Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kubiak retires ends tenure in Denver
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
BroncoBruin


Joined: 06 Oct 2007
Posts: 13059
Location: La Mesa, CA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

champ11 wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
KingBishop wrote:
Thank you Gary for everything.


Absolutely!!

IMO the thing Gary brought was complete professionalism and preparedness. I don't look at a HC much through X's and O's. That's OC/DC stuff. The readiness to play on Sunday is the HC.

That was my issue with Fox. Too many times he put a team on the field that was just not ready and got beat by lesser opponents. I think in Gary's tenure that only happened once, a few weeks ago in KC.

If a guys outcoached, Okay. If he makes a bad call or is too conservative or bold, that's okay too. Not having your team ready to play at it's highest level however is not okay.

That was an extremely rare occurrence with Kubiak, something I hope will continue with Elways next choice.


And all of our big personalities loved him. That's not easy to do. I want that in the next coach more than anything. Shoutout to Gary. Good post AK.

Shanahan was the goat for having 2-4 games a year when the team didn't show up.
That whole country club atmosphere in Mike's last few years was horrible. I think Kubiak struck the perfect balance of keeping things light while always locked in.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
germ-x


Joined: 06 Apr 2009
Posts: 9234
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncofan wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
champ11 wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
Beautifully said, Broncofan. Your contributions here have been excellent for a long time, you're one of this forum's MVPs.

I know it's MHR, but here are two good reads on Kyle that are worth checking out.

Kyle Shanahan Would be a HC Who Fits His Schemes to His Personnel

Get to Know Kyle Shanahan

Edit. And here's a good one from BSN Denver, which does outstanding work, I'd highly recommend subscribing to their podcasts, on Vance Joseph.

Vance Joseph’s former teammates and players voice support for his head coaching candidacy


+1 on BSN. I listen to most of their podcasts and they have the best Nuggets stuff in town.


I've missed a few pages, but I'm not going to read back. Things look civil, which is nice.

I've been thinking though, I'm pretty comfortable with every candidate we've scheduled an interview with.

Shanahan - Might be better than anyone at scheming players open. No more of the same old predictability. He'll get the most out of skill players, especially the gadget types that we've never known how to use effectively.

Joseph - He gets so much out of his players. I love any candidate who can do more with less and Vance Joseph is exactly that.

Toub - Don't know much about the guy but he's so highly regarded around the league and this isn't a league where there's just lip service for no reason. I like the CEO approach he's likely to take.

Lynn - Don't think he wins the job, but meteoric rise, a familiarity with the organizations winning culture, and what he did with the Bills offense was pretty impressive.


Generally I agree with all of above - but Alex Marvez reports that Joseph would not keep Wade if he were hired (link in other thread). If that's true (a big if) it's the first real differentiator between the candidates and IMO knocks Joseph well below the others.


I understand your point and want Phillips back as much as anyone. More than anything because the players love him.

However, defensively this is one of the top 2 or 3 (if not the top) physically gifted units in football. As long as a DC doesn't come in and get ultra conservative, the way Del Rio did in his final year in Denver, the defense will be fine.

However, Wade got very conservative at times this year and that helped attribute to losses for this team. Even after getting exposed vs Atlanta on short crossing routes he did nothing to try and remedy it.

Yes, the team lost 2 players in Jackson and Trevathan, but teams found holes in this defense that Phillips was never able to adjust to for a large portion of the season.

The crazy part is, this was still one of the top units in th game and at least for this season it may have been more due to the talent than it was the Xs and Os coaching.


Last edited by germ-x on Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KingBishop


Joined: 29 Dec 2013
Posts: 8255
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Joseph really plans on bringing Mike McCoy as OC and not bringing back Wade I don't see how anyone wants him as HC of this team... We will be a bottom two team in the AFC West for a while if so.
_________________
Favorite Players in this Class:

David Njoku, Jourdan Lewis, Steven Taylor, Tedric Thompson, Marlon Mack, Brian Hill, OJ Howard, Jamal Adams, Malik Hooker, Marcus Williams, Eddie Jackson

Deforest Buckner is the best player in the 2016 draft class
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Broncofan


Joined: 02 Dec 2013
Posts: 3589
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

germ-x wrote:
Broncofan wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
champ11 wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:
Beautifully said, Broncofan. Your contributions here have been excellent for a long time, you're one of this forum's MVPs.

I know it's MHR, but here are two good reads on Kyle that are worth checking out.

Kyle Shanahan Would be a HC Who Fits His Schemes to His Personnel

Get to Know Kyle Shanahan

Edit. And here's a good one from BSN Denver, which does outstanding work, I'd highly recommend subscribing to their podcasts, on Vance Joseph.

Vance Joseph’s former teammates and players voice support for his head coaching candidacy


+1 on BSN. I listen to most of their podcasts and they have the best Nuggets stuff in town.


I've missed a few pages, but I'm not going to read back. Things look civil, which is nice.

I've been thinking though, I'm pretty comfortable with every candidate we've scheduled an interview with.

Shanahan - Might be better than anyone at scheming players open. No more of the same old predictability. He'll get the most out of skill players, especially the gadget types that we've never known how to use effectively.

Joseph - He gets so much out of his players. I love any candidate who can do more with less and Vance Joseph is exactly that.

Toub - Don't know much about the guy but he's so highly regarded around the league and this isn't a league where there's just lip service for no reason. I like the CEO approach he's likely to take.

Lynn - Don't think he wins the job, but meteoric rise, a familiarity with the organizations winning culture, and what he did with the Bills offense was pretty impressive.


Generally I agree with all of above - but Alex Marvez reports that Joseph would not keep Wade if he were hired (link in other thread). If that's true (a big if) it's the first real differentiator between the candidates and IMO knocks Joseph well below the others.


I understand your point and want Phillips back as much as anyone. More than anything because the players love him.

However, defensively this is one of the top 2 or 3 (if not the top) physically gifted units in football. As long as a DC doesn't come in and get ultra conservative, the way Del Rio did in his final year in Denver, the defense will be fine.

However, Wade got very conservative at times this year and that helped attribute to losses for this team. Even after getting exposed vs Atlanta on short crossing routes he did nothing to try and remedy it.

Yes, the team lost 2 players in Jackson and Trevathan, but teams found holes in this defense that Phillips was never able to adjust to for a large portion of the season.

The crazy part is, this was still one of the top units in th game and at least for this season it may have been more due to the talent than it was the Xs and Os coaching.


That's a very fair analysis of the season. Yes, Wade's passiveness was his main weakness at a few key points in the season. But, a new HC, no matter who it ends up being, as the overseer, could get Wade to get a little more aggressive when he needs to be - Kubiak & Phillips certainly took that approach for our great 2015 playoff/SB run, after learning the hard way in the PIT game, where our conservative approach almost gave it to them.

Just like a new OC could have worked with Kubiak to help innovate on O had he remained, I believe a new HC could talk philosophy about remaining aggressive on D with Wade, and make that needed change. Replacing him, is overkill - unless Wade made some sort of insistance on full DC autonomy - which nothing in his stated desire to return to DEN even with a new HC, suggests.

Getting Wade to be more aggressive is the ideal result - but replacing him to achieve that result IMO is like using a sledgehammer when a scalpel is all that's needed.
_________________
steelpanther wrote:
This is like playing checkers with a pigeon. No matter how well you play, sooner or later the pigeon is going to crap on the board, then puff his chest out and strut around like he won something.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paul-mac


Joined: 12 Jul 2009
Posts: 12223
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half of our fan base wants Shanny because of his last name and the other half wants to avoid him at all costs because of his last name Laughing
_________________
Victor Cruz Pun wrote:
DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
Isn't CJ Anderson one of those dudes that replaced Terrell Davis? If so top 5 RB of all time.


Fify.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
BroncoinGermany


Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 3406
Location: Europe
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
Half of our fan base wants Shanny because of his last name and the other half wants to avoid him at all costs because of his last name Laughing


Pretty much Laughing
_________________
The situation is hopeless, but not serious.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
broncos67


Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 24148
Location: Conshohocken
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I read about Vance Joseph being the HC the less enthusiastic I am. The writing seems to be on the wall that he is the leading candidate. Maybe he's an excellent motivator and manager, but it's at least mildly concerning that he's only really been a coordinator for a season, his unit didn't have a ton of success, and now he's a HC candidate.

Also, it's somewhat risky IMO to have a young HC with a young DC (Joe Woods) and an unknown OC. Just doesn't give me a ton of confidence personally.
_________________


Thanks, Tzimisce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
iLikeDefense


Joined: 03 Jan 2010
Posts: 3717
Location: San Diego--Mile High West
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
The more I read about Vance Joseph being the HC the less enthusiastic I am. The writing seems to be on the wall that he is the leading candidate. Maybe he's an excellent motivator and manager, but it's at least mildly concerning that he's only really been a coordinator for a season, his unit didn't have a ton of success, and now he's a HC candidate.

Also, it's somewhat risky IMO to have a young HC with a young DC (Joe Woods) and an unknown OC. Just doesn't give me a ton of confidence personally.


Agreed. We still have an elite D, let's not waste these few years of greatness. Sign Wade for 2/3 years then find an up and coming DC.
_________________

^ Joe_is_the_best with the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ElJefe7


Joined: 27 Aug 2016
Posts: 54
Location: Pereira, Colombia
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
The more I read about Vance Joseph being the HC the less enthusiastic I am. The writing seems to be on the wall that he is the leading candidate. Maybe he's an excellent motivator and manager, but it's at least mildly concerning that he's only really been a coordinator for a season, his unit didn't have a ton of success, and now he's a HC candidate.

Also, it's somewhat risky IMO to have a young HC with a young DC (Joe Woods) and an unknown OC. Just doesn't give me a ton of confidence personally.


I think that is a fair concern. I do know he is highly thought of but it is a risk. I trust that Elway will be able to make that decision.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mke1010


Joined: 08 Mar 2008
Posts: 2749
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was always a bit hesitant on VJ cos I suspected he would not want to keep Wade if hired. Never got the logic that since he came up under Wade he would want to keep him.
I think that would be the more reason he would not keep him. As a Defensive guru himself, VJ would probably want to have last word on Defense and would be more of a hands on coach than delegating type. Much easier to do that when your DC isn't a mentor type of figure.

On the other hand, an Offensive coach would not have the same issues with Wade.
Mark my words, if Vance J is the new coach Wade is gone. If we go Toub or Offensive guy, Wade probably stays.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thebestever6


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 3167
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean Vance Joseph has been very good with that defensive personel in Miami . They lost their top 5 safety, a great pass rusher, and Maxwell is an average corner. He replaced Brent Grimes and hasn't been so good.

I'm torn on Joseph on one hand I think he can put pieces in place and have the defense still firing on all cylinders.

On the other I know what we havery in Wade. We've had talented personel on the defense before wade got here. But Dennis Allen and Del Rio didn't get the most out of it.

I watched an interview where Joseph called Wade ultra aggressive being someone he learned from and he likes too play situational football so not the same as Wade.
_________________
Props to Deadpulse for the Sig:

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AnAngryAmerican


Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 19484
Location: Loveland, CO
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
The more I read about Vance Joseph being the HC the less enthusiastic I am. The writing seems to be on the wall that he is the leading candidate. Maybe he's an excellent motivator and manager, but it's at least mildly concerning that he's only really been a coordinator for a season, his unit didn't have a ton of success, and now he's a HC candidate.

Also, it's somewhat risky IMO to have a young HC with a young DC (Joe Woods) and an unknown OC. Just doesn't give me a ton of confidence personally.

My concern about Joseph is who he would be bring in as his coordinators. If he's going to be the CEO-type head coach his coordinators are going to be pretty powerful, especially his OC since Joseph's experience is on the defensive side of the ball. The talk about Mike McCoy as OC under Joseph really, really concerns me because McCoy is unaccomplished as a OC, he was little more more than a lackey for Mac and Peyton in his time here, and he would change the offense away from the WCO, forcing our young QBs to learn an entirely new scheme, meaning next year and maybe 2018 as well, would be rebuilding years, wasting the final prime years of our defensive talent.

With Kyle I don't have that concern because he would be in charge of the offense, and he's easily one of the best OCs in the league, and he would likely keep Wade or promote Woods, which I would be fine with.
_________________
big_palooka:

bhslinebacker wrote:
AAA is right, as he usually is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
broncos67


Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 24148
Location: Conshohocken
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really think Wade will be our DC next year regardless of coach.
_________________


Thanks, Tzimisce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AnAngryAmerican


Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 19484
Location: Loveland, CO
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
I don't really think Wade will be our DC next year regardless of coach.

That's likely.

Vance is hired as HC, promotes Woods to be a yes-man and himself takes command of the defense (which his has been awful in Miami) and hires Mike McCoy as OC. Sounds a lot like 2009 all over again.
_________________
big_palooka:

bhslinebacker wrote:
AAA is right, as he usually is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
broncosfan07


Joined: 21 Feb 2007
Posts: 20925
Location: Denver
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christ this forum is dramatic. He hasn't and can't even interview until next week and it's doom already.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 29 of 30

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group