Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Regular season reflections. My 10 thoughts.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dolphinmeister

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Regular season reflections. My 10 thoughts. Reply with quote

As I reflect on the regular season here are some of my thoughts.
1. I never dreamed this team would be 10 - 6 and make the playoffs.
2. The slow start by the offense almost every game has got to be corrected by the coach.
3. A lot of people talk about what a great job V.J has done with the defense and I just do not see it, yes he plugged in a lot of different people that played good I give him that. But this defense got outscored badly in the first half about every game, could not stop the run and could not cover the middle of the field and honestly did not pressure QB's on a consistent basis game in and game out.. This D gave up 30 or more points 5 times and 22 to 29 points 7 other games so in 12 of 16 games Miami had to score 3 touchdowns and a field goal just to have a chance to win.
4. Miami swept the Bills and Jets but got swept by the Pats so no real satisfaction there for me, I hope Gase can figure a way to beat the Pats in the future or they are still in trouble in the division.
5. Miami needs at least 2 linebackers in a big way maybe even 3, that is the glaring weakness to me at this point on the team. Safeties will get healthy and little better depth in the secondary is needed but Miami needs some big physical LB's that can run support and crush the crossing receiver.
6. I love the new feel of the Gase era and hope it continues next season.
7. Another draft like the last 2 and worry about resigning our own free agent talent first and build depth through free agency would be awesome.
8. I am so glad to start the Gase era with a playoff berth and hope it only continues in season's to come.
9. I think Miami can beat Pittsburgh, but honestly I will really be surprised if they do.

10. What fun it has been to go through the holiday season watching meaningful Dolphins football games. Fins up!
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like Dolphins fans are high on Gase, mainly due to the very strong finish to the season. Yet, the coaching on defense seems pretty bad and the offense is inconsistent (slow starts, sloppy penalties etc). That stuff should fall to Gase and his staff, no?

Clearly a successful year for the staff and the players, but I do wonder if Gase is getting a little too much credit for the team's success down the stretch given the types of flaws the team has.
iothar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think the sloppiness comes from a few bad apples and the first year of putting in a system.
freak_of_nature

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to be all negative, but 9 of our 10 wins came against teams with losing records.

As a matter of fact, we played only 4 teams that had winning records this season, and I'm counting the Patriots twice. So, technically three teams: NE, PIT, TEN.

Record vs winning teams: 1-3
Record vs non-winning teams: 9-3

I don't expect to do better than 10-6 next season, even if our team is actually better. We played the 2 weakest divisions (NFC W & AFC N), the Bills and Jets were down, and the two last place finishers of other divisions from last season(SD & TEN). The schedule was tailor-made or a winning season.

Next season we play the AFC West, NFC South, TEN, and BAL (The 2nd place teams from the AFC South and AFC North)

With all that being said, I'm excited about this team's future.
Daryl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think you guys realize we lost EIGHT starters to injury this season on both sides of the ball. Ok 7 Maxwell is out temporarily but the rest are on IR. That can not be understated. The sloppiness comes from playing with inexperienced backups not coaching. R. Jones and Pouncey both being huge parts of this team are not easily replaced. They are among the best in the league at their positions.
Players we lost:

QB Ryan Tannehill
S Reshad Jones
S Isa Abdul Quddus
CB Byron Maxwell
LB Koa Misi
LB Jelani Jenkins
C Mike Pouncey
TE Jordan Cameron

I dont care what anyone says last year this team was a 6-10 mess and they would have lost all these close games we won this year and honestly after starting 1-4 they probably would have folded and not won another game.

They only play the teams on the schedule so I could careless about the records of the other teams. Its about US winning or losing. On any given Sunday any team in the NFL can be beaten.
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Seems like Dolphins fans are high on Gase, mainly due to the very strong finish to the season. Yet, the coaching on defense seems pretty bad and the offense is inconsistent (slow starts, sloppy penalties etc). That stuff should fall to Gase and his staff, no?

Clearly a successful year for the staff and the players, but I do wonder if Gase is getting a little too much credit for the team's success down the stretch given the types of flaws the team has.

It's funny but it sounds like Vance Joseph is the front runner to the Broncos job. Despite the fact our defensive secondary is woeful.

Nacho Simulation Football League
ericsvibe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:

It's funny but it sounds like Vance Joseph is the front runner to the Broncos job. Despite the fact our defensive secondary is woeful.

After the Patriots game, the camera panned to Gase who was talking to Matt Patricia, the DC of the Patriots, both had their mouths covered to hide what they were talking about. Once the producer saw what was going on, they cut the camera away. What were our HC and the DC of your bitter rival discussing after the game?

To fans who don't follow the Dolphins, you guys won't understand our perspective. You don't know how long the Dolphins have searched for a talented HC. We have been stuck with HC that have undermined the team, and been to afraid to make the tough decisions. We had a HC that loved to punt the football, one who seemed to love field goals more than TD's, one who was soo afraid of outspoken black men that he tried to get rid of everyone on the team. We have lived through a joke.

Gase has not only erased all of those problems, he has somehow taken the bad news bears of the NFL and coached a heck of a season out of them. He is a student of the game. He learns what works, what doesn't, and makes changes. Even when he wins he isn't happy, there is allways something to fix. Some of the biggest players have endorsed him. After the Patriots game, I saw several Patriots players find and hug Gase. His players respect him even when they are no longer on his team. We have hit a home run here.
freak_of_nature

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dp

Last edited by freak_of_nature on Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
cddolphin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:

Leave it to a Pats fan to come poke at Gase, a prime Coach of the Year candidate, because his defense struggled with 4+ starters out most of the year.

Enjoy the next couple years. Belichick is 64 and Gase is 38.. tick-tock, tick-tock
cddolphin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freak_of_nature wrote:

Well-coached teams will consistently beat bad teams. How many times over the past decade have we complained about the Dolphins playing down to their level of competition? That wasn't the case this season.

10 wins is about 3 more than they should've gotten, given personnel and injuries.

The arrow is pointing up, regardless of the outcome this coming weekend.
Dolphinmeister

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
freak_of_nature wrote:

Well-coached teams will consistently beat bad teams. How many times over the past decade have we complained about the Dolphins playing down to their level of competition? That wasn't the case this season.

10 wins is about 3 more than they should've gotten, given personnel and injuries.

The arrow is pointing up, regardless of the outcome this coming weekend.

Yes! How many years have we been watching the Dolphins lose to bad teams, they will never learn to beat good teams until they can beat bad teams and I saw them turn the corner on that this year. I also would love for this team to go 10 and 6 agian next year because the schedule will be harder and opponents will not be taking Miami lightly next year.
Rgossett07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any true Dolphins fan that sees any part of this season as a disappointment should go find another team to [inappropriate/removed] about.

Losing Reshad Jones was devestating for that defense. He is a Top 3 safety in the game. Teams exposed that injury all season.

The fact that they found a running game without Pouncey, the unquestioned leader and perennial Pro Bowler in the OL is amazing. We should be thanking whoever leaked the mask-bong video of Tunsil. He is dominating.

Tannehill is never going to be Aaron Rodgers. But Aaron Rodgers doesn't have the same OL or a RB1 like Miami. Tannehill is the right guy. He will only get more comfortable next season. Remember, he went through four OC in five years. Finally some continuity.

The Mario Williams experiment didn't work, but we found out Cameron Wake can still play at a very high level. You can find an "experiment" on all 32 NFL teams that didn't work.

I posted in a different thread about the Dolphins needs. It's evident LB and DB depth is needed very badly. If we draft anything but LB or CB in the first couple rounds, I'll be disappointed.

Beyond Lippett and Howard, who both have played well in a very small sample size, the cupboard is bare. Maxwell will get cut or he will need to take a significant pay cut to stick around. If it were me, I would let him walk. He is just too slow.
Daryl

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rgossett07 Wrote:

Quote:
Any true Dolphins fan that sees any part of this season as a disappointment should go find another team to [inappropriate/removed] about.

Losing Reshad Jones was devestating for that defense. He is a Top 3 safety in the game. Teams exposed that injury all season.

The fact that they found a running game without Pouncey, the unquestioned leader and perennial Pro Bowler in the OL is amazing. We should be thanking whoever leaked the mask-bong video of Tunsil. He is dominating.

Tannehill is never going to be Aaron Rodgers. But Aaron Rodgers doesn't have the same OL or a RB1 like Miami. Tannehill is the right guy. He will only get more comfortable next season. Remember, he went through four OC in five years. Finally some continuity.

The Mario Williams experiment didn't work, but we found out Cameron Wake can still play at a very high level. You can find an "experiment" on all 32 NFL teams that didn't work.

I posted in a different thread about the Dolphins needs. It's evident LB and DB depth is needed very badly. If we draft anything but LB or CB in the first couple rounds, I'll be disappointed.

Beyond Lippett and Howard, who both have played well in a very small sample size, the cupboard is bare. Maxwell will get cut or he will need to take a significant pay cut to stick around. If it were me, I would let him walk. He is just too slow.

I couldn't agree more. Im not a huge Tannehill fan but he is serviceable and will get better behind a goo OL so I can live with him. Lets not forget its not about stats its about wins and loses. He could throw for a million yards I dont care what we need him to do is lead much like dare I say Alex Smith.

I dont get all the love for Maxwell he is hot garbage I really hope they can find a replacement for him in the off season.
bpastermack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of Maxwell's money is gtd next year. He will be gone in 2018, but will likely still be a Phin next season.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bpastermack wrote:
Most of Maxwell's money is gtd next year. He will be gone in 2018, but will likely still be a Phin next season.

The Phins have enough holes to fill, plus some big free agency decisions to make. CB can wait until the 2018 season. I know many on here want to see major changes, but with Howard, Lippett, and McCain still growing in their roles, and with the veteran Maxwell on board, this isn't a dire need. Quddus and Jones will be back next year to shore up the back half. The real work is needed in the front 7. I don't think the front office wants to pay Jenkins, so he could walk. The same with Paysinger. Branch is going to get big money, and Williams will not be retained.

So the Phins need 2 DE's, 2 LB's, and 1 DT. That is allot of resources.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: