Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Coach Change Impact On QB
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elliot878

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:21 am    Post subject: Coach Change Impact On QB Reply with quote

With a new coaching staff coming to Denver, it means the QB position will be re-evaluated. Brownie points earned are now out the window, and the competition is back to square one. Everyone will be even in the playbook.

It seems Siemian is an opportunist. He saw the opening with a weak veteran and a rookie QB heading and attacked the offseason and beat out a first round vet and a first round rookie for the job - and then kept it. Even in week 17 as a seeming act of defiance, he played his way into all of the reps when Lynch was supposed to get 50%.

For Lynch, I think if he's to succeed at this level, he'll have to treat the offseason the way Siemian did this year. Learn the playbook front to back, and get better in every single aspect the way Siemian did from year one to year two.

Lynch has the upside, he has the draft investment and Elway and the coach will likely give him extended opportunity to win the job based on that. With that said my money is still on Siemian. I've seen him make major strides in one offseason, I think he'll do it again. I'm getting the impression that he is not the type to relinquish a job easily.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thread Elliot.

I think a lot of these questions cannot be answered because we don't know who our head coach and offensive coordinator are going to be and thus what type of offensive scheme we will run. If we pick a HC and/or OC from whose cut from the WCO school, like Shanahan or Bevell, that will give Siemian a little bit of an edge because he as a 13.5 to 2.5 games played advantage over Lynch.

But if we go another route and pick a defensive coach like Joseph or Austin or someone from another offensive school, like Todd Haley or Scott Linehan, I think that favors Lynch because of his physical upside.

This is just a gut feeling, but I think Elway hires someone from the offensive side of the ball. I also think he would prefer to hire a HC who will keep most of the defensive staff intact. Even if Wade retires or decides to go coach somewhere else, guys like Bill Kollar and Joe Woods are in-house candidates to be promoted to DC.

bhslinebacker wrote:
AAA is right, as he usually is.
thebestever6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Lynch will make extreme strides this off season too improve his fundamentals off the game. I think not getting reps yesterday was a positive because it keeps a chip on his shoulder and leaves a sour taste in his mouth and he's gonna be motivated for sure. Lynch came out after a Junior in a college offense. Two strikes against him. I think a red shirt year was always necessary. Honestly, my money is on Lynch.

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paxton is going to have to WAYYY more than what Siemien did last year in studying film and learning the playbook. Because I imagine Siemien will also be doing what he can to get better for next year. I am not sure what the Broncos do when Siemien cements himself as the guy.
paul-mac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd target a coach who can develop Paxton, sign a decent veteran backup/mentor and then see if we can't get a high pick for Siemian.

If the Patriots are seeking a 1st & 4th for Garoppolo then we can surely get a 2nd or 3rd for Trevor

Fify.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk about trading Siemian is really premature. Not just because there are no guarantees that Lynch will need more development time (which is entirely possible), but even if that happens, contenders need a capable NFL backup.

One look at what happened to PIT & OAK when their starting QB's went down this year with pretty awful backup QB's should serve as reminder that ideally contenders have 2 capable QB's.
elliot878

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncofan wrote:
Talk about trading Siemian is really premature. Not just because there are no guarantees that Lynch will need more development time (which is entirely possible), but even if that happens, contenders need a capable NFL backup.

One look at what happened to PIT & OAK when their starting QB's went down this year with pretty awful backup QB's should serve as reminder that ideally contenders have 2 capable QB's.

Yea there's no point at all in shopping Siemian when first he's super cheap and locked up, second we have no idea if Paxton is any good.

Paxton doesn't strike me as the type to put the study work in, at least not to the level we know Siemian does.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^indeed. I heard that Siemien plans on studying every throw he made this past year in the off season. Gotta love that kind of dedication...and the thing is about that is...the other players will see it too; it is what leaders do.
mke1010

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems Siemian learned more in one year from Peyton than Brock did in 3 years. All Osweiler learned was how to talk at a presser and and act like a leader. He just never learned anything within the margins of the football field.
thebestever6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mke1010 wrote:
Seems Siemian learned more in one year from Peyton than Brock did in 3 years. All Osweiler learned was how to talk at a presser and and act like a leader. He just never learned anything within the margins of the football field.

that's a 7th round pick too imagine if we took Carr in 2014 like pats did with Brisset hopefully Paxton learns from Trevor.

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paxton will have to double what Siemien plans to do in the off season...not sure how that will work out for him. I hope he does it too...I would love to see Paxton surpass Siemien...just think Siemien is here to stay; he was also named a captain already for the Broncos.

The only scenario I see where Siemien might lose the job is if the Broncos hire Mike McCoy and there is somehow some kind of trade manufactured by the Chargers that would send Rivers to the Broncos. But, even then...(and as much as I would applaud having Rivers at QB, because he is one of my favorites)...do you give up on a promising young QB for the sure thing in an older Rivers?
broncodad313

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you guys being serious? I think it's wide open for the qb position. Kubiak stuck with his guys, Trevor was his guy. I believe Paxton is Elways guy. Trevor lead them to a 4-6 record down the stretch. Trevor is limited physically, I love him as a quality back up but not a starter.
ElJefe7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncodad313 wrote:
Are you guys being serious? I think it's wide open for the qb position. Kubiak stuck with his guys, Trevor was his guy. I believe Paxton is Elways guy. Trevor lead them to a 4-6 record down the stretch. Trevor is limited physically, I love him as a quality back up but not a starter.

While I agree with you to an extent, Paxton Lynch is nowhere close to ready to lead an NFL offense. He has all the tools but he isn't ready yet. That could change, but I would bet on Trevor starting the year
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElJefe7 wrote:
broncodad313 wrote:

While I agree with you to an extent, Paxton Lynch is nowhere close to ready to lead an NFL offense. He has all the tools but he isn't ready yet. That could change, but I would bet on Trevor starting the year

Paxton is no where close now, I agree with that. Kubiak had to start and play Trevor this year. And Trevor was also much more of a professional - doing the work, putting in extra time, taking extra reps, asking the right questions - etc.

The concerns at Dove Valley are that Paxton, for all his gifts, doesn't work and prepare hard enough. Hearing that reminded me of another QB who had unbelievable physical skills but didn't want it enough, didn't care enough and wasn't willing to put in enough work.

bhslinebacker wrote:
AAA is right, as he usually is.
thebestever6

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:
ElJefe7 wrote:
broncodad313 wrote:

Paxton is no where close now, I agree with that. Kubiak had to start and play Trevor this year. And Trevor was also much more of a professional - doing the work, putting in extra time, taking extra reps, asking the right questions - etc.

The concerns at Dove Valley are that Paxton, for all his gifts, doesn't work and prepare hard enough. Hearing that reminded me of another QB who had unbelievable physical skills but didn't want it enough, didn't care enough and wasn't willing to put in enough work.

Rg3 Cutler? Paxton biggest flaw coming out that scareday me were his wonderlic score of 18 that was low.

Big Palooka wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: