Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 17 GDT Oakland Raiders @ Denver Broncos
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul-mac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Week 17 GDT Oakland Raiders @ Denver Broncos Reply with quote

Technically I shouldn't be starting another GDT since we lost last night but who cares since we are out anyway. Heck most of us are probably actively hoping to lose so maybe it's a good idea for me to make this.

Anyway, this game should serve as a 2017 preview for me. Paxton Lynch should get the start and I would bench anyone that's unlikely to be on the team next year. For me that means sit downs for Justin Forsett, Russell Okung, Sylvester Williams. Matt Paradis should sit out to avoid aggravating his injury which already requires surgery and whilst Demarcus Ware should play a cameo to applaud the Mile High fans after a fantastic 3-year stint, Shane Ray should play most snaps opposite Miller.

I actually expect us to win this game because I don't see the Raiders doing anything on offense with Matt McGloin whilst a couple of turnovers will give Paxton short fields.

Denver 20 (Paxton to Sanders, and a Roby pick 6)
Oakland 10

Fify.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Week 17 GDT Oakland Raiders @ Denver Broncos Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
Technically I shouldn't be starting another GDT since we lost last night but who cares since we are out anyway. Heck most of us are probably actively hoping to lose so maybe it's a good idea for me to make this.

Anyway, this game should serve as a 2017 preview for me. Paxton Lynch should get the start and I would bench anyone that's unlikely to be on the team next year. For me that means sit downs for Justin Forsett, Russell Okung, Sylvester Williams. Matt Paradis should sit out to avoid aggravating his injury which already requires surgery and whilst Demarcus Ware should play a cameo to applaud the Mile High fans after a fantastic 3-year stint, Shane Ray should play most snaps opposite Miller.

I actually expect us to win this game because I don't see the Raiders doing anything on offense with Matt McGloin whilst a couple of turnovers will give Paxton short fields.

Denver 20 (Paxton to Sanders, and a Roby pick 6)
Oakland 10

No worries, but what will a W be considered as? A success, or jinx? Laughing

Anyways, things to look for:

-Lynch has 4 areas to look for progress - read progression, footwork under center (which really affected his accuracy last 2 games he played), looking off the safeties, and if he can show anything beyond the first 15-20 plays (which are scripted, and which he gets to practice over & over).

-Booker taking a full load, and seeing if he builds on KC's progress. Realistically we need to focus on trench help, maybe even CB - time to see if we think CJ & Booker as our 2 main guys can shoulder the load next season.

-Heuermann showing more as a TE - KC was a tough draw, but if we think he and Derby are our 2 main guys next year, with a very deep TE class (we shouldn't spend an early pick, but in a deep class you can go Rd 4 and probably get the 3rd-5th TE off the board, who might be the 1st in other years).

-Love to see McGovern and see how raw he is - has to be the reason he's not on the field at all.

-On the D side, first and foremost, would love to see Peko and Gostis get snaps, and see how close they are to helping.

-Safety-wise, definitely want to see Simmons & Parks more, they had growing pains last night in run & screen support, but I liked what Simmons did in coverage, a lot more contested plays.

We need to understand that a full offseason, OTA's and preseason can bridge any gaps we see next week, so you definitely can't predict where those guys will be next season from this alone, but it would be great to see where they need work, and what they're already bringing to the table.
The Helicopter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Raiders should be eager to prove they can win without Carr and are better than the Broncos. They have a lot to play for whereas the Broncos don't even have pride at this point. I expect our offense to struggle and the D to be inconsistent.
Raiders 16
Broncos 10
"I don't think he was happy with the cologne I was wearing. I was wearing a lot of it and I guess he wasn't happy with it. I was on him a lot at the end of the game so everybody doesn't like my smell."
-Von Miller
bobdevine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Broncos draft spot will be affected by this game. The Broncos are currently in the 19th spot. Depending on the game's outcome and other factors, the Broncos could pick between 16-20. We'll know by next week.

This game is hard to predict. Without Carr playing, can Phillips game-plan for the new QB? My guess is that Oakland will use lots of running plays and simple passes.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobdevine wrote:
The Broncos draft spot will be affected by this game. The Broncos are currently in the 19th spot. Depending on the game's outcome and other factors, the Broncos could pick between 16-20. We'll know by next week.

This game is hard to predict. Without Carr playing, can Phillips game-plan for the new QB? My guess is that Oakland will use lots of running plays and simple passes.

I posted this in the College thread, but might as well clarify for others here as well. Bob is 100 percent correct for Round 1 - we basically pick later than anyone we're tied with, because our SoS is higher than anyone else in the 7-8/8-7 range - so we realistically can pick no higher than 16th for Round 1. And again, as there are no teams from the NFC East that we're competing with (the only division with a SoS that's better than ours), whoever we tie with, they pick ahead of us in Rd 1 (then they flip the order in Rd 2, so on even-numbered rounds, we'd move up to the top spot of any tie).

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/12/24/14076782/nfl-draft-order-2017-49ers-browns-bears-jaguars

So, a loss could drop us as low as 16th, a W as high as 20th for Round 1 (If we're tied and at the bottom of the group of any ties, we are the back for Rd 1 and odd-numbered rounds, but we actually move up in even-numbered rounds as they flip the order of ties, so we could be higher than #16 in Rd 2). Look at how many teams who miss the playoffs who have a better record than us, and start subtracting down from 20th for Rd 1. For even-numbered rounds, look at the highest slot for a team tied with us record-wise in Rd 1 & odd-numbered rounds, and that's becomes our slot for even-numbered rounds.
elliot878

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10622/trevor-siemian

Sounds like Paxton Lynch will start this one. I think it's good to get another look at him before the season ends. I'm all for tanking this one and getting a higher draft pick.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot878 wrote:

Sounds like Paxton Lynch will start this one. I think it's good to get another look at him before the season ends. I'm all for tanking this one and getting a higher draft pick.

Siemian had some time this week to throw and had his worst game as a pro I'm all for Lynch. Trevor is a high level backup nothing more.

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
bobdevine

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should the Broncos win or lose this game?

Why win?
1) It's the hated Raiders, 'nuf said
2) Close the Bronco season on a positive note
3) Make the Chiefs get the tougher 2017 schedule

Why lose?
1) Improve Bronco draft position
2) Prevent the Chiefs from getting the top spot in division
3) A loss to the Raiders means that Chiefs will have a harder playoff
4) It's a meaningless game so just use it to evaluate players
Joe_is_the_best

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course we're not going to tank per se, but the coaching staff's goal next game is firstly to find out what we have in players like Lynch, Booker and hopefully empty out the cupboard and see if any olineman aside from Paradis is worth keeping.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanna lose for draft picks. But I also want Paxton to make like 4 flash explosive plays to make Elway really wanna shake things up. To bring in a new scheme and coach to have hope for the future.

Big Palooka wrote:
"They don't have to worry about him making consistent passes. They will win another 2-3 max with him at QB."
Broncofan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klis reporting Siemian will start, but Lynch will "see time".

If it's a victory lap for Siemian to play 1 drive, as nod to him being our 2016 guy, great. But as we want to see Lynch, and we'd prefer to lose, hope that's all it is. Laughing
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siemian will start, Lynch will play. Sounds like a preseason game.

Quote:
Trevor Siemian will start Sunday when the Broncos host the Raiders in their regular-season finale. But he and rookie quarterback Paxton Lynch are expected to get playing time.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/12/28/broncos-trevor-siemian-start-vs-raiders/

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
elliot878

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebestever6 wrote:
elliot878 wrote:

Siemian had some time this week to throw and had his worst game as a pro I'm all for Lynch. Trevor is a high level backup nothing more.

There's really no way of knowing what either QB on our roster is. You can't evaluate accurately behind such a terrible offensive line.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broncofan wrote:

If it's a victory lap for Siemian to play 1 drive, as nod to him being our 2016 guy, great. But as we want to see Lynch, and we'd prefer to lose, hope that's all it is. Laughing

Whether or not Paxton plays to me is meaningless. We know what he can and can't do and that won't have changed much.

Hopefully what this signals though is we might be getting early or final tryouts at a few positions.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
Broncofan wrote:

Whether or not Paxton plays to me is meaningless. We know what he can and can't do and that won't have changed much.

Hopefully what this signals though is we might be getting early or final tryouts at a few positions.

As long as he doesn't get hurt, this game helps Lynch to get more game experience. It's just that it's normally at the cost of improving our chances to win that game. But in this case that's a good thing for us.

I'm with you that he's not ready now and how he progresses over the offseason OTA and preseason that will be more important. That was always the likely outcome. But since losing Sunday helps our long term plans draft wise, as long as injury risk isn't unacceptable then we might as well see what's improved, and what needs the most work - there's no substitute for NFL game speed film against a D that wants to win. Do it repeatedly before a guy is ready you do run the risk of bad habits setting in (like throwing off back foot facing pressure), but at 1 game the risk is minimal.

I say the above as someone who always held that Siemian gave us the best chance to win games this year (and Lynch's slow progression certainly proved that). Since that's no longer a good thing...well you get the idea.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: