You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Trade the top pick?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ether

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duke2056 wrote:
Bonanza23 wrote:

Oh how interesting! So we are practically in agreement. Weirdly enough I have been advocating trading down with one of our picks this year to gain ammo to move up next year to grab our QOTF. That is if they don't feel that guy is there this year. Hmmmm. So I guess next year you will be screaming for said QB?

Oh and I have to ask, what QB are you targeting next Year? Is said QB declaring? Will said QB break his ankle and fall? Will he get exposed with more film on him? Easy questions as we know exactly what to expect. Yes?

Or are we going to be exactly where we are today? Next years class is better than this years. We should trade down and draft a guy next year. Next year will be better, I'm sure of it.

It's simple. If they do not feel there is a QB worth taking at the top of the draft this year, trade back to try and set yourself up for that possibility next year.

If the same situation arises again, well, repeat what you do this year.

Same situation in 2019? Repeat again.

Worst case scenario is you never land that QB at the top of the draft, but keep gaining extra QUALITY picks.

Best case, you land that QB.

If they use pick 12 to do this, I see no downside. Even if we pass on what turns out to be a great player at 12, if we use that pick to trade down year after year we will add a "free" 1st or 2nd rounder to our team every season until we decide to stop trading one of our two 1st round picks.

I feel like the goal is to not to inherent a first round pick worth 2 avg. first round picks in the first place. The idea we should keep doing this into 2019 is absurd, everybody will be fired and our team will be going nowhere. Evidence by the last 15+ years. But that's just me.
duke2056

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ether wrote:
duke2056 wrote:
Bonanza23 wrote:

Oh how interesting! So we are practically in agreement. Weirdly enough I have been advocating trading down with one of our picks this year to gain ammo to move up next year to grab our QOTF. That is if they don't feel that guy is there this year. Hmmmm. So I guess next year you will be screaming for said QB?

Oh and I have to ask, what QB are you targeting next Year? Is said QB declaring? Will said QB break his ankle and fall? Will he get exposed with more film on him? Easy questions as we know exactly what to expect. Yes?

Or are we going to be exactly where we are today? Next years class is better than this years. We should trade down and draft a guy next year. Next year will be better, I'm sure of it.

It's simple. If they do not feel there is a QB worth taking at the top of the draft this year, trade back to try and set yourself up for that possibility next year.

Worst case scenario is you never land that QB at the top of the draft, but keep gaining extra QUALITY picks.

If they use pick 12 to do this, I see no downside. Even if we pass on what turns out to be a great player at 12, if we use that pick to trade down year after year we will add a "free" 1st or 2nd rounder to our team every season until we decide to stop trading one of our two 1st round picks.

I feel like the goal is to not to inherent a first round pick worth 2 avg. first round picks in the first place. The idea we should keep doing this into 2019 is absurd, everybody will be fired and our team will be going nowhere. Evidence by the last 15+ years. But that's just me.

Why would everybody be fired? Each year from now until then we would have the best assortment of picks in the league. We should still be able to draft good players and improve a lot.

There are several organizations that have not had a high pick for a decade or more, yet they continue to draft decent players and win games.

Bottom line, just freaking draft well.
We draft Garrett at #1 (out on a limb there).
We trade back from 12 for another 2018 1st.
We do NOT draft a QB in the first 2 rounds.
Bucketheadsdad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duke2056 wrote:
Ether wrote:
duke2056 wrote:
Bonanza23 wrote:

Why would everybody be fired? Each year from now until then we would have the best assortment of picks in the league. We should still be able to draft good players and improve a lot.

There are several organizations that have not had a high pick for a decade or more, yet they continue to draft decent players and win games.

I think, that as Cleveland fans, we'd almost be happy with "draft mediocre." We have frittered away so many top draft picks that Mike Polk could do a "factory of sadness" video in Berea.
Ether

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duke2056 wrote:
Ether wrote:
duke2056 wrote:
Bonanza23 wrote:

If we are a bottom 5 team after both the 2017 and 2018 season there is little chance Hue, Sashi, or anybody is keeping their jobs. The opportunity cost of trading away those picks for less sure prospects who our front office perceive can become good players has bitten us in the [inappropriate/removed] multiple times.

100% agree with the bottom line, just don't agree with the idea just by being a pseudo-belichek you set yourself up better for success. And if we are in the same spot in 2019, we probably have not drafted well.
duke2056

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ether wrote:

If we are a bottom 5 team after both the 2017 and 2018 season there is little chance Hue, Sashi, or anybody is keeping their jobs. The opportunity cost of trading away those picks for less sure prospects who our front office perceive can become good players has bitten us in the [inappropriate/removed] multiple times.

100% agree with the bottom line, just don't agree with the idea just by being a pseudo-belichek you set yourself up better for success. And if we are in the same spot in 2019, we probably have not drafted well.

Unless it is a QB at that #1 spot, we would be silly not to entertain offers and pull the trigger if the price is right.

And people need to stop saying that trading down has bitten us in the past. I would argue that the picks we made when NOT trading down hurt us even more.

It's been the horrible picks by the horrible front offices we have had. The trades were fine because any monkey can follow the draft value chart as a guide to make draft pick trades, but we have sucked at making picks at our own draft spot and we have sucked making picks after trading down.
We draft Garrett at #1 (out on a limb there).
We trade back from 12 for another 2018 1st.
We do NOT draft a QB in the first 2 rounds.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: