Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ransacking free agents for 2017...
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject: Ransacking free agents for 2017... Reply with quote

what veterans are out there we might like to see in purple next year...?

we'll start off with...

Bengals left tackle Andrew Whitworth told reporters he practiced at left guard during Wednesday’s practice with starting left guard Clint Boling out due to injury. The Bengals will miss the playoffs this season for the first time since 2010. With an uncertain future ahead in many areas, Whitworth playing some guard over the final two games — by necessity or not — could allow the team to experiment and look towards 2017 and beyond. Whitworth, who just turned 35, is a two-time Pro Bowler. He’s a free agent after the season.

Whitworth: “I think I’m playing left tackle pretty well and that’s what I’ll look to do next year. Whether that’s here or elsewhere, and hopefully I’ll get the opportunity here but if not, I just look forward to playing. Whether it’s left tackle, whether it’s somewhere else, I just look forward to the opportunity.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/12/21/whitworth-hopes-hell-be-back-with-bengals-next-season/

Everson Griffen: “We can be special. But it’s up to us.”

Last edited by vike daddy on Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Heimdallr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta imagine we will take a look at Riley Reiff if the Lions let him test the market.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watson from the Raiders, or Leary from the Cowboys if they are allowed to walk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would the current teams of the players listed above allow those players to walk in FA? They only one that makes sense is Leary. However, the Bengals should be competitive next season and the Lions are likely to make the playoffs and the Raiders already have. Who do they have to replace them? I think the Vikings being able to significantly upgrade the line in FA is not likely.
I think the Vikings overpaid for Boone this past year. He is paid as if he's elite, but he's pretty middling. However, the market for good offensive linemen is EXTREMELY tight and thus extremely expensive.
Purplexing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virginia Viking wrote:
Why would the current teams of the players listed above allow those players to walk in FA? They only one that makes sense is Leary. However, the Bengals should be competitive next season and the Lions are likely to make the playoffs and the Raiders already have. Who do they have to replace them? I think the Vikings being able to significantly upgrade the line in FA is not likely.
I think the Vikings overpaid for Boone this past year. He is paid as if he's elite, but he's pretty middling. However, the market for good offensive linemen is EXTREMELY tight and thus extremely expensive.

Fine points!

The 'new' free agent market for OL will be higher in terms of annual salary, and perhaps also in terms of contract duration, because of their scarcity in free agency, and thus their value to a team in need. Low supply, increasing demand. Teams with quality OL will also write longer duration contracts than in the past, to keep them for a longer period of years, rather than risk losing them in free agency.

I doubt many quality OL will hit FA this year, and for the foreseeable future.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virginia Viking wrote:

The lions may not want to pay Warford since they have Glasgow and Tomlinson at Guard.

The bengals recently spent a first and second rd pick on tackles why would a notoriously cheap organization who is out of the playoffs pay for a 33 year old LT. Plus, Zeitler will be a bigger priority for them.

The Ravens have a history of letting good OL walk in FA. Maybe they let Wagner walk.

Maybe Reiff wants to return to Left tackle and get paid accordingly. The lions already have a good LT.

The Packers rarely resign their own FAs over 30, I doubt they pay much to retain Lang. JC Tretter may be more valuable to them.

FAs move to new teams all the time, why will this year be any different? I think we may end up with a healthy amount of good starting OL simply because the open market will overpay for these players. I'm fine breaking the bank for one good OL but drafting will be crucial.

Last edited by vikingsrule on Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because good LTs never hit free agency. The LTs that do hit free agency are middling at best.

Thx to Lil Uno!
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Because good LTs never hit free agency. The ones that do typically are middling at best.

Agreed. But plenty of good Guards hit the open market and to a lesser extent, right tackle.

Vikes will have to draft a LT and resign Kalil.

LT, RG and RT are all needs along the OL.

Could stand to upgrade RB, UT, OLB and S too.

Last edited by vikingsrule on Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawann Short may be who I covet the most. He's exactly what Zimmer needs on defense.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Kawann Short may be who I covet the most. He's exactly what Zimmer needs on defense.

yeah, I think he's a logical choice to go after.

I kinda hope we target LT and RB in the draft somewhere along the line.

if we can get a decent DT and RT in Free Agency, I'd say that's a good haul.

and then just some depth players.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't much, if anything about him, but what are people's thoughts on Akeem Spence either taking on the Tom Johnson role or as a potential replacement for Floyd?

Thx to Lil Uno!
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
I don't much, if anything about him, but what are people's thoughts on Akeem Spence either taking on the Tom Johnson role or as a potential replacement for Floyd?

Could be a good option, fits the mold of an undersized UT. I think Johnson could end up being released. He wasn't a factor this year and makes a decent amount for a limited role player.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be a bit worried about signing a high-end FA to the defensive line. That would be a really expensive line with Griffen, Linval and Robison all on decently sized contracts, and we'll need to give Hunter big money in 2 years. We would definitely need to cut Floyd to make that happen.

Zimmer seems to be pretty good at developing DL talent; I think we would be fine rolling with Stephen/Johnson and adding a mid-round rookie.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting at least one (preferably two) offensive tackles in free agency is an absolute necessity. We don't have a single viable tackle on the roster (maybe Sirles), and we can't go into next season with all our hopes on a bunch of rookies working out.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heimdallr wrote:
I would be a bit worried about signing a high-end FA to the defensive line. That would be a really expensive line with Griffen, Linval and Robison all on decently sized contracts, and we'll need to give Hunter big money in 2 years. We would definitely need to cut Floyd to make that happen.

Zimmer seems to be pretty good at developing DL talent; I think we would be fine rolling with Stephen/Johnson and adding a mid-round rookie.

Definitely a good point in regards to signing a high end FA DT. If that happens though, I'd assume Floyd could be used as trade bait for a draft pick or player.

I don't mind if the DL is an expensive group, it typically is considering the premium on pass rushers in this league. Plus our LBs and DBs are still pretty cheap. By the time Barr and Kendricks get new deals, we may have cheaper replacements taking over Griffens and Robison's spots. I'd assume Hunter would be one of those players but there is still a need for two more DEs in the next 2-3 years, might be a draft day priority for the middle of the draft this year. Zimmer seems to like those third round DEs.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 1 of 32

Jump to: