Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Free Agency
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theJ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
Crowe22 wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:
MrCincinnati wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:
Lap was on the radio yesterday and had some interesting thoughts:

- He says no way we resign both Whit and Zeitler, thinks Whit is the one resigned

- Said we were offered a 2 and 4 for McCarron last year, but wanted a 1 and 4.

- Thinks we bring Peko back

- Wants a rush guy at 9, if not says take a cover guy

If it really comes down to the decision between either Whitworth or Zeitler, I want Zeitler. Whitworth may be the better player, but building for the future is more important. I honestly see no possible way Whitworth will leave.

Getting a 2nd and a 4th for McCarron is as good as it gets. There's no way any team will offer a 1st for him. And after seeing what happened to the Cowboys with Romo and Prescott, I'd rather keep McCarron around anyway.

I disagree with building for the future being more important. With what we have on the roster for OT, we would be screwed for the next few years. We do not have another player who can play LT on this roster. We do have multiple options at G. We have to protect Dalton at all costs and that is Whitworth for me

We wouldn't necessarily be screwed. Too many people want to write Cedric off after a handful of games and that's straight ridiculous. A. Smith was terrible as a rookie and then turned into one of the best RT's in the NFL for like 5 straight years. Fisher should see an increase in snaps at RT and could turn into a serviceable guy and Ced, you know could improve in year 2 of playing.

Sure he could improve, but I am not willing to risk it starting him at LT and Fisher at RT going into next year. We gave up 41 sacks with Whit playing LT and being a top 5 LT this year. Imagine having both Fisher and Ced starting, Dalton would die

Yeah i don't think killing Dalton is a good future move.

I also don't see cap room as the reason Whit and Zeitler can't both be signed. I'll buy that the team may see the Zeitler demands as ridiculous, but no way they can't afford both.

Also, Andre was bad at RT his first year. He wasn't Ced bad. I'm not saying Ced is done, but it would be a really drastic turnaround. I don't think the team can bank on him as the guy to take over for Whit anymore. They have to start developing a 1B (or maybe it's 1A at this time).

If you're not in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?

~T.S. Eliot
Beck Bristow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's the best free agent center? Spend Zeitler money on him.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beck Bristow wrote:
Who's the best free agent center? Spend Zeitler money on him.

Sadly no one very good.

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
Spartan300

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:
Crowe22 wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:
MrCincinnati wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:

- He says no way we resign both Whit and Zeitler, thinks Whit is the one resigned

If it really comes down to the decision between either Whitworth or Zeitler, I want Zeitler. Whitworth may be the better player, but building for the future is more important. I honestly see no possible way Whitworth will leave.

Getting a 2nd and a 4th for McCarron is as good as it gets. There's no way any team will offer a 1st for him. And after seeing what happened to the Cowboys with Romo and Prescott, I'd rather keep McCarron around anyway.

I disagree with building for the future being more important. With what we have on the roster for OT, we would be screwed for the next few years. We do not have another player who can play LT on this roster. We do have multiple options at G. We have to protect Dalton at all costs and that is Whitworth for me

We wouldn't necessarily be screwed. Too many people want to write Cedric off after a handful of games and that's straight ridiculous. A. Smith was terrible as a rookie and then turned into one of the best RT's in the NFL for like 5 straight years. Fisher should see an increase in snaps at RT and could turn into a serviceable guy and Ced, you know could improve in year 2 of playing.

Sure he could improve, but I am not willing to risk it starting him at LT and Fisher at RT going into next year. We gave up 41 sacks with Whit playing LT and being a top 5 LT this year. Imagine having both Fisher and Ced starting, Dalton would die

Yeah i don't think killing Dalton is a good future move.

I also don't see cap room as the reason Whit and Zeitler can't both be signed. I'll buy that the team may see the Zeitler demands as ridiculous, but no way they can't afford both.

Also, Andre was bad at RT his first year. He wasn't Ced bad. I'm not saying Ced is done, but it would be a really drastic turnaround. I don't think the team can bank on him as the guy to take over for Whit anymore. They have to start developing a 1B (or maybe it's 1A at this time).

Exactly. We can afford both and we should keep both. I would hate to let Zeitler walk after drafting and developing him while he is still in his prime. That's a lot of money for a guard but OL is a position I don't mind investing in. At the very least tag him for this year.
Crowe22

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
Crowe22 wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:
MrCincinnati wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:

Ok I get that, but you can't just keep replacing the same position year after year because a player has a rough start for like 10-11 games. It's why Cleveland continues to suck, because they give up on their qb's and coaches after a year, granted they tend to also draft bad consistently. However what I'm saying is let him play next year and if it's as bad as this year than sign someone or make that a priority the following draft. I mean the guy is a 1st round pick with less than a season of games played, the front office is not going to replace him, I mean they've stuck with Bodine for 3 years who was a 4th round pick.
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree you dont replace Ced or give up on him yet, but I disagree that we let Whit walk and give Ced the starting job. He can start at RT next year and see if he improves, but i am absolutely against starting Fisher and Ced both at T next year. That is a death wish.

Also, an elite LT is one of the toughest positions to get that is what makes guys like Whit so valuable. If we let him walk and start Ced and he fails, then we either draft a rookie LT again or pay a kings ransom for a free agent LT.

Beck Bristow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the Oline together as much as possible. Add a vet center if possible. Use Ced as the 6th lineman. Hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also not like the only time the coaches see these guys is in the games. They practice, a lot. They know whether Ced can compete or not.

What i'm saying is they don't have to let him play next year to see if he improves in the offseason. Mini-camps and training camp will tell a lot.

If you're not in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?

~T.S. Eliot
MrCincinnati

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvin Lewis said today that expect an open competition for the starting Kicker job.

They seem interested in re-signing Bullock still, but he will have to earn the job this time. I would also have to guess that means they won't be drafting a kicker very high either.
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCincinnati wrote:
Marvin Lewis said today that expect an open competition for the starting Kicker job.

They seem interested in re-signing Bullock still, but he will have to earn the job this time. I would also have to guess that means they won't be drafting a kicker very high either.

I can see us using a 6 or 7 on one. But that shouldn't guarantee them a job. Ross Martin who a lot of people liked signed with the Jets this week

MrCincinnati

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
MrCincinnati wrote:

I can see us using a 6 or 7 on one. But that shouldn't guarantee them a job. Ross Martin who a lot of people liked signed with the Jets this week

There's only 1 guy in the draft that could be the answer, and that's Zane Gonzales. 23 for 25 on FG's in 2016. His only 2 misses were 50 or more yards. Also he was 7 for 9 when it came to 50 or more yards on FG's. Doesn't get any better than that.

Me personally I wouldn't touch a kicker till maybe the 5th round, but he might not make it that far.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCincinnati wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:
MrCincinnati wrote:

There's only 1 guy in the draft that could be the answer, and that's Zane Gonzales. 23 for 25 on FG's in 2016. His only 2 misses were 50 or more yards. Also he was 7 for 9 when it came to 50 or more yards on FG's. Doesn't get any better than that.

Me personally I wouldn't touch a kicker till maybe the 5th round, but he might not make it that far.

We have three picks in the fifth round. I love Gonzales. I had him in a mock off season a few weeks ago. Everyone on Cincy Jungle wants Carlson, and I'd be fine with him too.
MrCincinnati

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
MrCincinnati wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:
MrCincinnati wrote:

We have three picks in the fifth round. I love Gonzales. I had him in a mock off season a few weeks ago. Everyone on Cincy Jungle wants Carlson, and I'd be fine with him too.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Carlson won't be entering the draft. So its Gonzalez or nothing IMO.

And we don't know for sure what comp picks we get yet. They were suppose to have 1 last year and they didn't get any.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is a junior, so who knows. Haven't followed the "who's coming out early" news much.
MrCincinnati

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some notes today.

*Redskins wanted to interview Paul Guenther to be there DC, but the Bengals denied them permission.

*It is unlikely the Bengals will use there franchise tag. Reason being is because slapping the tag on an OL player would cost 14.4 mil, and on a CB it would be 14.3 mil. Surprisingly, if they were to use the tag, it would most likely be on Kirkpatrick, not Zeitler or Whitworth.

The decision to choose between Zeitler and Whitworth is going to be a very very tough one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: