to be ready to go.

Hes already faced the Raiders once this season and he played them last year as well. His only career 300 yard passing game was agaisnt them in a loss last season.

At this point you have to go with Brock all the way threw the playoffs. Next season we can add a rookie and let Brock, Savage and Rookie have open competition for the starting position.

heres hoping he can pull it together for us. Maybe the benching will be a good thing for him.
_________________

^S/o to El Ramster for the amazing sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
BayRaider


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 4052
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAtexansFAN99 wrote:
BayRaider wrote:
Good luck this week guys! Expecting the most sloppy game of the wildcard round and the winner get obliterated by the Patriots Laughing but at least one of us can say we won a playoff game!


Maybe not.. GO DOPHINS! Laughing

But in all seriousness, if we beat you guys all I really hope is that we give the Pats a game. We've got a defense that could potentially give them a hard time. I want to be left with the taste of almost winning (at worst), so that next year when we get back Watt, Kevin Johnson, maaybe Derek Newton Pray , we'll be confident that we can take that game off them.


It could be semi close but absolutely 0%, if that, chance you guys beat the Pats with Osweiler. Even in Houston.

If you guys get Romo next year you guys might just be my SB pick. Although Osweilers contract probably prevents that. What a terrible signing. Have no idea what your GM was thinking. Especially making the second year guaranteed when Osweiler hasn't proven anything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Longhorns90


Joined: 28 Oct 2009
Posts: 1373
Location: Denver, CO (via Austin, TX)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texansfan713 wrote:
People actually defending O Brien in the NFL General board. Laughing


I can defend him here too, if you'd like. You've deluded yourself if you think we're doing much better with the "talent" we have offense. Our offensive talent is basically limited to two players - Hopkins has been playing out of his mind since he got here considering the trash that's been throwing him the ball. He was due for a regression to the mean at some point, given who's been throwing it to him. And we're probably going to run Lamar Miller into an early grave, given how hard we've been running him into the ground. I wouldn't exactly count on a long shelf-life for him.

What else do we have? Don't seriously tell me you think our tight ends are top flight. Or that the rest of our receiving corps isn't a bunch of various projects and works in progress. Or maybe Alfred Blue or Jonathan Grimes are secret weapons posed to explode out of the backfield when we need a change of pace? Don't make me laugh. I watch all the Texans games too, thank you Sunday Ticket.

Which leads us to the crux of our situation - our inadequacy at the quarterback position, which is Rick Smith's job to fill, not Bill O'Brien's. Whatever input he might have, I somewhat seriously doubt he's the supposed legwork on these decisions. You have to judge him based on what he's been given. And he's done decently, all told. Ryan Fitzpatrick's year with the Texans? Best passer rating in his career, fewest INTs in his career, best completion percentage of his career, best yards per attempt in his career. Brian Hoyer's year with the Texans? Well, he's only had two years as a starter, but guess which year his stats are across the board better in? That's right, in Houston.

Brock Osweiler is the first to regress under O'Brien, but how much of that is because of O'Brien and how much is because he's Brock effing Osweiler, I couldn't tell you. He's been turning lead into silver the past couple of years - now he's got a pile of horse manure and you're complaining he hasn't figured out how to turn it into to gold.

Throw Rick Smith overboard? Yeah, sure. Go right ahead, he should have been gone a long while ago. But O'Brien? He's doing his job, which is to give the team a chance. The guy has frustrating play-calling to be sure, but he's playing not to lose the game. You did see some of those throws Brock made in that Jaguars game, right? You think that might be the reason why he's got such a short leash over the course of the season?

If you want to blame O'Brien for doing too well that we don't get a high enough draft pick to fix our problems, that's one thing, but that's a problem I'd rather have, tbh Laughing
_________________
bbllstr22 wrote:
justo wrote:
SUPERB OWL
Darn. I want a superb owl. I only have this POS barn owl. Hedwig would be a major upgrade.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
BayRaider


Joined: 01 Jun 2011
Posts: 4052
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longhorns90 wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
People actually defending O Brien in the NFL General board. Laughing


I can defend him here too, if you'd like. You've deluded yourself if you think we're doing much better with the "talent" we have offense. Our offensive talent is basically limited to two players - Hopkins has been playing out of his mind since he got here considering the trash that's been throwing him the ball. He was due for a regression to the mean at some point, given who's been throwing it to him. And we're probably going to run Lamar Miller into an early grave, given how hard we've been running him into the ground. I wouldn't exactly count on a long shelf-life for him.

What else do we have? Don't seriously tell me you think our tight ends are top flight. Or that the rest of our receiving corps isn't a bunch of various projects and works in progress. Or maybe Alfred Blue or Jonathan Grimes are secret weapons posed to explode out of the backfield when we need a change of pace? Don't make me laugh. I watch all the Texans games too, thank you Sunday Ticket.

Which leads us to the crux of our situation - our inadequacy at the quarterback position, which is Rick Smith's job to fill, not Bill O'Brien's. Whatever input he might have, I somewhat seriously doubt he's the supposed legwork on these decisions. You have to judge him based on what he's been given. And he's done decently, all told. Ryan Fitzpatrick's year with the Texans? Best passer rating in his career, fewest INTs in his career, best completion percentage of his career, best yards per attempt in his career. Brian Hoyer's year with the Texans? Well, he's only had two years as a starter, but guess which year his stats are across the board better in? That's right, in Houston.

Brock Osweiler is the first to regress under O'Brien, but how much of that is because of O'Brien and how much is because he's Brock effing Osweiler, I couldn't tell you. He's been turning lead into silver the past couple of years - now he's got a pile of horse manure and you're complaining he hasn't figured out how to turn it into to gold.

Throw Rick Smith overboard? Yeah, sure. Go right ahead, he should have been gone a long while ago. But O'Brien? He's doing his job, which is to give the team a chance. The guy has frustrating play-calling to be sure, but he's playing not to lose the game. You did see some of those throws Brock made in that Jaguars game, right? You think that might be the reason why he's got such a short leash over the course of the season?

If you want to blame O'Brien for doing too well that we don't get a high enough draft pick to fix our problems, that's one thing, but that's a problem I'd rather have, tbh Laughing


Osweiler first to regress under Brien? No. Hoyer was lookin like a stud on Cleveland. Looked like garbage on Houston. Fitz was also miles better on the Jets once he left Houston, although I understand we're talking about regression under him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Longhorns90


Joined: 28 Oct 2009
Posts: 1373
Location: Denver, CO (via Austin, TX)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing is, I use these wonderful things called 'statistics' to come to my conclusions.

Ryan Fitzpatrick -
Cincinnati, 2008: 221-372, 59.4% completion rating, 1,905 yards, 8 TDs, 9 INTs, 70.0 passer rating in 13 games played
Buffalo, 2009-2012: 1,041-1,742, 59.7% completion rating, 11,654 yards, 80 TDs, 64 INTs, 78.5 passer rating in 55 games played
Tennessee, 2013:, 217-350, 62.0% completion rating, 2,454 yards, 14 TDs, 12 INTs, 82.0 passer rating in 11 games played
Houston, 2014: 197-312, 63.1% completion rating, 2,483 yards, 17 TDs, 8 INTs, 95.3 passer rating in 12 games played
New York, 2015-2016: 563-965, 58.3% completion rating, 6,615 yards, 43 TDs, 32 INTs, 78.8 passer rating in 30 games played

Oh hey, he's got... his best completion rating, his best TD-INT ratio and his best passer rating all under O'Brien! Just like I said.

Brian Hoyer -
Cleveland, 2014: 242-438, 55.3% completion rating, 3,326 yards, 12 TDs, 13 INTs, 76.5 passer rating in 14 games played
Houston, 2015: 224-369, 60.7% completion rating, 2,606 yards, 19 TDs, 7 INTs, 91.4 passer rating, in 11 games played

More INTs than TDs and less than a 60% completion rating, a true 'stud.' That whole 5% increase in completions and the 7 more TDs in 3 less games was a real setback he had here.
_________________
bbllstr22 wrote:
justo wrote:
SUPERB OWL
Darn. I want a superb owl. I only have this POS barn owl. Hedwig would be a major upgrade.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
.Buzz


Joined: 16 Jul 2013
Posts: 3383
Location: Iowa
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayRaider wrote:
Osweiler first to regress under Brien? No. Hoyer was lookin like a stud on Cleveland. Looked like garbage on Houston. Fitz was also miles better on the Jets once he left Houston, although I understand we're talking about regression under him.


Just like O'Brien is "conservative and never goes for it on 4th down," right?

Laughing
_________________

El Ramster on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texansfan713


Joined: 24 Dec 2009
Posts: 42534
Location: Htowntakever
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longhorns90 wrote:
Texansfan713 wrote:
People actually defending O Brien in the NFL General board. Laughing


I can defend him here too, if you'd like. You've deluded yourself if you think we're doing much better with the "talent" we have offense. Our offensive talent is basically limited to two players - Hopkins has been playing out of his mind since he got here considering the trash that's been throwing him the ball. He was due for a regression to the mean at some point, given who's been throwing it to him. And we're probably going to run Lamar Miller into an early grave, given how hard we've been running him into the ground. I wouldn't exactly count on a long shelf-life for him.

What else do we have? Don't seriously tell me you think our tight ends are top flight. Or that the rest of our receiving corps isn't a bunch of various projects and works in progress. Or maybe Alfred Blue or Jonathan Grimes are secret weapons posed to explode out of the backfield when we need a change of pace? Don't make me laugh. I watch all the Texans games too, thank you Sunday Ticket.

Which leads us to the crux of our situation - our inadequacy at the quarterback position, which is Rick Smith's job to fill, not Bill O'Brien's. Whatever input he might have, I somewhat seriously doubt he's the supposed legwork on these decisions. You have to judge him based on what he's been given. And he's done decently, all told. Ryan Fitzpatrick's year with the Texans? Best passer rating in his career, fewest INTs in his career, best completion percentage of his career, best yards per attempt in his career. Brian Hoyer's year with the Texans? Well, he's only had two years as a starter, but guess which year his stats are across the board better in? That's right, in Houston.

Brock Osweiler is the first to regress under O'Brien, but how much of that is because of O'Brien and how much is because he's Brock effing Osweiler, I couldn't tell you. He's been turning lead into silver the past couple of years - now he's got a pile of horse manure and you're complaining he hasn't figured out how to turn it into to gold.

Throw Rick Smith overboard? Yeah, sure. Go right ahead, he should have been gone a long while ago. But O'Brien? He's doing his job, which is to give the team a chance. The guy has frustrating play-calling to be sure, but he's playing not to lose the game. You did see some of those throws Brock made in that Jaguars game, right? You think that might be the reason why he's got such a short leash over the course of the season?

If you want to blame O'Brien for doing too well that we don't get a high enough draft pick to fix our problems, that's one thing, but that's a problem I'd rather have, tbh Laughing


Let's see. Where do I begin. I'll start with Lamar Miller.


We are using Lamar Miller wrong. Anybody with eyes knows this. He isn't an inside runner. We need to make plays for him that calls for him to go on the outside. That's where he excels. Also we don't even take advantage of his speed by running screen plays for him. That's one mistake O'Brien has made.

Hopkins obviously is having a bad year due to the QB situation but lets not act like we don't have other options on defense. Fiedorowicz is finally being used a receiving TE. It shouldn't have to take 3 years for him to finally have a good season. Since O'Brien has been here our TE production has been one of the worst in the league and we hired George Godsey who worked with Gronk and Hernandez. Will Fuller was having a very good start to the season, then he got hurt. Now that he has been back we only use him for short to immediate plays. I haven't seen O'Brien take shots downfield to utilize Fuller in a LONG time. Grimes TBH is our 2nd best back on the roster and O'Brien doesn't even use him.

Rick Smith has imput as the GM but lets not act like O'Brien doesn't as well. Whose decision was it to by pass Bridgewater and Carr and Gurappolo in O'Brien's first draft? Whose decision was it to trade a late pick for Ryan Mallett? What about sign Ryan Fitzpatrick then following it up by signing Brian Hoyer? O'Brien is much at fault as Rick Smith is.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Longhorns90


Joined: 28 Oct 2009
Posts: 1373
Location: Denver, CO (via Austin, TX)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He may be a better outside runner than inside, but no inside threat means they're never going to pay attention to between the tackles. The other option is to have Blue run face first into the defense as well, but if they're comparable inside and Miller's the better big play threat, why not just run Miller? Aside from you know, the prospect of turning him into paste.

None of our tight ends have produced like Gronkowski because, news flash, none of our tight ends are Gronk's caliber. Fiedorowicz is a blocker turned into a receiver by necessity, and Griffin's not exactly blowing anyone out of the water either. Neither are top tier receiving options, and surprise, they're not treated like ones. Presuming that because Godsey worked with guys like Brady and Gronk doesn't make the players he's working with automatically Brady and Gronk caliber.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but we go to Fuller deep once or twice a game, it just never amounts to anything. Because deep shots have never been a high percentage play, it's always risk/reward, and right now Fuller isn't consistent enough on the reward to justify continuously trying at it.

Rick Smith is the one paid to assemble talent, not O'Brien. Rick Smith gets the final say on contracts, not O'Brien. O'Brien recommended guys he knew in FA, I presume, yes, but that doesn't make him the final or even the primary arbiter. The draft is on the scouting and personnel evaluation department, which is again, ultimately Rick Smith's purview.
_________________
bbllstr22 wrote:
justo wrote:
SUPERB OWL
Darn. I want a superb owl. I only have this POS barn owl. Hedwig would be a major upgrade.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Texansfan713


Joined: 24 Dec 2009
Posts: 42534
Location: Htowntakever
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiedorowicz has nearly 600 yards and 4 touchdowns this season. He is just now being utilized as a receiver. His first 2 seasons in the league he wasnt used right. That is on the coaching.

O'Brien has as much say in the 53 man as Rick Smith and whose to say he didnt want to hire Osweiler? Once again continue to defend Bill O'Brien.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group