Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Harold Goodwin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
.Buzz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Harold Goodwin Reply with quote

So, I don't think he will end up being the guy when everything is said and done with our coach search but today he's coming in for an interview. I know Arians holds him in high regard and has worked under him for a long time now. He seems like a seriously bright guy, and I know Arians loved Bortles during the draft process. If he can fix him this team could get turned around.

What do you guys think of Goodwin as a HC candidate?

El Ramster on the sig
Cards_FTW

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean he's a glorified offensive line coach. Considering the amount of injuries our line has suffered this year I think he deserves some credit for keeping the unit semi-competent. Our center is the only player who started every game and we had multiple players start games at multiple positions.

As for Bortles, I don't see Goodwin being the guy to fix him as he's never really worked with the QB position(Tom Moore/BA do it here), and would lead to my concern with Goodwin as a head coach -> what kind of staff could he build? Having worked essentially under Arians hasn't really let him build a rep around the league and is still relatively inexperienced at the NFL level. When Bruce Arians built the Cardinals staff it was a very underwhelming list of names besides Tom Moore and Todd Bowles. Sure, Goodwin and DC James Bettcher have become known since but they were essentially nobodies before.

Goodwin has done what has been asked of him. Nobody knows if he's capable of the next step unless he's given it. I would be concerned though with what kind of staff he could put together, as his coordinators would likely have significant influence. I don't think he'll get a head coaching job but his name has been out there, he gets interviews, and fulfills the Rooney rule.
.Buzz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cards_FTW wrote:
I mean he's a glorified offensive line coach. Considering the amount of injuries our line has suffered this year I think he deserves some credit for keeping the unit semi-competent. Our center is the only player who started every game and we had multiple players start games at multiple positions.

As for Bortles, I don't see Goodwin being the guy to fix him as he's never really worked with the QB position(Tom Moore/BA do it here), and would lead to my concern with Goodwin as a head coach -> what kind of staff could he build? Having worked essentially under Arians hasn't really let him build a rep around the league and is still relatively inexperienced at the NFL level. When Bruce Arians built the Cardinals staff it was a very underwhelming list of names besides Tom Moore and Todd Bowles. Sure, Goodwin and DC James Bettcher have become known since but they were essentially nobodies before.

Goodwin has done what has been asked of him. Nobody knows if he's capable of the next step unless he's given it. I would be concerned though with what kind of staff he could put together, as his coordinators would likely have significant influence. I don't think he'll get a head coaching job but his name has been out there, he gets interviews, and fulfills the Rooney rule.

Interesting, thanks for the response.

I just have heard his name for a couple years now. All I hear is how highly respected he is. I mean he worked in PIT, IND, and ARI under Arians so I'd imagine he has some connections...but you saying the staff Arians got originally was underwhelming to look at.

Guess we'll see.

El Ramster on the sig
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Buzz wrote:
Cards_FTW wrote:

Interesting, thanks for the response.

I just have heard his name for a couple years now. All I hear is how highly respected he is. I mean he worked in PIT, IND, and ARI under Arians so I'd imagine he has some connections...but you saying the staff Arians got originally was underwhelming to look at.

Guess we'll see.

He gets a lot of looks as a Rooney Rule candidate too. But I mean, he has Arians's blessing so that has to count for something... if you still think Arians is a good coach that is

#JDI
Boise&cards Fan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone has already said he nothing more then a glorified OL coach as he nlooks not call plays here in Arizona. BA does all that.
11sanchez11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BA does let him call plays in 3, or maybe two, of the preseason games the last couple years. So he does have a little experience there.

El ramster on the sig
.Buzz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boise&cards Fan wrote:
As someone has already said he nothing more then a glorified OL coach as he nlooks not call plays here in Arizona. BA does all that.

That's generally what happens when a guy is behind a HC of the magnitude of BA. Not his fault. He has worked under one of the better minds at HC for the last 10 years and has done some solid work on the OL. Everytime I see his name people question his experience but say how highly regarded he is.

After Gus Bradley, I'm a bit skeptical going for someone like this, but he does seem like a legitimate candidate. He's interviewing in Buffalo and LA I believe as well. Considering Anthony Lynn is the favorite in Buffalo, and LA also requested to interview Vance Joseph, and the rumors that Jacksonville has interest in interviewing Lynn on top of that, I don't think this is just a "RR guy".

Plus, I don't think he needs to have playcalling exp. to be a HC exactly. It'd help his resume for sure, but if he comes in as a HC it's more so about how he leads the team/runs the team. Not all HC's call the plays. But I do legitimately wonder what type of OC/DC he has in his back pocket/if Arians would help him finding legit guys in that department.

El Ramster on the sig
CardsNCats

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, he does not do much here. Mike Tomlin didn't do much in Minnesota though and he is a great coach.
LuckyNumber11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Buzz wrote:
Boise&cards Fan wrote:

That's generally what happens when a guy is behind a HC of the magnitude of BA. Not his fault. He has worked under one of the better minds at HC for the last 10 years and has done some solid work on the OL. Everytime I see his name people question his experience but say how highly regarded he is.

After Gus Bradley, I'm a bit skeptical going for someone like this, but he does seem like a legitimate candidate. He's interviewing in Buffalo and LA I believe as well. Considering Anthony Lynn is the favorite in Buffalo, and LA also requested to interview Vance Joseph, and the rumors that Jacksonville has interest in interviewing Lynn on top of that, I don't think this is just a "RR guy".

Plus, I don't think he needs to have playcalling exp. to be a HC exactly. It'd help his resume for sure, but if he comes in as a HC it's more so about how he leads the team/runs the team. Not all HC's call the plays. But I do legitimately wonder what type of OC/DC he has in his back pocket/if Arians would help him finding legit guys in that department.

I personally would expect one of our assitants on the defensive side to become his defensive coordinator. I'd look at Buckner or Rapone. As far as offensive coordinator, your guess is as good as mine.

#JDI
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per Josina Anderson (A proven, credible source), Goodwin will interview for the Rams HC vacancy on Thursday and with the Buffalo Bills brass on Saturday.

Hard to say whether he's a serious candidate at this point but with Anthony Lynn getting an interview in Buffalo and Teryl Austin and Vance Joseph both getting interviews in LA, we know he's not just there to satisfy the Rooney Rule. Stayed tuned.
Jlash

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CardsNCats wrote:
As others have said, he does not do much here. Mike Tomlin didn't do much in Minnesota though and he is a great coach.

This is a good point. John Harbaugh was the special teams coach before he got a HC gig and he's done ok.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come to learn being a good head coach is mutually exclusive from being a coordinator.

It's a lot more planning, having a team around you, delegations, knowing both sides of the football or trusting your staff to do work there on your behalf.

It's about not putting your fingers into parts of the pie you don't know. It's why you can have a guy like John Harbaugh be a good coach and it's why you can have guys like Josh McDaniels struggle as a head man.

Honestly having good connections as a head coach and having The ability to hire gun assistants might be the most important thing in you bring to the table.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug Marrone got hired by Jacksonville. That is one spot gone.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like he's somewhere in the mix for the Buffalo gig, with Anthony Lynn and Sean McDermott leading the pack.

NO CLUE where he may or may not stand in LA.
stchamp98

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With McDermott landing the Buffalo gig and Washington OC Sean McVay locking down a second interview with the Rams, Goodwin may be out of opportunities this year.

Unless of course, Terry McDonough wants to make him a package deal...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Arizona Cardinals All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: