Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Offseason: Rejected by a hobo, we hire John Lynch as GM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AustrianNiner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jags - Marrone
Broncos - Joseph
Bills - McDermott
Rams - (likely) McVay

Leaves the Chargers and the Niners. Lynn aside, the Chargers interviewed different guys than the Niners did so perhaps they are not in each others way. At this point I'm a bit surprised that the Chargers were to only franchise to interview Dave Toub(i think), got a lot of hype 2 weeks ago.

Basically means we have more or less all the time in the world to get the guys we want, maybe it is indeed one of those who are still in the play-offs. Can't say I'm disappointed that the 49ers didn't end up with one of those about to be hired by another team, also think it's good that we have enough time to pick the guys who can handle the rebuilding process and more or less no competition.

But of course, it's Jed York so..
sbrown

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Interviewing McDonough on Friday.

official vance to denver, also they are trying to retain Wade phillips.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbrown wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

the latter is surprising. thought he was as good as gone. Heard he was a DC candidate for Mcvay if he took the rams' job.
Fureys49ers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbrown wrote:
J-ALL-DAY wrote:

I heard they were not expected to retain Phillips after Joseph hire. Also read a rumor that McVay if hired as head coach really wants Phillips as his dc. God, Wolf, McVay and Phillips is almost too tempting
NcFinest9erFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean McDermott has agreed to become the next head coach of the Buffalo Bills

via La Canfora.
Fureys49ers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's down to McDaniels with ? at DC or Shannahan with Morris at DC. I'm wary that both top coaches are still available but on the surface looks great for us.
NcFinest9erFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fureys49ers wrote:
So it's down to McDaniels with ? at DC or Shannahan with Morris at DC. I'm wary that both top coaches are still available but on the surface looks great for us.

I understand the wait on hiring a HC if it is McDaniels of Shanahan since they aren't out of the playoffs yet we can't "hire" either one but the wait on GM is starting to get to me.
Fureys49ers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NcFinest9erFan wrote:
Fureys49ers wrote:

I understand the wait on hiring a HC if it is McDaniels of Shanahan since they aren't out of the playoffs yet we can't "hire" either one but the wait on GM is starting to get to me.

Haha didn't even think about that, good call. I get the wait on the GM part though cause we are the only ones shopping for one so why not hear from them all
NcFinest9erFan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fureys49ers wrote:
NcFinest9erFan wrote:
Fureys49ers wrote:

Haha didn't even think about that, good call. I get the wait on the GM part though cause we are the only ones shopping for one so why not hear from them all

Either Jed is trying his best to hire the right guy or he's clueless and we are gonna get gamble at the end....................
Gore Whore 21

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fureys49ers wrote:
NcFinest9erFan wrote:
Fureys49ers wrote:

Yeah, this makes a lot of sense. I guess we do have the luxury of covering all bases, being the only team in the market for a GM. Not sure how well the candidates like waiting, but I've made my preference known, and really hope it shakes out that way. I agree with the coaching theory as well, they must feel very good about one, or both of, Shanny and McDaniels.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Benjamin Franklin
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://niners.vsporto.com/episode/18277/the-haberman-and-middlekauff-podcast-the-scouting-report-on-gm-candidate-louis-riddick/

Middlekauff discussing Riddick.

Also, Barrows doesn't think Caserio should be counted out yet.

El ramster on the sig
Forge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the McDermott hiring in Buffalo, wonder if that means Lynn will be a legit candidate for our job? He's sort of flown under the radar - everyone had him penciled in to Buffalo. He's interviewed with us 2 years in a row, so obviously there's something there that we like.

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The 49ers had hoped to hire a G.M. first, but ran into brick walls when trying to Chiefs director of player personnel Chris Ballard (their “first choice, second choice, and third choice,” we’ve been told) and Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio.

There’s a theory currently making the rounds in league circles that the 49ers will hire either Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels or Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan. And the thinking is that whoever doesn’t land that job won’t be making the step up in 2017.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

So does that mean they were both denied interviews until after the season? Will York and Marathe wait that long to interview these two?

El ramster on the sig
Uncle_Rico

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jed, while having done a terrible job the last several years, has done a good job of putting us in a position to undergo a legitimate culture change by firing both Baalke and Chip.

He is dead on that the relationship between GM and coach is the most important thing going forward. But what hasn't been publicly stated, that is almost as important, is the relationship between our HC and QB going forward.

Consistently good franchises (Pats, Steelers, Packers) have the GM, coach, and QB completely in sync and are contenders year in, year out.

Which is the reason I suspect we are going after offensive minded coaches who are best suited to develop and maintain success with one QB.

From what I gather, these are the 3 legitimate candidates left:

Sean McVay
Hot coaching name. Done a great job as OC in Washington these last two years. Kirk Cousins has made tremendous strides as a player and is in line for a huge contract going forward.

With that said, I have a hard time separating Jay Gruden's offensive impact from McVay's.

McVay turns 31 this month and has just 2 years of being OC under his belt. The age doesn't bother me as much of the lack of experience.

In an organization that already has strong management, I think he'd be a better candidate. But for a 31 year old with 2 years of OC experience, to be part of a full scale culture change seems like a lot to ask.

I think his biggest selling point is that there's actually a small chance Kirk Cousins is available. In which case he could start in a new place with a QB who has two years in his system already. However, that is a highly unlikely scenario.

Overall, McVay strikes me as a guy who goes through a round of interviews this year and gets a HC job in the next year or two. If he struggles with that then he goes back to OC before becoming a great HC candidate again. He's essentially McDaniels from 7 years ago.

Kyle Shanahan

Shanahan was a quarterback's coach in 2007, and since has been an OC for the last 8 years. He's had his ups and downs with jobs, but what I like best is he took Matt Ryan to the next level. The Youtube video I posted shows the type of relationship he's learned to develop with his QB's and that is one of the most vital traits of our next HC.

The issue I have with young Shanny is that he won't have Matt Ryan. He's gonna have to start from scratch with a QB, either through the draft or free agency. That QB is going to take time to learn his system. There is no easy QB to pair with Shanahan.

He also has never been a HC before, and while 8 years of being OC is fantastic preparation for that, I feel coaches don't fully understand what it means to be a HC until they've done it. And oftentimes they fail in their first stint because of that. It is no surprise that many successful coaches have been fired before.

With that being said I think he is a great candidate and clearly top 2 with McDaniels.

Josh McDaniels

McDaniels was a QB coach for the Patriots in 04-05, then OC from 06-08, then Denver's HC from 09-10, then the Rams OC in 11, then back to the Pats OC/QB's coach from 12-now.

Depending on how you look at his HC stint, McDaniels arguably has the best resume of the group. I look at his failure in Denver as a positive. No better way to find out your flaws than fail the way he did. Whether or not he can make adjustments in his next HC job is the real question.

Brady notwithstanding, McDaniels did a good job with Matt Cassell, Kyle Orton, and in their brief stints both Garapollo and Brissett.

The thing that stands out to me above all else is there being a chance to pair Garapollo with McDaniels.

Garapollo has had limited real game experience so far. Starting twice this season, throwing for 500 yards, 4 TD's, 0 INT's. I also watched those games and he certainly passed the eye test for me.

While that is little to go off of it is more than any draft prospect and McDaniels has seen the kid every day in practice for his whole NFL career.

The value of a QB who is going into his 4th year in a system is astronomical. Having your most important position knowing how everything works before everyone else can give him a leg up as a leader in the locker room and boost his confidence.

Any GM that would come in with McDaniels would undoubtedly consult him on the value of Garapollo. And while most fans would be hesitant to give up too much, he is significantly more valuable to a Josh McDaniels team than any other one and I'd be willing to give up some good draft picks for that. Easily our 2nd and 4th, and a little more if necessary.

McDaniels gives us the best chance at GM, HC, QB synergy immediately. Garapollo would grow with the team as we acquire more talent through the draft and free agency. But our foundation would be built.

If McDaniels does not advise us to go after Jimmy G, then to me he's on the same level as Shanahan. But having a young player available who would be going into his 4th year in the system would provide a great foundation for this franchise.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, Middlekauff is going off on Shannahan right now. Middlekauff is saying none of the media will report it, but the interviews have not been going pretty bad and he is insisting on bringing his father in some role.

So looks like that Redskins article on him was accurate.

El ramster on the sig

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 45, 46, 47 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 46 of 100

Jump to: