Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Offensive Coordinator Candidates - Marty Stays
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: 2017 Offensive Coordinator Candidates - Marty Stays Reply with quote

Alright, I think we should get this topic it's own thread. Pretty important aspect of the team after all.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000766647/article/bears-expected-to-stay-the-course-with-fox?campaign=Twitter_atn

Quote:
Ravens coach John Harbaugh, whose team missed the playoffs again, is not going anywhere. He also faces a crucial 2017, but the coach who is signed through 2018 still has the confidence of the organization. That said, he's expected to hire a new full-time offensive coordinator after promoting QB coach Marty Mornhinweg midway through the season. Keep an eye on former Bills offensive coordinator Greg Roman for this one.

So it sounds like Harbaugh isn't inclined to keep Mornhinweg in that position. Which is good. Replacing him with Greg Roman? No. That would be bad. Roman definitely focuses on the run and has had good success in that department, but his passing game repertoire is sketchy at best as is his play calling. Now I think the quarterbacks Greg has worked with are Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick, and Tyrod Taylor so who knows how much of the passing game woes are on him or the deficiencies of those players but I would really prefer someone that could come in and confidently build an offense suited to Flacco. Teams aren't winning relying solely on the run these days. On a side note Roman was with Baltimore previously as an offensive line assistant for the last two years of Billick's tenure. And he's not a zone blocking guy, so that would likely mean Castillo is gone if Greg get the job.

With Kubiak likely retiring it will be interesting to see what the rest of his staff does. If Dennison is available I would put him at the top of my offensive coordinator wishlist. Bringing that blocking scheme and general type of offense back would be wonderful.

Anybody else? I can't think of any position coaches that have gotten a lot of publicity about being potential offensive coordinators. But it's most like that John will play it safe with the offensive coordinator position and bring in somebody that has experience calling plays so I don't think that's something to be a lot of thought into anyways.

Last edited by coordinator0 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 2m2 minutes ago
Nothing in Gary Kubiak's statement said "retiring". Mentioned how much he liked being an OC again, in Baltimore. Still loves coaching.

Pray

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-coaching-carousel-here-are-the-top-13-candidates-for-coordinator-jobs/

Quote:
Some in the organization said coach John Harbaugh, sensitive to the fact that he's churned through a lot of offensive coaches already, was struggling with the decision entering the weekend. It's hard to imagine Morhinweg back, though, and the next guy to work with Joe Flacco needs to stick around for more than like 20 games.

Rolling Eyes
jpeter15

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's get Kubiak back!
Rein

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kubiak and/or Dennison back on the offensive staff and I can live with Dean Pees as DCz
jpeter15

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always wondered why OC and DC are not more coveted. In some regard they have more influence on the outcome of the game than the head coach. If head coaches are getting $4-6m/year, why not pay a fantastic OC or DC similar?

Similarly, I don't understand how a team can be paying players $150m+ each year but even consider skimping on coaching, scouts, etc. Pay for the best and pay to keep the best.

There is no cap on front office personnel...
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 8m8 minutes ago
Broncos coach Gary Kubiak: "I'm retiring from coaching. But I have a lot to give. ... Time for me to step away from the coaching field."

Alrighty then. Go get Dennison!
Danand

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rein wrote:
Kubiak and/or Dennison back on the offensive staff and I can live with Dean Pees as DCz

Why keep Pees at DC?
dcarey20

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Norv Turner is the most realistic candidate that I could get behind.

He'd likely bring back a similar system to what Cam Cameron had back in the day, but I think he would be a decent pickup.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcarey20 wrote:

He'd likely bring back a similar system to what Cam Cameron had back in the day, but I think he would be a decent pickup.

That dream needs to die. Harsh, but Flacco isn't an Air Coryell QB despite his big arm.

Quote:
Jeff Zrebiec ‏@jeffzrebiecsun 2h2 hours ago
Flacco said as far as he's concerned, Ravens have no uncertainty at offensive coordinator. Didn't elaborate.

Hmm? Sounds like Joe is either all for Mornhinweg or all for Marty getting fired. Hopefully it's the latter.

EDIT:

http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/33007/joe-flacco-doesnt-anticipate-a-change-at-ravens-offensive-coordinator

Quote:
"As far I'm concerned, there isn't really much uncertainty," Flacco said as Ravens players cleaned out their lockers Monday. "I don't really anticipate anything happening."

Quote:
Flacco said no one in the organization has asked his opinion of Mornhinweg.

"There hasn't been very many conversations about it," Flacco said. "I don't think there is really much uncertainty about it."

Oh god no. I mean, if Mornhinweg stays and Pees go there's a little bit of a silver lining but that's still not ideal. Marty sucks and always has sucked. It's not going to change.
dcarey20

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
dcarey20 wrote:

That dream needs to die. Harsh, but Flacco isn't an Air Coryell QB despite his big arm.

We'll see. It's extremely early but he's as realistic as any at this point.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:

Quote:
Flacco said no one in the organization has asked his opinion of Mornhinweg.

"There hasn't been very many conversations about it," Flacco said. "I don't think there is really much uncertainty about it."

Oh god no. I mean, if Mornhinweg stays and Pees go there's a little bit of a silver lining but that's still not ideal. Marty sucks and always has sucked. It's not going to change.

I think this is more Joe just staying out of it than anything. At least I hope. If Marty stays, I'm jumping fully on the Harbaugh goes bandwagon.

[quote="SFPatsFan"]

Flaccomania is a genius who is an expert on literally everything he talks about so you should trust him. [/quote]
coordinator0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should hear what happens with Mornhinweg one way or the other tomorrow at Harbaugh's end of the season press conference. Man I have a bad feeling about this.
Rein

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
We should hear what happens with Mornhinweg one way or the other tomorrow at Harbaugh's end of the season press conference. Man I have a bad feeling about this.

If Marty stays, Pees goes.

It's obvious that Harbaugh is not comfortable changing both coordinates in the same season (which has saved Pees the last couple of years)

However with reports of Harbaugh coaching for his own job next year (or the year after that) he has to change the coaching staf to save his own job.

John Harbaugh? Make the Ravens great again (sorry guys - too easy)
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'd love to see Pees go, if Marty stays, our team will be in complete shambles next year. You can already see the frustration in Joe's eyes let alone everyone else. The offense was a complete joke and it wasn't just execution, it was design. The second Harbaugh says Marty is retained is the second he puts the final nail in his coffin.

[quote="SFPatsFan"]

Flaccomania is a genius who is an expert on literally everything he talks about so you should trust him. [/quote]
paraven

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mike Preston ‏@MikePrestonSun 19h19 hours ago
If Dean Pees retires, linebackcers coach Don "Wink" Martindale has shot at becoming new Ravens D-Coordinator.

Have to take anything that Preston said with a grain of salt, but I do think Pees retiring is our best bet to get rid of him

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: