Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Savage named the starter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amazingandre

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Savage named the starter Reply with quote

Tom's era has begun. I am anxious to see him. At this point I have no idea what to think about him starting for us, but he cannot be worse than we have seen from Brock all year
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the alert just now. Interesting to see how he does the last 2 regular season games and the Wildcard game assuming we make it to the playoffs. I was one of the ones who loved the Brock signing but even I cant defend him anymore. A change was needed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really did like Savage coming out of Pitt. Couldn't be any worst than Brock. Appears to be a very good move.

Wonder what will happen with Brock going forward.
Most expensive Back-up ever going forward into next season or cut him outright?
amazingandre

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingTitan wrote:
I really did like Savage coming out of Pitt. Couldn't be any worst than Brock. Appears to be a very good move.

I think we will try like hell to trade him. IF SAVAGE plays well enough.

I think we would be ok with Savage, Weeden and a rookie
dsorc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I wish they would have kept the subterfuge until game time. I mean, it was a given that Savage would start, and you want to let your team know, but I would try to leave a little guessing room for the opposing team.

I expect Savage will do worse this week than last. Cincy will be specifically scouting last week's game to see if there are any tendencies they can exploit which is something Jax could not scout.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
KingTitan wrote:

Cutting or trading him = $25 MILLION cap hit. Best we can do is designate him a post-June 1 release and have a $19 million cap hit in 2017 and $6 million cap hit in 2018. Weeden is already overpriced as a 34 year old with a 6-19 career record and 76 rating counting $2.1 against the cap. We still would need another backup and even a career backup like Chase Daniel drew a $21 million deal last offseason and damaged starters like RG3 & Foles drew $15 & $12 million on 2 year deals.

Any scenario cripples our chances to improve the roster outside of the draft and ensures John Simon, AJ Bouye, and other pending FA's are goners. Trading for Garroppolo would have made some sense, but it's going to take a 2017 2nd rounder and another high 2018 pick to get him and since we need all of our picks just to fill the roster due to the massive dead space Ossy (and Cushing) will create, I don't see it happening. Heck, bringing in Romo would have been an option, but he's going to cost at least the $12 million Fitz got.

Savage was a massive improvement over Ossy for 3 quarters, but there is a reason 6 other QBs have started ahead of him over the past 3 years. There have been some nice glimpses of potential, but even Ossy played pretty well at home this season until this week and unlike Savage and the others behind our duct tape o-lines he has at least been durable. I was pleasantly surprised to see Savage get up from a few hits already, but I'm not even going to think about him being our QB next year, until he makes it thru the next 3 weeks without suffering another season ender.

Recovering Texans Season Ticket Holder
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
Honestly, I wish they would have kept the subterfuge until game time. I mean, it was a given that Savage would start, and you want to let your team know, but I would try to leave a little guessing room for the opposing team.

I expect Savage will do worse this week than last. Cincy will be specifically scouting last week's game to see if there are any tendencies they can exploit which is something Jax could not scout.

This weeks game means literally nothing in the standings

^CalhounLambeau on the sick sig^
dsorc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
dsorc wrote:

Only true if the Titans wins against Jacksonville. Granted that is the likeliest scenario. But, come on, a little gamesmanship never hurt anybody. What does O'Brien gain by telling the media who is going to start? You don't get much by withholding information but it is more than you gain by giving it away.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
dsorc wrote:

Only true if the Titans wins against Jacksonville. Granted that is the likeliest scenario. But, come on, a little gamesmanship never hurt anybody. What does O'Brien gain by telling the media who is going to start? You don't get much by withholding information but it is more than you gain by giving it away.

No, it pretty much means nothing. Even if we lose, win against Tennessee still gets us the division because sweeping the division. It's really a very outside shot at a wild card that Houston would need a win here for.
Darn. I want a superb owl. I only have this POS barn owl. Hedwig would be a major upgrade.
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longhorns90 wrote:
dsorc wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
dsorc wrote:

No, it pretty much means nothing. Even if we lose, win against Tennessee still gets us the division because sweeping the division. It's really a very outside shot at a wild card that Houston would need a win here for.

We can't get the wildcard spot, but we can clinch Saturday night if the Titans lose. So we will know by gametime whether or not it matters.

We have a good chance of playing Sunday night against the Titans.

No need to cut Brock. He would still be a high end back up. No point in paying 19 million and not having a decent back up QB

^S/o to El Ramster for the amazing sig
Longhorns90

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
We can't get the wildcard spot

https://goo.gl/8WOm8m

I beg to differ.
Darn. I want a superb owl. I only have this POS barn owl. Hedwig would be a major upgrade.
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longhorns90 wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
We can't get the wildcard spot

https://goo.gl/8WOm8m

I beg to differ.

I tried and tried on that thing and never could get us the wildcard spot

^S/o to El Ramster for the amazing sig
mse326

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
KingTitan wrote:

Cutting or trading him = $25 MILLION cap hit. Best we can do is designate him a post-June 1 release and have a $19 million cap hit in 2017 and $6 million cap hit in 2018. Weeden is already overpriced as a 34 year old with a 6-19 career record and 76 rating counting $2.1 against the cap. We still would need another backup and even a career backup like Chase Daniel drew a $21 million deal last offseason and damaged starters like RG3 & Foles drew $15 & $12 million on 2 year deals.

Any scenario cripples our chances to improve the roster outside of the draft and ensures John Simon, AJ Bouye, and other pending FA's are goners. Trading for Garroppolo would have made some sense, but it's going to take a 2017 2nd rounder and another high 2018 pick to get him and since we need all of our picks just to fill the roster due to the massive dead space Ossy (and Cushing) will create, I don't see it happening. Heck, bringing in Romo would have been an option, but he's going to cost at least the $12 million Fitz got.

Savage was a massive improvement over Ossy for 3 quarters, but there is a reason 6 other QBs have started ahead of him over the past 3 years. There have been some nice glimpses of potential, but even Ossy played pretty well at home this season until this week and unlike Savage and the others behind our duct tape o-lines he has at least been durable. I was pleasantly surprised to see Savage get up from a few hits already, but I'm not even going to think about him being our QB next year, until he makes it thru the next 3 weeks without suffering another season ender.

Trading him is only $9 million against the cap. We'd be responsible for prorated bonus but not guaranteed salary. The $16 million would follow him to the receiving team

And cutting Cushing leaves only about $4 million dead. Not a pittance but not massive.

#JDI
indifference

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osweiler freakin' stinks its amazing you all have 8 wins on the season. Dude makes Rob Johnson look like Jim Kelly.
ManInTheMirror

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
Longhorns90 wrote:
dsorc wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
dsorc wrote:

We can't get the wildcard spot, but we can clinch Saturday night if the Titans lose. So we will know by gametime whether or not it matters.

We have a good chance of playing Sunday night against the Titans.

No need to cut Brock. He would still be a high end back up. No point in paying 19 million and not having a decent back up QB

He's not even decent.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: