You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ted Thompson's Future
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pugger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
Packerraymond wrote:

The Milwaukee sports jocks that end up on radio row for the Super Bowl always get some big time agents on during that week. This type of question always gets asked, and the response is always the same. That most of their clients rate the money first, then a grouping of factors including, winning culture, talent on the team, coaching staff, facilities, weather, schemes, quality of family life, income taxes, training/medical staff etc...

There's nothing about GBs weather that is a selling point, but to say that's the deciding factor to every FAs decision is silly.

Indeed, that's why I never said that.

What I have said is that GB always sits further down the list of preferred locales. So how do you move up on that list ? By spending more than the other teams that are ranked above you by that particular Free Agent. If the money is the same, GB won't win very often which is exactly what we see: The Packers make calls, talk to agents and players and the FAs choose someplace else. The screaming fans assume the Packers did nothing, but that's not the case. They just don't announce it every time they are not picked.

The Packers know who they are ( not the prettiest girl at the dance) and they have adapted their team-building strategies to address that weakness.
They matched their roster to their ecosystem - guys who are all about football will love it.

That's also why the Packers insist on a visit to GB ( their best selling point) for any FA they pursue. They know and accept the often mistaken perceptions about the city/ area and want the FAs to come and see the real deal. That's smart business

Some fans want to blow it off, minimize it and live in an imaginary world.
The Packers can't afford that luxury - they know who they are and accept their weaknesses and work hard to overcome them.

Spilltray nailed it with a lot fewer words:

spilltray wrote:

I'd like to see more moves work out, but I don't really think it's a direct fault of Thompson that they don't.

Pugger: Bulaga Interview https://art19.com/shows/blockem-up

Thanks Shanedorf. I'll check it out later tonight. Smile
ChaRisMa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green Bay is extremely unique in two other ways, one of which plays to our advantage and the other is a double edged sword.

One is, it's a tiny town. SOME Players are super bored in Green Bay. Others love that the distractions are few.

The other is, we don't have some Captain Hook looking chump like Arthur Blank trying to be involved. If you play for Green Bay you're playing for the fans, and players probably like not having some Botox-powered skeleton like Jerry Jones asking for his daughters boyfriend to get playing time.
cooters22

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squire12 wrote:
Pugger wrote:
Shanedorf wrote:
Free agents have choices...drafted players don't.
So when the drafted players (who love playing for the Packers) want out of town as fast as they can - it offers some insight
If you can find similar player/agent/FO comments from 16 NFL cold weather cities,( half the teams) I'd be interested in hearing about them

If you were a free agent and could earn $ 10 million dollars in any number of warm locales, why would you choose GB ?

If you were a free agent and could earn $10 million dollars in 16 other "cold- weather cities", why would you choose GB ?

A potential FA has to buy one house in GB AND one someplace else where their family prefers to be ?
Why move your kids around ? Do they go to school half a year in one spot and half a year someplace else ?

When you're a free agent, you make the best choice for you and your family. And rarely does your family want to be in GB.
They may fall in love with the place after they get there, but on choosing day, GB is way down the list.
And that's not my opinion, that's the opinion of the people who matter: players and their families

If you have a winning team and you pay 'em enough they'll come. NE ain't exactly the tropics.

Greater Boston area vs greater GB area.

Pretty sure Boston does not get the sub zero weather GB does either

Dumb argument, but I thought I'd chime in. Boston and the east coast in general has been getting way more snow than the Midwest for a good decade now.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjspfvq0KLSAhUBaiYKHW6RDRcQFggfMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bostonglobe.com%2Fmetro%2F2015%2F11%2F03%2Fpast-decade-was-snowiest-year-stretch-boston%2FvTuOYJyR87zlQFioX7UQeO%2Fstory.html&usg=AFQjCNF_G2nKQwjMUfqhoMun_UzjjD2mRA

I don't have the exact amounts, but I know I heard that in Wisconsin the snow falls continually have been decreasing. I lived in the 70's and 80's in Wisconsin, our winters are extremely mild now.
chucknorris101

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I wish global warming worked in a way where we could just stop it where it is now. Really liking the mild winters up here in the Twin Cities.

At this rate though Green Bay might be the new Miami if things keep heating up Laughing
CentralFC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooters22 wrote:
squire12 wrote:
Pugger wrote:
Shanedorf wrote:
Free agents have choices...drafted players don't.
So when the drafted players (who love playing for the Packers) want out of town as fast as they can - it offers some insight
If you can find similar player/agent/FO comments from 16 NFL cold weather cities,( half the teams) I'd be interested in hearing about them

If you were a free agent and could earn $ 10 million dollars in any number of warm locales, why would you choose GB ?

If you were a free agent and could earn $10 million dollars in 16 other "cold- weather cities", why would you choose GB ?

A potential FA has to buy one house in GB AND one someplace else where their family prefers to be ?
Why move your kids around ? Do they go to school half a year in one spot and half a year someplace else ?

When you're a free agent, you make the best choice for you and your family. And rarely does your family want to be in GB.
They may fall in love with the place after they get there, but on choosing day, GB is way down the list.
And that's not my opinion, that's the opinion of the people who matter: players and their families

If you have a winning team and you pay 'em enough they'll come. NE ain't exactly the tropics.

Greater Boston area vs greater GB area.

Pretty sure Boston does not get the sub zero weather GB does either

Dumb argument, but I thought I'd chime in. Boston and the east coast in general has been getting way more snow than the Midwest for a good decade now.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjspfvq0KLSAhUBaiYKHW6RDRcQFggfMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bostonglobe.com%2Fmetro%2F2015%2F11%2F03%2Fpast-decade-was-snowiest-year-stretch-boston%2FvTuOYJyR87zlQFioX7UQeO%2Fstory.html&usg=AFQjCNF_G2nKQwjMUfqhoMun_UzjjD2mRA

I don't have the exact amounts, but I know I heard that in Wisconsin the snow falls continually have been decreasing. I lived in the 70's and 80's in Wisconsin, our winters are extremely mild now.

Maybe its recency bias, but hell, the snowfall/winters were far worse even 10 years ago compared to the last 3-4 years. The change has been dramatic. I remember waiting, daily, for buses in elementary/middle school in 0 degree weather. Now those days are few and far between. I miss it Laughing

How can he dig a hole if he's too busy sitting on his hands?
dinkus23

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
dinkus23 wrote:
Shanedorf wrote:
http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/02/15/podcast-brandt-talks-packers-free-agency/97959296/

Andrew Brandt interview above starts about 22:50 into it.

Brandt talks about:
Working with TT and TT's view on FA
Players reluctance to come to GB - how hard it was to get Charles Woodson on board
Players reluctance to train in GB in the offseason and how he and MM changed the culture/contracts to make it work

The next link is a great podcast with Bryan Bulaga and he talks about how he and his wife fled GB to live in Florida during the offseason.

https://art19.com/shows/blockem-up
Starts about 45 seconds into it and Bulaga says " I can play in the cold, but I don't wanna live in it". Bulaga also goes on to rip on PFF...

There are an overwhelming number of first- person accounts from players, agents and front office personnel talking about how difficult it is to get FAs into GB and how hard it is to keep them in GB during the offseason and how even the current Packers players want to get out of GB the moment the season is over.

then they need to do a better job at recruiting talent, and professional talent at that. It's a disgrace frankly the level of status quo, and hey you're just sort of good – so that's good enough to be a Packer... a ****ing Green Bay PACKER.... not a Brown, not a Jet, a PACKER. But i'll be damned if they hold themselves to a higher standard before the years of HoF QB play retires.

#shame

So we're just doing demented ranting now?

Yes that's it. because being competitive "long term" trumps trying to win now./

News break, the Packers have lost predictably to each and every team over the past half decade that would prefer to win in the short term, as opposed to just hanging around in the post season for a number of years.

#demented
Packer_ESP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dinkus23 wrote:

Yes that's it. because being competitive "long term" trumps trying to win now./

News break, the Packers have lost predictably to each and every team over the past half decade that would prefer to win in the short term, as opposed to just hanging around in the post season for a number of years.

#demented

The past half decade with the teams we lost against and their SB wins and playoff appearances. For comparison, we are 0 / 5 during that span.

2016: Lost to Atlanta Falcons. 0 / 2
2015: Lost to Arizona Cardinals. 0 / 2
2014: Lost to Seattle Seahawks. 1 / 5
2013: Lost to San Francisco 49ers. 0 / 2
2012: Lost to San Francisco 49ers. 0 / 2

So out of those teams "that would prefer to win in the short term" that have "predictably" beat the Packers, the Seahawks are the only team with more success than us during that span. Tell me again how that's the right team building strategy.
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Adam Caplan, this guy is joining GB's front office in a scouting role

No official announcement till he passes his physical...

Matt Malaspina is one of several leaving SF front office after Lynch and Shanahan arrived

http://www.49ers.com/team/staff/matt-malaspina/8a25791d-1aad-4478-a800-3c5d976cb3a4
gopherwrestler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where to asks this so I just through it in here. Whats an "offensive perimeter coach"? Saw the Packers had David Raih for it. Seems like a new coaching job to me, never seen it before.

“Once you’ve wrestled, everything else in life is easy.”
-Dan Gable
squire12

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopherwrestler wrote:
Not sure where to asks this so I just through it in here. Whats an "offensive perimeter coach"? Saw the Packers had David Raih for it. Seems like a new coaching job to me, never seen it before.

MM offense rarely uses the middle of the field, thus they have a dedicated coach to be the "offensive perimeter coach". No need to have an "offensive inside coach". Wink
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Article from OverThe Cap on the Packers contract trends

They run through the entire NFC North. Their website is very slow, so I copied and pasted the Packers snippet here for your consideration

https://overthecap.com/breaking-contract-structure-tendencies-styles-team-nfc-north/

Green Bay Packers

GM: Ted Thompson (2005)
VP of Football Administration: Russ Ball (2008)

The Packers have an established culture and strategy in their front office, with GM Ted Thompson and head cap exec Russ Ball in charge of building the roster for many years now. They have a clear philosophy of building through the draft and developing those players. Their current roster is a testament to their excellent scouting, with all of their highest-paid players being drafted by the team.

It follows that all of their highest-paid players are on extensions, and there are some very consistent features amongst all of those contracts. The most common is the high signing bonuses that the Packers use, and looking at the structure of their contracts, it’s no surprise that the Packers have the highest proration ratio in the NFL.

It is interesting to note that apart from Aaron Rodgers, basically all of their extensions make the signing bonus the only guaranteed portion of the contract. Clay Matthews’ five year, $66 million contract included a $20.5 million signing bonus which was the only guaranteed portion of the deal. Randall Cobb signed a four year, $40 million contract with all guarantees in the form of a $13 million signing bonus. Jordy Nelson’s signing bonus was the entire guarantee at $11.5 million of a $39.05 million deal. These signing bonuses are each roughly one-third of the total value of the contract, in contrast to the Bears who don’t have a significant signing bonus above 18% of a contract.

Therefore, the Packers generally give the player a lower percentage of full guarantees, but because they come as a signing bonus, the cash is earned upfront. It is a win-win system that reflects the Packers’ philosophy of staying loyal to their homegrown talent, and the talent staying loyal to the team.

Another feature that the Packers consistently use is large offseason roster bonuses in the early part of the contract. For example, Aaron Rodgers signed his extension in 2013, and had roster bonuses of $9.5 million and $10.1 million in 2014 and 2015. Clay Matthews signed in 2013 and earned a $5.4 million roster bonus on the 5th day of the 2014 League Year. Cobb signed in 2015 with a $4 million roster bonus earned at the start of the 2016 League Year. Most of the larger Green Bay deals include this feature, and it really comes down to

The Packers also maintain very low cap hits in the early stages of most of their deals, primarily because of the nature of the deals as extensions. The cap hits towards the end of the contracts are significant, and considering many are the first deal after a rookie contract, it shows the belief that the Packers have in their homegrown players.

To summarise, the Packers never go shopping for big-money free agents, and have a great track record of turning some of their draft picks into upper echelon talent. They reward these homegrown players pretty well, with large signing bonuses and salaries towards the end of the deal that project the players highly. The players also seem generally loyal enough to accept relatively low guarantee percentages, to reduce the contractual risk for the team.
CentralFC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Informative contribution as always, Shane.

How can he dig a hole if he's too busy sitting on his hands?
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx dude Smile
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChaRisMa wrote:
The other is, we don't have some Captain Hook looking chump like Arthur Blank trying to be involved.

LOL. Love this. Disagree with Arthur Blank trying too hard to be involved, but totally get the Hook reference. He just needs the pencil thin, zig-zag mustache that juts straight out to each side, a winked eye, an angry grin, and a cigarette perched in a cigarette holder emerging at a 30 degree upward angle from clenched teeth....and a grunt.......and a grunt...
Pugger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gopherwrestler wrote:

I never heard of a offensive perimeter coach before either.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48, 49, 50  Next
Page 47 of 50

Jump to: