Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2017 Full Offseason

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhoDatNation

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: 2017 Full Offseason Reply with quote

As most of you are probably aware, Sean Payton and Dennis Allen will not be going anywhere. Given that, here is my very early, 1st mock offseason...

Notable cuts/ FAs not retained:
1. Tim Lelito
2. Brandon Coleman
3. Kyle Wilson
4. Tim Hightower
5. Jahri Evans

Resigned Players
1. Kenny Vacarro
2. Willie Snead
3. Nick Fairley
4. Sterling Moore

FA Acquisitions
Ronald Leary OG Dallas Cowboys
Trumaine Johnson CB St Louis Rams

Draft
Round 1.
Derek Barnett DE Tennessee- Our biggest need falls right into our laps. He may not becas good as Myles Garrett, but he is still the missing piece to bookend our D Line.

Round 2. Bucky Hodges TE Virginia Tech- The Coby Fleener experiment was a disaster. We always say that Brees makes players into stars, i.e. Jimmy Graham, Ben Watson, etc. If Fleener can't thrive with Andrew Luck or Drew Brees, maybe he's just not that good. Hodges is a red zone beast. He will fit in nice with WRs that stretch the field like Cooks, Snead, and Thomas.

Round 3. Marquis Haynes DE/OLB Ole Miss- Haynes is undersized as a DE, but he is surprisingly strong at the point of attack. OLB is probably a better fit, but we can't stop at just 1 pass rusher. Picture Haynes being the Danelle Ellerbe that can play more than a quarter without getting injured.

Round 4. Malachi Dupree WR LSU- The Brandon Coleman era has ended. He's never been able to play consistently. I know many of you will say, "A WR!!!!!", but when you consider that we don't know the future of Brandin Cooks beyond 2017, a value of Dupree in the 4th os an easy choice. Now, Sean Payton has shied away from LSU players in the past, but I think Dupree will be a better pro than collegiate; therefore, he can't be passed on. 4th for Dupree? C'mon, EXCELLENT VALUE.

Round 6. Jalen Reeves Maybin LB Tennessee- Injuries cost Maybin his season and draft value. If he declares for the draft, I think he will fall because of that injury. I see JRM comparing to Danny Trevathan.

Round 7. De'Veon Smith RB Michigan- Mark Ingram will be our lead back in 2017, but his future beyond that is uncertain. D Smith may not have the Fournette/Cook resume, but he's a solid bruiser that can shoulder a heavy workload, and he can serve as Ingram's immediate back up.

Whatcha Got, Worm?
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Full Offseason Reply with quote

WhoDatNation wrote:
As most of you are probably aware, Sean Payton and Dennis Allen will not be going anywhere. Given that, here is my very early, 1st mock offseason...

Notable cuts/ FAs not retained:
1. Tim Lelito
2. Brandon Coleman
3. Kyle Wilson
4. Tim Hightower
5. Jahri Evans

Resigned Players
1. Kenny Vacarro
2. Willie Snead
3. Nick Fairley
4. Sterling Moore

FA Acquisitions
Ronald Leary OG Dallas Cowboys
Trumaine Johnson CB St Louis Rams

Draft
Round 1.
Derek Barnett DE Tennessee- Our biggest need falls right into our laps. He may not becas good as Myles Garrett, but he is still the missing piece to bookend our D Line.

Round 2. Bucky Hodges TE Virginia Tech- The Coby Fleener experiment was a disaster. We always say that Brees makes players into stars, i.e. Jimmy Graham, Ben Watson, etc. If Fleener can't thrive with Andrew Luck or Drew Brees, maybe he's just not that good. Hodges is a red zone beast. He will fit in nice with WRs that stretch the field like Cooks, Snead, and Thomas.

Round 3. Marquis Haynes DE/OLB Ole Miss- Haynes is undersized as a DE, but he is surprisingly strong at the point of attack. OLB is probably a better fit, but we can't stop at just 1 pass rusher. Picture Haynes being the Danelle Ellerbe that can play more than a quarter without getting injured.

Round 4. Malachi Dupree WR LSU- The Brandon Coleman era has ended. He's never been able to play consistently. I know many of you will say, "A WR!!!!!", but when you consider that we don't know the future of Brandin Cooks beyond 2017, a value of Dupree in the 4th os an easy choice. Now, Sean Payton has shied away from LSU players in the past, but I think Dupree will be a better pro than collegiate; therefore, he can't be passed on. 4th for Dupree? C'mon, EXCELLENT VALUE.

Round 6. Jalen Reeves Maybin LB Tennessee- Injuries cost Maybin his season and draft value. If he declares for the draft, I think he will fall because of that injury. I see JRM comparing to Danny Trevathan.

Round 7. De'Veon Smith RB Michigan- Mark Ingram will be our lead back in 2017, but his future beyond that is uncertain. D Smith may not have the Fournette/Cook resume, but he's a solid bruiser that can shoulder a heavy workload, and he can serve as Ingram's immediate back up.

Whatcha Got, Worm?

Haha I'll be sure to post a mock offseason but waiting till end of regular season to do so...

I like your direction and I agree Payton isn't going anywhere. Barnett would be an excellent fit if he fell however so would a few of this deep class of edge rushers. Haynes is returning to Ole Miss next season and from all I'm hearing Dupree will return to LSU as well. I'm glad you threw a TE in your mock because I personally feel this is an unusually deep class at the position and the Saints could very well be releasing Fleener after 2017 if he does not produce so a good young TE is a hidden need on this team.

So much will depend on FA for us... I do believe that edge rusher, Guard and cornerback are our top needs this offseason. Leary would be a good pickup and he was so close to becoming a Saint via trade this year that he was contacting current Saints players about coming. I'm on the fence on Trumaine Johnson, it will really depend on price. He's likely the best available but to me not worth the money he will likely comand. This is a deep draft of corners this year... might be better off going that route.

WHODAT91FOREVER

Last edited by whodatworm23 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
WhoDatNation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Full Offseason Reply with quote

With Dupree it's just local rumblings I'm hearing... coach O is selling him on the fact that he'd be featured in Matt Canada's offense next year and will increase his draft stock... which is likely accurate if he remains healthy.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 2017 Full Offseason Reply with quote

WhoDatNation wrote:
With Dupree it's just local rumblings I'm hearing... coach O is selling him on the fact that he'd be featured in Matt Canada's offense next year and will increase his draft stock... which is likely accurate if he remains healthy.

Dam whodatnation It appears I edited your post by mistake... sorry about that lol

WHODAT91FOREVER
Jlowe22

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to have Leary. A beastly offensive line, a year's improvement for our young WR core, a TE that can actually catch balls, prime Ingram and hopefully Payton improving his playcalling(yeah right), and I think we'd be scary assuming Brees doesn't fall off a cliff.

A DE and a pass rush to help mask our flawed DBs, maybe create some turnovers, and we'd be scary.

But also, our special teams is a complete disaster, they've directly cost us several wins and perhaps a wild card spot. They routinely screw up kick returns, allow kicks to be blocked, mental errors galore, they need a complete overhaul. Consistently having decent field position would do us wonders.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't be opposed to us taking Jordan Willis DE K State and Tyquan Lewis DE Ohio State, round 1 and 2. I know that we have other needs, but pass rush is our biggest problem. We need depth. Willis and Lewis would be great.
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an LSU fan, I don't like Dupree. Dude hasn't lived up to any of the hype and has been fairly average at best. Tools are there though I suppose. Guessing he returns anyways. I want Barnett if he's there, but I have my doubts. Takkarist McKinley anyone?

Saints
Astros
Pelicans

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: