Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Time to go Coach Shopping
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duffman57

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Time to go Coach Shopping Reply with quote

So who's on your shopping list?

One thing that I'm getting more and more interested in, is bringing in a coach like Chip Kelly as an OC under a D or ST's coach (Bissaccia/Toub interest me in the 2nd category). Only problem I have with that is you know going in that Chip would look at any potential HC opening.

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that Whiz stays as OC. I think anybody coming in will keep him. It'd be hard to find somebody better to bring along.

I do like the idea of a coach with a D background. They could bring in a CPR dummy for DC, and it would be at least equal to Pagano.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
My guess is that Whiz stays as OC. I think anybody coming in will keep him. It'd be hard to find somebody better to bring along.

How many years does Whiz have left on his contract?
Highboltage55

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news regarding McCoy...

I personally want either: Dave Toub , Mike Smith, or Sean Payton(if available) as HC options if given a realistic choice.

Toub would be the 1st Special Teams Coordinator iirc, hired as a Head Coach since John Harbaugh back in '08 (I believe). He worked with Lovie in Chicago and had a solid special teams unit that featured Hester and Gould. Recently he has been on Andy Reid's staff and has unleashed an "X-Factor" in Tyreke Hill that hasn't been seen since Hester/ Dante Hall.

Smith has been a well established DC in the league for years, spending time under Del Rio in Jacksonville before becoming the Falcons Head Coach in '08. He currently is the DC with the Bucs under Koetter and helped "rejuvenate"/transform the Bucs Defense this year down the stretch into a respectable unit (considering they don't have a lot of household names/talent). When he was let go by Atlanta it seemed similar to Andy Reid's tenure with the Eagle or Kubiak with the Texans, in that it was best for "both parties" to "part ways mutually". Smith helped turn around the culture of Atlanta when he took over (post Vick dog fight / Bobby Petrino) and I think could be a successful coach should he choose to take over again somewhere.

Smith runs a "base 4-3" so our defense would shift slightly in Scheme/Philosophy, but I feel our current personnel would actually project decently: Bosa (RE/LE), Mebane ( 1 Tech NT ) , Liuget ( 3 Tech ) , *Ingram/*Attaouchu (Both could play DE or an "aggressive" SAM) and our backers could project to SAM, Mike (Perryman), and Will (Jatavis Brown). Toomer if he stays could project to MLB/SAM most likely.

I am mixed on Sean Payton. I listed him because I think he would be the best Offensive Coach available if he is let go, and had the experience already unlike Kyle Shannahan. I have talked to some Saints fans and they have explained the deficiencies of Payton: he is sort of an "egomaniac", can be "cute" with his play calls (I.e. "Running a jet sweep/reverse" on a 3rd and short scenario and failing"), in addition to making some bad decisions regarding his D Coordinators.

I would like to see someone who had previous experience as a Head Coach. Rivers only has a few years (2-3 ?) left and I would hate to see his career squandered away by multiple inept coaching hires.

I could totally see Deano coming out and promoting Pagano to Head Coach, while retaining Whiz as OC for "continuity" while bringing in recently released Chuck Pagano to become the new DC, reuniting the brothers Pagano.....
Neutral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[]

MrDrew wrote:

I do like the idea of a coach with a D background. They could bring in a CPR dummy for DC, and it would be at least equal to Pagano.

Looking good so far...

4 out of 5 candidates have a D background, none on offense. That tells me that whoever agrees to keep Whiz will get preference over those who won't, and that Spanos doesn't see Pagano as the right guy to lead the defense.

Last edited by Neutral on Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Highboltage55

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am "all aboard" the "Toub Train", although McDermott is a close second.

I like Patricia more than McDaniels if we had a choice of a Pats Coordinator, but overall I am leery of "fruit from the Belicheck Tree". Personally I feel that a lot of BB's assistants receive too much credit when it's truly Belichek that "runs the show". BB has always been a defensive coach and I question how much impact Patricia has as an overall coordinator. I could see someone plucking Patricia and not having the same Defensive success, in similar fashion to Pete Carroll and his disciples (i.e. Gus Bradley and Dan Quinn). Yeah Quinn is headed to the playoffs, but it isn't because of Atlanta's Defense but rather their Offense (I.e. Potential MVP Matt Ryan, Julio, Tevin Coleman and Freeman).

That's another reason that McDaniels has the upper hand IMO over Patricia. Personality wise Patricia from what I have read/heard seems like a good dude and NE's players love him, but at the end of the day McDaniels runs that Offense and has made major tweaks throughout his tenure with regards to personnel. Patricia is still an unknown in this regard.

While I have heard good things about Vance Joseph, he only had one year of running a Defense in the league and is a little "green" for our situation (I.e. "Window" closing with Rivers in the next few seasons).

My dream would be to hire Toub and bring back Wade Phillips as DC. I also am not against a coach like McDermott or Mike Smith who run a base 4-3 which might possibly fit out personal better going forward.

Should be an interesting coaching search, so far I have been impressed with who they have been looking at.
chargerbuckeye

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean McDermott please
kyle21121

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chargerbuckeye wrote:
Sean McDermott please

That's what I'd like as well. I'm warming to the idea of Toub but of the other guys were targeting I'm a little under enthused. I just wanna feel inspired for a moment instead of having to talk myself into it.
chargerbuckeye

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyle21121 wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:
Sean McDermott please

That's what I'd like as well. I'm warming to the idea of Toub but of the other guys were targeting I'm a little under enthused. I just wanna feel inspired for a moment instead of having to talk myself into it.

Hiring toub means likely keeping Pagano. I WANT PAGANO OFF THE CHARGERS
kyle21121

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chargerbuckeye wrote:
kyle21121 wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:
Sean McDermott please

I'd prefer him gone but I'm willing to concede that decision to the next HC.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotoworld wrote:
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Chargers would prefer their new coach retain OC Ken Whisenhunt and the offensive staff.
This would explain why the Chargers have been connected to five defensive coordinators (Mike Smith, Sean McDermott, Teryl Austin, Vance Joseph, Matt Patricia) and one special teams coordinator (Dave Toub) when setting up interviews for their head-coaching vacancy. The Chargers were 14th in total yards and ninth in points in Whisenhunt's first year back as the OC.

Rotoworld wrote:
#Chargers won't force assistants on a new HC but they value their offensive staff. Good chance Whisenhunt & co stay with def & ST candidates

I think the support of Rivers will help Whiz keep the job. I also think the O will change without McCoy there.

The rest of the staff should go. So should the owners.....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chargerbuckeye wrote:
kyle21121 wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:
Sean McDermott please

In what way does that mean that? Toub isn't going to just keep everyone/everything else in place and make no changes if he gets to be the HC....lol

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
chargerbuckeye

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:
kyle21121 wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:
Sean McDermott please

In what way does that mean that? Toub isn't going to just keep everyone/everything else in place and make no changes if he gets to be the HC....lol

It sounds like toub is interviewing with Denver, and tbh, he may leave Elway office as the next coach of the Denver Donkeys
kramxel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really excited by any of the candidates.

Toub is perhaps the most interesting, but none seems to have the personality and knowledge to turn things around.
Smith is the only guy with a track record, and it's not that great.
Highboltage55

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chargerbuckeye wrote:
Duffman57 wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:
kyle21121 wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:
Sean McDermott please

It sounds like toub is interviewing with Denver, and tbh, he may leave Elway office as the next coach of the Denver Donkeys

If we can't land Toub then I would hate to see him land in Denver... Especially if they retain Wade. Luckily I have read that they are enamored with Vance Joseph. Iirc he had interviewd there prior (when Koobs was hired?) and they are going after him again.

With the Spanos coming out and saying they want to keep the Offensive staff intact, but " won't force them on a new coach ", I think Whiz could likely stay aboard if Toub is brought in. If we retained Whiz as OC (we could do better, but also could do worse...) and could land Wade Phillips as DC (a man can dream right?) with Toub leading the way- I could see a dramatic turn around quickly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: