Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 17 vs Falcons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Payton's future with the Saints... he continues to give the "next question" treatment to any reporter willing to ask. This could be that he's just sick and tired of the topic or that he doesn't want to lie and say there is no interest when there is.

I think we all know by now that Payton's camp has been sending fliers out over the last 3 seasons testing the waters and while everyone is focused on the Rams we have to remember that Payton was very close to being the 49ers coach last offseason and reportedly the only hold up was compensation.

Now that Jed York as fired his GM and HC and is under heavy pressure to land a top coach after the way he mishandled the Harbaugh deal I'm wondering if he may have cleaned house to make a big push for Payton again. SAN Francisco offers Payton a chance to be close to his daughter and give him an opportunity to start fresh on the west coast. Also with the GM out of the way it would be entirely up to York to decide on agreeing to Loomis demands for Payton as far as compensation goes.

If York is desperate enough and Loomis can fleece the 49ers 2nd round pick for Payton then this very well could happen.

EDIT:
Reports are that SF will hire a GM first then a HC so that might downgrade the potential of Payton landing there unless he GM is someone out in place by Payton through back channels and Payton is Yorks target all along... time will tell.

WHODAT91FOREVER
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Rams really want Payton it don't have to be draft picks... there's a few defenders on that squad I'd be really interested in bringing to the Saints.

Maybe Ogletree and a 4th or Robert Quinn straight up.

WHODAT91FOREVER
NS922

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going forward without Sean Payton can't be too bad. We looked the damn same as we do now in 2012 without him. The offense was just fine. We NEED defense and he's been getting in the way of that.
Mid Iowa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What we saw (especially from the defense) was a team who was distracted, likely of all the chatter about not knowing who their coaches are going to be by mid January.

To the contrary of many comments, our offense has played really well. So let's jump off that bash wagon for a bit.

When the defense continues to play like horse sh*t, and the special teams blow 3 wins, and your coach is dipping his noodle in the west coast, you're gonna see garbage like we saw against the Falcons.

Par for the course.

I'm so over Payton at this point.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mid Iowa wrote:
What we saw (especially from the defense) was a team who was distracted, likely of all the chatter about not knowing who their coaches are going to be by mid January.

To the contrary of many comments, our offense has played really well. So let's jump off that bash wagon for a bit.

When the defense continues to play like horse sh*t, and the special teams blow 3 wins, and your coach is dipping his noodle in the west coast, you're gonna see garbage like we saw against the Falcons.

Par for the course.

I'm so over Payton at this point.

Ok... so Payton has called all "Rams talk" completely false which would leave me to believe he isn't going anywhere.

So moving on, now we can focus on the improvements that must be made defensively if this team is going to turn the corner in 2017. The loss yesterday actually benefited us in draft position but the way we lost also showed that there is still much work to do defensively and that maybe we weren't as improved as we might have thought. I mean if Payton's gonna stay, yesterday's loss in the fashion it happend has to have him thinking defense, defense, defense for once in his life!

WHODAT91FOREVER
Jlowe22

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no way we were gonna beat the Falcons anyway, their offense is historically good this season and their defense is better than ours.

But there is still no sense in our defense letting them get a td on like 6 straight drives. The Sean Payton staff is just completely incompetent on matters of defense and it's time for a change.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Nabors
‏@MikeNabors
Brees in our @CoxSportsTV 1on1: "not sure how much longer I can do this, tired of saying next year, next year" #saints

Bloody hell.

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Saint wrote:
Mike Nabors
‏@MikeNabors
Brees in our @CoxSportsTV 1on1: "not sure how much longer I can do this, tired of saying next year, next year" #saints

Bloody hell.

Good, he needs to say something. Sick of all the cliche answers from our coaches and players. If Drew says something, something gets done.

Saints
Astros
Pelicans

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
Canadian Saint wrote:
Mike Nabors
‏@MikeNabors

Bloody hell.

Good, he needs to say something. Sick of all the cliche answers from our coaches and players. If Drew says something, something gets done.

Exactly...

Basically Drew was sending a message to management, times running out here guys! Get me some defensive help NOW.

I think the Saints will look to be players in FA and finally go with a true defensive heavy draft.

WHODAT91FOREVER
Jlowe22

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad Brees finally has something to say, but it looks like he might be ready to leave as well. Which isn't the worst thing because we eventually need to rebuild anyway, but I'd like to keep him around as long as he's still throwing 30 plus tds and leading a top 5 offense.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I have is I have zero faith this front office and coaching staff will get it done. It seems we've been basically building our cap space for this off season, for one last hurrah, but after the numerous FA failures, I have little faith that our front office will make use of our cap space intelligently.

What breaks my heart is our franchise player publically speaking out in frustration when he's really never done so. To waste his talent on some of the squads we've put around him is frustrating to see.

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
Mid Iowa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Einstein's definition of insanity: Doing the same thing over and over, expecting different results. .................(Payton takes a year off) 7-9 (comes back with a vengeance!) 11-5.....then 7-9, 7-9, 7-9.......

Give me one good reason we should expect any different next season. Seriously. ANYONE, give me one good reason to expect anything different.

The Brass isn't willing to strip Payton of his powers. Payton will say things like "we've made a lot of improvements over the last x weeks" and "we suffered some injuries of key players" and "there were a lot of up & coming skill positions that needed to get on the same page as Drew".......

If the front office retains Payton when there are 3 ripe teams that neeeeeeeed a Payton (and one that might be better off without him) then all "faith" is gone. Drew will fall into the HOF-QB abyss, and this team will continue to spiral downward.
Jlowe22

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree I really don't want to see Payton back here next year, but at the same time potential to improve is there with just an average special teams, and slightly better defense.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean I can give you a couple of reasons. Our D improved this season despite tons of injuries, although it was pretty inconsistent. Still some room for hope. Rankins looked great. Kikaha will hopefully be back. Another draft to get some impact players like Rankins. Cap room for once.

Do I have faith we draft well enough and play FA well enough to matter? Nope. But there's your reason for hope if they do it well.

Saints
Astros
Pelicans

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)
Jlowe22

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The team has looked steadily better every year since 2014, despite not having a better record. At some point enough is enough, but there are legitimate reasons to think next year may be better.

What scares me now is the aging Drew Brees and how much time he has left, or how much heart he has to keep puttin in the work after multiple 7-9 seasons with one of the worst stretches of defensive play in history.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: