You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

On to 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RaykwonDaChef

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
RaykwonDaChef wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
RaykwonDaChef wrote:
Would love to sign 5 safeties.

Jefferson, Berry, Cyprien, Church, Swearinger, Addae, Wilcox, McDouglad, Harmon, McDonald

Take your pick.
Wait, you want to sign 5 safeties?

Kinda of being hyperbolic, but yes, Everett can stay I guess. The entire middle of the defense needs to be replaced unfortunately.
I think there's a disconnect. You're saying you'd like to sign any of these 5 safeties, right? Not all 5 of them at one time. Mknight thinks you want to sign all 5 of them which is overkill especially when we have Cravens and Everrett already.

True forgot Cravens is gonna be a S now. I'd be happy with one of that bunch and then 2 more for a 4th and 5th safety.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about Blackmon and Nacho?

Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
RaykwonDaChef

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:

Wouldnt be sad if they were gone.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
They both can be upgraded even as reserves for younger and better players and if not they shouldn't be starters. They both had an opportunity to solidify themselves as our starting safety tandem for the next few years, same with Bruton, Hall and Whitner, and they all failed.

What's best for our defense is probably just to get a total new slate of safeties except for Cravens and Everrett. Blackmon and Nacho were serviceable at best and Blackmon is 32.

I'd like to see us get younger and more talented at the position.

FS: A FA or rookie, Everrett as back up
SS: Cravens or Cyprien and then a young FA or rookie as the back up

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DCRED

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
They both can be upgraded even as reserves for younger and better players and if not they shouldn't be starters. They both had an opportunity to solidify themselves as our starting safety tandem for the next few years, same with Bruton, Hall and Whitner, and they all failed.

What's best for our defense is probably just to get a total new slate of safeties except for Cravens and Everrett. Blackmon and Nacho were serviceable at best and Blackmon is 32.

I'd like to see us get younger and more talented at the position.

FS: A FA or rookie, Everrett as back up
SS: Cravens or Cyprien and then a young FA or rookie as the back up

I actually totally agree with you here, and I am shocked you are willing to let go of some S so soon Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any reason to get rid of Blackmon he's been solid for two years for us. I'm assuming you guys are talking about dumping him because your assuming they sign a veteran starter at safety and want to go younger with the backup. Personally I'd rather draft a safety with a 2-4 round pick and have him compete with Blackmon.

turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
I don't see any reason to get rid of Blackmon he's been solid for two years for us. I'm assuming you guys are talking about dumping him because your assuming they sign a veteran starter at safety and want to go younger with the backup. Personally I'd rather draft a safety with a 2-4 round pick and have him compete with Blackmon.
That and while he's ok in coverage, he doesn't have great instincts at the safety position because he hasn't played there very long, he doesn't force many turnovers and he's ... old! Why keep a 32 year old player who's learning to play the safety position when you could have two players who've played free safety their entire college career and probably high school and are a 5 to 10 years younger?

There's no reason to bring back Blackmon other than you just don't want the Redskins to spend a high pick or anymore than a million dollars in the position and that's worked so well the last decade...

And I thought I was the Redskins homer who can't see past when our players aren't very good at their jobs...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MKnight82

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
That and while he's ok in coverage, he doesn't have great instincts at the safety position because he hasn't played there very long, he doesn't force many turnovers and he's ... old! Why keep a 32 year old player who's learning to play the safety position when you could have two players who've played free safety their entire college career and probably high school and are a 5 to 10 years younger?

There's no reason to bring back Blackmon other than you just don't want the Redskins to spend a high pick or anymore than a million dollars in the position and that's worked so well the last decade...

And I thought I was the Redskins homer who can't see past when our players aren't very good at their jobs...
Blackmon is good at his job. He's just not a star. He's a pretty solid safety, he doesn't give up big plays deep (which is a FS primary job) but he's not a playmaker or anything. That's a good backup. How is saying using a 2nd, 3rd or 4th round pick on a FS implying I don't want to spend a high pick on one? I'm sorry I don't want to blow all of our cap on a position I don't think is as important as others. Adding a cheap athletically talented FS in the draft makes sense to me.

turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:

Blackmon is good at his job. He's just not a star. He's a pretty solid safety, he doesn't give up big plays deep (which is a FS primary job) but he's not a playmaker or anything. That's a good backup. How is saying using a 2nd, 3rd or 4th round pick on a FS implying I don't want to spend a high pick on one? I'm sorry I don't want to blow all of our cap on a position I don't think is as important as others. Adding a cheap athletically talented FS in the draft makes sense to me.
What's the difference in taking a player at pick 17 vs pick 49?

What's the difference in spending $1 million on an average free safety vs $5 or 6 million on an above average safety?

Not much other than I don't know, 10 to 20 spots in your defense pass rankings and more interceptions. Our DBs had 10 ints last year and probably dropped 10 ints because we don't have any ball Hawks, we don't even have a
Dhall riverboat gambler type. Breeland doesn't have good hands, Norman dropped at least 3 ints, Nacho dropped a few.

I mean our LBs who aren't even great playmakers managed to total 3 ints.

That's sad, just sad.

MKnight82

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pressure causes turnovers not safeties.

turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
Im not say pressure never helps cause turnovers because that wouldn't be accurate like what you just wrote but every person who knows football knows that you can have all the pressure in the world but if you don't have guys with instincts, with good coverage skills that can break on balls and actually catch them on the back end that pressure alone don't mean crap. Pass rush will not get home every drop back, sometimes DBs need to make plays just because they are good at coverage and they can force a turnover or read a qb, step in front of his pass and get an int like Malik Hooker can, Jamal Adams can, Marcus Maye can, Eric Berry can, Ed Reed could, did Sean Taylor did.

We were 10th in sacks last year in the NFL and our DBs still only had 10 ints. Nice try.. but that ain't it! Confused

MKnight82

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
Im not say pressure never helps cause turnovers because that wouldn't be accurate like what you just wrote but every person who knows football knows that you can have all the pressure in the world but if you don't have guys with instincts, with good coverage skills that can break on balls and actually catch them on the back end that pressure alone don't mean crap. Pass rush will not get home every drop back, sometimes DBs need to make plays just because they are good at coverage and they can force a turnover or read a qb, step in front of his pass and get an int like Malik Hooker can, Jamal Adams can, Marcus Maye can, Eric Berry can, Ed Reed could, did Sean Taylor did.

We were 10th in sacks last year in the NFL and our DBs still only had 10 ints. Nice try.. but that ain't it! Confused
Yeah our 3rd round safety should be able to do that.

THESKINSFAN21

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:

I love Eric Berryou, but he does not get many turnovers. However,getting interceptions doesn't make you a good player just like not getting picks doesn't mean you aren't a good player.

mike23md on the sig
Adopt A Redskin- Chris Baker; 11 Tackles,1 Sack,1 FF
A TRAIN 89

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the Skins are going to take their time in choosing their DC. Still have only interviewee Mike Pettine. Waiting to hear back from Wilks and trying to figure out what Bradley is doing. Guessing this will take a few weeks. I like the idea of Mike Pettine getting the job.
turtle28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKnight82 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:

Yeah our 3rd round safety should be able to do that.
I just looked up qb hurries on a website and the skins top 3 pass rushers combined for 51 pressures on the year. Baker wasn't listed, but I'd have to imagine he had 5 or 6.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/defensive-hurries/2016/

Two DL I'd like to target in FA who shouldn't break the bank are DE/DT Nick Fairley, 6.5 sacks (12 hurries) and DT/NT Sylvester Williams (9 hurries).

By the way, McCloughan missed on Nick Fairley, freakin guy only cost the Saints $3 million last season.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: