You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ted Thompson's Future
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 48, 49, 50  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
incognito_man

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCPackFan wrote:
PackyAttacky wrote:
Something happened. Dorsey helped turn that team around, mayeb Reid wanted too much power again.

I think that's what happened. Dumb move by KC. We should bring him back to take advantage of their incredible mistake to mentor Eliot Wolf. Keep Russ Ball where he is, he's done a terrific job. Let Ted ride off into the sunset after we've won the Super Bowl...

what does this mean
CentralFC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
NCPackFan wrote:
PackyAttacky wrote:
Something happened. Dorsey helped turn that team around, mayeb Reid wanted too much power again.

I think that's what happened. Dumb move by KC. We should bring him back to take advantage of their incredible mistake to mentor Eliot Wolf. Keep Russ Ball where he is, he's done a terrific job. Let Ted ride off into the sunset after we've won the Super Bowl...

what does this mean

just gotta filter those things out incog Laughing

How can he dig a hole if he's too busy sitting on his hands?
persiandud

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather have Dorsey than anyone we have in-house
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

persiandud wrote:

I still don't understand what's so awesome about Dorsey. Mediocre team. Bad management of star contracts. Average drafter.
Dubz41

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaRisMa wrote:
persiandud wrote:

I still don't understand what's so awesome about Dorsey. Mediocre team. Bad management of star contracts. Average drafter.

Friends in KC tell me that Dorsey was actually very good at scouting, but couldn't keep the office together heading one direction. Mishandled some of the veterans contracts and releases. Got on the owner's sh** list. Because of his inability to handle the contract situations he may NOT be as attractive a candidate for another GM spot. Wouldn't mind him back in GB as director of college scouting or something like that.
persiandud

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dubz41 wrote:
ChaRisMa wrote:
persiandud wrote:

Friends in KC tell me that Dorsey was actually very good at scouting, but couldn't keep the office together heading one direction. Mishandled some of the veterans contracts and releases. Got on the owner's sh** list. Because of his inability to handle the contract situations he may NOT be as attractive a candidate for another GM spot. Wouldn't mind him back in GB as director of college scouting or something like that.

With the way the front office is structured in GB, I don't think it'll be a problem. Russ Ball handles our cap anyway, and he's awesome at it. I think he brought in some rly good players during his tenure at KC. I'd want him or Gutekunst taking over for TT (or Schneider but that's a long shot)
blankman0021

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

persiandud wrote:
Dubz41 wrote:
ChaRisMa wrote:
persiandud wrote:

With the way the front office is structured in GB, I don't think it'll be a problem. Russ Ball handles our cap anyway, and he's awesome at it. I think he brought in some rly good players during his tenure at KC. I'd want him or Gutekunst taking over for TT (or Schneider but that's a long shot)

Why?

Unless you have inside information we really have no knowledge on what each contributes to each organization. What separates Wolf, Dorsey, and Gutekunst to you?
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the way-back machine...
an article from 2011 talking about the Packers scouts and front office

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/packers/120552494.html

"Whatever direction the discussion takes once they enter the draft room, the most important thing is that a consensus is reached. There are no secrets, no favorites and no arrogance.
Just a bunch of ex-jocks expressing their opinions.
"When you're locked in a room for three weeks meeting every day, it does get long and tempers rise," Highsmith said. "But it doesn't ever get out of hand because of the respect we have for each other. The goal is, 'Let's get this player right as a group.'

"It's a good environment and that started with Ron Wolf and has continued with Ted Thompson. It's about the way they treat their scouts. It's a great place to work."
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think Russ Ball is the heir. He's been getting all the requirements filled for the job for a long time now. We have little to no information about the structure up there, but we do know Ball has been killing it with contracts for a long time now, and that he is scouting as well.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaRisMa wrote:
I still think Russ Ball is the heir. He's been getting all the requirements filled for the job for a long time now. We have little to no information about the structure up there, but we do know Ball has been killing it with contracts for a long time now, and that he is scouting as well.

i dunno why, but scouting seems like one of those things you're either good at or you're not. Not something you can 'get' good at.
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaRisMa wrote:
I still think Russ Ball is the heir.

You're spot on in terms of Ball learning every facet of the game, just not sure if he could be The Man by himself.

Really hard to do the money/contract job and the scouting job and the management of scouting job and the management of MM job.
I think that's why Wolf farmed it out to Brandt and TT farms it out to Ball.
The separation of the Contract Negotiator from the GM seems to be a decent strategy (good cop/bad cop) and it balances the work load

So if Ball is the new GM, who would be the top Personnel guy ?
Who would handle the contracts ?

As far as the structure of the front office-
Ball is the only one listed in the same group as TT ( Football Operations) and he's a VP, while Eliot is "only" a Director and is listed in the Player Personnel group

http://www.packers.com/team/front-office.html
{Family Ghost}

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Russ Ball would be fine as the GM .. as long as he has a really strong scouting staff to handle the draft and player acquisitions. I would think Wolf or Gutekunst would be strong options to head up that scouting staff. We could always look at bringing back Dorsey, or perhaps a strong scout from another franchise. Ball as GM would just lean more heavily on the advice of his scouts than a guy like Thompson. I'm sure it would work out as long as we have good scouts in place.
gizmo2012

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

{Family Ghost} wrote:
I think Russ Ball would be fine as the GM .. as long as he has a really strong scouting staff to handle the draft and player acquisitions. I would think Wolf or Gutekunst would be strong options to head up that scouting staff. We could always look at bringing back Dorsey, or perhaps a strong scout from another franchise. Ball as GM would just lean more heavily on the advice of his scouts than a guy like Thompson. I'm sure it would work out as long as we have good scouts in place.

Me personally, I don't want an accountant as the next General Manager of the Green Bay Packers. I want a top notch talent evaluator. Russ Ball is a great accountant, that's it.
{Family Ghost}

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:
{Family Ghost} wrote:

Me personally, I don't want an accountant as the next General Manager of the Green Bay Packers. I want a top notch talent evaluator. Russ Ball is a great accountant, that's it.

He's involved in a lot more than the salary cap. He's involved in talent evaluation, among other things. I'm not sure if you've seen these articles, but it goes into a lot more detail to the things he's done in GB. He's a high caliber front office cog for the Packers.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/05/29/wis-0530-packers-ball-part-1/349589001/

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/05/30/russ-ball-plays-hardball-packers-heart/349607001/
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think it's most likely Wolf. You hire Wolf, you can promote Gutenkust to his right hand man and Ball is older and has been doing his job his entire career so he stays on board. You hire Ball, Wolf and Gutenkust probably leave and we don't want that. Wolf's been training for this job since he was 9, it's really a no brainer to me to see what he's got.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 48, 49, 50  Next
Page 49 of 50

Jump to: