Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens 2017 Roster Tracker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 50, 51, 52  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danand

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

There you guys go. I'm still more in favor of rolling with the young players like Urschel, Jensen, or maybe Skura but if the team isn't going to give them a chance regardless then...

I don't disagree necessarily but if he's healthy, I'd much rather bring him in and at least give our inexperienced, OG convert players some sort of competition at C. He'd be a safety net in case one of these young guys struggles.

He played well till he got injured. If he comes in, he at least stabilize the position + he can teach the younger guys.

We have talent at dline, and there where questions about Jernigan. Ozzie didn't take a chance on Timmy G getting injured or not performing.

In the perfect world, Timmy would have been a starter this year and then got us a comp pick, but most likely a 4 rather than a 3. Value wise, I think this was the safest decision.
paraven

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

There you guys go. I'm still more in favor of rolling with the young players like Urschel, Jensen, or maybe Skura but if the team isn't going to give them a chance regardless then...

I don't disagree necessarily but if he's healthy, I'd much rather bring him in and at least give our inexperienced, OG convert players some sort of competition at C. He'd be a safety net in case one of these young guys struggles.

Maybe this means they are looking to move Lewis to RT. So the Oline would be Stanley/Urschel??/Mangold/Yanda/Lewis

Doesnt seem to bad on paper
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, having four picks in the top 75, instead of four in the top 100, is good. The Ravens should be able to find four immediate contributors, in this draft. But I'm greedy, I want as many picks as possible.

I won't miss Jernigan, particularly, for reasons already discussed. And I do think the Ravens are very good at developing D-linemen, and I still like a rotation with Williams, Urban, Pierce, Davis, Henry and Kaufusi. But they will surely look to add a piece or two, perhaps later in the draft. The Ravens seem to like small school guys, and have had success with them.

Mangold? Eh. Kick his tyres, but the fact that no one has been that interested in picking him up says a fair amount. Get him cheap, on a no-risk deal, and there's no harm done if his ankle doesn't hold up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
Well, having four picks in the top 75, instead of four in the top 100, is good. The Ravens should be able to find four immediate contributors, in this draft. But I'm greedy, I want as many picks as possible.

I won't miss Jernigan, particularly, for reasons already discussed. And I do think the Ravens are very good at developing D-linemen, and I still like a rotation with Williams, Urban, Pierce, Davis, Henry and Kaufusi. But they will surely look to add a piece or two, perhaps later in the draft. The Ravens seem to like small school guys, and have had success with them.

Mangold? Eh. Kick his tyres, but the fact that no one has been that interested in picking him up says a fair amount. Get him cheap, on a no-risk deal, and there's no harm done if his ankle doesn't hold up.
Agree 100000000% with all of this. Good post man.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:

I don't know about that. If Mangold is brought in it's probably to start. For what it's worth I'm no fan of the guard-to-center convert projects either but in my opinion the Ravens aren't at the point where they're contending for anything. Commit to the younger players and see what they can do. If they fail, go for the veteran stop-gaps later on. It's not going to hurt much in the meantime.

Danand wrote:
He played well till he got injured. If he comes in, he at least stabilize the position + he can teach the younger guys.

Is that actually how it works though? Do all veterans take their own time and teach other guys? I'm sure some do but it can't be a given. Who knows where Mangold falls on that spectrum. It's up to the coaches to teach and develop players, and not on the veterans to teach the younger guys how to take their jobs away from them.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:

I don't know about that. If Mangold is brought in it's probably to start. For what it's worth I'm no fan of the guard-to-center convert projects either but in my opinion the Ravens aren't at the point where they're contending for anything. Commit to the younger players and see what they can do. If they fail, go for the veteran stop-gaps later on. It's not going to hurt much in the meantime.

With Mangold, it obviously centers on the money given.

I do disagree with "just go for the young guys and if they suck, no biggie we'll just do this again next year" because that A) puts our QB at risk and B) there's no guarantee that we have that opportunity next year.

My thought on this is that the Ravens want someone else on the roster that has C experience. Whether that's via the draft or with Mangold, I expect someone to come in. I highly doubt that we'd sign Mangold or any other C prior to the draft, though. But we might as well bring him in to see where he's at.

[quote="SFPatsFan"]

Flaccomania is a genius who is an expert on literally everything he talks about so you should trust him. [/quote]
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
I do disagree with "just go for the young guys and if they suck, no biggie we'll just do this again next year" because that A) puts our QB at risk and B) there's no guarantee that we have that opportunity next year.

That's fair. Putting Flacco at risk should be avoided at all costs, although I don't think either Urschel or Jensen are bad enough where that comes into account.

As for not guaranteeing that opportunity next year... meh. If the team misses out on a 33-year-old Mangold (who would be a 34-year-old Mangold next season) then so be it. That position has to be addressed via the draft in the very soon future regardless. If not this year then possibly next unless Urschel, Jensen, Skura, other UDFA, etc. step in and solidify that position this season. Of course they could be planning on continuing to rotate veteran stopgaps there every two or three years. Sad
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jeff Zrebiec‏Verified account @jeffzrebiecsun 4m4 minutes ago

Free agent center Nick Mangold has left the Ravens facility without a deal.

Quote:
Jeff Zrebiec‏Verified account @jeffzrebiecsun 3m3 minutes ago

It doesn't mean the Ravens won't sign him in the days ahead. There's interest on both sides. Will just have to work out details.

Sounds like this might get done.
KiddKillah

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Quote:
Jeff Zrebiec‏Verified account @jeffzrebiecsun 4m4 minutes ago

Free agent center Nick Mangold has left the Ravens facility without a deal.

Quote:
Jeff Zrebiec‏Verified account @jeffzrebiecsun 3m3 minutes ago

It doesn't mean the Ravens won't sign him in the days ahead. There's interest on both sides. Will just have to work out details.

Sounds like this might get done.

How can someone like himself be asking for top dollar after his performance the past few seasons?

That's the hold up.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:

That's fair. Putting Flacco at risk should be avoided at all costs, although I don't think either Urschel or Jensen are bad enough where that comes into account.

As for not guaranteeing that opportunity next year... meh. If the team misses out on a 33-year-old Mangold (who would be a 34-year-old Mangold next season) then so be it. That position has to be addressed via the draft in the very soon future regardless. If not this year then possibly next unless Urschel, Jensen, Skura, other UDFA, etc. step in and solidify that position this season. Of course they could be planning on continuing to rotate veteran stopgaps there every two or three years. Sad

I think the NFL needs to update its policy on player designations. It's well known that teams are stashing guys on IR, because they don't want them exposed to FA or PS situations, where other teams can pinch them. But then you're left with a guy who can't practice with the team, and develop himself. I believe this was the case with Matt Skura.

They should come up with a 'designated development' label or something. Guys who can't play that year, but who are allowed to practice, without being open to other teams taking them for active roster spots. I think we'd see a drastic increase in player development. With that, we might know whether Skura is looking like an NFL calibre player.

I like what I've read about him, but I've never seen him play.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jason La Canfora‏Verified account @JasonLaCanfora 7m7 minutes ago

Ravens are nearing a deal to bring safety Lardarius Webb back into the fold. Versatile vet with deep ties in Baltimore

Quote:
Jason La Canfora‏Verified account @JasonLaCanfora 4m4 minutes ago

Ravens secondary was a huge offseason focus - add Jefferson and Carr. Now about to retain Webb at lower $. And could draft CB high as well

Solid. Hopefully Webb, Jefferson, and Weddle are all utilized.
KiddKillah

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it.

He's our top reserve for all secondary positions. Not bad. Now add a CB with one of these picks in the top 75. Secondary much improved!
ilovecroissants

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Quote:
Jason La Canfora‏Verified account @JasonLaCanfora 7m7 minutes ago

Ravens are nearing a deal to bring safety Lardarius Webb back into the fold. Versatile vet with deep ties in Baltimore

Quote:
Jason La Canfora‏Verified account @JasonLaCanfora 4m4 minutes ago

Ravens secondary was a huge offseason focus - add Jefferson and Carr. Now about to retain Webb at lower $. And could draft CB high as well

Solid. Hopefully Webb, Jefferson, and Weddle are all utilized.

I love what we've done in the secondary. Awesome that Webb is coming back home. I'd still draft 2 CB's in the top 4 rounds considering how deep it is at that position. Bring in some undrafted CB's to compete as well. See if we can get a diamond in the rough.

I wonder what number Jefferson will wear now. He said he'd give 21 back to Webb if he returned.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jeff Zrebiec‏Verified account @jeffzrebiecsun 15m15 minutes ago

Ravens WR Michael Campanaro is signing a new deal with Ravens. It will be a 1-year deal with a max value of $2 mill, per sources.

Quote:
Jeff Zrebiec‏Verified account @jeffzrebiecsun 12m12 minutes ago

This deal replaces Campanaro's RFA tender which was for $1.79 million. Now, he gets $250K roster bonus and $250K signing bonus.

Quote:
Jeff Zrebiec‏Verified account @jeffzrebiecsun 11m11 minutes ago

The new deal for Campanaro will open up about $600K of salary cap space for Ravens.

Quote:
Jeff Zrebiec‏Verified account @jeffzrebiecsun 6m6 minutes ago

Campanaro could be a key piece at WR behind Wallace and Perriman. He made a few plays in limited opportunities late in 2016.

Quote:
Brian McFarland‏ @RavensSalaryCap 2m2 minutes ago

Based on @jeffzrebiecsun's report, guessing Campanaro got a $700K salary w/ $250K signing & roster bonuses. Cap # down from $1.797M to $1.2M

Quote:
Brian McFarland‏ @RavensSalaryCap

Brian McFarland Retweeted Brian McFarland
Also guessing $250K roster bonus is only paid if he makes final 53-man roster in Sept, otherwise would have just been a $500K signing bonus.

As little confidence as I have in Campanaro it would be nice to see him out on the field. He's just hurt too often and can't produce anything worthwhile.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Camp plays, he makes plays. The guy is an NFL quality talent, and having him healthy would give the Ravens offense a potent weapon. Trouble is, as we all know, he isn't healthy very often.

I like the deal for him, because even if he doesn't play, he's costing the Ravens less money.

Great to see Webb coming back. He's one of my favourite Ravens, and I really do think that he'd be a perennial pro-bowler if not for the injuries. But to see him with the chance to be a career Raven? I like, even it.

And I like the option of having him step onto the field at FS, or as an extra DB on some passing downs. He's still a ball hawk, and will make things happen for the defense when he's out there and fresh.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 50, 51, 52  Next
Page 39 of 52

Jump to: