Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 17 GDT: Green Bay Packers (9-6) @ Detroit Lions (9-6)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus1337 wrote:
I agree that you have been on the raw end of the calls at times. The "Phantom Facemask" looked like a regular facemask at real speed. Rodgers definitely played it up but the refs don't review penalties.

I actually think you have more of a point regarding Hyde. However both players were hand checking down the field and Hyde turned to track the ball. I think it was defensive holding because he did seem to reroute the receiver after 10 yards but he turned around with the ball in the air and they both were hand checking. Whoever the wide receiver was should have sold the PI which he really didn't. I think its more coaching than screw job by the refs. The wide receive did not even bother try to fight past Hyde. He almost looked like he was trying to block Hyde down the field.

I can understand the sensitivity to the calls but it seems to be way over the top compared to what the refs actually saw / didn't see. I wouldn't say either of those calls are "Blatant".

The phantom facemask, which was flagged by the ref that couldn't see Rodgers' facemask at the time, was as believable real time as the Golden Tate simultaneous catch hail mary. But it doesn't even matter that it was 'close': the call was wrong, was flagged by an official in poor position, and influenced the outcome of a game.

When the ball was in the air toward Tate, Hyde had his back to the ball and his arms wrapped around Tate's arms/body. I'm not sure if I've seen a more blatant interference not flagged. It doesn't matter that Hyde then turned around and played the ball: he first blatantly interfered and should have been flagged. Tate was trying to free himself from Hyde's grasp to make a play on the ball.

Which, if I've learned anything from these two calls, it's that Tate should've pulled a Rodgers by throwing himself on the ground and crying until the ref threw the flag. Thank god our players don't do that trash.

Team Stylish

"May my enemies live long so they can see me progress."
CentralFC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Spartacus1337 wrote:
I agree that you have been on the raw end of the calls at times. The "Phantom Facemask" looked like a regular facemask at real speed. Rodgers definitely played it up but the refs don't review penalties.

I actually think you have more of a point regarding Hyde. However both players were hand checking down the field and Hyde turned to track the ball. I think it was defensive holding because he did seem to reroute the receiver after 10 yards but he turned around with the ball in the air and they both were hand checking. Whoever the wide receiver was should have sold the PI which he really didn't. I think its more coaching than screw job by the refs. The wide receive did not even bother try to fight past Hyde. He almost looked like he was trying to block Hyde down the field.

I can understand the sensitivity to the calls but it seems to be way over the top compared to what the refs actually saw / didn't see. I wouldn't say either of those calls are "Blatant".

The phantom facemask, which was flagged by the ref that couldn't see Rodgers' facemask at the time, was as believable real time as the Golden Tate simultaneous catch hail mary. But it doesn't even matter that it was 'close': the call was wrong, was flagged by an official in poor position, and influenced the outcome of a game.

When the ball was in the air toward Tate, Hyde had his back to the ball and his arms wrapped around Tate's arms/body. I'm not sure if I've seen a more blatant interference not flagged. It doesn't matter that Hyde then turned around and played the ball: he first blatantly interfered and should have been flagged. Tate was trying to free himself from Hyde's grasp to make a play on the ball.

Which, if I've learned anything from these two calls, it's that Tate should've pulled a Rodgers by throwing himself on the ground and crying until the ref threw the flag. Thank god our players don't do that trash.

Still pouring your heart and soul into criticism of officials...

I forgot Golden Tate was a class act when he "caught the Fail Mary" pass. Totally respectable post-game presser.

And right--Detroit's been a pillar of quality, clean, sportsmanlike play the last few years. Thank goodness they don't resort to that trash Laughing Laughing

How can he dig a hole if he's too busy sitting on his hands?
nagahide13

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suh isn't even on this team anymore. If we're going that route, so be it.

CFC continuing to show why he's one of the least respected volume posters on the forum.
CentralFC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nagahide13 wrote:
Suh isn't even on this team anymore. If we're going that route, so be it.

CFC continuing to show why he's one of the least respected volume posters on the forum.

lol.

I'm saddened.

TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although impossible to top Sharper, there's always this little guy:

You know, if pretending that referencing the few dirty players of a team's past means anything. (Hint: it doesn't.)

The officials have the same potential impact on a game as the players and coaches do, so discussing their performance in the game thread makes sense. (Unless your team is known for benefitting from their mistakes on a regular basis. Then it's unreasonable.)

Team Stylish

CentralFC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

You know, if pretending that referencing the few dirty players of a team's past means anything. (Hint: it doesn't.)

The officials have the same potential impact on a game as the players and coaches do,
so discussing their performance in the game thread makes sense. (Unless your team is known for benefitting from their mistakes on a regular basis. Then it's unreasonable.)

Then why not amend your GDTs to "Detroit Lions vs. [Insert Team]/NFL Officials"

My goodness--are you kidding with this? Laughing Laughing Laughing

TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:

The officials have the same potential impact on a game as the players and coaches do,
so discussing their performance in the game thread makes sense. (Unless your team is known for benefitting from their mistakes on a regular basis. Then it's unreasonable.)

Then why not amend your GDTs to "Detroit Lions vs. [Insert Team]/NFL Officials"

My goodness--are you kidding with this? Laughing Laughing Laughing

The statement that you bolded above is true for any team/game. Officials are humans and make errors. Their errors are critical, and can directly influence the outcome of a game. (I bet Rodgers would agree, considering he constantly begs for flags when they need help moving the ball.)

We as fans point to one bad throw by a QB, or one fumble by a RB, and make the argument that those mistakes were critical to the final score. An official who neglects to call a blatant infraction which leads directly to a key turnover has that same impact.

Team Stylish

Packerraymond

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus1337 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
Spartacus1337 wrote:
TL-TwoWinsAway wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
dang, lions got called for "every little thing" and only had 5 enforced penalties. That sounds like they played mistake-free football. That usually results in a blow-out win. What happened?

What? Mistakes only appear on the number of enforced penalties on a stat sheet?

I'm not in here to start anything but the issue I have with this is that your using a whole heap of confirmation bias. I was in your forum a couple of different times and it was blatantly obvious that a number of posters were looking for penalties (Calls or no calls) for the packers.

Yet, on one play the packers converted a 1st down only to have it called back on a block in the back penalty that was obviously not a block in the back. I go into your forum after and no one even mentioned that the refs screwed up. Every post around it is trashing the refs but an obvious penalty that wasn't is not even brought up.

I know our line holds. Its a veteran line that knows how to get away with holding as they mostly keep there hands inside. That is a taught veteran move. Most well coached O lines you will see the same strategy employed. I guarantee you that the Lions are doing the same thing on most plays and if I play the line in slow motion I will see a lot of the same holds.

I'm not in here to trash your forum even if I was pretty harsh on game day but if your going to complain that the league is rigged or the Packers cheat I wholeheartedly disagree. Your just seeing what you want to see when you want to see it and ignoring all the evidence that points to your team getting the same benefits/negatives.

I just reviewed the entire play by play and didn't see a block in the back penalty called against the Packers. Please clarify the play and I'll happily take a look.

That being said, I'm guessing your fanbase was up in arms about the number of blatantly missed holds committed by the Packers, as well as the missed defensive pass interference against Hyde, right? Probably not. One poor call against the Packers (if there even was one) doesn't negate how the officiating was clearly favoring the Packers.

The Lions' offensive line isn't a "veteran line who knows how to get away with holding"... I wish they were. It's a huge advantage. (Not being sarcastic, it really is.) We just don't have that yet, and neutralizing our DLine by holding constantly hurt the defense.

First the phantom facemask last year, then the blatant defensive pass interference not called against Hyde this year. Both key officiating mistakes that had a significant impact on the outcome of each game.

FYI the play was in the fourth quarter by TJ Lang. I believe it negated a 3rd and manageable. The difference though is that Rodgers threw to Geronimo Allison the very next play for 31 and the first down.

Shocked You mean you can overcome an occasional bad call and not blame everything on the refs?

To the rational Lions fans I've read in this thread, good game, was fun to watch. I'm rooting for you guys against Seattle.

To the ref whiners, give me a break. Our entire first half offense was derailed by penalty after penalty, including two "false starts" that were offsides. There were poor calls on both sides as in every football game. One team outplayed the other in the 2nd half and won the game. There's your difference.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerraymond wrote:
To the ref whiners, give me a break. Our entire first half offense was derailed by penalty after penalty, including two "false starts" that were offsides. There were poor calls on both sides as in every football game. One team outplayed the other in the 2nd half and won the game. There's your difference.

Haha. There were a total of eight penalties called against the Packers in the first half: two were declined, one was on a punt return, one was a blatant defensive offside, and one was a delay of game. That leaves THREE judgment call penalties in an entire half of football. Three. And those were the 'penalty after penalty' calls that 'derailed' your offense?!

It makes sense: prior to the bad second half calls, the Lions had a lead. Then offensive holding went ignored (the other Packers' fan admitted that the line holds frequently) and they gifted the Packers with a game-sealing INT.

I'd absolutely love to see a Packers/Cowboys rematch, if only to watch the two teams with the most ref love in the NFC face off against each other. I just don't see the Giants being beat right now, which is why I said before the game that playing SEA on the road gives us a better chance of advancing.

Team Stylish

CentralFC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still going. Probably could publish a scintillating book on this topic.

TL-TwoWinsAway

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I just always assumed that a football internet forum was the right place to discuss football.

Team Stylish

diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralFC wrote:
Still going. Probably could publish a scintillating book on this topic.

Still wasting bandwidth I see. Your scintillating comment is full of insight and adds so much to the discussion.

Sig by Smack

Team Stylish
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got called too abrasive at work the other day, so I'm holding back hard right now so I can prove that jerkoff wrong.
theuntouchable

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
I got called too abrasive at work the other day, so I'm holding back hard right now so I can prove that jerkoff wrong.

That won't last long. Laughing

MathMan wrote:
anyone around?

I feel..so cold.
Nnivolcm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had Lions fans banned for going into the Packers forum and trolling less. We have a Packer mod in here trolling and no one bats an eye.
All hail Nnivolcm.

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 21 of 22

Jump to: