Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens 2017 Roster Tracker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ilovecroissants wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:
BareYourTeeth wrote:
Pass rusher is a more foundational/important position than ILB. Correa is probably a better OLB than ILB. Hodges is probably a better ILB than Correa. Hodges probably won't be too expensive.

Correa isn't going back to OLB with Bowser, Williams, Judon, and Smith as young players already there. Not that he ever played OLB for the Ravens anyways. They started developing him as an ILB last year in training camp. For better or worse that's what the team views him as and where he will play.

Let's just hope he's not another Arthur Brown

Let's give a guy more than a year before associating with the Arthur Brown label.

Looking at you Maxx. At least with Correa we traded down twice and got Chris Moore and Matt Judon with the pick. Maxx and Arthur Brown were both trade-ups.

After passing on OJ Howard, a complete blue chip TE, and avoiding adding a pass catcher on the outside, the pressure is on this TE group to deliver.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
Looking at you Maxx. At least with Correa we traded down twice and got Chris Moore and Matt Judon with the pick. Maxx and Arthur Brown were both trade-ups.

To be fair Flacco actually has to throw to a tight end not named Pitta (when healthy) first. And the offensive coordinator actually has to get more than one pass-catching tight end not named Pitta (when healthy) on the field.

Maxx was alright towards the latter end of his rookie season although he was nicked up at some points too. Tight ends usually take time to develop anyways but he should be ready to make an impact now even with missing all of last season. Just a matter of actually getting him involved in the offense, because it's not like Pitta's role is going to be reduced.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

To be fair Flacco actually has to throw to a tight end not named Pitta (when healthy) first. And the offensive coordinator actually has to get more than one pass-catching tight end not named Pitta (when healthy) on the field.

Maxx was alright towards the latter end of his rookie season although he was nicked up at some points too. Tight ends usually take time to develop anyways but he should be ready to make an impact now even with missing all of last season. Just a matter of actually getting him involved in the offense, because it's not like Pitta's role is going to be reduced.

I'm not as worried about the Pitta checkdowns, I think it was a symptom of other offensive troubles. The short passing game was hilariously inefficient regardless of who we threw to last year (other than the Mike Wallace slant) and Flacco needs to have faith in his knee and O-line to stay in long enough for the deep ball.

The key to turning the offense around (to hopefully an average unit) is going to be the TEs. Need to throw out the notion that Pitta can block, and use him as a slot receiver. Then a player or two really needs to emerge from the rest of the pack to become like a near pro bowl talent, that's the best hope we got on that side of the ball.

Getting Greg Roman, who was the highest payed coordinator in the league before the Bills decision to fire him, was probably a big investment on Steve's part to make something of these guys. A 2nd, 3rd, 5th and a 6th round pick plus two vets earning $3-3.5M in salary.. this needs to be the group that carries our offense.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Quote:
Art Stapleton‏Verified account @art_stapleton

Also hearing mutual interest with Victor Cruz and Ravens. I'm told sides working out details for an upcoming potential visit in Baltimore.

Eh. I suppose Cruz would be at the top of my list for free agent receivers but that's not saying much. He's only ahead of Stevie Johnson, Vincent Jackson, Anquan Boldin, and Andrew Hawkins. Would still prefer the Ravens to just roll with what they have but at least there's a chance Victor has something left in the tank. Didn't look like it this past season but after sitting and rehabbing for basically two years that's not a surprise.

Hope we get him. He was my favorite for a cheap vet signing since he was cut.

Visiting a couple other teams too, though.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
I'm not as worried about the Pitta checkdowns, I think it was a symptom of other offensive troubles. The short passing game was hilariously inefficient regardless of who we threw to last year (other than the Mike Wallace slant) and Flacco needs to have faith in his knee and O-line to stay in long enough for the deep ball.

The key to turning the offense around (to hopefully an average unit) is going to be the TEs. Need to throw out the notion that Pitta can block, and use him as a slot receiver. Then a player or two really needs to emerge from the rest of the pack to become like a near pro bowl talent, that's the best hope we got on that side of the ball.

Getting Greg Roman, who was the highest payed coordinator in the league before the Bills decision to fire him, was probably a big investment on Steve's part to make something of these guys. A 2nd, 3rd, 5th and a 6th round pick plus two vets earning $3-3.5M in salary.. this needs to be the group that carries our offense.

I'm less worried about how effective the short passing game was last year than the amount of targets Pitta is still going to get. I don't think there's going to be a significant reduction in that number. Flacco having more time and confidence to throw long is great, but he's still going to lock onto his preferred targets like always. And Dennis definitely falls under that category. So there has to be a real effort into getting other guys on the field and involved in the offensive gameplan because Pitta is getting his regardless. Using him more in the slot would be great and makes getting other guys on the field much easier, but smart things and this team...

Bringing up Roman as the tight ends coach is also interesting and makes sense that they want to invest a lot in him since they've invested a lot in the tight ends. But it all comes down to Mornhinweg and Pitta. Doesn't matter who's coaching the guys individually if the coordinator doesn't get them involved and the quarterback doesn't look their way even when on the field.
Danand

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

I'm less worried about how effective the short passing game was last year than the amount of targets Pitta is still going to get. I don't think there's going to be a significant reduction in that number. Flacco having more time and confidence to throw long is great, but he's still going to lock onto his preferred targets like always. And Dennis definitely falls under that category. So there has to be a real effort into getting other guys on the field and involved in the offensive gameplan because Pitta is getting his regardless. Using him more in the slot would be great and makes getting other guys on the field much easier, but smart things and this team...

Bringing up Roman as the tight ends coach is also interesting and makes sense that they want to invest a lot in him since they've invested a lot in the tight ends. But it all comes down to Mornhinweg and Pitta. Doesn't matter who's coaching the guys individually if the coordinator doesn't get them involved and the quarterback doesn't look their way even when on the field.

You're riding this "flacco only throws to Pitta" way to much.

We have seen more often than not, than when Flacco has decent time in the pocket, he spreads the ball around. Having 10 different players with receptions is not uncommon, but when he has little time to throw and bad conditions to spread the ball around, he ofc goes to the guys who are open.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danand wrote:
You're riding this "flacco only throws to Pitta" way to much.

We have seen more often than not, than when Flacco has decent time in the pocket, he spreads the ball around. Having 10 different players with receptions is not uncommon, but when he has little time to throw and bad conditions to spread the ball around, he ofc goes to the guys who are open.

I don't think so. Without Smith or another veteran, possession target to lock onto that duty is going to fall to Pitta. Dennis getting 100+ targets again is going to happen. It's not only to Pitta either, he's just going to make up a large chunk of the targets in the passing game. And if he's doing so from the tight end position, that's going to make it very hard for other guys there to make an impact offensively. Unless the offense changes. A lot.

And as much as Flacco spreads the ball around in some games he also focuses in on one guy and feeds him the ball constantly. Whether they're open or not. It's not particularly dependent on him having time in the pocket to throw either. That's just who he is as a QB and it's not going to change at this point.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I don't have "locking on to a receiver" be it Pitta or anyone else, as a top criticism of Flacco. I think he just throws to the open guy, as much as any other QB, and more than most probably. The open guy is just too often the guy that is 3 yards down the field. I'd rather him force more balls downfield to Wallace and Perriman.

Pitta gets open at a high rate relative to our wide receivers, so he gets a lot of targets. The problem is that those routes are often for minimal gain and Pitta doesn't make much happen after the catch. The solution is to have him run more productive (deeper) routes, and/or have Flacco not settle for the checkdown as much. So personally, I also didn't see him forcing it to a covered Pitta as a thing.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
Yea, I don't have "locking on to a receiver" be it Pitta or anyone else, as a top criticism of Flacco. I think he just throws to the open guy, as much as any other QB, and more than most probably. The open guy is just too often the guy that is 3 yards down the field. I'd rather him force more balls downfield to Wallace and Perriman.

Pitta gets open at a high rate relative to our wide receivers, so he gets a lot of targets. The problem is that those routes are often for minimal gain and Pitta doesn't make much happen after the catch. The solution is to have him run more productive (deeper) routes, and/or have Flacco not settle for the checkdown as much. So personally, I also didn't see him forcing it to a covered Pitta as a thing.

Yep. And it's going to keep happening. Pitta is getting a bunch of targets. It can boil down to as simple as that if you want it to. Doesn't matter where they come from. Having him run deeper routes on a consistent basis would be great, but expecting that to happen? Eh...

If things stay the same, basically Pitta and whatever blocking tight end is in the game at times, people are going to blast Williams, Gillmore, Waller, Boyle, and Watson (if he makes the team) as being busts. But they're not getting any significant opportunity in that situation either unless Dennis gets hurt. As much as we want more variety in the offense and the tight ends used all around the formation we're still relying Mornhinweg to make that happen. I don't like those odds.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

Yep. And it's going to keep happening. Pitta is getting a bunch of targets. It can boil down to as simple as that if you want it to. Doesn't matter where they come from. Having him run deeper routes on a consistent basis would be great, but expecting that to happen? Eh...

If things stay the same, basically Pitta and whatever blocking tight end is in the game at times, people are going to blast Williams, Gillmore, Waller, Boyle, and Watson (if he makes the team) as being busts. But they're not getting any significant opportunity in that situation either unless Dennis gets hurt. As much as we want more variety in the offense and the tight ends used all around the formation we're still relying Mornhinweg to make that happen. I don't like those odds.

If all the TEs are healthy this season, I don't think Pitta will be on the field enough to get nearly as many targets as he had last year. The Ravens are going to have to get creative, and that will mean utilising guys like Waller, Williams and Gillmore, not just Dennis Pitta.

As an OC, if I was concerned that my QB had a strong tendency to throw to his best friend, even though his best friend was only good for less than nine yards per reception, I'd just keep that guy off the field whenever I wanted some explosive plays.

But I agree with those who think Flacco's reliance on Pitta is a symptom of the offense's problems, rather than a cause. Give Joe time in the pocket, and his natural tendency seems to be to go deep, when he has fast guys to throw to. We saw it with Torrey and Jacoby in 2012, and we saw him go to Boldin for the tough catches when he was under pressure.

If Joe has a good O-line, then I think we see big seasons from Wallace and Perriman.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Matthews... What would u be willing to give up for a trade... I think here may be available barring training camp injury... I think he could be a short term and long term solution and to be honest a guy like him I'd the only you're of receiver addition I would be interested in... I don't really care for a victor Cruz signing one way or another... If thats all we gon do I'd rather just sticc wit what we got
Stance Punk

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmorecareful wrote:
Jordan Matthews... What would u be willing to give up for a trade... I think here may be available barring training camp injury... I think he could be a short term and long term solution and to be honest a guy like him I'd the only you're of receiver addition I would be interested in... I don't really care for a victor Cruz signing one way or another... If thats all we gon do I'd rather just sticc wit what we got

With him being on the last year of his deal I'm thinking a 5th round, maybe?
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chargers released Orlando Franklin today after drafting Forrest Lamp and Dan Feeney a couple weeks ago. He's started every game of his career. At right tackle for three years (I think) with Denver and then shifted over the left guard for his final season there and then two in San Diego.

Only 29, will be 30 in December, and fits the mantra of getting bigger and strong up front. Not sure how good he is in particular but on the outside it makes sense for the Ravens to bring him in. Lets Siragusa develop for a year (at center?) and gives the team another option at right tackle if Lewis isn't good there/the team doesn't want him there.
Rein

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
The Chargers released Orlando Franklin today after drafting Forrest Lamp and Dan Feeney a couple weeks ago. He's started every game of his career. At right tackle for three years (I think) with Denver and then shifted over the left guard for his final season there and then two in San Diego.

Only 29, will be 30 in December, and fits the mantra of getting bigger and strong up front. Not sure how good he is in particular but on the outside it makes sense for the Ravens to bring him in. Lets Siragusa develop for a year (at center?) and gives the team another option at right tackle if Lewis isn't good there/the team doesn't want him there.

I like the idea but according to PFF he graded out horrible as a guard last year- I don't know if that will change if we move him to RT, though?
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rein wrote:
I like the idea but according to PFF he graded out horrible as a guard last year- I don't know if that will change if we move him to RT, though?

Don't care. According to PFF Zuttah wasn't horrible last year. Doesn't mean Franklin is good, like I said before I'm not too familiar with him either way, but PFF grading is fluff that shouldn't be taken into account.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 43 of 44

Jump to: