Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Time to go Coach Shopping
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chargerbuckeye

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highboltage55 wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:
kyle21121 wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:
Sean McDermott please

That's what I'd like as well. I'm warming to the idea of Toub but of the other guys were targeting I'm a little under enthused. I just wanna feel inspired for a moment instead of having to talk myself into it.

Hiring toub means likely keeping Pagano. I WANT PAGANO OFF THE CHARGERS

In what way does that mean that? Toub isn't going to just keep everyone/everything else in place and make no changes if he gets to be the HC....lol

It sounds like toub is interviewing with Denver, and tbh, he may leave Elway office as the next coach of the Denver Donkeys

If we can't land Toub then I would hate to see him land in Denver... Especially if they retain Wade. Luckily I have read that they are enamored with Vance Joseph. Iirc he had interviewd there prior (when Koobs was hired?) and they are going after him again.

With the Spanos coming out and saying they want to keep the Offensive staff intact, but " won't force them on a new coach ", I think Whiz could likely stay aboard if Toub is brought in. If we retained Whiz as OC (we could do better, but also could do worse...) and could land Wade Phillips as DC (a man can dream right?) with Toub leading the way- I could see a dramatic turn around quickly.

Denver is interviewing Toub tomorrow and I think they will give him the job in Denver tomorrow as well
Highboltage55

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do NOT want : Vance Joseph or Anthony Lynn

-both lack experience with only 1 season accrued as coordinators
-Dolphins D just got slaughtered in Pitt
-Lynn was a positional coach prior to being promoted to OC after Roman was fired earlier this season.

-By all accounts both guys are respected by their player, are good motivators and former players.

Warming up to: Matt Patricia and Mike Smith
- Patricia is the "unknown commodity" if you will. Apparently guys on both sides of the ball gush over him, Patricia lives in the film room/uses analytics, is well "versed" in a 3-4/hybrid Defense (won't have to transition as much compared to say Smitty or McDermott).

-" Boom or Bust " candidate, but if he "Booms", Oh Boy, we could really turn around this sinking ship in a short amount of time.

- "Smitty" had a "high floor", which given our current franchises situation would be good, but people question of he could " take us to the next level".

-Respectable tenure with Atlanta, Coach of the year in '08, two 13-3 seasons while reaching the NFCCG, finished 1st and 2nd in their division multiple times before the "wheels fell off" (two losing seasons and was canned). Good motivator, loves to play hard-nosed Defense (little vanilla, base 4-3) with ball-control which would fit the Chargers personnel ( aka "feed Gordon", have Phil "manage" the game MORE, less "hero ball").

-Almost Schottenheimer like with playoff success which is why I feel most people sour on him (1-4). Apparently "got away" from what worked earlier in his career with the Falcons ( I.e. Ball-Control/Defense) to become more "explosive" with the mortgaging/acquisition of Julio Jones (almost like an "arms race" post loss to the Packers in the playoffs).

Want: Dave Toub

-Ace Special Teams Coordinator wherever he has been: Eagles, Bear, Chiefs
-Players love/respect him
-Former Offensive Lineman ( build team through the trenches???), also was a former Stength and Conditioning Coach.
-Sounds like a no BS type of guy that people " go to bat for "

-Not an X's and O's guy, but if we retain Whiz for continuity and could bring in someone like Wade to run the Defense- we could make some noise!
kramxel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about it, the more I feel comfortable with Smith.
He would be a definite upgrade over McCoy, would provide the defensive focus change the FO is looking for and, above all, it's a proven commodity.
He may have a bad track record in the playoffs, but at this point just getting there consistently would be a step in the right direction.
Neutral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scratch McDermott off the list:

Sean McDermott, DC, Panthers - hired by Bills
Mike Smith, DC, Bucs - interviewed
Matt Patricia, DC, Pats - interviewed
Dave Toub, ST, Chiefs - interviewed
Anthony Lynn, i-HC, Bills - interviewed
Teryl Austin, DC, Lions - interviewed
Vance Joseph, DC, Fins...

...is scheduled to interview tomorrow, but poking around the Broncos forum reveals:

bobdevine wrote:
Troy Renck tweets:
Quote:
Joseph, acc to sources, hasn't left. Still talking w #Broncos. Adds intrigue to this fascinating process

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/819021805306396673

Highboltage55 wrote:
also was a former Stength and Conditioning Coach

Didn't know that! That would be a great selling point to the team and fanbase. Spanos might not know how to fix the problem, but even he has to be frustrated that we won't be true contenders if we're decimated by injuries every year.
Highboltage55

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutral wrote:
scratch McDermott off the list:

Sean McDermott, DC, Panthers - hired by Bills
Mike Smith, DC, Bucs - interviewed
Matt Patricia, DC, Pats - interviewed
Dave Toub, ST, Chiefs - interviewed
Anthony Lynn, i-HC, Bills - interviewed
Teryl Austin, DC, Lions - interviewed
Vance Joseph, DC, Fins...

...is scheduled to interview tomorrow, but poking around the Broncos forum reveals:

bobdevine wrote:
Troy Renck tweets:
Quote:
Joseph, acc to sources, hasn't left. Still talking w #Broncos. Adds intrigue to this fascinating process

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/819021805306396673

Highboltage55 wrote:
also was a former Stength and Conditioning Coach

Didn't know that! That would be a great selling point to the team and fanbase. Spanos might not know how to fix the problem, but even he has to be frustrated that we won't be true contenders if we're decimated by injuries every year.

McDermott to the Bills is a good move. They had success under Marrone with Jim Schwartz and his Wide 9 Scheme, so moving back to an aggressive 4-3 should help them immediately. Some people are speculating McCoy might be his OC, wouldn't that be interesting.

Regarding Toub and the S&C, he has been around "winning cultures" in the NFL: late 90's-early "00's Eagles (Reid), Bears in the mid 2000's (Lovie), and most recently the Chiefs (Reid). I am sure he has seen how those programs do things differently and could help turn ours around. I'm not expecting anything drastic along the lines of Oregon/Eagles with Chip Kelly, but if Toub was overseeing everything he would probably have great input.

Apparently we interviewed Teryl Austin today-I would pass. The Lions D is nothing special, if anything they are "known for"/made the playoffs because of their Offense. They remind me almost of a Saints "lite", generally speaking Offensive team with poor defense. The Lions Offense is not on the same Tier as the Saints, but at the same time the Saints have a historically bad Defense and the Lions aren't that poor. Austin seems like a bland hire.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks really need to grasp that being the Head Coach is more about people management, not X's and O's. Andy Reid, who I'd consider to be a fine standard to aspire to as the type of coach you'd want running your team, had never been a coordinator on either side of the ball and only one year as a QB Coach and Assistant HC when the Eagles first hired him.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highboltage55 wrote:
Regarding Toub and the S&C, he has been around "winning cultures" in the NFL: late 90's-early "00's Eagles (Reid), Bears in the mid 2000's (Lovie), and most recently the Chiefs (Reid). I am sure he has seen how those programs do things differently and could help turn ours around. I'm not expecting anything drastic along the lines of Oregon/Eagles with Chip Kelly, but if Toub was overseeing everything he would probably have great input.

Apparently we interviewed Teryl Austin today-I would pass. The Lions D is nothing special, if anything they are "known for"/made the playoffs because of their Offense. They remind me almost of a Saints "lite", generally speaking Offensive team with poor defense. The Lions Offense is not on the same Tier as the Saints, but at the same time the Saints have a historically bad Defense and the Lions aren't that poor. Austin seems like a bland hire.

Toub is probably my gut's top choice right now because I genuinely see him as a John Harbaugh type or even another Marty-before-Marty-let-his-ego-get-the-better-of-him. Toub has a very, very Dick Vermeil feel to him. I have some serious question marks about who and how he'd fill out his staff, but I think long-term the team would be just dandy.

My head, and the way I believe the team will lean, says Patricia, particularly if he can pull off the coup of bringing Mike Vrabel over from Houston as a DC (Vrabel's clearly fishing for a HC gig, but I don't know that anyone is going to promote him straight from LB coach to HC, so he may see the need to take a similar career path to Vance Joseph. For the most part, the Fairbanks-Bulloughs defense that Patricia's been running in New England (which has incorporated a great deal more base-nickel and 4-3 looks the past several seasons) would find a majority of pieces already on the roster here. The biggest emphasis in that whole New England scheme is teaching and emphasizing techniques and fundamentals over specific alignments (they'll shade DL to either direction, throw out a fair amount of 3-safety looks, etc.). Moreover, I think Patricia is likely to retain Whisenhunt, as Whis actually does employ a Erhardt-Perkins offensive scheme - which is what the Patriots use and what Patricia has the most familiarity with.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
game3525

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Folks really need to grasp that being the Head Coach is more about people management, not X's and O's. Andy Reid, who I'd consider to be a fine standard to aspire to as the type of coach you'd want running your team, had never been a coordinator on either side of the ball and only one year as a QB Coach and Assistant HC when the Eagles first hired him.

This.

X's and O's for the most part isn't why Norv and McCoy failed as HC. It was the other things of running an efficient team(ex. practice routines, conditioning, accountability etc.), it is the little things like that have kept the team from going anywhere.

I am all for Toub or Patricia. Both guys come from winning cultures and organizations that put a premium on teaching, mental toughness, and holding guys accountable.
Zappaz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Anthony Lynn is the front runner, back for a second interview.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan of the hire, but after the "official" news of relocation, I could honestly care less at this point.

Toub, Patricia or even Mike Smith would have been a better hire, although I think Lynn will be good for Melvin Gordon's growth.
Zappaz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today is really testing my fandom...

Granted the move to LA was completely expected, its still tough to accept.

The Lynn hire... yeah, what happened to talking with all these D guy and building off of that?!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zappaz wrote:

The Lynn hire... yeah, what happened to talking with all these D guy and building off of that?!

That's pretty much my sentiments on the day that has been..

Can someone talk me into this hire a little bit? I feel pretty darn uninspired right now.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyle21121 wrote:
Zappaz wrote:

Can someone talk me into this hire a little bit? I feel pretty darn uninspired right now.

I like the Lynn Hire some. I would've been ecstatic with Toub/Patricia/McDaniels, particularly Toub, but Lynn checks a lot of boxes for me. He's only got a short time under his belt as an OC, but he's been the Assistant HC for Rex for a while. But he's likely a guy who's more hands off with the offense, who will give his input, but not force things on the OC, and he's essentially going to let Whiz run his offense and focus on building a culture and motivating players, which is something that the last 2 coaches couldn't do (and is basically his major strength). As LBC said (though I'm pretty sure he just posted my twitter timeline with that post), being a successful HC is much more about managing people than it is about calling plays and running one side of the ball. Reportedly Lynn has impressed teams with a very good vision for a franchise in interviews and has always been known as a guy players will do anything for.

It also helps IMO that it looks like he's going to have 2 former HC's, who are very comfortable basically controlling each side of the ball for his coordinators. It takes a lot of the weight off him and lets him be strictly a manager. I also think that Bradley's defense is a good fit for what we have here (I like Bosa a LOT in that Michael Bennett role, and I think a lot of our players are going to fit in the roles that he had guys in Seattle fill). It'll be interesting to see how he changes the coverage schemes with 2 smaller, quicker CB's rather than Seattle's jumbo secondary, but other than that I think the scheme will fit, and It'll be nice to have a vet like Mebane, who's ran his scheme before when they were together in Seattle.

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
game3525

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
kyle21121 wrote:
Zappaz wrote:

I like the Lynn Hire some. I would've been ecstatic with Toub/Patricia/McDaniels, particularly Toub, but Lynn checks a lot of boxes for me. He's only got a short time under his belt as an OC, but he's been the Assistant HC for Rex for a while. But he's likely a guy who's more hands off with the offense, who will give his input, but not force things on the OC, and he's essentially going to let Whiz run his offense and focus on building a culture and motivating players, which is something that the last 2 coaches couldn't do (and is basically his major strength). As LBC said (though I'm pretty sure he just posted my twitter timeline with that post), being a successful HC is much more about managing people than it is about calling plays and running one side of the ball. Reportedly Lynn has impressed teams with a very good vision for a franchise in interviews and has always been known as a guy players will do anything for.

It also helps IMO that it looks like he's going to have 2 former HC's, who are very comfortable basically controlling each side of the ball for his coordinators. It takes a lot of the weight off him and lets him be strictly a manager. I also think that Bradley's defense is a good fit for what we have here (I like Bosa a LOT in that Michael Bennett role, and I think a lot of our players are going to fit in the roles that he had guys in Seattle fill). It'll be interesting to see how he changes the coverage schemes with 2 smaller, quicker CB's rather than Seattle's jumbo secondary, but other than that I think the scheme will fit, and It'll be nice to have a vet like Mebane, who's ran his scheme before when they were together in Seattle.

Yeah, this is pretty much where I am at.

Granted, I am not too high on Bradley. His defenses have never amount to much in Jacksonville, so it makes me fear that he was just a product of the talent in Seattle.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
kyle21121 wrote:
Zappaz wrote:

Yeah, this is pretty much where I am at.

Granted, I am not too high on Bradley. His defenses have never amount to much in Jacksonville, so it makes me fear that he was just a product of the talent in Seattle.

I mean you can say that, but there really wasn't much talent in Seattle when he got there. He played a huge role in developing, and making Clemmons, Sherman, Browner, David Hawthorne, KJ Wright and Chancellor look like Beasts. His DL was ok, and consisted of Red Bryant, Mebane, and Allen Branch, far from spectacular. He put a lot of young guys in the right place to succeed.

I don't think Bradley's problem in Jax was the x's and o's. I worry more about the staff he is able to bring in, since I don't think his guys did a very good job in Jax at developing guys. The LB's were dominant, but they lacked any talent up front IMO. I think his problem was more rooted in coaching under him and bad player evaluation than anything else. We already have the established (and fit to his scheme) talent here, all he has to do is implement schemes and playcall, which I think he's good at. It'll be interesting to see what he does with the CB's being an entirely different style than he's used to, but other than that, he should be ok.

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: