Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Washington Redskins Off Season - Updates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian23

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A TRAIN 89 wrote:
Looks like the Redskins signed a new DB coach:

Torrian Gray, who was the UF Gators DB coach last year and previously the VT Hokies DB coach for 12 years.

Has a nice resumé and seems to be well-revered by football people across the league. From what I know about both VT and UF defenses, they employ their DBs to be physical at the line. If that is the case, that is a breath of fresh air from the old days of 12 yard cushions. I also think it lines up well with the strength's of our DBs, especially Norman and Breeland.

another bonus is that he also coached Kendall Fuller...hopefully he can get the best out of him.

I like the hire...thoughts?

Dunno if this is the topic, but apparently VT never coached its DB to turn their head to look at the ball in the air. It was a routine knock on Fuller when we first drafted him, I hope that wasn't something he personally employed as there's no way that works at the NFL level.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian23 wrote:
A TRAIN 89 wrote:

Torrian Gray, who was the UF Gators DB coach last year and previously the VT Hokies DB coach for 12 years.

Has a nice resumé and seems to be well-revered by football people across the league. From what I know about both VT and UF defenses, they employ their DBs to be physical at the line. If that is the case, that is a breath of fresh air from the old days of 12 yard cushions. I also think it lines up well with the strength's of our DBs, especially Norman and Breeland.

another bonus is that he also coached Kendall Fuller...hopefully he can get the best out of him.

Dunno if this is the topic, but apparently VT never coached its DB to turn their head to look at the ball in the air. It was a routine knock on Fuller when we first drafted him, I hope that wasn't something he personally employed as there's no way that works at the NFL level.
All corners in college are taught that way because you're allowed face guard in college.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mike23md

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this could mean a sighting of Quincy Wilson and Marcus Maye in the secondary?

Glad they hired someone.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Brian23 wrote:
A TRAIN 89 wrote:

All corners in college are taught that way because you're allowed face guard in college.

Don't actually watch NCAA football so I'm not sure, it was just a noted thing on Fuller that was not something that's been noted about any other DB prospects we've had. It was something that routinely hit on being a necessity to fix and, if he could, what would lead him to being a successful NFL DB.
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
So this could mean a sighting of Quincy Wilson and Marcus Maye in the secondary?

Glad they hired someone.
I'd love for them to draft Quincy Wilson or Marcus Maye, but I think taking them at 17 is too high and I don't think they'll last to our pick in round 2. I really hope them, Marcus Williams, Budda Baker or Justin Evans do though. I've been checking out Wilson recently and from what I can tell he can be the big corner that McCloughan likes or he he can play FS. I guess where he would play would all depend on what we did in FA and how Breeland and Fuller look.

Last edited by turtle28 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A TRAIN 89 wrote:

As a neutral observer, it's a homerun hire based on his college track record. Was one of the best DB developers in college football. I'm a Gator fan, and I'm very disappointed that we lost him.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Licht retires

He is going out the right way (see statement below.)

D Hall- perhaps you should also take this path?

http://www.hogshaven.com/2017/2/10/14577246/redskins-center-kory-lichtensteiger-retires-from-nfl

“After much thought and consideration, I have decided to retire from the National Football League. I am grateful beyond words to the Washington Redskins organization. I would like to thank the ownership as a whole and specifically Dan Snyder and his family for the opportunity to play the bulk of my career here in Washington.

“I have had many great coaches and teammates and I owe a great deal to many people for helping me make a career in this league. For any newcomer or unestablished player to hang around, he has to have people who believe in him. I will forever be grateful to Mike Shanahan and Jay Gruden for giving me that trust.

“I want to say thank you to the wonderful fans of the Washington Redskins. My chapter is ending, but there are great things happening in the organization! There is a lot to be excited for and I am ready to join the already great fan base in cheering for this team!

“I want to thank the entirety of my family for all their unwavering support and love. Surely, none of this would have been possible without them. Thank you to my agent, who has been with me through good times and bad.

“Finally, I would like to thank Bruce Allen and Scot McCloughan. When I came to them after the season and shared my thoughts, they were extremely gracious and agreed to let me to ‘retire a Redskin.’ This is a great business, but it is indeed a business. And for that reason, I am thankful to be treated as family in the final hour of my playing career. Hail to the Redskins!”
turtle28

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Draper wrote:
Licht retires

http://www.hogshaven.com/2017/2/10/14577246/redskins-center-kory-lichtensteiger-retires-from-nfl

“After much thought and consideration, I have decided to retire from the National Football League. I am grateful beyond words to the Washington Redskins organization. I would like to thank the ownership as a whole and specifically Dan Snyder and his family for the opportunity to play the bulk of my career here in Washington.

“I have had many great coaches and teammates and I owe a great deal to many people for helping me make a career in this league. For any newcomer or unestablished player to hang around, he has to have people who believe in him. I will forever be grateful to Mike Shanahan and Jay Gruden for giving me that trust.

“I want to say thank you to the wonderful fans of the Washington Redskins. My chapter is ending, but there are great things happening in the organization! There is a lot to be excited for and I am ready to join the already great fan base in cheering for this team!

“I want to thank the entirety of my family for all their unwavering support and love. Surely, none of this would have been possible without them. Thank you to my agent, who has been with me through good times and bad.

“Finally, I would like to thank Bruce Allen and Scot McCloughan. When I came to them after the season and shared my thoughts, they were extremely gracious and agreed to let me to ‘retire a Redskin.’ This is a great business, but it is indeed a business. And for that reason, I am thankful to be treated as family in the final hour of my playing career. Hail to the Redskins!”
Class Act. It defintiely was time for him.

PSID412

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Doc Draper wrote:
Licht retires

Class Act. It defintiely was time for him.

Agree he was never a star but he was a solid piece good luck to him in whatever he does next.

^ Awesome sig by Mike23md
A TRAIN 89

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a lot of stank coming from Ashburn. A clear power struggle between Bruce Allen and Scot McCloughan with Allen's decision to block McCloughan's media spots at the Combine.

This whole thing could fall apart this year if we do not win.
DCRED

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A TRAIN 89 wrote:
There seems to be a lot of stank coming from Ashburn. A clear power struggle between Bruce Allen and Scot McCloughan with Allen's decision to block McCloughan's media spots at the Combine.

This whole thing could fall apart this year if we do not win.

If we lose McCloughan because we keep Allen's meddling bighead and he couldn't play nice.... I am probably done with this team

We already have a team owner I hate. I don't want to despise the entire Front Office.
Sassan11

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a link to the article but I read that Cousins is thinking of just signing the franchise tag this year and leaving. Apparently he is pissed that the team still doesn't believe in him and I believe that is mostly coming from Bruce Allen.

Considering McVay and Shanahan are head coaches, both of them would have interest in him next year (if Goff doesn't pan out). If we don't get a long term deal with Cousins this year i'm hoping San Fran signs him to a deal while he is under the tag so we get something for him, because I don't see us signing him next year.

If he has to play out the season why wouldn't he test the market next year and go to the highest bidder?
21 ALL THE WAY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sassan11 wrote:
I don't have a link to the article but I read that Cousins is thinking of just signing the franchise tag this year and leaving. Apparently he is pissed that the team still doesn't believe in him and I believe that is mostly coming from Bruce Allen.

Considering McVay and Shanahan are head coaches, both of them would have interest in him next year (if Goff doesn't pan out). If we don't get a long term deal with Cousins this year i'm hoping San Fran signs him to a deal while he is under the tag so we get something for him, because I don't see us signing him next year.

If he has to play out the season why wouldn't he test the market next year and go to the highest bidder?

If the highest bidder wants him why would they let him play here another year in the Tag? Get your guy now Shanahan or McVay? If Bruce is the one deciding if Cousins stays or goes why do we need SM? If anything I think Bruce may be more unwilling to sign Cousins for the money he is asking for oppose to just saying I don't want Kirk here long term.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this thread has been hijacked into the new "Cousins" thread Laughing Laughing Laughing ,,,OK, I'll add to it .. I agree with this story.
I think he's done here .

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/02/22/nfl-network-analyst-better-than-50-percent-chance-kirk-cousins-leaves-washington-this-year/
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIs should not turn into a KC thread. Mike23 & Thai didn't even want people discussing much opinion in this thread, just news.

If people want to discuss KC, start a new thread or at worst discuss it in the 2017 Free Agency thread.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: